Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 22:31 
I forgot about this - how vain

Dudley wrote:
Lave wrote:
I'sa Got'sa Mac'sa! So I can't do that.

Well that's your own damned fault.

And I wouldn't have it any other way

/hugs iboo#¡€3123124hjkl123€¡#¡€¢................CARRIER LOST

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 22:34 
baron of techno

no you really can, on mac. I'll tell all 2morrow but basically google beebhack wiki and you'll find it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 22:34 

Lave wrote:
Ah the official windows torrent version.

I'sa Got'sa Mac'sa! So I can't do that.

In fact, you can.

[And here is where the edit is.]

http://labsix.net/beeb/

Much easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 22:38 
baron of techno

yeh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:57 

Oooh, ace - I love me terminal me, I'll have a looksie. Thanks!

Also I've been geeking out in the drwhoforum place and these postured a number of interesting theories.

DON'T BLOOMIN READ UNLESS YOU CAN ACCEPT POSSIBLE SPOILERS ALRIGHT!?
That's assuming their spectulation is correct and the ideas do range from credible to the incredibly silly... but still...

That and I don't know (and don't want to know) if there are proper leaks about and these people are just pretending to have worked it out...

So disclaimers done lets get speculating!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Idea 1 Donna is a ....

So apparently Donna has two heart beats in that scene just before they talk about the bees. (But watching it again on iplayer it sounds just like a heartbeat to me)

That tied in with 'Donna' meaning 'Woman' in italian/latin (i dunno) and Noble meaning 'Lord' and 'Temp' being latin (?) for time makes here a Time Lady.... So people say she could be susan (yeah right!) or Romana who's hidden in a human body and has her DNA-ma-whatsits in that big ring she wears...

Whilst I doubt that - it does make me believe that Donna saying "I'm just a temp" this whole time is because she's just a temporary form that something 'else' (the Dark Lord?) has taken and that she'll have to sacrifice herself to stop it. Though I still think it's Rose who dies...

Idea 2 - Return of old Doctors.

Because Davros/Cann or someone calls The Dr the 'threefold man' that means due to the regeneration - some old Doctors will be coming back for the episode. The evidence put forward for this is the fact that the end music apparently sounds like it's from "The Five Doctors" and that Sylvester McCoy is in his Dr Who get up whilst being interviewed in this weeks Dr Who Confidential (where infact he's just wearing a hat, a suit, and carrying an umbrella)

Sounds rubbish to me, but entertaining rubbish!

But yeah, I just think that the Magic hand in a jar makes him not need to regenerate...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 
Rude Belittler

I hope Ace and her magic baseball bat turns up, and proceeds to beat the shit out of the Daleks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:38 
Sweet Potato

Pundabaya wrote:
I hope Ace and her magic baseball bat turns up, and proceeds to beat the shit out of the Daleks.

Isn't she dead? I think the problem with Ace is that she could pretty much of ended up anywhere, and more or less has, with all the spin-offs controdicting each other regarding it. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but rather cleverly almost none of the Doctor's old companions would be on this twentieth century earth, even the ones in the books and audios. They all seemed to end up in increasingly bizarre places as the show went on. I suppose Teagen might still be around if we ignore the audio where she dies a slow and painful death, but apart from that I think it's just really The Brig, Jo, and possibly Liz and Ian Chesterton. And, um, Anji, perhaps. That's a bit depressing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:57 
lazy eye patch

And Sarah Jane, natch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 19:55 
Sweet Potato

CUS wrote:
And Sarah Jane, natch.

Well, yes. And Harry, but I always assumed he was dead because his actor is, of a really hideous disease.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 19:57 
Chinny chin chin

vegetables wrote:
CUS wrote:
And Sarah Jane, natch.

Well, yes. And Harry, but I always assumed he was dead because his actor is, of a really hideous disease.

HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 22:18 
Excellent Member

Lave wrote:

Also I've been geeking out in the drwhoforum place and these postured a number of interesting theories.

That's assuming their spectulation is correct and the ideas do range from credible to the incredibly silly... but still...

That and I don't know (and don't want to know) if there are proper leaks about and these people are just pretending to have worked it out...

