Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Far Cry 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:37 

So far I've only managed to find one review:

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/far-c ... 5824716083

But if it is to be believed then I'm hopeful that they've made it exactly the game I was hoping for. So bored of every FPS being set in corridors with pictures of scenery on the walls.

Post subject: Re: Far Cry 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:47 
Hibernating Druid

Wasn't too bothered about this until reading that review.

Sounds corking.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 

Annoyingly, Ubi haven't sent me a review copy, the ignorant swines. I'll be buying it on Friday and getting a review up ASAP, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Could some kind sole cut and paste the review in here, I can't access that at work.

I want this game, I asked in the triple F threwad, (but got no answer :'( ) where is the cheapest pre-order found so far?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:03 
Comfortably Dumb

jonarob wrote:
Annoyingly, Ubi haven't sent me a review copy, the ignorant swines. I'll be buying it on Friday and getting a review up ASAP, though.

How easy has it been to get review copies of games?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:03 

That sounds frickin' ace. Does anyone else find themselves reminded of Deus Ex? Not the setting, but with the way you can solve missions in multiple ways? Although Deus Ex always promised a little more than it delivered in that department, I found.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:04 

jonarob wrote:

Judging by the general lack of reviews I wouldn't take that personally.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:05 
Hibernating Druid

Bobbyaro wrote:
Could some kind sole cut and paste the review in here, I can't access that at work.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
When you first start playing Far Cry 2, you’ll be forgiven for thinking that it absolutely bloody hates you. Gunfire flies from nowhere, peppering you to pieces before you’ve even seen your attacker. Your fragile health bar drops to almost nothing within seconds. There are seemingly-random, one-hit deaths aplenty, and even when you do get a warning, the slow and cumbersome health recovery system means that you often won’t get the time to heal yourself before the final bullet sends you staggering to the ground in a pathetic heap.

But it would be a huge mistake to turn away. A huge and terrible mistake. It’s not Far Cry 2’s fault that its opening hour is defined by repeated stabbing of the continue option. It’s just that it’s trying to craft a richer, more satisfying – and challenging – experience for you than a lot of games do. While regenerating health, clueless enemies and a total disregard for the repercussions of death may have made a lot of recent shooters more accessible, they’ve also simplified them, stripping out some of the depth and replacing skill with perseverance. While Far Cry 2 is certainly no Ikaruga or Mega Man style endurance test, its less lenient approach is a deliberate move with the aim of teaching you how to get the best out of it. And there’s a lot to get.
It’s an intelligently designed game with the concept of thoughtful killing at its centre. The real joys of Far Cry 2 don’t come from gung-ho Rambo raids of enemy bases – although they’re certainly possible – or the sheer number of bad guys you’ve plastered by the end of a mission. They come from an immense sense of freedom and the smug satisfaction of a well-executed battle plan.

Dropped into war-torn Africa with just a pistol, a machete and a couple of contacts, the only instruction you’re given is to find the head bad guy (an amoral arms dealer called The Jackal) and kill him. You’ll talk to the local militia to get missions, using the respect earned to gather information. You’ll make friends with locals and traders, who will give you side-quests and even alternative ways to complete existing briefs. But which tasks you accept and how you carry them out will be entirely down to your own choices. Do you, for instance, tackle an assassination in a tense cease-fire zone by going in guns blazing, before making a quick escape in a waiting car and hiding out until the heat calms down? Or do you slowly stalk your prey into a lonely back alley and make a silent knife kill, walking away without a care in the world?

When asked to steal documents from an enemy base, do you snipe the perimeter guards from the bushes, soften up the rest with grenades and then make a quick smash-and-grab attack, or do you make a methodical stealth run, leaving undetected with a zero body count? No mission in Far Cry 2 ever dictates how you have to play it. You just get a location and an objective and are allowed to do whatever you want when you get there. And with new weapons and equipment unlockable at your own pace via side-missions, there are no limitations apart from your creativity.

Once you realize that those early punishments are just the game’s way of making you think a little harder about how you approach things, the brilliance of its design starts to emerge. Those random deaths weren’t random; you just hadn’t learned the subtle warning signs. The slow, manual healing system isn’t unfair; it just makes you think about falling back and using cover. Barring the occasional AI glitch, enemies react fast to any possible threat, fanning out to find and flank you before you can get close. They’ll use the jungle as camouflage, they’ll fall back defensively if they can’t find you and if they spot you out in the open, some will even jump into vehicles and try to run you over before you can get a shot off. They’re sharp, aggressive, and when they’re nearby you have to be thinking and adapting constantly. It’s an incredibly exhilarating change from the tired old “Circle-strafe for the win” routine.
And it’s not just during missions that you have to keep on your toes. The whole, vast, open-world map is littered with militia outposts, meaning that the journeys to and from your objectives are just as eventful as anything that happens when you get there. Whether you travel by car, boat, on foot, by hang-glider or a combination of all, anything can and will happen as you and your environment play an eternal, bullet-strewn game of cat and mouse. Everything feels organic and lived in, especially in the open countryside areas. There’s no hint of repeated design despite the vastness of the wilderness – a stunning achievement.
The sense of being part of a constantly evolving, unpredictable adventure is hugely liberating. As gorgeously real as Far Cry 2 looks in screenshots and video, nothing can prepare you for how deeply immersive and alive it feels to play. It really is your own story, unfolding spontaneously on a second-by-second basis. Ten playable characters are available too. Your choice won’t affect gameplay, but it will affect the plot. You’ll meet the ones you don’t choose as NPCs, and each will bring their own optional missions and side-stories.

