Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 8484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 13:04 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 3058
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
JBR wrote:
The Rookie is back! I love The Rookie!

The Rookie has a spin-off! Um, save your time. I did not. Do not let my sacrifice be in vain.


The back door pilot where they introduced her was abysmal. She was just so badly written and over-acted that it was a huge missed opportunity. I downloaded S01E01, looked at the score on IMDB and hit delete.

You were braver than me. She worked pretty well as a one-off, but it's an odd character to try and carry a show with. A few reviews praised the cameos from Rookie characters, but even those seemed forced - hey look, here's characteryoualreadylike, and they're talking to the newbie and taking her seriously! Yikes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 13:38 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 38076
I think I'll skip it. Already too many shows to be watched at the moment


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:59 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48108
Location: Cheshire
House of the dragon: everyone looks the same, has the same sounding names, and there's a lot of filler in it where, for example, one shot could many minutes shorter, but does give me time to try to work out what is going on. Which err, isn't much.

Holywell Bay looks lovely, though, and remains my favourite beach.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:50 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 38076
I'm really not bothered about watching House of The Dragon. I figured I'd leave it until after Rings of Power, but I still can't be arsed with it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:55 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48108
Location: Cheshire
DavPaz wrote:
I'm really not bothered about watching House of The Dragon. I figured I'd leave it until after Rings of Power, but I still can't be arsed with it


I can't be bothered with Rings of Power as I saw the episode 6 recap header in the Graun which was "Finally something happens!"

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:56 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 3058
DavPaz wrote:
I'm really not bothered about watching House of The Dragon. I figured I'd leave it until after Rings of Power, but I still can't be arsed with it

I went through 6 episodes, getting more bored but also annoyed. I knew the time-jump was happening, and it was still annoying. Then I reminded myself I didn't have to watch it, and now I'm happier. I've read the Guardian's synopsis and that's enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:06 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14237
I’m loving House of the Dragon. Great acting, complex characters, gorgeous sets, makeup and costumes, CG is excellent and the development between the characters is fascinating (albeit it now feels like a setup for seasons to come).

Rings of Power however. Fuck me. One dimensional characters, one dimensional baddies, some awful acting/actors, stiff dialogue, glacial pacing, no drama, no excitement, little in the way of story so far. 6 (or is it 7) hours of TV and it’s had a thirty minute battle that wasn’t very good. The monumental budget has absolutely been fucking squandered somewhere and it certainly hasn’t been on the things that actually matters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:41 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 4194
Satsuma wrote:
I’m loving House of the Dragon. Great acting, complex characters, gorgeous sets, makeup and costumes, CG is excellent and the development between the characters is fascinating (albeit it now feels like a setup for seasons to come).

Rings of Power however. Fuck me. One dimensional characters, one dimensional baddies, some awful acting/actors, stiff dialogue, glacial pacing, no drama, no excitement, little in the way of story so far. 6 (or is it 7) hours of TV and it’s had a thirty minute battle that wasn’t very good. The monumental budget has absolutely been fucking squandered somewhere and it certainly hasn’t been on the things that actually matters.


I too am enjoying HotD. It's infinitely less bewildering than GoT was (as someone who had never read it). Acting is generally very good (aside from Nu Rhaenyr and Laenor) who are both a bit crap and camp (and the latter features in the new series of Ghosts, I noticed). It has characters doing generally interesting things that aren't also very stupid things. Also feels less needlessly salacious than GoT was, which is A Good Thing In My Opinion.

RoP I haven't watched.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 13:13 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16418
Findus Fop wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
I’m loving House of the Dragon. Great acting, complex characters, gorgeous sets, makeup and costumes, CG is excellent and the development between the characters is fascinating (albeit it now feels like a setup for seasons to come).

Rings of Power however. Fuck me. One dimensional characters, one dimensional baddies, some awful acting/actors, stiff dialogue, glacial pacing, no drama, no excitement, little in the way of story so far. 6 (or is it 7) hours of TV and it’s had a thirty minute battle that wasn’t very good. The monumental budget has absolutely been fucking squandered somewhere and it certainly hasn’t been on the things that actually matters.


