Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 21:28 
Honey Boo Boo

myoptika wrote:
Nope, thank goodness.

WRONG!

The XFPS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 17:12 
That Rev Chap

Played Far Cry 2 for five hours today.

I like it a lot. I think it's very good indeed. The annoyances aren't as annoying as reviews made them sound and the flamethrower is awesome. I die a lot, but I don't mind. It's got that Halo thing of it just being fun to do the same thing over and over again. There's a diamond case near one of my safe houses that I can't work out how to get to, though - and it's annoying the pants off me.

It's not as good as Fallout 3, which I played for $hlmun hours yesterday, mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 18:37 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MetalAngel wrote:
myoptika wrote:
Nope, thank goodness.

WRONG!

The XFPS

I bet that's a bastard to configure!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 18:39 
Sleepyhead

I think I've only died about three times playing it at all! My current triple threat of AK-47, Grenade Launcher and Dart Rifle is working super well.

I'm just at the end of Act One at the moment.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I'd like to add that barricading ourselves into a very porous room was a stupid idea, and I hate that French woman for doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 20:08 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:
Surely as a modern PC owner you don't play any FPSes unless they're blindingly fast reaction tests, and grind-until-you-die-of-Doritos-overdose MMORPGs?

You missed the other possibility:

That would've been funnier without the idiot-proof description at the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 20:28 
Sleepyhead

Woohoo! I'm on to Act Two, and have some new buddies.

They're fools if they make friends with me, though, as all my buddies in this game tend to die horribly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:40 
Sleepyhead

The story mode for this game is really good, IMO. Also, it releases achievements on a regular bais for progression, which is pretty nifty.

The online multiplayer has some slight collision detection issues re: bullets, but is improved no end by the inclusion of hang gliders.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 15:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

jonarob wrote:
That would've been funnier without the idiot-proof description at the bottom.

Attachment:
hahaha.jpg

:kiss:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 23:59 
Skillmeister

Irritation the first: "Buddy"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 0:08 
Paws for thought

Further irritations:

Malaria. Seriously, who thought that would be a fun game mechanic.
Weapons jamming. See: Malaria.
Excessive road checkpoints. See: Malaria.
Which respawn enemies stupidly quickly. If I return a minute later, I expect it to still be empty.
That everyone has an obsession with killing you. Pass a car on the road, and it will turn around and come after you all guns blazing. And yet you can travel around by bus unmolested.

Oh yes: Not a game designed for people who hate needles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I agree with Mr Dave..

I've just got on to act 2 and I'm loving the game loads! I still don't think I've equiped myself with the best weapons as I struggle to keep up with the names of them and what they do but my trusted Uzi is doing me proud! I need to be able to carry more hand grenades though as I find they do wonders for scaring people out of jeeps as they're trying to run me down.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:55 
Sleepyhead

Mr Dave wrote:
Further irritations:

Malaria. Seriously, who thought that would be a fun game mechanic.

Strongly agree. It never becomes anything other than a reason to do occasional sub-missions, and isn't used in any way that is integral to the game. Could have been good had they perhaps explored it more. As it is, largely shit.

Quote:
Weapons jamming. See: Malaria.

Disagree very strongly. This is an integral part of the game. You can steal weapons, but they'll fuck up quite quickly. Instead you need to do some arms dealer sub-missions (don't worry, you get an achievement for it) to unlock ones that don't jame for a while... but even they go bad after a while. It keeps you on your toes.

Quote:
Excessive road checkpoints. See: Malaria.

Disagree slightly. They can be annoying, but they make you take new routes, can be useful if you're short of a certain thing (ammo, explosives, etc) and more importantly can largely be driven through, especially in Act One. The worst than will generally happen is they come after you in one car, which you can turn around and blow up.

Quote:
Which respawn enemies stupidly quickly. If I return a minute later, I expect it to still be empty.

Neither agree nor disagree. You get a fair few minutes of grace, but perhaps not enough.

Quote:
That everyone has an obsession with killing you. Pass a car on the road, and it will turn around and come after you all guns blazing. And yet you can travel around by bus unmolested.

Slightly agree. There aren't very many cars, but everyone WILL try to kill you. Every mission will be prefaced with 'our men do not know you are on our side' as a warning, but it's still a bit 'bah'. I never found it annoying though, other than in Act Two when you need to (or I chose to) do little runs between the bus station near the marina and the marina. Every time, one man in a grey/silver/white car... sweet Jesus I killed him about 100 times...

Quote:
Oh yes: Not a game designed for people who hate needles.

Strongly agree.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:59 
Sleepyhead

TheVision wrote:
I agree with Mr Dave..

I've just got on to act 2 and I'm loving the game loads! I still don't think I've equiped myself with the best weapons as I struggle to keep up with the names of them and what they do but my trusted Uzi is doing me proud! I need to be able to carry more hand grenades though as I find they do wonders for scaring people out of jeeps as they're trying to run me down.

