Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmups
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 
Excellent Member

YOG wrote:
I really didn't like it. It's gorgeous, but it's a Euroshmup through and through, with simple whack-a-mole stage design, farty underpowered weapons, and a timing system in place of lives (you lose seconds off the clock instead of dying immediately, etc). I haven't seen such a frustrating penalty for getting hit since the original Darius, either; rather than simply being partially or fully lost, your power-ups spread out across the screen, supposedly giving you a chance to pick them back up again. Quite often, though, they'll be ejected in one big lump headed straight for one of the edges of the screen, which will mean an instant loss of everything if you're already close to an edge. And then you're left to play with a peashooter and slowly try to regain your power. It's just full of tedious shit like that*. It also has a rubbish story (hailed as a work of genius by professional journos) that breaks up the action every few minutes.

So, aye, I can't really recommend it. I heard it was dirt cheap on the PC, though - if that's true, you might as well try it and see what you think. You can definitely squeeze some fun out of the arcade mode. Make sure you have an analogue controller, though. It's not for standard sticks/d-pads/arrow keys...

After paying about 3€ for it, i have to agree with you. Enemy ships in shmups shouldn't have health bars on it. It just shows how weak your are. Besides, the pacing is all wrong when most of the levels are spent on boss battles and navigating the very annoying environmental obstacles. And also the story disrupts the action, even when you can speed up the dialogue.

It looks beautiful, but it only makes me want to play Jamestown or Progear.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:58 
Kvnt

Ginga Force release date confirmed. It's Valentine's day!

That's this one, btw:

As mentioned above, Eschatos is fucking brilliant, and this is from the same folks, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Edit: also, the Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets pack is getting a budget release in February according to some websites. This is region-free. I was actually going to try and get a copy of it over the Christmas period, but I can certainly hang on for another couple of months, heh.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 23:01 
Participant in dramatic games

current;y playing raiden legacy on the iCade..

I'VE GOT A LITTLE RAIDEN ARCADE CABINET IN MY HOUSE
etc...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 23:05 
Bad Girl

I'm playing Pixeljunk's Shooter (or is it called shoot em up).

And it's hyperaceballsgreat. It's Gradius, Salamander, R-Type and them bullet hell thingies. It's probably a bit tame for the likes of YOG but I think it's groovy.

No, hang on, it's called Side Scroller.

PS: it's ace.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:37 
Kvnt

Not much different from the last, but here's the new Ginga Force trailer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 16:19 
It's all pish

YOG wrote:
Not much different from the last, but here's the new Ginga Force trailer.

Must say, it looks a little... dull. I don't like the perspective-switching stuff either. Is it region free YOG, or Japan only?

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 17:30 
Kvnt

I believe so, aye. Eschatos (by the same dev) was region-free, so the odds are good this one will be left alone, too. I'll keep you informed, anyway!

The perspective-changes seem incongruous and annoying at first, but they weren't bad at all in Eschatos - it flashed up these green lines to show you the new borders of the play area each time, so you wouldn't suffer any cheap deaths, etc. This one looks like it might have actual 3D movement, though...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 15:12 
Kvnt

The budget release of Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets is now available to pre-order: http://www.play-asia.com/Muchi_Muchi_Po ... -5u8b.html

Also, ShmupMAME 4 is out: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30659

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 0:23 
Kvnt

360 version of Akai Katana is currently a piddling £6 on Amazon UK. Go!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 13:03 
Kvnt

From Eurogamer:

Quote:
Former Digital Reality creative director Theodore Reiker - best known for his work on the shockingly sophisticated shmup [loooooool -YOG], Sine Mora - has left to start a new studio, Prior Games, where he'll be working on another Japanese-Hungarian co-developed shmup for 2014.

Codenamed Project Verona, little is known about it, but Reiker said in an interview with Joystiq that it would be "more conservative in its gameplay and less ambiguous in its storytelling," and that it will branch out of the genre's conventions.

Reiker also noted that he'll be working on a series of mobile "microgames" in the meantime in the vein of Nintendo's minimalist bit.Generations and Art Style series.

