Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: DEFCON
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 15:31 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Anyone fancy another game of DEFCON tonight, then? I really enjoyed the last time, even though I got my arse kicked.

Post subject: Re: DEFCON
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 16:18 
UltraMod

*cries*

I have the game sat next to me, but it runs all juddery on my laptop. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 16:29 
Excellent Member

Heh heh.

I am. :D

But here are some of the cunning things I do, which ye may be interested to hear. Half of them are obvious ones that you're doing already, though.

Structures:

Airbases tend to be best on the coast so as to support naval operations more easily.

Place silos to cover the biggest concentration of cities. If you're on a big bloc like the USSR, then don't bother trying to cover the far Eastern stragglers.

Radar improves the accuracy of your interceptor missile fire and the range as well, not by much by a nice amount. They are also very fragile, taking only one nuke, and are certainly a worthwhile target. Blinding the enemy and thus slowing his reaction time alone makes it important.

Naval war:

Force naval war closer to your shores so that coastal silos and airbases can help out. Position your destroyers closer to the enemy, keep your carriers behind. Send scouts out to locate the enemy fleet, and then launch your air cover before they actually get into range. I prefer to keep my forces concentrated, but a surprise flank by fleet 2 can panic an enemy. I also concentrate fire by targeting all ships on one ship at a time. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I like it. Aim for carriers first, then hit the destroyers. Concentrate bombers and fighters on carriers too.

Be careful putting your subs too close to the enemy shore, silos and airbases are deadly against them.

Don't be afraid of doggedly hunting for subs. They are a full quarter of a side's strike capability and should be feared.

Bomber use:

If you have time, dog-leg your bombers. You want to aim to have them over enemy territory as little as possible. Arm the nukes early, and then send them in to a location over neutral territory out of radar range and North or south of the enemy. Time it so that by the time the bomber has moved into range it is the exact moment of missile launch. Nukes are quicker to launch upwards or downwards, and the distance tracking curve is less. This is tricky to do, and I forget half the time, but it is satisfying if you manage it.

Don't throw your bombers away. They are even greater than subs in my opinion. Also, take your land bombers and fly them to your carriers to replace ones shot down. Same for fighters if you want.

If you pre-arm nukes, you can use them against fleets. Tricky, because the enemy might move out of the targeted ground space, but funny.

Time on target:

The most important thing. Time on target means arranging the launch times and launch order of your weapons so that they all arrive at the same time. Say you have silos spread through America, and land bombers, and subs off Europe's coast. You are attacking Europe. First fire the West coast silos. Then wait until their missiles are over the midwest silos and launch those. At this point, launch coastal bombers as they are a little slower than missiles. As the silos pass over your East coast silos, fire those. Launch carrier bombers as the land bombers move overhead. Finally, as the huge mass is bearing down, just as they are getting into range, launch your sub missiles. Ergo you have swamped the enemy defences, and taken Europe out. Voila!

I prefer to keep all silos on AA until that critical moment above. I hate launching a few and keeping a few on guard. It's important to risk. Two thirds of the time the enemy will not have the luck to be striking you at the key moment of vulnerability, so matches will tend to work out in your favour if you all-or-nothing.

Hope that helps! The nuclear clock is ticking!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 16:41 
INFINITE POWAH

Are you chaps talking about this game?

It sounds intriguing...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 16:46 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Yes, Mr Chris.

It's an awesome game of backstabbery.

Mypsy, are you telling me you have no PC in your house capable of playing DEFCON? Not even at superlow resolution? It's not like you need awesome fast response time, and I'm sure we can have a gentlemen's agreement not to push the game engine in to Fast mode so you can keep up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 16:46 
Excellent Member

That's the one. It's completely excellent. JOIN US.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 16:47 
INFINITE POWAH

With a minimum spec of P3-600 I'm sure you could run this on a calculator.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 16:48 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Mr Chris wrote:
With a minimum spec of P3-600 I'm sure you could run this on a calculator.

Get it, Mr. Chris.

Geeeet iiiiiit.

Myfinger has it as well, he's an Introversion buff.

