And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:11 
baron of techno

That was a good one.

"It's obviously Red-Eye, second stage! Whatever that means"

Tate was surprisingly.. well lit, I thought.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:13 

That face is either scared, or ready to 'perform' :o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:16 

They never knew what to do with Martha. She wasn't given more than a few lines an episode until the finale and it would have taken quite the actress to dig herself out of that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:01 
lazy eye patch

Which is a shame because oh! The things I would do to that girl... oh my, yes...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:43 
Goth

The only time Martha was anywhere near good was in Human Nature/Family of Blood but then those two were particularly special episodes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 13:00 
Gogmagog

I didn't really enjoy the episode that was on over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:01 

CUS wrote:
Which is a shame because oh! The things I would do to that girl... oh my, yes...

Any views on PR girl? I thought she was really cute but I'm buggered if I can work out why.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:02 
Gogmagog

Dudley wrote:
CUS wrote:

Any views on PR girl? I thought she was really cute but I'm buggered if I can work out why.

Would.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:11 
lazy eye patch

Definitely. Beautiful eyes. And mouth. Top marks for 'Face'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:13 
Gogmagog

She did run a bit like Spaccy McRetard though.

Which is an advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 15:26 
What-ho, chaps!

richardgaywood wrote:
That face is either scared, or ready to 'perform' :o

If you look up the URL of that picture, you'll find a ridiculously useful Doc. What screenscap gallery site. I tried to find PANIC FACE in the latest episode but I checked the rest for better examples and was pleased [sub check] to note that not an episode goes by without its appearance.
>:(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:52 
Excellent Member

Dudley wrote:

Because she was drop-dead gorgeous? I groaned when she died, earning a slap from the other half. Interesting to see women's fashions in the 42nd century are exactly the same as they are in 2008, though! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:58 
Goth

Quote:
Interesting to see women's fashions in the 42nd century are exactly the same as they are in 2008, though! :D

Yes well that's er.. due to the er.. Tardis translating the clothes! Yes that's it! It's what you'd expect a PR person to wear so the Tardis changes their appearance in your mind. And er.. yes.. um. Yeah. Look the goodyear blimp!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:59 
Excellent Member

To be fair, a long lost race of humans seperated from mother Earth and fleeing across the galaxy in a rag tag fleet escaping from pursuing vengeful robots also inexplicably have the same fashion - the robots too.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:14 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

It's interesting listening to the commentary track from BBC 7 regarding the last episode. The writer states that the original draft was rejected by RTD for being too dark and too 'Old Who'. Silly RTD, there is nothing wrong with throwing us old 'uns a bone every so often (obviously they're not going to anything as nasty as Terminus in the new Who).

It's also interesting how fucking 'right on' the writer and producer are.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:23 
Chinny chin chin

Morte wrote:
RTD for being too dark and too 'Old Who'.

Too good more like. It's like RTD looks in the mirror every morning and see's JNT looking back at him. Except JNT eventually learnt to leave his script editor alone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:29 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Morte wrote:

Too good more like. It's like RTD looks in the mirror every morning and see's JNT looking back at him. Except JNT eventually learnt to leave his script editor alone.

But both love incidental music that's too fucking loud :attitude:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:37 
Chinny chin chin

Morte wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Morte wrote:

But both love incidental music that's too fucking loud :attitude:

To be fair, in the 80's at least, that was usually a directors decision as they would supervise the sound mix. Mark Ayres has often commented that Ghostlight is mixed far too loud and and as a result the music was being made to do things it was never intended to do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:07 
Goth

Quote:
obviously they're not going to anything as nasty as Terminus in the new Who

Not that this is massively relevant but Terminus is one of my favourite Doctor Who episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:41 
Chinny chin chin

Nirejhenge wrote:
Quote:
obviously they're not going to anything as nasty as Terminus in the new Who

Not that this is massively relevant but Terminus is one of my favourite Doctor Who episodes.

I fear the zoom feature on your DVD player may become worn out when they release it on DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:59 
Goth

Nah.. Nyssa never quite did it for me.. now if it was Tegan..

I think Terminus was one of the few times Nyssa put in anywhere near a decent performance. Shame some of the outfits of the guards are a bit floppy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 17:44 
I forgot about this - how vain

I am ASTONISHED that you think Tate is GOOD.

ASTONISHED!

I am even more ASTONISHED that....... Aye Agwwui.

*cough*

I gerwii

*cough, cough*

(I agree).

I never, ever thought I would say that.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 18:57 

What's odd is that when it was announced that Billie Piper was going to be the Doc's companion, I laughed then too.