The first of these, Rotolla, is described as "a hybrid of Tetris' gameplay and our mad love of hexagons since Super Hexagon." It will feature a soundtrack by legendary Silent Hill and Sine Mora composer Akira Yamaoka.

"Our plan is to release four microgames this year and a second wave of three titles next year," Reiker explained. "We are a small company and we do not want to grow beyond 15 persons... We would like to keep the 'manufacture' feeling even if the company size is limiting the scope of our output."

Best of luck to them. Here's hoping the Japanese side isn't just doing the artwork and music this time, eh? :p

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 
Kvnt

MOSS (Raiden III, IV) have a new one coming out on the 360 soon: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/31/ne ... htPkex5.99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:10 
Kvnt

Caladrius is now available to pre-order. No word on it being region-free, but I'll put the links here for any NTSC-J playaz:

Limited Edition

Joe Sixpack Edition

Also, if you've pre-ordered Ginga Force via Play-Asia, you might want to cancel it and order it again, as they've dropped the price by $7.

Edit: totally forgot to mention that DoDonPachi Saidaioujou is supposed to be getting an Xbox release this summer. In PAL/NTSC-U territories, too!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 18:48 
Kvnt

Lots of Ginga Force footage in this stream.

They're trying the easy mode here, but you can still get a fair idea of how it plays.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:47 
Kvnt

ShmupMAME 4.2 is out.

A reminder of what's newly playable (or finally working properly) in version 4:

Baryon: Future Assault
Batsugun
DoDonPachi II: Bee Storm
Dogyuun
Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa (System 16)
FixEight
Planet Probe
Silver Millenium
V-Five

(A couple of which are more curiosities than must-plays, but still!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 15:19 
Kvnt

http://www.playism-games.com/games/satazius/

Satazius is now available on Playism ($5.99), for anyone who didn't or can't get it through the other outlets. Though I'm skint, I'm actually considering paying for it a third time. What a mug.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:21 
Worst

YOG wrote:
http://www.playism-games.com/games/satazius/

Satazius is now available on Playism ($5.99), for anyone who didn't or can't get it through the other outlets. Though I'm skint, I'm actually considering paying for it a third time. What a mug.

that site wrote:
Retro chick arcade gaming at its finest!

How can I resist?

Looks good, though. A big Amiga-ish, grafx wise, admittedly, but I'm sure it's fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 22:03 
Kvnt

Rising Star Games "won't bring over any more Cave games". DFK and AK "terribly underperformed". :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50780571&postcount=5100

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 
Kvnt

Milestone president arrested, company apparently closed.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 13:13 
Kvnt

Moss have uploaded some gameplay clips for each of the Caladrius characters:
Alex
Kei
Maria

Pretty promising. Looks slower than Seibu's other games, but I'll bet it doesn't take long to get a lot nastier...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:49 
Kvnt

More Caladrius gameplay.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:41 
Kvnt

Just to confirm that Caladrius is not region-free. If you have a J360, though, it's shipping now...

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 21:25 
Worst

I mentioned in another thread that I have been tinkering with my PSP.

This has included searching for PSX shmups I hadn't played (a lot of them, as I was dazzled by 'modernity' at the time), but also a bit of arcadey stuff where possible.

DoDonPachi is difficult, but I like the way it's emulated:

Attachment:
DoDonPachi.JPG

Hee :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14 
Kvnt

bcass wrote:
Just saw this announced on the shmups twitter feed - Ginga Force is now available on the Hong Kong Games On Demand service for the princely sum of $299HK. The download isn't IP locked either, so you can buy it from any region on any region console with a HK gamertag. I bought it within the UK using a HK gamertag linked to my UK paypal account and it came to £25.63. More than most shmup GoD titles for some reason but still significantly cheaper than 2nd hand copies.

(Of course, you may want to go for the Eschatos & Ginga Force Wonder Pack, which was recently released.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 16:41 
Worst

That pic was supposed to be portrait! D pad at the bottom, fire at the top.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 14:56 
Worst

YOG: Do you have Bangaio Spirits? From being half-decent at the DC version, I remember there was that bomb that was stronger, the more bullets were near you. I can't figure it out on the DS, and it's the key play mechanic! Dying in seconds.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 15:05 
Kvnt

In Spirits I think you charge it up manually - proximity to bullets makes your missiles bigger, but you have to charge for a couple of seconds to fire loads of them. Should be one of the shoulder buttons? It's called the "EX attack" or something, and I think you can map it to any button you want.

