Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mass Effect: Jiggy-jiggy time
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 13:45 

I'm playing Mass Effect and I've got two NPCs sniffing around my crotch.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
As usual, being a video game tranny I'm a lovely hard-nosed redhead captain of the female persuasion, so I can't nail my soldier lady Ashley, even though through looking at her and talking to her, you know she'd give KD Lang a run for her money.

I'd be up for a bit of cyborglingus with Tali but that ain't going to happen apparently so that leaves the blue chick and GI Joe Kaidan. If I can only do one of them, I'll choose Liara but now he's asking me about her as well, and in the interests of getting as much action as possible, I'm wondering how to shag the pair of them (not simultaneously, obv)?

So I'm not sure if it is possible to play the field in this game, but if anyone knows how, let me know. Or should I just go and play Leisure Suit Larry?

Post subject: Re: Mass Effect: Jiggy-jiggy time
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 13:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm pretty sure you can only make sweet love to one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 13:52 

Righto, I'm not going to disregard a blue alien slut just for a bit of human cock, I'll tell him to fuck off.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 17:47 
Excellent Member

btw, what version is recommended, xbox or pc?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 18:52 
UltraMod

I've been playing the 360 version for the last two days and I'm loving it so far.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 19:47 
making out to faces of death

On the other hand, a PC version is more likely to be hacked about to enable such posited menage-a-trois.

I think there is a snarky evil line you can take where you ask if you can have them both, but I think if you've been playing the romances along, at a point, it comes down to a conversation where people have feelings and need you to choose and stuff. And the soldier woman is such an upright right wing nutter, I am still tempted to play through again as an evil guy to corrupt her.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 20:35 
I forgot about this - how vain

I thoroughly enjoyed the game for about 6 hours, mainly due to the endless conversations (which I know a lot of people hated) it really creates the feeling that you are playing through a sci-fi DVD boxset.

But I chose the wrong class I think (half soldier half tech I think) Basically specializing in sniping which turns out to be really hard (for me) so I keep dying. So I think I need to start over - which I can't face right now. Going to give it a go once the NXE means I can install it to disk (hopefully speeding up the damn lifts).

Whats the best character to make the combat easy? So I can focus on the fun story?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 20:37 

Setting combat to easy worked for me. I think I had a sniper thing, and I had other party members do other stuff. Eventually I did get some hacking and security type skills so I didn't have to waste a party member to open some probe or door or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 21:01 

Yeah I've already tried that. :S

I've played through GoW and CoD2 since though so maybe I've got good enough to get through what is hopefully a difficulty spike.

I just end up using the pistol all the time, and would rather be shooting with the machine gun. Maybe I can start over... But then yeah, I'ld miss the ability to open stuff... hmmm....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 21:31 
What-ho, chaps!

Half soldier, half tech is one of the easiest to play as! You've got guns, and you've got the Electronics skill row.

Your tech skills are special-damage mines of which you have infinite, f'heavens sake! Throw them all over the place (or preferably directly in front of the enemy) in manual-power vision.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 22:06 

MrD wrote:
Half soldier, half tech is one of the easiest to play as! You've got guns, and you've got the Electronics skill row.

Your tech skills are special-damage mines of which you have infinite, f'heavens sake! Throw them all over the place (or preferably directly in front of the enemy) in manual-power vision.

Crappy guns.

Crappy guns.

Ah ok then. Darn. Is it worth training up to be able to use a machine gun or should I just stick with pistol?

Talking of which the slight name change guns tedious inventory management is really grating.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 22:35 

I think I did use the assault rifle, well I gave them out to almost everyone eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 23:53 
Paws for thought

Lave wrote:
Yeah I've already tried that. :S

I've played through GoW and CoD2 since though so maybe I've got good enough to get through what is hopefully a difficulty spike.

I just end up using the pistol all the time, and would rather be shooting with the machine gun. Maybe I can start over... But then yeah, I'ld miss the ability to open stuff... hmmm....

Just use another character to open stuff then. (Indeed, use a combat character to do the combat for you)

Can you not just use the assualt rifle anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 0:23 
Goth

Mass Effect is great as a sci fi tv show but a game. If you're after great combat it's not so good. I really must play it more than the two hours or so I've managed so far.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 

That's why I'm an Adept, and I usually take out my soldier lady and tech robot lady, for a nice even spread. I always have access to any weapon through wossername and thingummybob always opens everything. My adept just singularities any group of smaller enemies, but I've maxed my pistoly goodness for extra firepower.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:19 
Honey Boo Boo

Shagging FAQ:

If you're a female, you can either shag tedious 'angst fucker' Carth Ana... er... Kaiden; or whiny blue saucetress Liara. And obviously, you want to shag Liara, as her blue fanny is delicious.

If you're a male, you can either shag Liara or actually-not-such-a-bitch-once-you-get-to-know-her Ashley. Which I did during my second playthrough as a male character.

You obviously can't shag Tali, as that would require her to take her suit off and her weakened immune system would probably cause her to be allergic to your fanny batter or something.