EDIT:
Afterthought: but then all those years ago I never thought I'd be a fan of Doctor Who...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 19:16 

I reckon Piper was destined to succeed not just because she's good at the roles she does, but because Rose is every viewer, a really pivotal character, through whom we redicovered the Doctor. She's the defining companion for the new generation of fans. Also, with the loveliness. Then Agyeman - boys and girls nationwide would fuck the living shit out of her, that's true, but what could that actress with that role possibly bring to the show that Piper could not? As it was Martha snhone in Torchwood, relatively speaking. So Tate was the better choice for second companion really - imagine her in all Martha's roles last season, and really starting to come out of her shell morality gob wise in this. I'll grant you her Xmas special was a bit hit and miss but at the end of the episode I was sad when she and the Doctor went their separate ways and unimpressed with the way they pulled Martha into the narrative. She might have succeeded as a second companion to Tate though, we'll see the two play off one another in this series and then we'll know whether that was a missed opportunity or not. Attractive and so often fairy unique looking women are a staple of the Doctor's companions from day one and I'd hate to see that change for tradionional and pervy reasons, but you can literally stick anyone in the Tardis with him, and they pehaps ought to make more of that than they do.

Anyway, Moffat will make everyhting alright. Tone down the 'fashionable' aspects to stop the series ageing and crank things up a notch, stop him saving the Earth every week, that sort of thing. Also a brave recasting of the lead role is inevitable sooner or later, and everything is fucked if they can't get lucky an eleventh time. There's been something erm, fantastic about each Doctor so far, let's not shit that up, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 20:43 
Chinny chin chin

Goatboy wrote:

Anyway, Moffat will make everyhting alright. Tone down the 'fashionable' aspects to stop the series ageing and crank things up a notch, stop him saving the Earth every week, that sort of thing. Also a brave recasting of the lead role is inevitable sooner or later, and everything is fucked if they can't get lucky an eleventh time. There's been something erm, fantastic about each Doctor so far, let's not shit that up, eh?

Yes, he's actually a far more "old school" Who writer. One of the people, like Gary Russell, who would have been writing for the series if it had stayed on the air in the early 1990's.

As for the 11th Doctor, I still say they should go and get Paul McGann. He's a great actor and I'd love to see him given the chance to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 21:18 
Sweet Potato

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Goatboy wrote:
As for the 11th Doctor, I still say they should go and get Paul McGann. He's a great actor and I'd love to see him given the chance to do it.

Um. Wouldn't it be a bit awkward to have the 11th Doctor and the 8th Doctor be exactly the same?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 21:32 

Nah, the 11th doctor wouldn't be exactly the same, he'd look a decade older.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 21:34 
Chinny chin chin

vegetables wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Goatboy wrote:

Um. Wouldn't it be a bit awkward to have the 11th Doctor and the 8th Doctor be exactly the same?

Not really. In Who you can explain your way out of anything. Why did the 6th Doctor appear a full year before the 5th Doctor regenerated? Why did the 1st Doctors face change in the Five Doctors? Why were we told Billy Piper could never return when she blatently will.

And you wouldn't say he was the 11th Doctor, you'd have the Master steal some of the Doctors regenerations or something so he kicks back to 8.

Or you have some alternative universe explanation like the shitty new Cybermen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:39 

Oooh I like the regeneration stealing.

Although presents a problem that when 8th doctor regens, he should become Ecclestone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 
Chinny chin chin

Dudley wrote:
Oooh I like the regeneration stealing.

Although presents a problem that when 8th doctor regens, he should become Ecclestone.

Again, you could explain it away. Given the shit RTD pulls out of the air most weeks, at least my idea makes vague sense.

Or on the other hand the Doctor could wave the sonic screwdriver at a control panel and could regenerate from 8 to 11.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:04 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

And have we forgotten Romana's regeneration where she 'tried on' different forms before settling on the lovely Lalla Ward's form?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 0:45 

Of course, once you've got into a discussion about how they can bring back McGann, you know you'd be better off being nursed and discussing it in tedious detail over at Outpost Gallifrey.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 0:53 
Excellent Member

ARGH! Outpost Gallifrey!

Quote:
Outpost Gallifrey yesterday, probably: We the fans demand Kate O'Mara back as the Rani despite her being old and rubbish and unbearably camp, and the character being no great shakes either. But still, RTD HEAR OUR DEMANDS! If you can't get her than cast [insert unsuitable light entertainment figure, like Lulu, or ludicrous pipe dream, like Uma Thurman].

Glad I fled there after a few posts.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:07 

I love it. I am fairly confident that I will never, ever post there, but I find it's a great read.

There's two types of posters; sane folk who discuss the series in a normal and reasonable way, much as we often do here.

The other type is the scary obsessive; they know EVERYTHING EVER ABOUT IT, and spend all day coming up with theories as to what will happen later in the series. And they will stick to their theories despite evidence available to disprove them.

