Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 17:50 
Excellent Member

Pundabaya wrote:
RuySan wrote:
there is a vaccine for malaria. Why didn't the stupid character in far cry 2 took it before he went to africa?

No. No there isn't.

are you saying the ones i took were just placebo?

Thank god i survived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 17:56 
Excellent Member

Pundabaya wrote:
RuySan wrote:
there is a vaccine for malaria. Why didn't the stupid character in far cry 2 took it before he went to africa?

No. No there isn't.

in wikipedia "Although some are under development, no vaccine is currently available for malaria; preventive drugs must be taken continuously to reduce the risk of infection. These prophylactic drug treatments are often too expensive for most people living in endemic areas."

you were right, but the player character in far cry 2 should have taken preventive drugs then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 18:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lots of people are allergic to them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 18:50 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
Lots of people are allergic to them.

People who are allergic to anti-malaria tablets probably shouldn't go to Africa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 18:52 
Hibernating Druid

Racist.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 19:02 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Perhaps he took some with him, ut lost it, and that is the final aim of the game, to find the lost malaria tablets.

Also, mine has been despatched today, so hopefully with me tomorrow! Yay.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 20:46 
Excellent Member

where are you going to?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:20 
Honey Boo Boo

Hoho! I think he means his copy of Far Cry 2, not his anti-malaria tablets.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 
Excellently Membered

Anti-malaria tablets give me the shits bad! I wouldn't take them unless I really needed to or indeed I had a gun so I could kill people and in the the process probably die my self! weeeeeeeeee!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:33 
Excellent Member

MetalAngel wrote:

:( Anti-malaria tablets are way more fun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:36 
Sleepyhead

RuySan wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:

:( Anti-malaria tablets are way more fun

Wow, that's a scathing review.

;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:10 
Son of a Reaperman

£40 for a malaria sim. I'm sold.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 17:51 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I'm really enjoying this, though I'm only 3 hours in.

And my PC isn't batting an eyelid — awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 18:16 
Excellent Member

i ordered via the link in bargains from 365games.co.uk and its arrived but it says NTSC J on the box.
is it even worth unwrapping this :( :( :spew:

will it work on my uk 360

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 19:40 

I also ordered from them, but it hasn'tr arrived. Let me know, please? I had heard that it was region free, and I also heard that NTSC/PAL only applies to CRT monitors, although this may be complete bullshit.

Edit: Also, sorry Ruy San, only just read this, yes I meant my Farcry copy. Sadly I am not going anywhere, although it would be nice. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 19:49 
UltraMod

LaceSensor wrote:
i ordered via the link in bargains from 365games.co.uk and its arrived but it says NTSC J on the box.

You're playing it now, so I'm guessing yes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 23:48 

I'm really not enjoying this. It's irritating me to the MAX. You get Malaria, blah blah. It keeps stopping the game to tell you what buttons to press. The first person animations just slow everything down and get on your tits. The map is cool, but annoying when you want to actually use it. Enemies take ages to die, despite the fact that they've gone for realism with the whole weapons jamming malarky. Saving the game is a chore, because you have to select where you want to save it EVERY TIME, and confirm that you wish to overwrite that save slot EVERY TIME.

It is pretty, though, and I imagine it'll get better. It just has many annoying things about it at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 23:52 
Sleepyhead

jonarob wrote:
I'm really not enjoying this. It's irritating me to the MAX. You get Malaria, blah blah. It keeps stopping the game to tell you what buttons to press. The first person animations just slow everything down and get on your tits. The map is cool, but annoying when you want to actually use it. Enemies take ages to die, despite the fact that they've gone for realism with the whole weapons jamming malarky. Saving the game is a chore, because you have to select where you want to save it EVERY TIME, and confirm that you wish to overwrite that save slot EVERY TIME.

It is pretty, though, and I imagine it'll get better. It just has many annoying things about it at the moment.

I found it got more fun once I had to do interesting missions, such as taking down a whole house full of bad guys, and then legging it to meet up with my buddy to assault another guard house.

I'm mostly shit at sneaking around, but getting slowly better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:27 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
I also ordered from them, but it hasn'tr arrived. Let me know, please? I had heard that it was region free, and I also heard that NTSC/PAL only applies to CRT monitors, although this may be complete bullshit.

Edit: Also, sorry Ruy San, only just read this, yes I meant my Farcry copy. Sadly I am not going anywhere, although it would be nice. :(

It does play yes, but my other concern in access to UK servers for multiplayer which I havent tested yet.

that uncertainty and the minor annoyance its impossible to trade in UK shops means I wont be buying again from 365, as its not in their T&Cs, and no mention on the page that its an import copy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:28 
Excellent Member

myoptika wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

You're playing it now, so I'm guessing yes.

Yeah sorry I meant to pop back on here and report, but I had to dash out as I had guestlist for Funeral for a Friend :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:35 
Sleepyhead

I am very much enjoying this game now.

