Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: DEFCON
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 0:19 
What-ho, chaps!

Quote:
I got a disconnect, and a timer counting up, when it reached 2 minutes, I realised it was not going to happen.

That's my entire DEFCON beta testing career, there. They kicked me out for 'inactivity'. :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 0:23 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I did get a message at one point "Mali A Has Reconnected", but then a few minutes after than it dropped again.

If anyone has any options, modes, or mods they'd like to see played, do feel free to suggest things. I've not tried many of the mods but you can, for instance, fight on a map of Azeroth, and other such things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:54 
UltraMod

You can also battle between England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:22 
Gogmagog

Sheepeh wrote:
I did get a message at one point "Mali A Has Reconnected", but then a few minutes after than it dropped again.

Damn. I did try to rejoin the game, but it appeared that nothing had happened. Ah well, today is a new day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:04 
That Rev Chap

For the last half hour of the game all I had to do was send out fighters and bombers in ones and twos. Didn't do much with them. Having an airbase up in Alaska seemed like a good idea to keep it safe in reserve - but it turned out the fighters from there couldn't actually reach anywhere useful at all, so just wandered around the eastern Pacific doing bugger all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:35 
PC Gamer

Aaaargh. Really sorry for the no-show, chaps. As I said, Mondays are a bit awkward for me in general. Sounds like I missed a good 'un.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:41 
That Rev Chap

I'm probably up for a game tonight if anyone else is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:42 
UltraMod

It depends if Pete decides he wants to play it all in real-time or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:51 
Excellent Member

Tchaw, be fair Myp!

Okay, okay. I swear I'll stick to 2x + in future. But I can't do tonight anyway, for it is 'meal & movie' night at my friends. I predict we'll be watching 'North by Northwest'.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:53 
UltraMod

I'm only joshing. I actually enjoyed it so much I couldn't get to sleep straight away after finishing (fnar).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:14 
That Rev Chap

I was thinking about the game a lot after I went to bed, wondering how I could have done things differently.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 
UltraMod

Me too. 'Play better' was the only one I could think of, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:36 
That Rev Chap

I wish I could have worked out how I could have saved my navy. Maybe having one big force in either the Pacific or Atlantic, rather than a split.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:26 
UltraMod

Just an idea, but would anyone be interested in a behemoth 'office-mode' game on a Sunday afternoon at some point? It would take about six hours, but obviously you can go off and do other things while it's playing.

It might be interesting, or a pile of poo...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:32 
That Rev Chap

Could be interested, but I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to tear myself away from the screen just in case I was needed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:33 
UltraMod

You get notifications when something happens. I'm not sure if it makes a sound or not, though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:54 
PC Gamer

Aaaaargh, I'm at my brother's wedding this weekend so I'm out. The world is conspiring to keep me from apocalyptic fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:57 
UltraMod

I didn't say this weekend, necessarily. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:35 
UltraMod

It might also be fun to do it in 'Diplomacy Mode' where we all start as one big alliance. I can imagine that having high-larious consequences.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 18:56 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

*BUMPITY*

In respect of our Multiplayer Bezzie Gaming Wanting Chum, I suggest we have a game of DEFCON soon.

I *think* I can book the PC here most nights after 7:30 if I have a little bit of notice. I should also be able to set up a host on this PC, too.

What nights would people prefer to play?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 19:16 
lazy eye patch

Sheepeh wrote:
In respect of our Multiplayer Bezzie Gaming Wanting Chum, I suggest we have a game of DEFCON soon.

I *think* I can book the PC here most nights after 7:30 if I have a little bit of notice. I should also be able to set up a host on this PC, too.

What nights would people prefer to play?

For me, any night after 7.30 is doable. Heh.

I should probably go and actually play Defcon more than twice, and maybe try it in multiplayer too, shouldn't it? :o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 19:53 
That Rev Chap

Tuesday'd be good for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:07 
UltraMod

NervousPete, Rev Owen: fancy a game of this sometime very soon?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:16 
That Rev Chap

Yes. Have to check when I'm available.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:55 
PC Gamer

I'd be up for this sometime too, assuming schedule allows.