They're the best type. They cheer up a dull day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:13 
Excellent Member

Phew, must have just caught some bad threads then. Maybe I shall renew study. Despite knowing next to nowt about Doc Who.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:46 

Squueeeeeeeeeeee!

Outpost Gallifrey can go blow a goat, it's worse than the GameFAQs forums.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:53 
Chinny chin chin

Daniel wrote:
Of course, once you've got into a discussion about how they can bring back McGann, you know you'd be better off being nursed and discussing it in tedious detail over at Outpost Gallifrey.

I'd rather stab myself to death with a rusty spoon frankly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 13:22 
Sweet Potato

The thread on Outpost Gallifrey where they all mock a former Doctor Who writer for his (admittedly rather left-field) views on one of the New-Who episodes, then suggest that he's lying about his health condition when it emerges he has serious mental health problems, is probably the most horrible thread I've ever seen on the internet. People complain about RLLMUK, but frankly we're bloody civilised compared to that lot. I'm grateful to them, though, because they're probably what's kept me sliding down the slippery slope to uber-fandom. I had a dream I bought a replica of Colin Baker's coat last night*, for God's sake. There is no hope for me.

*Although in the dream I ended up cursing it and being embarassed to leave my house, so perhaps it was all some kind of awful metaphor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 13:54 
Chinny chin chin

vegetables wrote:
*Although in the dream I ended up cursing it and being embarassed to leave my house, so perhaps it was all some kind of awful metaphor.

I'd be lynched for my views on the new series. In ye olden days I posted a review of the 1996 movie on usenet after transmission and got slaughtered for being critical. Oddly enough what I said in that review is now the generally held view on that movie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 14:07 
Sweet Potato

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I'd be lynched for my views on the new series. In ye olden days I posted a review of the 1996 movie on usenet after transmission and got slaughtered for being critical. Oddly enough what I said in that review is now the generally held view on that movie.

I think the reason I don't really feel like a Doctor Who fan despite being one by any reasonable definition is because of things like that. It's not just the new series; often it feels like you have to have a huge number of pre-prescribed opinions about the show to talk to Fans-with-a-capital-F which I just don't have. It's a shame, because it would be nice to have a large site where you could criticise Voyage of the Damned for being shite without being mobbed, or where people didn't make topic titles mocking someone for being mentally ill because he doesn't like the new show. Still, OG does have the distinction of falling for a 3-year long obvious pisstake that's brilliantly absurd, so points to it for that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 15:07 
Chinny chin chin

vegetables wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I think the reason I don't really feel like a Doctor Who fan despite being one by any reasonable definition is because of things like that. It's not just the new series; often it feels like you have to have a huge number of pre-prescribed opinions about the show to talk to Fans-with-a-capital-F which I just don't have.

Yes. The Usenet group used to be terrible and was made worse by the fact a huge number of the book authors posted there and had a load of hangers on who backed their opinions to the hilt.

In the end the group imploded because the authors got fed up with the fact that their opinions were questioned and they setup a moderated group that failed.

Shame, because there were some good people on there, many of who now seem to crop up on the DVD documentry credits. I also interviewed Steven Moffat after contacting him via the group for my old website when he wrote Curse Of The Fatal Death. Turned out that writing for Who was one of his ambitions. Little did he know....

Also I remember a young man called Russell popping in one day who was a huge fan of Who and was in the process of writing a drama for Channel 4. He'd already done some obscure sci-fi. I recall him saying how he had so many ideas to revive Who and he'd been speaking to lots of people about it.

Also Gary Russell bitching about anyone who dared disagree with him. Great writer mind.

Those were the days.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 15:16 
Sweet Potato

That all sounds amazing. It almost makes me wish I was ten years older than I am, which is a depressing thing to wish.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 15:57 

vegetables wrote:
The thread on Outpost Gallifrey where they all mock a former Doctor Who writer for his (admittedly rather left-field) views on one of the New-Who episodes, then suggest that he's lying about his health condition when it emerges he has serious mental health problems, is probably the most horrible thread I've ever seen on the internet.

Which thread was this? I only tend to skim read most stuff in there (and avoid several of the forums entirely).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 16:22 
Chinny chin chin

vegetables wrote:
That all sounds amazing. It almost makes me wish I was ten years older than I am, which is a depressing thing to wish.

The advantage of it was that this was in the days before the masses got online. By around 2000 few interesting people were posting and it had descended into geekdom and trolling. The glory years were arguably 1995 to 1999. Everything was new, novel and exciting and posting volumes were lower but at a high quality with fairly good self-policing.