I've got my buddies to back me up and am going through the missions in spectacular cack-handed fashion.

I also just bought a sniper rifle, which is freaking awesome and makes acquiring safe houses very easy (but very satisfying). I still keep on holding in the stick to hold my breath, which doesn't work in this game. Doh!

All in all, the freedom of it is fantastic. And I love throwing molotov cocktails at people and watching them burn. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:50 
UltraMod

What's the multiplayer like?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It has this feature where you invite someone to play, they reboot with the disc in, then when it's loaded up you've gone 'away' for several hours >:|

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:42 

I am trying really hard to resist this. Fallout 3 is out next week, for god's sake. But you lot are not making it easier. Assuming I make it through the week, Far Cry 2 will definitely be on my "buy first time I see it cheap" list.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:53 
Sleepyhead

myoptika wrote:
What's the multiplayer like?

You play against multiple players online.

Arf.

Dunno, been playing one player first, but people can make their own maps, and someone has already done a version of 'Shipment' from CoD4.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 13:32 

LaceSensor wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

It does play yes, but my other concern in access to UK servers for multiplayer which I havent tested yet.

that uncertainty and the minor annoyance its impossible to trade in UK shops means I wont be buying again from 365, as its not in their T&Cs, and no mention on the page that its an import copy.

mine too is NTSC J. I hadn't appreciated the lack of ability to trade, and the server issue. That is not good at all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 13:53 

Bobbyaro wrote:
mine too is NTSC J. I hadn't appreciated the lack of ability to trade, and the server issue. That is not good at all.
You can still sell it on ebay though. And the server thing isn't a problem in all games, I believe. Just some of them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 17:46 
UltraMod

It's mainly EA games that have (EU) in parenthesis after the name on the dashboard - NASCAR is a really annoying example of this. I want to play against rednecks from Alabama, not those weirdo continental types (no offence, romanista).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:40 

Hmmm....

I really liked Far Cry on the PC (and totally agree that it deserved all the plaudits that Half Life 2 got instead) and was looking for more of the same but I'm not really sure what to make of Far Cry 2.

Far Cry was linear in terms of progression through missions but you could approach targets from any direction. That worked well for me so I'm a bit disappointed that Far Cry 2 is a pure sandbox game with lots of 'you have collected/destroyed X out of Y er... things' and the landscape doesn't make for a very interesting game environment.

Graphics are nice, physics are great and I'm sure the game will warm up but I played it for a few hours and got a bit bored of it all and am not convinced it does sandbox warfare any better than Mercs 1 did.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:46 
INFINITE POWAH

LALALALALA. Not listening.

Man, I have to stop looking at the screens and videos of this. It looks very good indeed. But I can't cheat on Fallout 3. No sir.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:55 

Lord Chris wrote:
LALALALALA. Not listening.

Man, I have to stop looking at the screens and videos of this. It looks very good indeed. But I can't cheat on Fallout 3. No sir.
:this: :this: :this:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 

I've managed to put quite a lot of hours into this game over the weekend and I'm bloody loving it. Really enjoying just trying out different approaches to the constant small gunfights you get in just traveling around. You can't really just snipe your way through them as that review suggests, as soon as you get a shot off they all either take cover, scatter to flank you or dive into pickup trucks and come at you. It really lets you have the freedom to craft cunning plans though. Yesterday I was messing around sneaking up near the camp and placing an IED on the road before retreating and alerting them to my presence by murdering one with the sniper rifle. Watching the hapless goons leap into their 4x4 and then detonating the bomb as they drove over it was hugely gratifying.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:15 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
I've managed to put quite a lot of hours into this game over the weekend and I'm bloody loving it. Really enjoying just trying out different approaches to the constant small gunfights you get in just traveling around. You can't really just snipe your way through them as that review suggests, as soon as you get a shot off they all either take cover, scatter to flank you or dive into pickup trucks and come at you. It really lets you have the freedom to craft cunning plans though. Yesterday I was messing around sneaking up near the camp and placing an IED on the road before retreating and alerting them to my presence by murdering one with the sniper rifle. Watching the hapless goons leap into their 4x4 and then detonating the bomb as they drove over it was hugely gratifying.

I really need to get me some IEDs...

I did, however, find the rocket launcher in a safe house, and a similar tactic ensued, instead waiting until they were almost upon me ebfore slamming a rocket into their faces.

Ka-frikkin'-boom!

I did accidentally kill my best buddy with the same weapon though. Oops.

I love the freeness of it all. It seems a lot more open than GTA, and I don't just mean in terms of the landscape (which is ace).

