Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The olympic demonstrations
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 0:56 
lazy eye patch

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can only wonder why, as someone who has never, ever watched the Olympics, why I've never heard any great Olympics anecdotes from those who do watch it.

Even the London Marathon has Paula Radcliffe having a poo; even fucking cricket has tons of amusing little stories. Not so with the Olympics. I've never, ever, heard anyone discussing it (Except for my one Uncle, and my Mum, a bit, once), and thought it was just something that adults dreamed up to force children to go outside and play healthily in the sunshine instead of watching TV. When there were no good cartoons on because instead everyone wanted to see if this man can jump higher than that man.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:26 

Daley Thomson has a moustache and a videogame and Duncan Goodhew is bald. There's two anecdotes right there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:29 

As my chances of getting into the GB shooting squad in time for 2012 are now slim to nothing, I don't really give a shit about the Olympics. That said, it's just not right that they're being held in a country like China.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:45 
Sitting balls-back folder

I knew there was something bugging me about the sporty types wondering why they're supposed to do something/be special somehow*...

They are going to China as ambassadors for their country, aren't they? That's why the uproar is amplified when they get caught cheating on an international platform where they're representing their countries.

So you might feel they do have a bit more of an opportunity than most to get a message across.

Edit: If they just don't give a shit that's fine (well, their prerogative), but at least be honest about it. Or are they worried they might not be allowed to go if they say that to the media that broadcasts their words to millions?

* Or 'parroting the script they seem to have been given'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:55 
Gogmagog

I was particularly amused by the canadian snowboarder that got done for having ganja in his bloodstream and was going to be stripped of his medal or somesuch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:20 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

MaliA wrote:
I was particularly amused by the canadian snowboarder that got done for having ganja in his bloodstream and was going to be stripped of his medal or somesuch.

That was hysterical, what did they expect?...I'm sure the reason they didn't do that is they couldn't find a snowboarder who DIDN'T have the ganja in their system.

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2