Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:05 
Hibernating Druid

This game sounds like a turd with aids.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:06 
UltraMod

Zardasher wrote:
This game sounds like a turd with malaria.

FeeX.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:11 
Skillmeister

I was hoping that things would improve/change once I got to the Southern sector. Nope. Same old criss-crossing the map to shoot things, with guardposts inflicting The Poorlies on me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:12 
Sleepyhead

Maybe everyone is playing this on a harder difficulty than I am, or maybe the Dart Rifle is just awesome, but I have never had these problems at all.

Every single check point I can stop before I get to it, sight around a corner and pick off half of the guards with ease. Sure, after a couple go down they'll get spooked and run for cover, but they don't know where you're coming from as you have a quiet weapon. Eventually they'll work it out (especially if you miss a shot), but I've practically never been spotted before I've found the enemy.

Of course, when storming a base/checkpoint there will always be times when they all scarper for cover and you wade in trying to shoot them, and some will have hidden quite well or circled round to attack you from behind. But surely that's the point? At times you wouldn't be able to see where the bullets are coming from other than a general direction, and if you can't pick them out then run away, stab yourself with a syrette, load up and go back to get them from a different angle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:18 
Skillmeister

I use the dart gun and am playing on Easy. You can't avoid those BLOODY JEEPS when you're travelling down a road and the spot you and give chase in their spontaneously faster vehicle. It reached a crescendo for me when I tried to get to the Northwest bus stop in the Southern sector. Just on that north road I got through 3 jeeps as they systematically knacked them, forcing me to turn and fight while weeping at the screen "I just want to catch the bus! Leave me alone!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:25 
Paws for thought

Perhaps the most sensible thing here is to note that I've now been playing for 23 hours 17 minutes. I wouldn't play a shit or boring game that amount.

Unlike Dimrill, I've only once had the poorlies inflicted upon me once by the enemy (most other times has been due to falling off cliff shenanigans)

It's a good game, but it falls short of great by way of certain annoyances.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:28 

Yeah, you can make any game sound shit by ignoring completely all the good stuff and just being a big whingy poo face.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:29 
UltraMod

Remember that Dimrill can't go five feet without getting eaten by zombies in Dead Rising. Some games people just don't get on with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:30 
Paws for thought

I might also point out that were it not for the lovely gamer points hidden inside, I might have given up on this game after an hour or two due to said annoyances.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:31 
Skillmeister

I'll shut up then. But it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:37 
Paws for thought

I just travel on foot beside the road, on by car if on road.

This would explain why Dimrill is so much further ahead of me in less time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:38 
Paws for thought

(Also: We have yet to try out the multiplayer.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:42 

Marigold Periwinkle wrote:

That's a special forum for achievement whores though, I think most normals would enjoy this game greatly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:48 
Paws for thought

Incidentally, I'm a bit confused.

I got the "Completed all the available Underground side-quests in both the North and the South" acheievement. But when I got it I hadn't even unlocked the south. (Indeed, I've only done 3 underground side-quests. That surely can't be all that is available)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 15:59 
Skillmeister

Imagine you're sitting in front of a big cake. The cake is lovely looking, with oodles of chocolate and jam and marzipan and loads of good stuff. Boy are you looking forward to a slice of that cake! You're nice and hungry and have been such a good boy that you deserve that cake. A slice is served up and you start in. As you start masticating you realise It's not the best cake you've ever eaten, but it's good enough in your hungry state.

You're half way through the first slice when the chef kicks you in the shin with his steel toe cap boots. Your eyes unfocus and you stop chewing. Ouch. That hurt and was a bit unwarranted. Maybe the chef had a spasm and it was a mistake. You rub your shin and continue to munch through the slice.

You reach the end and lick your fingers clean. Yum yum. You think about having another lovely slice of cake, as you're still quite hungry. In you go young fella, dig in. Still the same cake and flavours, but by gum it's still quite good. 1/4 of the way through the chef kicks your shin again. You scowl at him, but your hands are too full of cake to retaliate. You take another bite, which is accompanied by another sharp pain to the shin. You're getting quite miffed as well as bruised. You're starting to wonder if maybe another cake would be worth pursuing, when you bite down on something hard. Ooh, it's a shiny sixpence. You scoff the last of the slice down and examine your lovely sixpence. Nice and shiny. It'd be nice to have a collection of these.

It's then that you look to your side and see Mr Dave sitting next to a similar cake baked by the same chef. Cake smears his chops and he's got 3 shiny sixpences in a stack next to him. Plus several purple bruises on his leg. Wow, there must be more of these in here.