The old quotefiles are here:

http://www.geocities.com/radwquotefile/

Even I can't remember some of the jokes but some of the names are interesting. Scroll down abit as the 2002 stuff is at the top and it was shit by then.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 16:33 
Chinny chin chin

In fact, just reading through the Quotefile I found this gem of a spoof news report from April Fools Day 2000. Bloody hell, it's like they could see the future!

LONDON, April 1, 2000 -- The duo behind the successful drama "Queer As
Folk", Russell Davies and Matt Jones, will be producing a revival of
"Doctor Who" with co-production money from the US cable network
Showtime, the BBC announced today. As with its other SF/fantasy
series, including "Stargate SG-1" and "Poltergeist: The Legacy",
Showtime has committed to a multi-year run ahead of time -- a
record-breaking four seasons of 22 episodes each.

Paul McGann has signed on to play the eighth Doctor. Writing staff
positions and/or script assignments have already been offered to Paul
Cornell, Kate Orman, Jonathan Blum, Lance Parkin, Paul Leonard, Chris
Boucher, Gareth Roberts, Marc Platt, Steven Gallagher, Christopher H.
Bidmead, Steven Moffat, Peter Allan Fields, and Cannes jury prize
winner Rona Munro. In addition, the producers are setting up a
special unit to work with aspiring scriptwriters, in hopes of
cultivating new talent, and are also contacting a variety of
established names from literary SF. Ben Aaronovitch has been given
the position of Free-Floating Agent of Chaos, being paid a chunk of
money just to hang around the production office contributing witty
lines and ideas, without ever having a script deadline. Lawrence
Miles is reported to be locked in the basement with a word processor
and an IV drip filled with caffiene.

When asked if the new production would be canonical, Davies simply
pointed and laughed.

In addition to the TV episodes, McGann will also be recording six
audio plays a year, released through the BBC's licensing deal with Big
Finish Productions. 'The idea is that we can produce fannish stories
for the fan niche market on audio, with all the old character
appearances anyone could want - and that way we keep them from
cluttering up the TV stories,' said Davies. (The only such story
announced so far is Jon Blum's seventh/eighth Doctor story, tenatively
titled "The Child Is The Father Of The Man".)

Aside from a cameo by the Daleks in an episode entitled "The Ashes of
Skaro", no characters from the old show are scheduled to appear until
at least the first-season finale. The series will feature a mixture
of stand-alone stories and a new ongoing story arc -- one which will
have 'little or nothing' to do with the Time Lords or Gallifrey,
according to Davies.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 16:41 
Sweet Potato

Daniel wrote:
Which thread was this? I only tend to skim read most stuff in there (and avoid several of the forums entirely).

http://www.gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31032

It is, in fairness, years old. I found it on Wikipedia while I was trying to access the cached archives of Lawrence Miles' old blog, as what I've found is amazing in a kind of hideous-yet-oddly-endearing-car-crash of a sense. Which isn't to say I'm reading them to laugh at them by any means; they're often very interesting and insightful, just in possibly the most painful way imaginable. I'm astounded that thread wasn't locked after the "updated review" was posted there; it's only then things get really bad.

EDIT: I am not going to click on your link, Chinnyhill, for if I do I will fail all my exams and end up living in a box.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 17:49 

vegetables wrote:
It is, in fairness, years old. I found it on Wikipedia while I was trying to access the cached archives of Lawrence Miles' old blog, as what I've found is amazing in a kind of hideous-yet-oddly-endearing-car-crash of a sense. Which isn't to say I'm reading them to laugh at them by any means; they're often very interesting and insightful, just in possibly the most painful way imaginable. I'm astounded that thread wasn't locked after the "updated review" was posted there; it's only then things get really bad.

Aha. I see what you mean; it seemed pretty innocuous at first - just standard forum flaming about someone who offers a differing opinion to the party-line - but then it's revealed the bloke has some problems, and we get this response;

Quote:
Interesting tactic he uses ... claims he's a schizophrenic. No doubt other critics and debaters will use that one from now on: "don't mind me! I'm a schizophrenic/ I'm suffering from Tourettes Syndrome blah blah blah excuse blah oooh look I'm a martyr see? Arse! I hate you and so does my other 'arf blah blah"

People are shit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 19:30 
Rude Belittler

Is this a record? 4 decent episodes of New Who... in a row!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 20:58 
Contains Mild Peril

chinnyhill10 wrote:
The old quotefiles are here:

http://www.geocities.com/radwquotefile/

Even I can't remember some of the jokes but some of the names are interesting. Scroll down abit as the 2002 stuff is at the top and it was shit by then.

Ye gods that brings back memories. If only because I edited one of those. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 23:56 
Where are you?

I'm not sure about McGann as the 11th Doctor, but how about a mini-series on the Time Wars?

Reply to topic  [ 4308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next