(There are loads of different weapons you can use for your EX attacks, and you can combine them for different effects, so be sure to experiment!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 15:09 
Worst

Thanks. I'll have a look. The opening levels in each mode are making mincemeat of me!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 15:14 
Kvnt

Yeah, the structure of it is weird. It's a shitload of random levels that aren't even in order of difficulty or anything, so just skip around and play the ones that are fun. I think it's like this partly because the level editor was intended to be the main attraction (they were really pushing the weird sound-recording method of sharing levels), but there are still plenty of good levels from Treasure in there...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 16:10 
Worst

Ah, now I remember. You wait and charge, as the danger nears! It definitely seems worth having; they just seem to have spent more time on how to play the game than the game itself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 13:49 
Hibernating Druid

Any good shooters I should look out for on the PS3?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 15:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Super Stardust HD.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 17:21 
Bad Girl

Pixel junk: Shooter, is nice and there might be a trial. There's some obscure PS2 shooters from crazy Japan knocking about inside PSN too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 21:35 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Super Stardust HD.

:this: I'll even play co-op with you. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 23:21 
Kvnt

Ikaruga greenlit for Steam.

Here's hoping its (vastly superior) forebear will follow!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 23:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yay! I can buy Ikaruga... Again. :smug:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 0:32 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
There's a chum of mine so hardcore he has an Ikaruga tattoo(not to mention the song he wrote...), and even he's sick to death of the damn game. Honestly, I don't think this is going to do very well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 23:50 
Kvnt

Groupees are doing a Doujin Bundle 2. It includes some really nice titles, such as Exceed 2 and 3, Armed Seven and Hellsinker. It also has Kamui, a lavish Raystorm clone which happens to be one of my all-time favourite games.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:27 
Kvnt

Neo XYX (NG:Dev.Team's new Toaplan-style shooter for MVS/Dreamcast) is looking good!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:32 

Was playing a bit of Sine Mora the other night. It looks bonnie enough, but the bullets disappear into the lovely backgrounds a bit too often for my liking :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 0:05 
Kvnt

Be sure to check out Twin Tiger Shark on XBLIG (and OUYA). Really nice bit of Toaplan-worship.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 19:30 
Hello Hello Hello

I see Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours has appeared on Steam, at the rather eye-watering price of £29.99. (Although apparently they're after £49.99 on PS4? :o )

A very positive review at Eurogamer - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... urs-review

And well regarded (from a limited pool of reviews) at Metacritic - http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... e-saviours

I'm a huge fan of the Darius arcade games (I remember first seeing the original immense three-screen cabinet at an arcade in Blackpool in the 80s and being totally blown away by it), and have revisited the whole series over the years for many, many hours in MAME. (Darius Gaiden in particular I can play and play and play.)

For £15 I'd probably have dived straight in with Chronicle Saviours, but £30 is a bit too rich for a single shmup. I've added it to my wishlist and will wait for a sale.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 14:27 

I want this. But 60 euros. Wow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 14:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Never in the history of Steam has a game had 'more than half off in the next sale' written over it more than this one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 22:36 
Hibernating Druid

Nicey but pricey! I'll pick it up for PS4 when its inevitably £10.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 0:20 

Is there a psn warnng service which will mail me or im me when it does reach that magic price?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 14:09 

Now downloading astebreed as a stopgap.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... eed-review

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:37 
Hello Hello Hello

romanista wrote:
I want this. But 60 euros. Wow

This is down to £23.99 already. Not long until it's a tenner, I reckon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 13:08 

on ps4?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 15:48 

and darius burgst now is discounted.woohoo! 46% even!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:31 

raiden 5 now out for the bone.. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... n-5-review
microsoft made it a jap xbone exclusive... let's see if they shirt more xboxes out there because of it.

Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next