You *can* shag the Asari Consort... do as she asks and talk to General Septimus in Chora's Den, and then before going back to the Consort, go to the Elcor/Volus embassy (right next door to the human one) and talk to the Elcor who isn't behind the desk. THEN go see the Consort, and after her 'gift of words' say 'That's it?' to get HAWT HAWT SEXENGS.

As I near the end of what should be my final playthrough (Insanity ftw) a few things I've noted:

-getting the ally achievements isn't as hard as you think - do all the subquests on the Citadel (skip the keeper scanning if you like, it takes forever) and all the subquests on the first four planets. The DLC helps too. Once that's done, you should only have to do one or two assignments on other planets and that'll sort you out. Just ensure if you're going for one of the allies that you get a bit later in the story (Liara) that you go straight for them first and ignore all other distractions until they're in your party.
-biotic powers are absolutely brilliant... don't be afraid to pick a class that uses them out of fear of their being a weedy magic-user class. Lift and then Throw will take care of a lot of very tough foes... hardcases like Geth Destroyers or Krogans are easily dealt with in some levels by lifting them and then using throw to propel them off the nearest cliff.
-especially use damping or throw a Krogan before attempting to deliver the final blow, as they have a nasty habit of using Immunity/Barrier/healing themselves. If they're lolling around on the ground because you've just knocked them flying, they can't do so and you can shoot them to death before they get back up.
-use your powers liberally - Overload and Sabotage are your friends if you have 'em.
-when facing annoying things like Creepers or Husks, remember that if you push the attack button while next to an enemy, you'll pistolwhip them. As these things tend to attack in swarms, doing so will keep them on the ground and prevent their using their attacks.
-try to use more than one weapon... assault rifle and shotgun, or sniper and pistol. You'll have enough points to make it usable, and you'll net the achievements before you know it.
-in between firing the Mako's main cannon, use its machinegun to cause a bit more damage to your target.
-the Mako's jets are more for softening landings than jumping.
-recharging the Mako's shields takes FOREVER... you quite literally have time to go for a shit or make a sandwich or mix up a round of cocktails to fully recharge from empty. Or, save the game and then reload it for a much faster recharge.
-don't be afraid to use medigel - quite often you get some for killing enemies.
-the shield generators (that increase your shield power) are the best armour upgrades by far.
-if an enemy charges you (Krogans and large Geth do this), get your biotic to use lift, throw or singularity and watch them sail over your head.
-Throw affects large groups of enemies.
-prioritise your foes in this order: instadeath dealers (snipers, rocket troopers), tanks (Krogans, Geth Destroyers/Juggernauts/Primes), annoyers (Shock Troopers), everything else. Seriously. Early on, or at higher difficulties, a single hit from a sniper or rocket trooper will kill you in a single hit, making them more dangerous than the big bads. Especially as in a fight you might not spot the rocket/laser sight of the enemy before it's too late to dodge.

SUPER DUPER THERUM (Liara's mission) SPLOITZ
You can take the Mako to the boss battle outside the excavation site. Drive it at the gap, and try to get on your right side. Use a combination of spinning the wheels and firing the jumpjets to work your way through.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 18:05 
UltraMod

So can anyone help me with this? I'm a bit stuck on
the bit where you take the vehicle out to Peak 15 on that corporation world thing. Every time I get completely shot up by rockets. Should I be trying to leg it hard or kill them? I've tried both and failed miserably...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 18:08 
Skillmeister

Sit at a distance and pound em. You should have enough leeway to dodge at a distance, but always be accurate with the easy aiming.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 18:10 
Paws for thought

Be Better at the game

Edit : Damn you Dimrill.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 18:59 
Honey Boo Boo

Whenever you fight ANYTHING like that while in the Mako, turn side on to your target, and just push left and right to drive forwards and backwards dodging their shots. Both you and your foes can shoot a fucking long way but this is the best way to do it. Failing that jump out of the way just before the projectile hits.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:53 
UltraMod

Thanks, chaps; that was a lot of help. I'm now in the facility at Peak 15!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 16:10 
Paws for thought

Mine particulary, I hope. It was good advice that works for every situation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 17:22 
Honey Boo Boo

Top tips for Peak 15:

Make sure you do everything you can in the facility itself... including curing the sick people. This is easier than it might sound, and you get to kill the bitchy Asari in the process.

When you encounter Benezia, don't waste your time attacking her... just keep killing the Commandos and geth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:34 
Skillmeister

Top whorage tips for Peak 15:
That turian(?) reptile bloke you need to woo to get his key to leave, well you can whore out his conversation over and over again to raise your paragon or renegade status depending on your responses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:37 
Honey Boo Boo

Further to Dimrill's tip:
Doing so will allow you to max out your Intimidate/Charm skill, which can save you from a very, very annoying battle near the end

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 15:47 
Honey Boo Boo

BUMP (due to interest in Bits and Bobs)

(some minor spoilers follow)

I'm trying to finish this off once and for all. Last night, I was on Feros and, given this is now my FIFTH time through the game (just whoring XP to get Extreme Power Gamer) I was also bored and trying to read teh intarweb instead. And accidentally drove the Mako off the edge of the skyway as I wasn't looking where I was going. And my last save was after clearing the Geth out of the colony. 20 minutes ago. Shit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 0:07 