Eager to find more, you cut yourself another piece and start to devour. The chef starts to take a run up and sadistically batters your lower leg. You gag and retch. Tears form in your sockets and roll down your cheeks. Your leg. Your precious leg. You drop the cake to the table and double over to weep. After a couple of minutes sobbing, your vision clears of tears and you see a sparkle. A shiny sixpence. Ooh, that's 2 now. You clean it of marzipan and hold it up to the light. You turn to Mr Dave to show him the sixpence, and notice he now has 10 of them. The dastard. RIGHT!

Forgetting the pain and even basic manners, you tear into the cake with your grubby fists. Plunging great gobs of it into your gaping maw, desperate for sixpences. The chef is huffing and puffing with exertion from kicking the shit out of your shin. The bone breaks and you fall backwards to the floor. As you squeal like a pig with your shattered bone sticking through the skin, the chef lowers his trousers and straddles your face. He lowers his greying scrotum onto your cake smeared mush. You scream and scream thinking about sixpences, as his salty sac bounces off your cheeks. The pain is intense. The smell is intense. You start to black out. In a final act of indignity the chef squeezes out a malteaser of cack which plops onto your lower lip.

A small bald Tibetan monk boy walks past throwing sixpences in the air in huge handfulls.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 16:01 

So, what you're saying is that Curio is a paraplegic?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 16:09 
Unpossible!

Dimril, you're a artist with the written word and a mentalist in best possible way

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 16:14 
UltraMod

That beats MaliA's post of the weak into a cocked hat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 16:17 
Sleepyhead

Mr Dave wrote:
(Also: We have yet to try out the multiplayer.)

The multiplayer is good fun, but it has the worst lobby/matchmaking I have ever witnessed in any game - to the point that it's pretty much gamebreaking unless playing with a large proportion of Bezzies.

SAMPLE FLAWS:

*Each game has a designated host, even in ranked matches. The game cannot start until that person says so, even if you have 15 other people ready to play.

*Said host can boot you from the game at will, for no reason. After sniping a host twice as he ran over a flat plain towards me, he booted me from the game.

*When almost ready to play (FINALLY!) idiots can ask for a vote on whether to skip map or not (or shuffle teams). This prevents the game starting until a vote is made.

It's horrifically bad.

But it is great fun when mucking around with Bezzies. Especially on custom levels with liberal use of hang-gliders. Sniping men on hang-gliders is about as fun as video games get.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 16:22 
Sleepyhead

Mr Dave wrote:

This would explain why Dimrill is so much further ahead of me in less time.

I just tend to drive off the road. It's fun.

I completed it in not much more than 20 hours.

I do think the game is a little long, but that depends on how many side missions you do. I did about half of the buddy missions, all of the underground ones and about three of the telephone missions (and didn't bother trying to get all the diamonds or tapes).

Towards the middle of Act Two it got a little repetitive, but the end of Act Two and all of Act Three (it's short) were acebest. Though the ending will split people, as will a bit just before the ending which comprises one of the larger plotholes I've seen in gaming (though it's ultimately a side-thing, so doesn't detract from the game for me).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 17:16 
UltraMod

It's still not on my doormat. I can't ask for a replacement until 23rd December. >:(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 17:34 

myoptinsel wrote:
It's still not on my doormat. I can't ask for a replacement until 23rd December. >:(
That'll work out fine, it gives you chance to ask for some cricket pads for Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 17:37 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Dave wrote:

8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 17:48 
UltraMod

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
myoptinsel wrote:
That'll work out fine, it gives you chance to ask for some cricket pads for Christmas.

Didn't Portal teach us that the cake is a lie, anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 18:04 
Hibernating Druid

OMFG TEH SPOILZ! TEH SPOILZ!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 18:16 
Paws for thought

Zardasher wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

8)

Should read:

I just travel on foot* beside the road, or by car if off road.

* - Crouching if I hear a car/man.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 18:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Dave wrote:
* - Crouching if I hear a car/man.

There's a car/man waiting in the road
he's got a great big rifle
and he's painted up with woad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:04 
Skillmeister

Just noticed another little annoyance. The game uses the Campbellian physics model. Take a boat out on the river and gun it up to top speed. Press Y to stop driving and the boat will carry on with momentum. Walk to the gun end and try to jump off the side and you fly backwards. You can't get off until the boat stops.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 20:21 
UltraMod

Doormat update: a Christmas card from my best friend at school, but no Far Cry 2.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 20:26 
Skillmeister

I have collected all 221 diamond cases. Blergh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 20:51 
Honey Boo Boo

myoptinsel wrote:
Doormat update: a Christmas card from my best friend at school, but no Far Cry 2.

Best checked it hasn't been hurled into those bushes at the front of your house, or wedged into one of the many dog turds on the nearby pavement.

Also... I really wanted to ask for this as one of my birthday games, but if I have to endure the chef thing I might get something else instead.