Idea 1 is a clever one! I can imagine that happening. Hope it isn't Romana though, as I can't accept her as anything other than Lalla Ward, 'cos she's nice.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 22:39 
making out to faces of death

I like the idea of Donna's name having meaning like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 22:41 
lazy eye patch

Lave, Pete:

Coo, I hadn't thought of 'temp' as pertaining to time itself. Clever.* That's very interesting indeed. I had wondered about her being a temp - noticed early on with RTD that he does tend to use repetition a lot (obviously as with the Bad Wolf thing, more subtly like Donna repeatedly mentioning being a temp). I had wondered if Donna being a temp wasn't a reference to her being the 'first new companion to die', or something - that you shouldn't be expecting her to stick around. Given that Catherine Tate 'has a day job', that was my assumption. But that you've said there - coo.

I'm still trying to tie her in with River Song. River said she last saw the Doctor at the Medusa Cascade**, but that by the time she left him he was old, very old. She's someone the doctor trusts completely (apparently, as she knows his name and has his screwdriver). She has red hair. She knows the doctor - but not Donna, around whom she was very cautious and distanced.

Well, they're at the Medusa Cascade, and with the doctor's possible regeneration, and the fate of the human race (and perhaps most importantly, his bezzies) hanging in the balance - might he about to become very old indeed? Either physically or emotionally, like.
* er, not because I didn't think of it...
** I THINK. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 22:46 

If this theory about Donna being one of those is true, that means that RTD must have had it in mind ever since The Runaway Bride. Can't see that being the case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 22:55 

CUS wrote:
She knows the doctor - but not Donna, around whom she was very cautious and distanced.

Maybe she was looking at her like she would look at an unexploded universe destroying time bomb. Or she's secretly evil without knowing it. And how come she still has that thing on her back?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 22:59 
lazy eye patch

She doesn't still have something on her back though, does she? I remember someone at the Shadow Proclamation saying that she HAD something... did River Song say something then?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:04 
Chinny chin chin

nervouspete wrote:
I can't accept her as anything other than Lalla Ward, 'cos she's nice.

Romana 1 would like to show you two reasons to change your mind......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:13 

I could have misheard it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:13 
lazy eye patch

Two beautiful eyes there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 13:30 

CUS wrote:
Lave, Pete:

Coo, I hadn't thought of 'temp' as pertaining to time itself. Clever.* That's very interesting indeed. I had wondered about her being a temp - noticed early on with RTD that he does tend to use repetition a lot (obviously as with the Bad Wolf thing, more subtly like Donna repeatedly mentioning being a temp). I had wondered if Donna being a temp wasn't a reference to her being the 'first new companion to die', or something - that you shouldn't be expecting her to stick around. Given that Catherine Tate 'has a day job', that was my assumption. But that you've said there - coo.

I'm still trying to tie her in with River Song. River said she last saw the Doctor at the Medusa Cascade**, but that by the time she left him he was old, very old. She's someone the doctor trusts completely (apparently, as she knows his name and has his screwdriver). She has red hair. She knows the doctor - but not Donna, around whom she was very cautious and distanced.

Well, they're at the Medusa Cascade, and with the doctor's possible regeneration, and the fate of the human race (and perhaps most importantly, his bezzies) hanging in the balance - might he about to become very old indeed? Either physically or emotionally, like.
* er, not because I didn't think of it...
** I THINK. I think.

I don't think he'll be meeting River Song again this series, or maybe this doctor, I watched the confidential episode and the BBC 7 commentary show* and Moffat said that because he's always been into Doctor Who he's used to people talking about their favourite childhood Doctor and how he 'was better back then'. And that he wanted to do a 'future nostaliga' episode where someone meets the doc now and has nostalgia for their future Doctor and how he'll be 'much better by then.'
Thats why she was a bit dissapointed at how rubbish he was.

He wanted to lay the foundations for saying if you think the Doctors good now, imagine what he'll be like in a few hundred years.

Saying that though, if he is going to be companionless by the end of next week, then she would be a perfect next companion.

*which is the DVD commentary track played as though it was a radio show, and so is both very indulgent and geeky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 16:18 
Rude Belittler

I don't think Harriet Jones is dead... the reason the Daleks shoot disintegration beams is for family-friendly TV-deaths, so why not just show Harriet Jones dying?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 16:25 
Excellent Member

From my sources (some bloke from a forum) this is what happens in the last episode:
Spoilers!!!