Shall we play a game?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 13:22 
Excellent Member

Ooogh. Yes, let's play a game! I'm free anytime tonight after 8:30 'cepting when Grim wants his Dawn of War.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 13:22 
UltraMod

I'm playing Left 4 Dead tonight, unfortunately. Tomorrow or Sunday?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 0:18 
Excellent Member

I've just been playing Defcon with cookie. He learns fast! He owned my surface fleets with nukes and kept a nasty sub-launch surprise off New York.

Fortunately my time-on-target reply of subs, land based bombers, and ICBM nukes swung it back for me. Still, hairier game than I expected against a Defcon rookie! Bravo, Cookie!

My pithy retort to his bolshy assault:

Attachment:
defconcookie.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 0:23 
Gogmagog

Pete, consider a gauntlet thrown down
tomorrow or friday. See you in space.

Cookie. Friday or tomorrow. See you in space.

No accelerated time and atuff. Let's cold war it.

Or make it a thing. A beex thing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 0:48 

Pete, I would have so won if my Internet hadn't broken.
Also, MaliA I haven't actually bought it yet, so can only play against one player online just now. But I'll see about buying it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 
Excellent Member

COOKIE vs. NERVOUSPETE TITLE FIGHT

After escalating tensions over the past nine days, African Conglomerate and American Union fleets square off in the mid-Atlantic. African President Mobutu Cookie authorises armed recon flights. When American fighters attempt a show of force to intimidate the recon flight into retreating, several African pilots panic and open fire with amram missiles, downing nine US jets.

The war begins.

A fleet of African battleships steams on a Northern course towards the American fleet, but suffer heavy losses from the combined firepower of two battleship fleets operating under fighter cover. African fighter cover proves tardy, and the battleships take a pounding. Within a day ten capital ships are sunk along with their pickets, for a combined loss of 15,000 men. America exults.

But not for long, though the American fleet are mixing with the African carriers now with some success, land base bomber and fighter cover approaches from the Western seaboard of Africa, and several battleships are lost. Still, the American navy steams south. Harpoon missiles, bombers and destroyer tomohawks sink the African carrier fleet and attendent picket, whilst losing only a few ships. African casualties now number forty thousand. The greatest sea battle in history is almost over. The only scores Africa has chalked up thus far beyond two US carriers and a few destroyers is three nuclear submarines they caught headed south.

President Mobutu Cookie is distraught. With America ruling the waves his entire coastline is fatally exposed to attack. He presses his defence minister for the nuclear option. The codes are presented, the briefcase opened and the command transmitted. Three African submarines in the North Atlantic and land based African bombers fire a dozen nukes into the tight mass of American shipping. The American admirals, incredulous at the nuclear threat bearing down on them, wishfully believing them to be conventional missiles, react too slowly.

At eleven forty-five on the 30th October the IAEA detects a rolling detonation of twelve megatons in the Atlantic ocean. Fifty thousand American naval personal are killed within two hours.

Panic within American cities. Global stockmarket collapses. Non-combatant nations declare armed neutrality and beg the two sides to order an immediate ceasefire. America, horrified at this nuclear escalation, embark on a risky plan to neutralise the early warning systems and damage the first strike capability of Africa by sending a wave of six bombers from the mainland, alongside ten bombers still in the air near the irradiated nautical graveyard of the American fleets. MIRV missiles are fired which burst apart near the target to disgourge 4 smaller 250 kiloton warheads. These hit the target with the brute but now surgical force of a one megaton bomb. One African radar installation is destroyed, along with a missile silo. But the bombers suffer dearly from the rest of the defences. Ten are shot down, the remaining few not already locked in loose their missiles at a few African coast cities housing military ports - their secondary targets - and scoot for home. Only two make it back, whilst two African ports burn.

Enraged, Mobutu orders a complete ICBM strike against America. The world watches in horror as launches are detected up and down the African continent. The sky fills with the contrails of over thirty ICBM's which arc over Greenland. The interceptors housed inside the American silos desperately attempt to stem the onslaught. The question is whether Mobutu is after military targets or the cities.

He is after the cities. Boston lights up first, followed by New York, Chicago, Philadelphia. In one night thirty million Americans perish. A bomber wave follows, but American fighters blunt the attack, and only a few more cities are scorched.