I too am enjoying HotD. It's infinitely less bewildering than GoT was (as someone who had never read it). Acting is generally very good (aside from Nu Rhaenyr and Laenor) who are both a bit crap and camp (and the latter features in the new series of Ghosts, I noticed). It has characters doing generally interesting things that aren't also very stupid things. Also feels less needlessly salacious than GoT was, which is A Good Thing In My Opinion.

I don't know maybe it was because of the salaciousness and I'm a bad person but I remember GoT at its height being actually exciting. An episode would finish and I would feel a bit sad to have a to wait a week for the next one. Not really finding that at all with this more kitchen sink glimpse into the lives of ordinary dragon riders.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 13:25 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48108
Location: Cheshire
markg wrote:
....more kitchen sink glimpse into the lives of ordinary dragon riders.


Waiting For A Coronation Street

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 15:19 
User avatar
Hibernating Druid

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48705
Location: Standing on your mother's Porsche
It’s dropped right off the Craster scale, and that’s what hurts.

_________________
SD&DG Illustrated! Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 21:57 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48108
Location: Cheshire
The Midnight Club: terrifying, and great.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 20:37 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14237
Rings of Power finale was terrible. Honestly, I’m surprised how much they utterly fucked it up the series, especially after I was really enjoying the first two episodes. Thing is, it didn’t do anything after those two episodes. Just fuck all happened for over six hours. I didn’t care about any of the characters or what they were doing. Worst still, I would probably have joined Frodo on his suicide mission within the first hour of the first LotR. It did so much within a fraction of the time this series dragged on for. And when we get to the reveal “I’m Sauron” I could barely muster any emotion or give two fucks. Best I could do was stifle a laugh at how stupid it was.

$1,000,000,000 utterly pissed down the drain. I just can’t even comprehend what it’s like to do that with so many problems in the world, and not even come out with an amazing set of 8 episodes each better than the last. Wow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 20:42 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 38076
Nah. It was ace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 21:15 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10602
Location: Devon
I quite liked it, I didn't realise that was the series finale though. That's disappointing.

Yes it's slow, but it's quite interesting seeing how some of the beloved characters were acting when the rings of power were created.

Its very pretty, a little slow, but quite good. 7/10

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 20:58 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14237
Just remembered that but where nu-Gandalf says “I. AM… GOOOD”.

Quality TV.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:11 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 38076
Satsuma wrote:
Just remembered that but where nu-Gandalf says “I. AM… GOOOD”.

Quality TV.

It was "I AM GROOOOOT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:18 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48108
Location: Cheshire
Midnight Club:. Great, until the final episode which, by and large, was rubbish, except for the bits where
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
stories they told each other were finished
.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:15 
User avatar
Can you dig it?

Joined: 5th Apr, 2008
Posts: 4483
Blockbuster, from someone associated with Brooklyn nine-nine but without any of the zing or the zazz or the zhoush....

Just so totally mehhhhhhhhhhhh.

_________________
rumours about the high quality of the butter reached Yerevan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:19 
User avatar
Can you dig it?

Joined: 5th Apr, 2008
Posts: 4483
The Terminal List has Chris Pratt as a slightly unconvincing tough Navy SEAL, with some trauma and a big old bonk on the old noggin having scrambled his mind a bit.

Could be interesting to see if it's all in his head (of course it won't be though, it will be some shady underworld illuminati shit that he will get to the bottom of and be totally vindicated only to realise how much further up to the top it goes and FIND OUT MORE IN SEASON 2)

_________________
rumours about the high quality of the butter reached Yerevan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:21 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48108
Location: Cheshire
Sir Taxalot wrote:
The Terminal List has Chris Pratt as a slightly unconvincing tough Navy SEAL, with some trauma and a big old bonk on the old noggin having scrambled his mind a bit.

Could be interesting to see if it's all in his head (of course it won't be though, it will be some shady underworld illuminati shit that he will get to the bottom of and be totally vindicated only to realise how much further up to the top it goes and FIND OUT MORE IN SEASON 2)


I really enjoyed it!

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 17:17 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 3058
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Blockbuster, from someone associated with Brooklyn nine-nine but without any of the zing or the zazz or the zhoush....

Just so totally mehhhhhhhhhhhh.