My personal weapon set of choice:

Primary - AR-16
Secondary - Grenade launcher
Special - Dart Rifle

Once you unlock/pay for the bandolier for the latter two weapons, you'll have five in the launcher and ten in the sniper... enough to take out most places. I was tempted towards the end to switch to all silenced weapons as not being ambushed was kinda important back then, but the AR-16 is frikkin' awesome once you get it, so it became less of a worry.

Before I had that, the FAL Paratrooper is good, and before that the AK-47.

Or use the best sniper rifle you have, add on the Uzi (or Mac10 if you don't have the Uzi) and then pick something explosive for the special.

Mmmm... fire.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:39 
Rude Belittler

When FC2 is good, it's very, very good. It does feel that there should be a layer of extra complexity sitting on top of what we have.

See: The decision whether to subvert the main missions is a no-brainer.There are absolutely no drawbacks to doing what your buddy says, and no advantages to not doing so. You are paid up front for everything, and your buddy upgrades your safehouses.

It feels like there should be a reputation system there, where if you get in with one faction, checkpoints aligned to that faction wave you through and you don't get attacked by randoms on that side. If you subvert the missions, you don't get rep.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:55 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Pundabaya wrote:
When FC2 is good, it's very, very good. It does feel that there should be a layer of extra complexity sitting on top of what we have.

See: The decision whether to subvert the main missions is a no-brainer.There are absolutely no drawbacks to doing what your buddy says, and no advantages to not doing so. You are paid up front for everything, and your buddy upgrades your safehouses.

It feels like there should be a reputation system there, where if you get in with one faction, checkpoints aligned to that faction wave you through and you don't get attacked by randoms on that side. If you subvert the missions, you don't get rep.

I played the first two missions assuming that there was. sadly, the only people who get upset are your 'buddies'.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:58 
Sleepyhead

Pundabaya wrote:

Strongly agree.

At the end of Act One you have to make a 'big' decision. I have no idea whether or not it makes a difference to what happens later on, but it probably doesn't.

I think it's a fantastic one player game, and has many opportunities for lolz in multiplayer with Bezzies, but it could have been epic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 13:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

At the end of act one..
I went to Mikes bar and watched as my buddies died... Did you? I would have thought that going to the church would have just meant that I would have been killed on the way into town.

But either way, I would have thought that the story would have carried on the same as it currently is in act two.

Last edited by Cras on Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Replaced spoiler with tiny text

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 13:42 
Sleepyhead

TheVision wrote:
At the end of act one..
I went to Mikes bar and watched as my buddies died... Did you? I would have thought that going to the church would have just meant that I would have been killed on the way into town.

But either way, I would have thought that the story would have carried on the same as it currently is in act two.

Nope, I...

...went to the church and saved the church guy and some innocents, leaving my buddies to die. After you help the guy walk through a door, you block off the exit with a wardrobe, so they can get away before the many armed men charge in and kill you to bits.

I thought this might help me in the second act, as helping the church and resistance might be good for my malaria medicine hunts. Yet I doubt they altered. Likewise, by turning my back on my buddies, I expected to find it harder to make friends in the second half... but it wasn't. They should have made these things more important and it would have improved the game.

Ho hum.

Last edited by Cras on Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 13:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Oh well... so it seems that...

No matter what you do at the end of act one, act two will carry on the same regardless.. I had no trouble making friends again and no trouble getting some medicine either.

Last edited by Cras on Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 14:11 
UltraMod

OMG spoilers!

What? Ok then, as you were.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 16:30 
Skillmeister

I've just found a golden AK-47. What does that do?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 16:33 
Paws for thought

Further annoyances:

Invisible walls. In an open world game?!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 16:44 
Sleepyhead

Dimrill Bells wrote:
I've just found a golden AK-47. What does that do?

No idea. I never found one...

:(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:10 
Skillmeister

I've given this 6 hours or so over the last 2 days, and I agree with pretty much everything Dave's said so far. It is STUPID that you get attacked by every frigger who even glances at you, which makes every journey a tedious slog of 'drive 200 yards-stop-shoot-repair' rinse and repeat. Nice having some stuff to collect and tick off a list though. Plus respawning guards within a couple of minutes from their deaths? Bastards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:05 
Paws for thought

I spend most of my time on foot because using the cars is an exercise in frustration.

Mind you, I'm finding it more fun now I have the camo + silenced pistol ( + sniper rifle)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:12 
Sleepyhead

Dimrill Bells wrote:
I've given this 6 hours or so over the last 2 days, and I agree with pretty much everything Dave's said so far. It is STUPID that you get attacked by every frigger who even glances at you, which makes every journey a tedious slog of 'drive 200 yards-stop-shoot-repair' rinse and repeat. Nice having some stuff to collect and tick off a list though. Plus respawning guards within a couple of minutes from their deaths? Bastards.

Go offroad! It gives you a chance to pick up extra diamonds and stuff. You should never really have to fight more than one checkpoint for any mission, and if you feel sneaky or brazen, you can avoid them altogether. Plus make good use of the bus stations. They save you an immense amount of hassle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:13 
UltraMod

This should be dropping onto my doormat today.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 15:23 
Skillmeister

But all I'm doing is collecting diamonds! The population of this place is denser than Walsall, and they've all got guns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 15:26 
UltraMod

This will probably be on my doormat as I type this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 15:58 
Paws for thought

As this page seems to be broken, and I can't get to it by normal means, I'm going to assume noone can.