Shall we say 8PM?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 19:26 
UltraMod

Sheepeh wrote:
Mypsy, are you telling me you have no PC in your house capable of playing DEFCON? Not even at superlow resolution? It's not like you need awesome fast response time, and I'm sure we can have a gentlemen's agreement not to push the game engine in to Fast mode so you can keep up.

Last time I installed it on this PC I stuck the resolutions and details on the lowest possible settings and it was still unplayable. I'm quite happy to try again...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 19:30 
Excellent Member

Can we say 8:15, getting me some tea. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 19:32 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

No problem Mr Pete. Whenever you like.

Myp, do so!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 20:13 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

The server's up, the password is "excellent".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 20:23 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I join and it claims I'm "unknown" and I can't seem to join ? :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 23:34 
UltraMod

Sorry, I didn't manage to sort it out before you played tonight. Amazingly though, it seems to be working fine on this laptop now, so I'll be up for having my arse handed to me whenever you guys are up for it again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 23:48 
Excellent Member

After Action Report at behest of Sheepeh. Can't remember strict order, so bluffed shamelessly.

(Soundtrack Philip Glass 'Fog of War: Eleven Lessons by Robert McNamara)

Three power blocs dominate the world in 2030. The new Russian Federation, the Asian bloc and the African Union. The respective leaders, NervousPete, Pod and Sheepeh had left Geneva the previous week, unable to agree on distribution of the remaining dwindling oil supplies. Tension was high. Through the following week, emergency services discreetly left the cities. Fleets moved to sea. Combat air patrols increased. Six billion eyes were glued to a multitude of screens; some with sweating news anchors, others with simple vector graphics.

September 26th.

DEFCON 4

Five federation recon planes penetrate Indian airspace. Nervouspete seeks intel on silo locations. It is a terrible gamble. Indian and Pakistani air defences, now working in unison after the ground breaking Asian Accord seven years ago, launch missiles. Through an undetected error in programming, the majority of missiles malfunction. One recon plane pentrates as far as Bombay, sighting two silos, before being downed with the loss of thirteen crew. The other four recon planes go down over Nepal and Northern China, detecting little beyond the Russian Federation's border radar installations.

The flashpoint has long been predicted as being the Russian/Chinese border. Radar are strung out along the line, and the bulk of several Asian silos and two airbases lie south of it. Russia's Northern side is weaker, with but one North coast airbase, two silos and a radar. Russia sees the threat to its Central-Western population, and four silos are deployed there accordingly, and three airbases. It is at this point that the weight of a nuclear strike would fall. The concentration of targets has long left Russia paranoid. The findings of the recon flight have only raised the level of that paranoia.

Meanwhile, Russian subs leave harbour as one fleet heads along the Pacific rim and another through the North sea. The admiralty has great concern that being submerged, their slow speed won't allow them to make an impact at the critical moment. One fleet heads to the West coast of Africa, the other to the Indian Ocean. Asia meanwhile sends one fleet to the pacific, and one to the Indian ocean.

Africa, now unified and increasingly antagonistic in the desire to keep its rich oil and uranium bounty out of the hands of other nations, is now approaching first world status. After a substantial population crash and unrest, a new breed of highly cunning leaders rules the continent in a dictatorship. The dictators ironically prove less corrupt than the previous shaky democracies, and for once the standard of living rises alongside military spending. The majority of Africa's air defences runs in a line from Central Africa down through South Africa, sacrificing the North - including the heaving metropolis that is Cairo. One of Africa's fleets heads up to the North Sea, the other to the Indian Ocean.

September 27th

DEFCON 3

Six Russian passanger planes are downed by long range Indian air defences, with the death of just under one thousand citizens. Global airlines are shut down.

African tanks mass in Iran, aiming to secure an oil pipeline a mere sixty miles from an Asian radar outpost.

September 28th

Two Indian supertankers are sunk by Russian submarine in retaliation. One crew is saved by coastal helicopter. Indian recon flight shot down over Iran. Large Russian fleet sighted within one thousand miles of Japan. Stock market crashes. Panic buying in shops. United States, South America and Europe declare 'armed neutrality'.