Few hours in. So far, I really like it. Playing, umm, whatever the bio/weapons multiclass is. Vanguard. I was pleased that the character creator allowed me to create a Japanese/Slavic character, as I've based him on Takeshi Kovacs from the novels. As such I'm mostly Renegade. Some stupid scientist was freaking out after the raid in the opening bit, so I decked the twat. That was satisfying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:01 
Ready for action

Every time I looked at my friends list tonight and noticed you were playing Mass Effect I felt a wee twang of jealousy. I played through it on Jens gamertag and loved it. i think I have to buy it again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:44 
Skillmeister

Gill, you can borrow mine if you like. I've 100%ed it and won't be needing it for a while. PM me your address.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:02 
Ready for action

oh that would be awesome if you didn't mind...I will pm you my address but if you can't be bothered then don't worry about it! :kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:23 
Honey Boo Boo

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Some stupid scientist was freaking out after the raid in the opening bit, so I decked the twat. That was satisfying.

Oh yeah, I always did that, even when playing as a goody.

"Say goodnight, Manuel"

*thump*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 13:12 
Hibernating Druid

Not sure if this is the right Mass Effect thread (couldn't find the main one) but...

Started playing it and enjoying this last night. Up until the fucker froze on me on my way to diffuse the second charge just after the train ride.

Is this common? It's playing off the HD btw.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 13:51 
What-ho, chaps!

You mean right after the starty bit with Nihlus?

No.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 13:54 
Hibernating Druid

Yes.

Ok, I'll see if it freezes again. I didn't know if was a title that didn't like to be run from the HD or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 14:38 
Paws for thought

The games does suffer the occasional lock up, but never consistently replicable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 16:42 
Hibernating Druid

It didn't crash last night but it did turn into Mass Dialogue.

I want more shooty now plz, I want to be a Starship Trooper not fucking Space Columbo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 16:45 
Skillmeister

The start is very dialogue heavy. The Citadel is nowt but errand running shite, and it innitially put me off playing more. Great when you get out on the Normandy and fucking up Thresher Maws (Wullie, is that a lady who's had a baby but shops at cheap off licenses?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 16:52 
Hibernating Druid

Thank the purple headed snake of Obi-Wan, I'm glad it picks up Dimmers.

I am enjoying it, but last night was like being in an octogenarian singles bar. All questions and no action.

Just one more thing...

Was it wrong for me to stay for seven hours in the sleazy club?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 23:57 
Excellent Member

Mass Effect. I bought this full price and was astounded at how the developers/producers/other interested parties managed to take a great concept and yet still fill the universe with the most boring and tedious aliens they possibly could.

Seriously, the whole game goes like this:

Sheppard: So what do you think?

Alien: Mumble, mumble, mumble.....

[Three hours pass]

Alien: Mumble, mumble, mumble.

Sheppard: Oh, really? Can you tell me more? <No, for fuskc sake don't!>

[Three hours pass]

[Brief, unstatisfying action]

Sheppard: Hello, new alien!

[Three hours pass]

[Go to new planet]

[Brief, unsatisfying action]

[Perhaps drive the Mako]

[Useless AI team do nothing to assit in fight]

Sheppard: Excuse me my goood....errr... alien. Could you help us out?

[Three hours pass]

Alien: Mumble, mumbl...

Me: That's enough of that. Off!

[EDIT]

I also hated that shit about having to buy your own weapons! What sort of complete cock of a Government sends its troops off to fight an important war and insist that the troops buy their own equipment? BAH! Surprised they didn't charge a rental on the Mako!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:13 
Hibernating Druid

Indeed.

I am still enjoying it so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:02 

You really have to like the talky talk or you'd hate this game. I liked the taking. I did not like the ham fisted inventory management.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:04 
Hibernating Druid

I like some talky but not too much talky. I think I'm past the big talky now though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 
UltraMod

I should really go back to this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:16 
Hibernating Druid

You have no gaming backbone Myps.

What about Fallout 3, eh? What about Dead Space, hmmm?

pfft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:20 
UltraMod

In my defence, Dimmers sent me Fable II while I was playing Mass Effect. For some reason I can't seem to play two RPGs at once, so knocked ME on the head until I'd finished Fable. Then I got Fallout 3, which I've traded in now in lieu of the OMFGOTY edition coming out later this year, so I could go back to it now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:41 
Hibernating Druid

More shooty shooty last night! Getting to grips with the Zk1llz0®z now, only realised last night that team members target through your ladies drawstring purse rather than targeting their nearest enemy.

I need some better equipment quick sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

RETICLE.

A reticule is a drawstring purse.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:49 
UltraMod

I'm going to ridicle him for years to come about that mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:56 
Hibernating Druid

Craster wrote:
RETICLE.

A reticule is a drawstring purse.

Quick to jump on that chap, Is that what you use?

Fixed now x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've got a mate who says it all the time. I beat him with my draw-string purse.

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next