As the Doctor regenerates at the beginning of episode 13 the regeneration energy sparks out and hits the Doctor’s hand in the glass jar which he now has in the TARDIS. This causes the regeneration to go badly wrong, causing the Tenth Doctor to remain the Tenth Doctor, and the hand grows into a duplicate of the Tenth Doctor. So, two David Tennant’s are running around episode 13.

- The proper Doctor is still in the his brown suit. And Ten’s duplicate wears the blue suit. However, the duplicate in the blue suit is human and not a Time Lord…or Gallifreyan.

- Donna dies, but the Doctor goes back in time and saves her life and ends up wiping her memory of everything she has done with him, so she doesn’t remember who he is.

- At the end of episode 13, Rose goes back to her parallel world where the human duplicate of the Tenth Doctor stays with her, and gets to live the life that the proper Doctor has never had.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 17:59 

Why does that plot sound like it should feature more dinosaurs with lasers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 20:27 

because every plot sounds like it needs more that?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:04 
Chinny chin chin

Dudley wrote:
because every plot sounds like it needs more that?

Yeah, that's what Terrance Dicks thought in 1974.*

* One for the anoraks there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:39 
lazy eye patch

Thought: what if Harriet Jones, who apparently had thought ahead quite a bit, had access to an EMP? That would take out her computers, cameras etc. and might get the Daleks. They have a projectile shield, but maybe nothing more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 

CUS wrote:
Thought: what if Harriet Jones, former PM, who apparently had thought ahead quite a bit, had access to an EMP? That would take out her computers, cameras etc. and might get the Daleks. They have a projectile shield, but maybe nothing more.

I know who you are FTFY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 17:41 

From an interview with RTD

Quote:
How frustrating do you find some viewers' appetite for the publication of spoilers?
Tom Murphy, London

Well, it's actually very few people, to be honest. There are some people who like spoilers, and they spoil it for themselves - and they like spoiling it.

It's when they then promote it on a bigger scale and they push those spoilers into the tabloids so the general public get to hear.

I think it's a real shame and I think it undermines all storytelling.

I think the leaking of stories undermines most British drama at the moment. Most soap operas give away their stories months in advance and every soap opera has declining ratings.

THEN DON'T FUCKING PUT HUGE ALMOST UNAVOIDABLE SPOILERS AT THE END OF EVERY COCKING EPISODE OF THE CUNTING PROGRAM YOU SEXUALITY OBSESSED TOSSER

Ahem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 17:59 

You are being ridiculous Dudros.

People spoiling the big bad and putting it in the Sun months in advance is a bit different to a teaser trailer. Though I understand your annoyance for them (as they are annoying).

What is going to bother me though is when the big reset switch is pressed next week and everyone moans, despite it already being obvious - and RTD stating that this was him sorting out his period of the show so Moffat could take over. AKA the biggest reset switch to date..

Sure pressing the reset switch at the end of every big event is a really silly, but it's obviously needed if Dr Who is to remain relevant to the world we live in.

And if they don't who'll put the moon back in orbit?

EDIT: And unavoidable? Erm, I've no problem skipping em.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 18:28 
Where are you?

It'll be interesting to see how much is reset, though. Presumably, Earth will be put back and all the people will somehow forget about or ignore all the events. Oh, and all the stuff the daleks mangled will be magically rebuilt.

But will Moff's Doc still be the only Time Lord?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 18:29 

nervouspete wrote:
Lave wrote:

Idea 1 is a clever one! I can imagine that happening. Hope it isn't Romana though, as I can't accept her as anything other than Lalla Ward, 'cos she's nice.

Lalla Ward is married to Richard Dawkins.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 18:46 

The earth and everything have been moved one second into the future. That means none of this has happened yet, and never will.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 19:43 
Goth

So can we have Sally Sparrow as the companion now?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 19:44 

Aww. :'(

although, her ring glinted suspiciously. oh blimey did I just write that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 19:45 

Well thank god - he barely fucked that up at all!

Nice one Russel - four years of ups and downs but we have Who and the future has never been brighter for it - here's to you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 19:52 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Seriously, they should have had two directors, Davies for the ending, and someone else for the action scenes, would have been better.

That dragging the Earth thing, seriously, WTF.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 19:54 
What-ho, chaps!

Nothing stupidly ridiculous happened. No reset!

Groovy.