So let me say: Myoptika is a cheese raping twat.

Also: Where are the women in this game? Given the rate they must be popping out sprogs to repopulate the people I've killed, they must be present, but I'm guessing they have a cloning machine that they're fighting over. If this does end up being the plot, I will scream.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:02 

I agree with Mr Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:04 
Unpossible!

Mr Dave wrote:
So let me say: Myoptika is a cheese raping twat.

Just in case....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:08 
UltraMod

You are twats.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:09 
Paws for thought

At least we don't rape cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:12 
Unpossible!

I have no reason to be in this thread. Bye y'all
edit: This amused me....
and..... he's gone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yep, that fixed it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:26 
Skillmeister

Gentlemen, I am having issues with this game. I am currently in the far Northwest of the map after completing a mission of blowing up a train or something, and I'm finding that the thought of loading the game up again to slog through the checkpoint/random car infested map to get back to Pala... sickening.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:28 
UltraMod

This wasn't on my doormat last night.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:30 
Sleepyhead

Rampton Thundergush wrote:
Gentlemen, I am having issues with this game. I am currently in the far Northwest of the map after completing a mission of blowing up a train or something, and I'm finding that the thought of loading the game up again to slog through the checkpoint/random car infested map to get back to Pala... sickening.

Catch the bus?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:01 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I haven't even got that far Dimrill. It is a shame there is no co op* for the game.

*I could do with some milk and crisps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:03 
Skillmeister

Well I spent the first 8 hours playing the game collecting all 112 diamond cases and 8 jackal tapes in the northern sector, which was quite fun :nerd:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:05 
Sleepyhead

It's strange. I found getting from place to place in FC2 infinitely more varied fun than the interminable slog around the city in GTA4.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:09 
UltraMod

Getting around the Liberty City in GTA IV is a joy - your brain is broken.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:19 
Paws for thought

Clausiosity wrote:

Catch the bus?

I also recommend this, it's much closer, and you can drive over the plains and not get shot at (usually)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:22 
Skillmeister

Clausiosity wrote:
It's strange. I found getting from place to place in FC2 infinitely more varied fun than the interminable slog around the city in GTA4.

Interesting point, but only valid if you do the following: Make every pedestrian in GTA have a gun. Not only have a gun, but also psychotic tendencies. Not only psychotic tendencies, but also a vast loathing of you. Not only a vast loathing of you, but the will to act upon it as soon as they catch a glimpse of you, or even suspect you may be in the vicinity. Not only ("all that" - Ed), but they also never attack each other. THEN you may get a little closer to my vast frustration with this game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:29 
Sleepyhead

Clausiosity wrote:

Interesting point, but only valid if you do the following: Make every pedestrian in GTA have a gun. Not only have a gun, but also psychotic tendencies. Not only psychotic tendencies, but also a vast loathing of you. Not only a vast loathing of you, but the will to act upon it as soon as they catch a glimpse of you, or even suspect you may be in the vicinity. Not only ("all that" - Ed), but they also never attack each other. THEN you may get a little closer to my vast frustration with this game.

You're a (massively resented) mercenary in a foreign country who is killing loads of people... you expect them to roll out the red carpet?

I personally loved having to plan a route, sometimes going off-road, sometimes whizzing through checkpoints outrunning the pursuit, sometimes destroying everyone in sight, and occasionally stopping to kill people and marvel at the scenery.

And clearly every driver in GTA has psychotic tendencies. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:33 
Skillmeister

Clausiosity wrote:
You're a (massively resented) mercenary in a foreign country who is killing loads of people... you expect them to roll out the red carpet?

Woah woah woah. so you're saying that each of these guard posts have a fax machine where they're given photos of your face to memorise, so that when they see a leaf move 200 yards away they can recognise that it's you?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:38 
Sleepyhead

Clausiosity wrote:

Woah woah woah. so you're saying that each of these guard posts have a fax machine where they're given photos of your face to memorise, so that when they see a leaf move 200 yards away they can recognise that it's you?

Yes. Exactly that.

Though I've almost never had them fire the first shot, unless I'm tearing towards them in a jeep. And computer games are generally rife with bad guys who can tell that you're the enemy from light years away.

Anyway, you can circumvent or just plough through almost all of them, so I'm not sure why it's causing such a hassle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:42 
Skillmeister

Cos it knackers my jeep, they all jump into their jeeps and give chase, of course their EXACTLY THE SAME MAKE jeeps are infinitely faster than mine so they're somehow able to catch up in seconds despite having to start the engine and all that guff, forcing me to kill them then spend ages watching a shitty hand shittily crank a ratchet spanner on the radiator which magically fixes all jeep woes. Repeat 5-6 times for wherever you're traveling to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:46 
UltraMod

Dead Far (C)Rising 2.

Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next