Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The olympic demonstrations
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hurrah for the guy who managed to grab the torch (boo to the fact he might have upset the lovely Connie Huq, but never mind), in my opinion, it's just a shame he didn't put it out.
I think the whole fucking thing is a farce, personally. Redgrave is spouting on about "how the olypics inspires children across the world", but he never says what it actually inspires them to do - become athletes, I suppose, and continue the great big circle of uselessness.

I have more, but I'll save it in case I'm going to get a lynching ;)

Post subject: Re: The olympic demonstrations
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:04 
Rakish Member

The torch has now been extinguished twice due to the French protesters and carried part of the route by bus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think it's a shame to disrupt parts of the olympics, especially when it can be so important to so many people (getting to carry the torch, for example, can be one of the proudest moments of a fan's life - imagine getting to parade through the streets of your home town carrying the FA Cup your team has just won), but I think the IOC has got a lot to answer for in allowing Beijing to host the games. Are they idiots?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:05 

I agree about the pointlessness of athletics and I'd rather watch crown green bowling than a load of fucking running races and throwing things. What about the China thing though? I feel like I should be backing all the protests but then I'd either be a massive hypocrite or have to stop enjoying all the cheap electronic goodies they're churning out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:07 
Hibernating Druid

The torch should be thrown and swam with too. The Olympics isn't just for runners.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:08 
Rakish Member

I hope the BBC boycott the Olympics. It makes me realise what the World Cup must be like for people who hate football.

The winter Olympics are much more entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

KevR wrote:
I hope the BBC boycott the Olympics.

Yeah, that'll happen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:10 

KevR wrote:
It makes me realise what the World Cup must be like for people who hate football.

It's not even close.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:16 
Sitting balls-back folder

markg wrote:
What about the China thing though? I feel like I should be backing all the protests but then I'd either be a massive hypocrite or have to stop enjoying all the cheap electronic goodies they're churning out.

Yep, China have got everyone bent over a barrel - as soon as they get wind of a government (or a sports commission, or someone/thing else prominent) even thinking about publicly criticising China and the IOC going ahead with their games...

"So, Mr Head Politician Guy, you like our massively cheap goods of all varieties and want them to carry on arriving on your shore for longer than the next half hour, yes? You would maybe like to see your economy last longer than about two days from now?"

(Same goes for their ever-increasing pollution and consumption of resources, of course)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:16 
Most Excellent Pagan Wench

I love the games usually, but you are right..if we want to inspire kids where are the huge range of facilities to let do their thing???
And as for the games this time..I feel sorry for anyone stupid enough to go and compete in that smog and pollution.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:17 
Isn't that lovely?

I like the olympics, I don't like what China is doing to the Tibetan people. I don't really like the olympic organisers.

I don't really see what me not watching the olympics will achieve, so I will watch them as normal.

So there.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:20 
Goth

I think the only way they can overcome this is to turn protesting into an olympic event.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Shewolf wrote:
I love the games usually, but you are right..if we want to inspire kids where are the huge range of facilities to let do their thing???

Yesterday a mate and I went to a basketball court to shoot a few hoops, and it was locked up. What the fuck did they think was going to happen - someone might steal the tarmac? Or the hoops which are buried in said tarmac? There's nothing else in there!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:25 

Don't be daft, if it was open kids'd fill it up and have an orgy before selling crack to each other and finally rounding the night off with some gunplay.

Just think of the Health and Safety report.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:33 

I'm in agreement with Malc.

I love the Olympics - it's the sporting 'event' which most goes to show what the human body can achieve - precision, speed, strength all in display at their highest. I love the games because it is such a display of individual endeavor. I especially like the athletics and gymnastics because they simply amaze me - all of the individual sports do. I'm not a fan of the team sports within the Olympics because, as I say, t me it is about individual achievement. I love the winter games, also.

