Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 14:09 
Prince of Fops

Started Homecoming last night. Never listened to the podcast, so wasn't sure what to expect, but it's a thriller starring Julia Roberts about a facility rehabilitating soldiers after they return from duty.

It's written by Sam "Mr Robot" Esmail, and produced by the same company, Anonymous Content. Definitely shares some of the same aesthetic beats, from typography to super zoomed out cinematography.

And it seems ace. Offbeat, darkly comic tone, interesting characters and, best of all, each episode is 28 minutes. I can't remember the last time I watched a proper drama that delivered its story in easily digestible 30-minute nuggets. Very welcome.

On Amazon Prime, for those interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 14:29 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Started Homecoming last night. Never listened to the podcast, so wasn't sure what to expect, but it's a thriller starring Julia Roberts about a facility rehabilitating soldiers after they return from duty.

It's written by Sam "Mr Robot" Esmail, and produced by the same company, Anonymous Content. Definitely shares some of the same aesthetic beats, from typography to super zoomed out cinematography.

And it seems ace. Offbeat, darkly comic tone, interesting characters and, best of all, each episode is 28 minutes. I can't remember the last time I watched a proper drama that delivered its story in easily digestible 30-minute nuggets. Very welcome.

Mrs B and I started watching it over Christmas but we're only two episodes in. I can only echo your thoughts about both the tone and the length and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where it goes. Though, for balance, Mrs B didn't seem all that taken with it for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 22:34 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Mrs B and I started watching it over Christmas but we're only two episodes in. I can only echo your thoughts about both the tone and the length and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where it goes. Though, for balance, Mrs B didn't seem all that taken with it for some reason.

Excellent episode teasers on the menu screen, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:45 
Thanks

Kern wrote:
Kern wrote:
BBC4 have picked up Ken Burns' Vietnam, starting Monday at 21:00. Other than his famous Civil War doc (that I find hasn't aged well), I really enjoyed his one on prohibition and probably ought to get round to seeing his one on the West.

Watched the first two episodes this evening. It's very well done and I've learnt loads about the conflict already. It's also very uncompromising in its use of footage and photographs. Highly recommended.

The TL;DW is:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
blame the French.

I have now watched all of 'THE VIETNAM WAR', quite a significant undertaking at over 17 hours, but very much worth the investment of time.

I decided to watch it because I realised I didn't actually know much about the war. I mean, we've all seen Platoon and Born On The Fourth of July and suchlike, we all know it was a 'bad' war and the Americans eventually called it quits - but if you'd have asked me two weeks ago for even basic information such as:

1) The history of the country
2) How many US troops were sent
3) Why did the USA get involved in the war beyond 'communism'
4) What was the political backdrop to the war
5) What happened after the US left

I'd have had no idea.

So going into this I was very keen to learn, and learn I did.

It is at times at a difficult watch, there wasn't a single episode that I didn't have to pause at least once (and often multiple times), to just have a little walk downstairs and find some trivial task to perform, to process what I was watching. I cried many times, and Mrs Hearthly and Jnr would often get extra big hugs when they went to bed.

The war footage and images are shocking enough, however the thing that affected me the most was the interviewees they had, from all sides of the conflict. And every single one of them would reach a point (or points) in their tale where their voice would crack, and in many cases weep, the pain and the horror of the war still capable of reducing them to tears over 40 years later.

I would recommend this documentary to everyone, its run length allows it to cover the origins of the conflict, the war itself and its aftermath in forensic and unsparing detail, I now feel that I have a solid understanding of a subject that, in honesty, I was essentially ignorant about before.

Documentary making at its finest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 19:05 
Comfortably Dumb

I never realised there were so many episodes of Baywatch. All 9 seasons, with 22 episodes apiece, have been added to Amazon Prime today, if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 14:22 
INFINITE POWAH

The Rookie is, unsurprisingly, enjoyable. I love Nathan Fillion so very very much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 14:45 
INFINITE POWAH

Although I'm not sure why he's pretending to be 40 (my age, FFS) when he's pushing 50.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 14:45 
INFINITE POWAH

Mind you, I wish I looked as good as he does.

He really is ruggedly handsome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 22:31 
Bad Girl

So I’m watching The Assassination of Gianne Versace: American Crime Story and something is bugging me. I’m sat here thinking “Hah. She looks like Salma Hayek or Penelope Cruise.” Then “Fuck me and he looks like Ricky Martin”. 5 episodes later and it’s eating away at me so fiercely I decide to look it up. It was Penelope Cruise and Ricky Martin.

It’s 95% brilliant so far. 5% knocked off for that campy guy from American Horror Story: Apocalypse. He’s not awful but he’s, ok, he’s awful. I just can’t get on board with him. The actor who plays the serial killer is fucking TERRIFIC though. Darren Criss? I don’t follow him or know him really but he absolutely MURDERED (pun intended) this role.

The cinematography is great. Acting superb. The music is fucking great. And if you like watching sweaty men then you’re in for a treat! Mr Criss is the star of the show though. He’s always just-about-boiling over mental.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 22:59 
Gogmagog

3 series of Preacher was super silly great fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:58 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MaliA wrote:
3 series of Preacher was super silly great fun.

My absolute favourite. I love Preacher.

Reply to topic  [ 7111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143