September 29th

Russian fleet holds position off Japan.
Chinese long range bomber squadron sinks five Russian cargo ships bound for Australia.
Russia launches long range cruise missile attack against oil facilities in Japan.
Africa sends armoured division to occupy Asian radar outpost in Iran, citing national security. Armoured division bloodily repulsed.
Governments move to bunkers.
Regular programming replaced by Crisis Broadcast System.
US government announces President aboard 'Looking Glass'.

September 30th

Art collections moved out of cities.
Schools closed.
Motorways closed except for military transport.
Remaining reservists called up.
All sides contemplate.

October 1st

DEFCON 2

4:20AM GMT

Russian surface pacific fleet detects Japanese fleet leaving harbour. Vested pacific interests over-ride caution. Admiral ordered to force return of Japanese fleet to port by intimidation. The massed Russian amarda represents the entirity of Russian surface vessels.

5:30AM

Russia launches massed fighters to recon just outside of Japanese missile range. Unknown to Russian forces, Japanese missiles have been upgraded in the preceding month. Thirty seven fighters shot down. Russian launches mix of fighters and bombers to engage enemy fleet, as Japanese destroyers steam in from South West.

Three Russian destroyers are sunk, but Japan loses half her fleet - and a full quarter of Asia's fleet. Russian fighters catch one surfaced nuclear submarine and sink it.

6:20AM

One more Russian destroyer sunk. Three carriers and two destroyers of Japan are sunk. Russia now holds Pacific waters and regular combat air patrols beat off land based fighter attack.

8:20 AM

Skirmishes between African and Asian fleets in Indian ocean. Result inconclusive. Both sides withdraw with minimal losses.

Further recon flights launched by all sides, to heavy loss.

Opening conventional period of war proceeds until 2PM. Total casualties estimated at 230,000.

DEFCON 1

2:15 PM

Asian bomber launches 1 megaton SRBM at South African airbase. Missile intercepted.

2:20 PM

Russian fleet bomber arm launches three nuclear missiles at Asian fleet of two carriers and a destroyer off Seoul. Missiles impact in sea and detonate, but only two picket ships are sunk and several Russian fighters caught in blast. Carriers and destroyer sunk by follow-up conventional attack.

2:30 PM

Russian and Asian bombers launch MIRV missiles at Eastern Russian and Asian radar outposts. Russian missiles are intercepted. Asia knocks out Russian radar. Russia now blind in the East.

Major panic in cities centres.

2:45 PM

Russian bombers launch single MIRV nuclear missile at Tokyo. 7.5 million die instantly as five 1 megaton warheads airburst over capital.

Asian missile attack destroyers Russian Eastern silo and airbase.

3:15 PM

Massed force of Russian fleet bombers launch fourteen missiles at Asian coastal cities and silos. One silo destroyed, over sixteen million die in attack.

3:45 PM

Asian nuclear submarine fleet launches against East African coastal cities. Ten million die in attack.

African bombers penetrate Russian airspace, launch limited strike against Central Russian cities. Ten million die in attack. Russia retaliates with nuclear strike against North African radar and Cairo. Twenty million die in Cairo alone.

4:12 PM

Twelve high-yield stratospheric nuclear detonations cause EMP burst that knocks out all non-hardened systems. America and Europe unable to observe timings of exchange. Procedure of events over next eight hours impossible to verify...

Russian fleet wipes out coastal Asia.

Eastern Russia bomber squadrons unable to destroy radar and airbases in Asia owing to fierce air defence.

5:00 - 6:00 PM

North sea carrier bombers of African Union launch MIRVS at Leningrad. One gets through. 15 million dead. Large North sea submarine missile strike follows, Western-Central Russian cities levelled, including Moscow. Missile defence overwhelmed. Forty million dead.

Asia launches silo missile strike against Central Russia. Russian silos, though on full air defence, are unable to intercept 50% of warheads. Further 15 million Russians perish in bombardment.

Russian bombers switch targets from silos to cities. Further twenty million Asians die in wide ranging nuclear assault. Africa simultaneously launches submarine strike at Indian cities, further ten million Asians die.

6:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Steady stream of African bomber missiles at Central Russia. Fighter defence intercepts majority, but more cities burn.

Asian missiles fired at Africa and Central Europe. Asia left shattered by exchange, and surviving silos switch back to missile defence. Only one Indian ocean Asian submarine fleet now carries nuclear capability.