Of course, there are niggles. From time to time it’s a little too easy to get by just by sniping, and some of the game’s collectables require a bit of platforming action, which while incorporated in a subtle way, scream “This is a videogame!” a little too loudly. And when the AI does falter, it’s even more obvious for the same reason. But it’s Far Cry 2’s dense, textural universe that will stay with you long after you power down your system. With gameplay this organic and a world so rich and explorable, Far Cry 2 is a game you’ll live in. You’ll regularly play it until embarrassing o’clock in the morning, and then you’ll get up and shamelessly start all over again. And you’ll love every second.

You owe me bananas.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:06 
Excellent Painter

Oooh, excellent. Lots of brilliant games coming out and no money thanks to Northern Rock! Wait! I've just remembered I have £120 of HMV vouchers!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:08 
Hibernating Druid

How does one get started on the 'review copy' scam Jonarob.

I want in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:32 

Banananas ahoy!

That sounds awesome, I am so getting that!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:34 
Sleepyhead

Does FarCry2 have good multiplayer joy?

If it does then I will get. If not then I probably won't bother.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:36 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I really enjoyed the original on the Xbox (It might have been the original.. I'm not to sure) but I would definitely like this one!

It sounds ace!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:47 

Curiosity wrote:
Does FarCry2 have good multiplayer joy?

If it does then I will get. If not then I probably won't bother.

It does, it also has a really impressive looking map editor if you're into that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:40 

devilman wrote:
jonarob wrote:

How easy has it been to get review copies of games?

It depends who you're asking. I've got a pile of shit games after a week of asking, but the big titles are considerably more difficult to get for a new site like mine. However, the MS people are lovely and sent me Fable II. I'll also be getting Fallout 3 on Tuesday apparently.

I'm surprised by how easy it is to get games from some, but completely unsurprised by others. It just depends, I guess. It helps that I've been reviewing games for various sites for over five years now and I know a few PR folk already. Give it a year and I should be getting ALL THE GAMES.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:47 
Honey Boo Boo

Being able to go miles out of my way to take a totally different angle on an enemy installation is brilliant and EXACTLY WHAT SHITE LIKE BROTHERS IN ARMS SHOULD LET YOU DO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:53 
UltraMod

You could almost say that this game is a far cry from your normal shooter!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:56 
Excellent Member

the original Far Cry is still my favorite FPS and it still looks good now. I'm always baffled as why the borefest that was half-life 2 got much more critical acclaim, just because it had a bla bla bla storyline and g-man saying random things, while farcry plot was bad. Like if it was more important than real fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:59 
Honey Boo Boo

Far Cry was very entertaining up until they introduced the MUTANT STEALTH BABOONS.

And then it took a sharp nose dive into the pile of triceratops shit from Jurassic Park.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:11 
Hibernating Druid

myoptika wrote:
You could almost say that this game is a far cry from your normal shooter!

Far Crying out load man, that's 2 much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:12 
UltraMod

MetalAngel wrote:
Far Cry was very entertaining up until they introduced the MUTANT STEALTH BABOONS.

OMG TEH SPIOLERZ!111

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:14 
Excellent Member

MetalAngel wrote:

And then it took a sharp nose dive into the pile of triceratops shit from Jurassic Park.

i also liked to mutant stealth baboons. It was a nice change of pace. And the game didn't suddently turned into a doom 3 rip-off like most reviews said. It still had plenty of open areas with the some corridors in between.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:27 
Honey Boo Boo

It was such a cop-out... a huge, glorious chain of islands littered with the remnants of a WW2 battle. Sinister mercenaries, better armed and dug in, vs you, a guy on his own with nothing but the Hawaiian shirt on his back and his curvy knife.

Could they have just had an evil genius building a nuclear bomb in one of the old bunkers, or something? No, they had to introduce a dumb, mindless, overpowered set of enemies.