I lasted five minutes. Yeesh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 17:17 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 3058
Sir Taxalot wrote:
The Terminal List has Chris Pratt as a slightly unconvincing tough Navy SEAL, with some trauma and a big old bonk on the old noggin having scrambled his mind a bit.

Could be interesting to see if it's all in his head (of course it won't be though, it will be some shady underworld illuminati shit that he will get to the bottom of and be totally vindicated only to realise how much further up to the top it goes and FIND OUT MORE IN SEASON 2)

I watched all of this, though liked it less and less from half way. It was ...fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 21:07 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 24919
Caught up with the rest of the world and watched Wednesday.

It was ok.

Wednesday’s performance is all one note. It just gets a bit stale by episode 4, and though you might say there are subtle nuances that come through they are too subtle to be redeeming.

Enid is clearly the main character. She’s great. Enid spin off show, please.

I’m not convinced by Catherine Zeta Jones as Morticia, which is such a shame as I adore her and was 100% ready for it to be brilliant. It’s terrible to say, but HD TV gets in the way of what would have been Hollywood glamour as the make up is so thick and Cakey.

I’m pretty sure anyone my age must be thinking ‘Fairuza Balk would have absolutely NAILED Wednesday’s role in the 90s’.

I didn’t hate it as much as I hate a lot of recent-ish Tim Burton stuff, but that’s because neither Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter were in it. Not that I dislike Helena B C, but Tim Burton makes her boring.

Other than that it’s silly TV that passes the time with a bit of fun.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:39 
User avatar
Master of dodgy spelling....

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 22302
Location: shropshire, uk
Mimi wrote:
Caught up with the rest of the world and watched Wednesday.

It was ok.

Wednesday’s performance is all one note. It just gets a bit stale by episode 4, and though you might say there are subtle nuances that come through they are too subtle to be redeeming.

Enid is clearly the main character. She’s great. Enid spin off show, please.

I’m not convinced by Catherine Zeta Jones as Morticia, which is such a shame as I adore her and was 100% ready for it to be brilliant. It’s terrible to say, but HD TV gets in the way of what would have been Hollywood glamour as the make up is so thick and Cakey.

I’m pretty sure anyone my age must be thinking ‘Fairuza Balk would have absolutely NAILED Wednesday’s role in the 90s’.

I didn’t hate it as much as I hate a lot of recent-ish Tim Burton stuff, but that’s because neither Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter were in it. Not that I dislike Helena B C, but Tim Burton makes her boring.

Other than that it’s silly TV that passes the time with a bit of fun.


I agree with you that it was ok. I thought the lead was done really well and having the orginal Wednesday as one of the teachers was a great touch.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:44 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 38076
Sorry to be a pedant (not really) but Christina Ricci is not the original Wednesday.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:48 
User avatar
Master of dodgy spelling....

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 22302
Location: shropshire, uk
Meh :)

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 18:32 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 5069
Location: , Location, Location.
Watched Ep 1 of Wednesday. Left it at that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:07 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49127
I loved it. My only real complaint was that they managed to make Luiz Guzman really greasy and unpleasant, where as I always associate Gomez as being classy and dashing, as Raul Julia portrayed him

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:09 
Awesome
User avatar
Yes

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12161
Cras wrote:
I loved it. My only real complaint was that they managed to make Luiz Guzman really greasy and unpleasant, where as I always associate Gomez as being classy and dashing, as Raul Julia portrayed him

I too thought this but apparently after reading about it the comic book Gomez is a bit more portly and greasy so it's a call to that.

_________________
Always proof read carefully in case you any words out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:15 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49127
Ah fair enough

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:26 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 24919
Cras wrote:
classy and dashing, as Raul Julia portrayed him
. I always thought the original TV Gomez (John Astin*) was quite dashing as a character, too, so I’m my head he’s a dashing character. I’ve not seen the 90s movie, but I agree that this is how I imagine him.

*Father** of Sean Astin!

** Adoped, so no physical resemblance.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:30 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 24919
I had a Google (mostly to fact check myself as I started to wonder if I made part of that up, but I hadn’t) and it turns out Tim Curry had a go at some point, too.

Anyway, was just an excuse for a Tim Curry picture.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 22:09 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14377
Looks interesting :



Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 8484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
cron
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen. RIP, MrC.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.