Stream of Russian bombers fail to destroy two central African silos, suffering heavy casualties. Assumption that African silos were still on ICBM mode clearly flawed.

7:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Entirity of Russian silos launch missiles, starting with Eastern silo and rolling steadily to the West. Missiles aimed at African cities. Bombers launch from pacific fleet to coincide with strike, but largely destroyed by zealous and vengeful Asian air defence. Bombers switch to bombing remaining Asian cities.

As missiles appear on African radar, Two Russian submarine fleets surface off East and West Africa. First salvo from each sub targeted at air defence, next four missiles targeted at cities. West African subs are quickly destroyed by roving Asian fleet, loosing no more than two missiles each. East African subs come under sustained fighter attack, but manage to get off between four and five missiles each. Russian submarine force beaten down to three surviving units. Retreats towards Australia, having spent warheads. African air defence overwhelmed by missile strike. Silos survive hits but majority of cities destroyed. Thirty million die.

Remaining African fleet of a destroyer and two carriers attempt to launch nuclear strike off Russian coast, are beaten off by air defence and silos.

Tokyo nuked again for the hell of it.

EXCHANGE STOPS.

Despite last strike, Africa loses the least population. However, Russia's combined assault against Asia and Africa means puts her in the lead in terms of megadeath inflicted. Asia fares poorly due to anhilation of population.

Further three billion die due to radiation poisoning and crop failure. Western world quarantines East. Global rise in birth defects and cancer. Global rise in celebrity benefit concerts. World reels from additional horror.

My Verdict:

Pod suffered from lag and would have done better with a stable connection, he really couldn't react well enough to my fleet. Sheepeh's getting shit-scary at this, he really had me worried. I won this one, but I have a hunch Sheepeh will win the next. 8)

Scores: (Roughtly)

Nervouspete: 141
Sheepeh: 98
Pod: - 29

Also - Phew! I'm not going to write an after-action report that big again. Someone else do it next time!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Bravo!

and an improvment on my beasty lag wouldn't have helped much; I still had to split my fleet 50 50 :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:40 
UltraMod

I'm looking forward to joining in next time. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:39 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

As I said to Pete at the time, this was my favourite multiplayer Defcon match. It was a pretty epic battle!

I love Pete's writeups as well ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 15:30 
UltraMod

Fucking hell, I'm shit at this game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 15:37 
I forgot about this - how vain

Pete's write up was grand.

I've a demo of this, and was tempted to get it at some point. Could a mac bezzie play a windows bezzie?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 16:01 
UltraMod

I'd presume so, as Sheepeh plays on Linux, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 16:05 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Yes. All the versions can play each other. I swap between a Windows one and a Linux one (the code gives you access to all versions y'see) and they all play together in perfect harmony. Except when Pod's about.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 16:11 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I listened to the latest PCgamer Podcast last night. They mentioned that Chris Delay doesn't play a lot of RTS type games, and that they had to tell him that he'd gotten the left/right clicking mechanism for Darwinia totally wrong and it would just confuse everyone.

It's a pity they didn't play Defcon before it was released :'(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 16:14 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

myoptika wrote:
Fucking hell, I'm shit at this game.

Myp, I'll be glad to host a server and let you test stuff without kicking your arse seven ways to Sunday like the computer will if you're new (I know, it happened to me!).

<edit> I should say that goes for any Bezzie who wants to try and learn it! </edit>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 16:27 

There is a linux version!?! Oh well now i have to get the game on principle.

Sorry for all the questions but did you download it sheepeh? I would prefer to buy the £5 amazon copy, then use the code in that to activate the mac version... as I guess they are not all on disk...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 16:31 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I bought it on Steam, and used the key from that to activate the Linux version as well. It checks on their server to activate every time you launch the game, so you can use your key as many times as you want.

You can download the Linux version at least, for absolutely nothing. It just won't play online until you put your code in. And you can buy one of those directly from them via email, or via Steam.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 16:33 

Cheers.

I'll have a look about. But I would like a disk version if I can get it.

I've got the mac demo at the mo.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 16:38 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

As far as I'm aware the CD is Windows only. You'll still have to download the Mac version. That's certainly the case for my boxed copies of Uplink and Darwinia.