I'm sickened by the Chinese treatment of the Tibetans - it should never have been awarded to China in the first place, but it's done now, and there's no going back. I feel sorry for the athletes - many of them will only have one shot at competing in the Olympics, and it is going to be tainted by this stupid decision of the IOC. I'd never suggest that people should put pressure on the athletes to boycott the games, because the Olympics is the height of their sporting career for most of the sportsmen and women that have a chance to take part and it's not their decision nor actions that have bought the games to China. and I don't think it would be fair to pressurize them to forego their one opportunity to compete in the world's biggest sporting showcase.

I think that the torch passed by my house from Wembley stadium, but I was not there, but I fully support the protesters in their protest against the Chinese government, but not against the athletes themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:34 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Personal Declaration: I like watching the Olympics

However, I am in complete agreement with the protestors. The argument that politics should stay out of sport is a complete nonsense, the Chinese Olympics are a political event (and of course a huge commercial opportunity).

The Olympics and the Chinese are a match made in hell. The Olympics for all the bollocks about the spirit of competition and the nobility of pure sporting endeavour have become in fact a huge, corpulent commercial money making machine and sport be damned. They have as much to do with the Corinthian spirit as my arse...in fact my arse has more to do with the Corinthian spirit as (to my knowledge) my arse is drug free.

The Chinese for their part are using it as a vehicle for international legitimacy and for all the talk of loosening social controls for the games as soon as they are finished the controls will be restored, the repression of rights will continue and it will be business as usual. That Business being getting western companies to tie themselves and spin themselves in knots reconciling human rights with making loads of lovely money.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

With that in mind, should England ever have won the right to host the Olympics? The rest of the world is still pretty pissed about the Iraq thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:21 

Craster wrote:
I think it's a shame to disrupt parts of the olympics, especially when it can be so important to so many people (getting to carry the torch, for example, can be one of the proudest moments of a fan's life - imagine getting to parade through the streets of your home town carrying the FA Cup your team has just won), but I think the IOC has got a lot to answer for in allowing Beijing to host the games. Are they idiots?

This pretty much, by giving the olympics, as much about the world coming together as sport itself to a nation like that, they deserve everything they get protest wise.

Quote:
With that in mind, should England ever have won the right to host the Olympics? The rest of the world is still pretty pissed about the Iraq thing.

Interesting, but I can't quite see that on the same scale as Tibet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dudley wrote:
Quote:

That's because you live in the UK.
When I went to Spain last year, the papers are full of the cuntishness of the UK. Also, McLaren are racist gits :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:24 
Sleepyhead

I'm surprised at the French, giving up so easily like that...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:27 

Grim... wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Quote:

That's because you live in the UK.
When I went to Spain last year, the papers are full of the cuntishness of the UK. Also, McLaren are racist gits :)

Indeed, I even nearly added something very similar to my post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:35 

Grim... wrote:

Meh, the London Olympics has always been quite openly talked about as a means to bring in millions of tourists and their beautiful billions of Pounds of money. The rest of the world can keep them.

Sorry, I mean Ra ra! Britain is great! Ra!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:49 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

BikNorton wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Meh, the London Olympics has always been quite openly talked about as a means to bring in millions of tourists and their beautiful billions of Pounds of money. The rest of the world can keep them.

Sorry, I mean Ra ra! Britain is great! Ra!

Personally I think the world got together to conspire to give London the olympics...as a punishment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:03 
Can you dig it?

I would've joined in a protest if I wasn't so lazy, and prone to being quickly taken by apathy. Also, my wife was cooking a lovely dinner that day.

I'd never suggest that the atheletes should boycott something they'd worked so long and hard to reach (not that they'd listen to me anyway) but it'd be cool if they atteneded and competed but did it in protest - wearing joke shackles and gimp masks and things.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:11 
lazy eye patch

Morte wrote:
Personally I think the world got together to conspire to give London the olympics...as a punishment to non-Londoners

FTFY.