And now all Donna has to do is read a newspaper or anything and her head explodes!

bring-bring
Martha: "Hey Donna! Nice work saving the universe and all. Jack says "Hi!""
Poppa Donna: "No! Sod off! She doesn't want to speak to the likes of you!"
Donna: "OOOOOOOI! Give me that! Who's this?"
Martha: "It's Martha!" --- "And Jack! How's it going?"
Donna: "Martha... and Jack?"
BANG.

Can the Doctor really smoosh minds just by touching them? What a bastard!

And lucky Jack!
Jack knows how to fix his Time Agent wristo faster now, and he has the base code. Not to mention that Torchwood is practically made of the stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 20:02 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'd just like to say that I don't watch Dr. Who, but having watched today's finale I'm really glad I don't. The whole thing seems like a load of ludicrious last-minute exposition to justify wild plot twists that ultimately save the day. Big load of tangentic nonsense, and not in a good or entertaining or well-acted way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 20:08 
That Rev Chap

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I'd just like to say that I don't watch Dr. Who, but having watched today's finale I'm really glad I don't. The whole thing seems like a load of ludicrious last-minute exposition to justify wild plot twists that ultimately save the day. Big load of tangentic nonsense, and not in a good or entertaining or well-acted way.

[vote:ComicalGnomes]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 20:11 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

ComicalGnomes wrote:

I watch Doctor Who, and I would agree with you. I think it is a factor of 3 things:
1) There is a significant number of writers each with their own agenda.
2) It can't decide whether to be serious or funny, so is neither.
3) There was a third, but cider disagrees.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 21:33 
Sleepyhead

Bobbyaro wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

I watch Doctor Who, and I would agree with you. I think it is a factor of 3 things:
1) There is a significant number of writers each with their own agenda.
2) It can't decide whether to be serious or funny, so is neither.
3) There was a third, but cider disagrees.

I actually watched all of the Ecclestone stuff, and the entire first series of Tennant... I kept on forgetting to watch this series though, as I am a fool. I watched the episode today having no bloody clue what was going on or how it got to be that way, but...

...it was ace! Utterly ridiculous and stupid. Which is just what I needed.

Huzzah!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:50 

I did like it. Particuarly

How all the people's cunning McGuffins came to nothing, maybe RTD was acknowledging something about that, and giving internet gossip hounds some red herrings in the bargain. Plus the accusations and flashbacks of all the poor people who ended up dying so the doctor didn't have to die or be killed himself. Davros was right in a way, how the Doctor inspires people so much they're prepared to kill and die in his causes. Which makes him a total user.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:14 

But that bit is stupid. OK, so people die in the name of the Doctor, but they do so to save millions of lives like the ones that the Daleks were trying to EXTERMINEIREN this episode.

We saw just two episodes ago what would happen to the world if the Doctor wasn't around, so it doesn't really work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:32 

It works if you are the Doctor...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

Would someone like to explain to me, as someone who hasn't watched since early season 2, just how the fuck the daleks were back AGAIN?

My previous experience of the series saw one dalek, the one that had been captured, that Rose revived but ultimated killed itself. At that point the Doctor declared all daleks dead, hurrah.

Except he was wrong, because there was that episode where the dalek's were trapped in a time lord prison and hundreds of them came out of a tiny device, woo, except they all got killed too, and then THAT was supposed to be the end of them.

Yet here I see they were dragged up again from somewhere. How? No doubt some ludicrious plot twist that means oh ho, they weren't really dead, or something, yet again.

I also see from the xmas 2008 preview that the Cybermen are back.... AGAIN. I mean, for fucks say writers, come up with another interesting inspiring badie that isn't taken from 30 years ago. Pffffffffft.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:34 

It was explained how the Daleks were back in the last episode; Davros created a race of new, pure Daleks using cells from his own body.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

ComicalGnomes wrote:

:this:
I caught this one, and spent most of it going 'hahaha what?'
Towing the Earth?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:17 
Excellent Member

I thought it was good, but needed more dinosaurs with lasers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:23 

andyb wrote:
I thought it was good, but needed more dinosaurs with lasers.

:DD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:28 

Grim... wrote:
I caught this one, and spent most of it going 'hahaha what?'
Towing the Earth?

A normal Tardis, with a normal crew of six, would have to do this sort of thing routinely as they policed time. Remeber the Doctor is a renegade and the Tardis chooses the timelord, not the other way around - and there's likely as not enough power in any given dimension (a Tardis is one) to tow a lump of rock with a little atmosphere.

Reply to topic  [ 4308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 87  Next