Just like they did in Crysis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:35 
Skillmeister

Edge arrived today. They gave it 8/10. There are many words on the page. I don't need a poo right now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:38 
INFINITE POWAH

OK - this sounds pretty goshdarned good. I may get this when I complete Fallout 3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:39 
Sleepyhead

I will probably buy this, it appears, despite being on strict orders not to buy anything again ever (until November next year).

When is it out?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:48 
UltraMod

Friday, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 15:33 

Dimrill wrote:
Edge arrived today. They gave it 8/10. There are many words on the page. I don't need a poo right now.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 15:36 

jonarob wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
:D
Sounds like Dimrill needs a shorter review, one that's a little more, I dunno, snappy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:02 
Time Out for Fun

Dimrill wrote:

any other big game reviews in there?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:04 
Skillmeister

Little Big Planet: 10/10
Saint's Row 2: 5/10
Lego Batman: 4/10
Dead Space: 8/10
erm... another biggish one for 9/10, but I can't remember and cba to go and get the mag from upstairs. *readjusts scrotum*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:06 
Time Out for Fun

Dimrill wrote:
Little Big Planet: 10/10
Lego Batman: 4/10
Dead Space: 8/10
erm... another biggish one for 9/10, but I can't remember and cba to go and get the mag from upstairs. *readjusts scrotum*

fable?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dimrill wrote:

Blimey. Harsh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:25 
Excellent Member

i never bought edge, but i read a bit once in a newsagent and i found it to be utterly hateful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:26 
Time Out for Fun

Craster wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Blimey. Harsh.

isn't it?, gamestm were equally harsh on mercs 2 with a 5/10.

mind you there really isnt much different from the original saints row, Im not sure if thats tackled in the review or not but those two scores arent really justification of the fun in both games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Saints Row 2 and Mercs 2 strike me as very similar games. Both sandboxes, both mission light and side-activity heavy, both tons and tons of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:30 
EvilTrousers

Far Cry Instincts Predator thingy got despatched by Zavvi today for all of £5.99 so I will play that before launching into Far Cry 2.

FC2 sounds like exactly like the kind of game I will love. Here's a nice clear objective and a whole shitload of tools with which you can play with to achieve that objective without any false walls to channel you along.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:34 
Time Out for Fun

have the two games got anything in common?, the first one sounded like it was something to do with animal human hybrids or something and the new one looks a bit like a FPS mercs across africa.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:44 
Skillmeister

Ah yes, Fable 2, of course. It's a "review special" edition of Edge... with exactly the same number of reviews in it as normal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 18:08 

Wahey! I've returned home to a review copy of Dead Space :) Completely unexpected!

Good old EA, eh? :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 18:14 

jonarob wrote:
Wahey! I've returned home to a review copy of Dead Space :) Completely unexpected!

Good old EA, eh? :p
Git :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 19:12 
Excellent Painter

You think if you lot ever get off your arses and get that review website sorted we could all be partaking of freebies?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 19:31 

Right, that's Farcry 2 ordered, roll on Friday. In the words of the Lord formerly known as Mr Chris, "SQUEEEE".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 19:41 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Saints Row 2 and Mercs 2 strike me as very similar games. Both sandboxes, both mission light and side-activity heavy, both tons and tons of fun.

Is Saints Row bugged to fuck, then?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 20:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lord Chris wrote:
Craster wrote:

Occasionally glitchy, but then that's the same description I'd apply to Mercs 2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 23:54 
Time Out for Fun

Craster wrote:
Lord Chris wrote:
Craster wrote:

Occasionally glitchy, but then that's the same description I'd apply to Mercs 2.

Actually what have volition been doing for two years, its pretty much the same environment, similar missions and side missions, the graphics seem the same, and so does the gameplay. It seems strange that so little to be changed has took this much time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 23:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I object to games being scored on 'not much has changed since the first one' though - because I've never played the first one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 0:00 
Time Out for Fun

Craster wrote:
I object to games being scored on 'not much has changed since the first one' though - because I've never played the first one.

did you read the saints row 2 review on eurogamer?, that bastard never played the first one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 0:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Runcle wrote:
Craster wrote:

did you read the saints row 2 review on eurogamer?, that bastard never played the first one.

But I think that's fine for a review. You can't assume that the person buying it owns the first one, can you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 0:17 
Time Out for Fun

Craster wrote:
Runcle wrote:
Craster wrote:

But I think that's fine for a review. You can't assume that the person buying it owns the first one, can you?

True but for a person getting paid for reviews I'd like a bit experience in what hes doing. Two main points in the interview struck me, one he said it what the natural successor of Vice City which is very strange since its got more stuff in common with san andreas withi new features, storyline and such and its impressive feature of saints row 2 of protecting your own gang areas which was not only in saints row 1 but san andreas aswell.

The other was that he mentioned similar features from the original saints row as an appealing feature with no idea they were already old.

Although its fine to assume no ones played the original surely its also just as expective for people to have played the original.

Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next