I agree with Grim...'s initial post. Also, I've already had to giggle and splutter a few times today, in response to various talking heads saying "The Olympics have no place for politics" or "If we let politics interrupt the olympics, we're establishing dangerous precedent". Fucking high-larious. Look on Wikipedia if need be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:18 
What-ho, chaps!

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I would've joined in a protest if I wasn't so lazy, and prone to being quickly taken by apathy. Also, my wife was cooking a lovely dinner that day.

I'd never suggest that the atheletes should boycott something they'd worked so long and hard to reach (not that they'd listen to me anyway) but it'd be cool if they atteneded and competed but did it in protest - wearing joke shackles and gimp masks and things.

I just had a very bizarre daydream where everybody in the olypics competed, but they were being ridiculously lazy in protest, walking around the track and such.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That would be awesome, but they're all so fucking full of themselves they could never bring themselves to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:22 

It would be hard though, if you were representing some tiny country in one of the Olympic running races and knew you were a bit shit, not just to suddenly sprint for the line near the end. That's what I'd do anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:24 
Gogmagog

If I were an athlete, and I'd fucking trained every single day of my fucking professional life to get the chance to win an olympic gold, and then the government turned around and said "Nah, sorry mate, you can't go due to us losing face if we send a team to china even though other countries are doing much the same" I'd be pretty fucked off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:39 

Sometimes you need to refocus your perspective based on other stuff - be fucked off all you like (I would be) but recognise that ultimately being able to run a half-circle faster, or throw a stick farther, than any of the other people doing so on that day might not be quite as important as indicating to China that oppressing and killing some people whose homeland they've occupied for quite a while isn't really cricket, and to other governments that letting them get away with it - indeed, apparently condoning it - isn't really on.

This post brought to you by a mouse and keyboard made in China.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
If I were an athlete, and I'd fucking trained every single day of my fucking professional life to get the chance to win an olympic gold, and then the government turned around and said "Nah, sorry mate, you can't go due to us losing face if we send a team to china even though other countries are doing much the same" I'd be pretty fucked off.

Perhaps the government could turn round and say "Nah, sorry mate, perhaps you could do something fucking worthwhile with your life. Also, we're going to stop fucking paying you for running around."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:44 

BikNorton wrote:
This post brought to you by a mouse and keyboard made in China.

Exactly, I heard Steve Redgrave saying that he would support any boycott as long as sportspeople weren't the only ones being asked to make a sacrifice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:45 
lazy eye patch

MaliA wrote:

Well, at least he has the right to protest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:50 
Isn't that lovely?

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Perhaps the government could turn round and say "Nah, sorry mate, perhaps you could do something fucking worthwhile with your life. Also, we're going to stop fucking paying you for running around."

Sports are not worthwile?

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Not really, IMHO. Not when I have to pay people to do them, anyway.

See also: Theatres.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:05 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Best Olympic Protest Ever

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:33 
Sleepyhead

If a winning athlete were to go up to get his/her gold medal, and then as the anthem was being played, pull out a big "Free Tibet" sign, that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:39 
Isn't that lovely?

Morte wrote:

I was reading about them the other week, they got into real trouble for that, and I don't think they ever raced again for America.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:41 
lazy eye patch

And yet, I have heard of them, and they had an impact, unlike 95% of all Olympics contestants.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:43 

Sometimes the negativity on these forums makes me feel sad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:50 
Isn't that lovely?

CUS wrote:
And yet, I have heard of them, and they had an impact, unlike 95% of all Olympics contestants.

That's bollocks. 95% of olympians might not have made an impact on you, or most of the world. But to say their experiences have not had an impact on themselves is utter crock.

I don't understand you CUS, since setting up WoB you've really changed (or maybe it's just my perception of you). There seems to be lots of snipping these days, when before it's was just rambling a stream of posts.

I had no other point other than to say they got punished for their protests.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
CUS wrote:

That's bollocks. 95% of olympians might not have made an impact on you, or most of the world. But to say their experiences have not had an impact on themselves is utter crock.