I do, however, need to find me a new rescue buddy, though given the rocket launcher accident I can't see them queueing up to help me!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:30 

Yeah it is stunningly beautiful at times, more so probably than any other game I can think of. Also the fire, driving away from one of your one-man massacres and glancing back to see bodies and upturned vehicles littering the road all surrounded by a massive and gorgeously rendered bush fire...mmm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:32 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
Yeah it is stunningly beautiful at times, more so probably than any other game I can think of. Also the fire, driving away from one of your one-man massacres and glancing back to see bodies and upturned vehicles littering the road all surrounded by a massive and gorgeously rendered bush fire...mmm

Also!

Finding a hang glider and promptly flying it into a cliff.

:D

And the animations for when you're healing yourself!

:DD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:35 

Still not come across any hang gliders. How do they work? Can you actually soar or just glide down to the ground?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:44 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
Still not come across any hang gliders. How do they work? Can you actually soar or just glide down to the ground?

There's one at one of the safe houses. It's the one near to a big expanse of water (like that helps!).

I'm not really sure of the controls, as I only played with it for a little. I'm fairly sure it's a gimmick rather than anything useful, but it was fun for the few moments I used it pre-cliff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 13:11 

I have not experienced any such clever AI. I snipe one guy and they all cower in fear infront of me and stand still while I snipe them off. On a number of occasions, I have been standing still and they run straight past me. The AI is better than on a lot of games, but it isn't as good as it is being made out to be inthat review. OTOH, teh game is really good, the open feel of it as you drive a buggy across desert savanah is astounding. The map editor is cool aswell!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 15:09 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I had a great moment where there was a guy shooting at me from somewhere, but I couldn't for the life of me see him through the tall grass. No matter where I moved to, how quickly I sprinted, I just couldn't seem to spot him; trying to follow the line of fire was no help, as he seemed to keep moving to flank me.

I ended up having to make my way to a natural bottleneck just to see him, then snipered his head off as soon as he entered.

Ace.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 15:16 
Excellent Member

I must concur with the above positives, I am really enjoying this game.
The only negative really is the sheer vastness of the map, and the bus stops being miles from most places meaning you have to drive through about 5 random fights to actually get anywhere.

But...other than that its ace.
I miss the seas from far cry 1, was hilarious just doing drive bys in a dingy :O)
but the beaautiful savanna more than makes up for it.

for those just jogging around having fun so far like me, go to the airfield and there is a massive gas canister thing there to destroy, which then burns a massive patch of landscape and trees....absolutely stunning to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:41 
Sleepyhead

Lace - the rivers and lakes are good fun. Get some speed up on a boat, then stop driving it and it'll coast far enough for you to slaughter some poor fools on the river banks.

That said, the only times I ever die are when I'm driving the boat and get ambushed.

Also, when driving between mission sites, I can usually find a route with only, say, one checkpoint. You just have to go off road and drive your jeep/buggy/sedan through the jungle.

So far the AI has been good in my experience. Occasionally they don't see you, but equally often I dont' see them, so I find it realistic, as opposed to them always knowing exactly where you are the whole time. When I snipe someone from a distance, the people tend to duck down. Some scatter, some remain still. I think this is probably a good thing, as they don't know where I am, so are nervous. They might think they're safe, and running behind cover might not be wise as I might be the other side of them. They never just stand there though.

The only real downside I've found so far is that you can't go prone. Booooo to that!

Oh, and I found four Jackal tapes, and they appear to have vanished from my inventory somewhere along the way.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:42 
UltraMod

No prone? *scrubs off Christmas list*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:43 
Sleepyhead

myoptika wrote:

No, but you can pull bullets out of your arm, using your teeth!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:43 
INFINITE POWAH

myoptika wrote:

Excellent - thanks. That's solved my problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:45 

What's the big deal about going prone?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:45 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
What's the big deal about going prone?

Don't make me explain it. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:46 
INFINITE POWAH

It's game breakingly stupid as an omission, given how easy it is to include as a feature. Why can I jump but not lie down and hide in the long grass? Oh, cos you're twats? Excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:48 
Sleepyhead

Lord Chris wrote:
It's game breakingly stupid as an omission, given how easy it is to include as a feature. Why can I jump but not lie down and hide in the long grass? Oh, cos you're twats? Excellent.

It is slightly annoying, not game breakingly stupid.

I can only think of a couple of games in which you CAN go prone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:49 

It isn't in any way "game breaking". If you like shooters and you miss this one because it won't let you shift the viewpoint down by two feet then you are being a legacy-controls-whinge-style massive spacker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:50 
INFINITE POWAH

Curiosity wrote:
Lord Chris wrote:

It is slightly annoying, not game breakingly stupid.

Yes it is.

Quote:
I can only think of a couple of games in which you CAN go prone.

I'm sure I've got a fair few, and one of them is Far Cry 1.

markg wrote:
If you like shooters and you miss this one because it won't let you shift the viewpoint down by two feet then you are being a legacy-controls-whinge-style massive spacker.

Yeeee-ersss? And? :)

Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next