<edit>

From the Introversion Website...

NOTE! THE DISC ONLY CONTAINS A WINDOWS VERSION. THE LINUX VERSION CAN ONLY BE DOWNLOADED!

</edit>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 17:22 
UltraMod

Cheers Sheeps. I've just managed to beat the computer in the tutorial, so I'm going to see how it goes in a proper game first.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 17:25 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I'm-a gonna grab me some pizza, so I won't be around until later on.

Get some practice in, and shall we have a BezzieGame around 10ish, if people can make it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 17:26 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Lave wrote:
Cheers.

I'll have a look about. But I would like a disk version if I can get it.

I've got the mac demo at the mo.

I bought it from their website so that I'd have a cd copy. Except after I bought it they let me download it from their website, so I did that instantly and never required the actual CD when it came a few days later.

In short: It's dead cheap, just buy it from their website. After all, you can already download the "demo" client. All you're doing after that is getting a cd-key, and you get the cd-key instantly when you buy the game (whichever way you buy it)...

so.. just buy it online? :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:56 
That Rev Chap

I found my key from when I pre-ordered it from their site. So I may be up for a game sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:57 
UltraMod

What's the maximum number of players, six? This could be immense(ly shit if I'm involved).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:58 
That Rev Chap

I'll easily be the worst player. I was schockingly bad the few times I played it when it first came out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:59 
UltraMod

I want to fight with you for that title.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:49 
PC Gamer

I've now got this working properly after some router-fiddling. I'll definitely be up for the next BezzieGame.

Great writeup, Pete. Call me Captain WussyPants, but I honestly found it a bit chilling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:50 
That Rev Chap

It was a good write up. I read it on the PSP while on the toilet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:08 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Six player at a time.

I'd certainly be happy to host a BezzieGame tonight, if you guys are up for it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:12 
Excellent Member

The Rev Owen wrote:
It was a good write up. I read it on the PSP while on the toilet.

Thankee all for the kind words. I have long aspired to be good toilet reading. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:18 
UltraMod

Tonight would be good. How long do online games usually last?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:19 
That Rev Chap

I don't think I can do tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:21 
Excellent Member

Think I can be on at some point tonight. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:21 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Depends. If I turn the timer off it lasts until everyone's fired their nukes. Otherwise I set a timer and the player "winning" at the end wins.

And there are different scoring sytems, maps and mods to change every other aspect, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:24 
Excellent Member

Sheepeh wrote:
And there are different scoring sytems, maps and mods to change every other aspect, too.

There's an excellent 'Christmas' mod where you launch presents at cities that flash up things like, "Bombay Presents Delivered - 4 Million Children Made Happy'. Your bombers are Father Christmas sleighs as well, and explosions are snowflakes and ICBM's presents. It is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:24 
UltraMod

Can you give me a rough estimate on 'depends'? I don't want to start at 9pm for example and be up to 2am, as it'd kill me the next morning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:28 
Excellent Member

myoptika wrote:
Can you give me a rough estimate on 'depends'? I don't want to start at 9pm for example and be up to 2am, as it'd kill me the next morning.

Well we can also agree not to use slow speed like we did for most of the game last time. That'd mean a game time between twenty and forty minutes tops. I think our last ultra-slow speed game lasted 90 minutes of white knuckle fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:31 
That Rev Chap

Oh, if we can have a game in half an hour to an hour I might be able to make it on after ten tonight for a game before bed, if I remember to download the client when I get home.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:45 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Yes, the speed of time is controlled ingame, it goes at the slowest speed chosen by a player. So I can limit it to "Stupidly mental fast" and a game will only take about 10 minutes.

I usually leave about a hour for a game, but the more people the more variable the game can be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:48 
PC Gamer

Tonight's not great for me unless it's early-ish (before about 9), I've got my NerdGroup over for RPG-based goodness. Wednesdays and Fridays are the windows in my hectic social schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:52 
UltraMod

90 minutes is fine, and preferable to half an hour as I will probably be quite bewildered at first and need to do things slowly.

I will be available from about 8:30, but can't really start any later than 9:30, as I'm always in bed by 11 these days. :(

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next