Are the whole 'AI mindlessly and pointlessly chases you' 'oh, time for ANOTHER malaria pill' things as bad as people say?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 21:08 
Skillmeister

Get it and see, that's the only way to find out. With your grumpy setting at high, I doubt it'd be long before flying Xbox games were witnessed over the skies of Caerphilly though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 23:34 
Paws for thought

Ack, the south section is SO MUCH CRAPPER than the north it's almost painful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 0:32 
Skillmeister

Very much so. Like narrow rivers with steep sides hiding diamonds? Well you're in luck, mah boy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 0:37 
Skillmeister

Another little thing that's bothered me: when you subvert a mission (the person who decided to use that word needs to be battered to death with cocks), why does your bestest Gentleman Friend turn his head slightly to the side and look at you out of the corner of his eyes? It's a terribly unnatural animation choice. I've just tried it now and it actually hurts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:19 
Sleepyhead

I am awaiting with glee the furious gnashing of teeth when you guys actually finish the game.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:01 
Paws for thought

Alabaster Meadows wrote:
Very much so. Like narrow rivers with steep sides hiding diamonds? Well you're in luck, mah boy!

Quite.

Game: What's that? You want to sneak into this village, well you have three choices.
Me: Ooh, I'll take this one, it looks like I'll be on high ground and be able to scout the village before completing my mission objective.
Game: Haha, no, I've put a wall there, just to spite you. (But at least it's not one of those spindly wire ones that even Brian Blessed could fit through, but you can't.)
Me:Grr. It took me 5 minutes to sneak round there. In that case I'll take this way in, not quite as good, but better than going in the front entrance.
Game: You know how my map is really crap, right. Well, there's a cliff there that you can't go up. Despite the fact it looks like perfectly passable terrain on the map.
Me: You utter bastard. I'll have to go in the front entrance then.
Game: Ohhohoho. There's a man with a rocket launcher waiting there to spam you in the face. you're now dead.

Tiresome doesn't even begin to describe it. When you have a game that has a unique selling point of huge areas that allow you to approach missions in several different ways, why do they have much of the second half going down rock corridors with no freedom of movement at all?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 13:10 
Skillmeister

I agree very much. Most of the "important" places with their own mini-map, can only be approached by a maximum of 2 ways. That's pants.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 14:05 
UltraMod

No Far Cry 2, but a red card landed on my doormat today. Play don't send stuff out recorded, however, so I bet it's SBK-08.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 14:06 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Possibly this has been answered previously but if it's suck a dogs dinner of a game why do you two persist in playing it all the time?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 14:08 
Skillmeister

Sixpences. Plus it's mediocre, not terrible. The annoyances are enough to make me turn it off in disgust more than once.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 14:11 
UltraMod

Games which are so close to being great are far more annoying than ones that just plain suck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 15:23 
Paws for thought

Morte wrote:
Possibly this has been answered previously but if it's suck a dogs dinner of a game why do you two persist in playing it all the time?

Because when it works, it works very well indeed.

I am really enjoying it, but I can't help but feel the QA dept. went to sleep a little.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 15:46 
Honey Boo Boo

This is what comes of being a game studio more renowned for need-a-new-PC graphics than gameplay.

Don't forget the original Far Cry, which encouraged you to use stealth to sneak past mercenaries but whacking your knife as noisily as possible on a rock didn't attract their attention.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 16:07 
Paws for thought

???

Far Cry developed by Crytek Studios and published by Ubisoft
Far Cry 2: developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft.

Ubisoft Montreal being most famous for the Prince of Persia games, so hardly need-a-new PC graphics.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 16:17 
Honey Boo Boo

Cheerfully withdrawn!

And replaced with 'the same studio responsible for the equally 'great if it wasn't so fucking irritating' Assassin's Crud'.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 16:22 
UltraMod

So Far Cry 2 wasn't done by Crytek? I feel gipped.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 16:47 
Skillmeister

You are a game developer making a shooty game based in a fictional African country. Your man is able to drive several different vehicles over rugged terrain and is often pursued by bad men doing likewise. On accidentally flipping their vehicle, your man exits to confront his pursuers. On exiting, the man's aim should be:
a) At eye level in the direction they were travelling when pressing the exit button, allowing for easy maneuvering to face the threat.
b) At eye level in the direction of the exit door they used, allowing for easy maneuvering to face the threat.
c) At eye level in a random direction, allowing for easy maneuvering to face the threat.
d) Straight up in the fucking air.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 17:10 
Esoteric

good game, lovely graphics and physics.

Everything else?

same same same same same same same, repeat to fade (apart from hunting for diamonds which was kinda fun).

Completed 50% then got very tired of it, knowing that my next mission would involve following someone in circles in a land rover and killing them.

Soon to be uninstalled.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 17:12 
Paws for thought

myoptinsel wrote:
So Far Cry 2 wasn't done by Crytek? I feel gipped.

Nah, they don't have rights to the series. They went to do Crysis instead.

Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next