I must confess I'm struggling to see where he said that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:52 
Excellent Member

CUS wrote:

There's Sebastian Coe...

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:58 
lazy eye patch

The giving of the Black Panthers salture during that Olympics, was an incredibly powerful moment in world history, and I'm not going into the specifics of why and how. It had a massive impact on the world. The bloke who came in third for on the 100 Metre Dash, in 1994 (or whatever)? Not so much. Just because you are involved in a big event, it does not make you special, it does not mean you were important, you were merely "there". Please tell me specifically how would you disagree with this.

Quote:

Malc, I didn't say that. I've had completely fucking enough of people massively misquoting me and in fact, just plain making shit up. This is a perfect example of such. You've just agreed with me, and then accused me of saying something completely different, and that therefore my original point (that you agreed with) was bollocks? I see.

Quote:
I don't understand you CUS, since setting up WoB you've really changed (or maybe it's just my perception of you). There seems to be lots of snipping these days, when before it's was just rambling a stream of posts.

I don't see what your opinion of me has to do with the Olympics or the demonstrations, but feel free to start a thread calling me a cunt, I'm sure it'll be very popular. I won't stoop to your level.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 17:42 
Sleepyhead

Morte wrote:

If they agreed to do the fist thingy, they should have at least done it with the same arm. Tsk tsk, olympic protesters!

:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 18:04 
Isn't that lovely?

CUS wrote:
The giving of the Black Panthers salture during that Olympics, was an incredibly powerful moment in world history, and I'm not going into the specifics of why and how. It had a massive impact on the world. The bloke who came in third for on the 100 Metre Dash, in 1994 (or whatever)? Not so much. Just because you are involved in a big event, it does not make you special, it does not mean you were important, you were merely "there". Please tell me specifically how would you disagree with this.

Quote:

Malc, I didn't say that. I've had completely fucking enough of people massively misquoting me and in fact, just plain making shit up. This is a perfect example of such. You've just agreed with me, and then accused me of saying something completely different, and that therefore my original point (that you agreed with) was bollocks? I see.

Quote:

I don't see what your opinion of me has to do with the Olympics or the demonstrations, but feel free to start a thread calling me a cunt, I'm sure it'll be very popular. I won't stoop to your level.

I said it in my reply as I felt your reply was an example of it. I was obviously wrong. Sorry for any missunderstanding.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 18:33 
lazy eye patch

The Olympics are still wank*

*this is an awkward attempt at levity**
*true, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 18:42 
Rakish Member

Still, these demonstrations are entertaining if nothing else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 0:31 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Shewolf wrote:
And as for the games this time..I feel sorry for anyone stupid enough to go and compete in that smog and pollution.

Roll on 2012!

Nirejhenge wrote:
I think the only way they can overcome this is to turn protesting into an olympic event.

You, sir, are a genius.

I'm not at all interested in the Olympics (although if you think the fuss about the 2012 bid was annoying for those of you who didn't live in London, just imagine how infuriating it was if you did, and you wanted the whole thing to just fuck off and the government to stop spending your money on promoting it just so their business mates can make a packet off it. Everywhere you went, there were signs reading "BACK THE BID". FUCK YOU. If you want my support, give me a fucking reason and ask for it, you unbearably smug shitwicks), but I don't think that sport and athletics are worthless. They're a significant part of most cultures going back thousands of years, and every bit as valid in terms of inspiration and achievement as poetry or philosophy.

The Olympics, however, is another matter, as it's little but an excercise in crass commercialism complicated by international politics.

If they brought back the Hoplites and the chariot race though, I'd watch that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 0:34 
Most Excellent Pagan Wench

I shoulda been in the Olympics myself by now.
Sighface.

I do like and support the Olympics, mostly. If only we could provide ample resources for young people, it can be damned hard to get into sport however good you might be.
Fair play to those who do it for the love of their sport.

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next