Now is the time for the counterattack, while the silos are finishing their launch patterns and are vulnerable. President Peter 'Nervous' Regan fires back with a mass launch of every bomber than can fly. They rumble over the burning cities of the Eastern seaboard, weaving between the rising mushroom clouds. Occasionally bomber pilots quickly draw the blinds as nearby nuclear strikes threaten to burn their retinas. Two hours later they approach the African coast over Libya and Chad. At the same time, ignoring the remaining few nukes inbound, President Peter Regan launches ICBMs from all his nuclear silos, targeting all cities barring some of the extreme southerly areas. As the missiles are still midway over the Atlantic, the bombers begin their attack. But they have ill luck. They take out a few cities, but by now the African silos have switched back to AA defence and they take a terrible toll on the attackers, who stream in single file like ducks to the slaughter.

Mobutu, still unaware of the scope of the ICMB threat facing him, grins at the success of his defence. But with the radar in Tunisia gone he has no idea that overhead ICBM's are entering his airspace. He devotes his time to ordering a fresh bomber offensive against the Southern states. Having given his orders, he is suddenly horrified by the scream of a klaxon and a massive projection appearing on his bunker screens. ICBM's have entered his radar space, and though his silos are accounting for a quarter of the incoming ordnance, too many are getting through. Worst yet, submarine fleet launches are detected off Madagascar. He looks to his strike against the Southern states. Atlanta and Mobile burn, but fighters took too many bombers down. He decides to play his last hand.

President Peter Regan, feeling assured that in the general battle the few submarine kill confirmations he notched up represented their entire fleet, feels confident that his nuclear nightmare is over. He is wrong. ICBM's thrust out of the sea and to his horror take out the Mid West. He scrambles bombers and fighters, and the subs are quickly sunk, but now only the East coast of America remains untouched. It is to his cold relief then, that at this very moment the combined missiles of his ICBM launch and his nine submarine fleet destroy in five hours the proud African nation, leaving only one city in Madagascar intact.

The great burn has ended with the lives of over six hundred million dead or dying, three quarters African, including Mobutu Cookie and his staff, who perished when their bunker was hit, before they even got to see their submarines complete their strike. Victorious, President Peter Regan slips the Glenn Campbell Witcheta Lineman '45 from its sleeve and listens to the beautiful crooning tale of a Mid West powerline repairman. Then he puts a gun in his mouth and pulls the trigger.

WAR! HURGH! WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?

Defcon fun, that's what.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED, MALIA!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 

NervousPete wrote:
COOKIE vs. NERVOUSPETE TITLE FIGHT
-Snip-

That, is awesome. Mush have took you ages write all that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:50 
Gogmagog

Superb write up, sir.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 17:56 

Okay.... I think I have the full version now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 17:59 
Gogmagog

Proabbly not tonight. Early start in work and stuff. Soz.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 18:50 
Excellent Member

It being my first night of nanowrimo, not for me either. Got story writing to do!

Weekend would be best, I reckon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 23:29 

So.... Who's up for a game of this, tomorrow night?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 23:50 
Gogmagog

Cookie197 wrote:

I'm free, I think.

I know I own the game and that it works, so I'll check at about half four tomorrow afternoon and pass on details of who i am as I can't recall how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 17:53 

MaliA wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:

I'm free, I think.

I know I own the game and that it works, so I'll check at about half four tomorrow afternoon and pass on details of who i am as I can't recall how it works.

Do you have it on Steam, or have you got the stand-alone one?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 17:54 
Gogmagog

Stand alone. I"ll check it out after i've "bought food" and let you know. I'm 99% sure it installed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:02 

Gies a shout when this is happening, plz.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:08 
Gogmagog

I'm totally buying food now, maybe later on?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:09 

Wullie wrote:

I wouldn't think of you as the type to have this game. :DD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:11 
Excellent Member

Can't play tonight, I'm afraid. But have fun, y'all!

Irritatingly, Defcon never remembers my validation code so I have to paste it in each time I load up. Same with player name. Anyone else get that problem?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:12 

Cookie197 wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Why?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:14 

NervousPete wrote:
Can't play tonight, I'm afraid. But have fun, y'all!

Irritatingly, Defcon never remembers my validation code so I have to paste it in each time I load up. Same with player name. Anyone else get that problem?
I did have. I think I solved it by running it as admin (although that might have been on the netbook wi' linux on it, it was yonks ago :shrug: )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:23 

Wullie wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Why?

I have no idea. :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:50 

Cookie197 wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Why?
:DD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 19:17 

Wullie wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Why?
:DD

Are you on steam or stand-alone?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 19:31 

SA.

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next