Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Emulation on the iphone
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:06 

The screen responds perfectly to the rest of my presses, it's just on those three buttons that it doesn't like playing ball.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 13:16 
Where are you?

Mimi wrote:
I have never understood gaming on mobile telephones in general.

The difference with iPhone is that the device is more powerful than the consoles you cited, and also has a whopping great, high-quality screen. I interviewed the guys who did Super Monkey Ball, and they said that while they initially approached the game like a typical mobile outing, they rapidly realised that was a bad idea and switched to creating a fairly normal (if truncated) console game.

I guess what Apple's realised is that with iPhone and iPod touch, it has a device that's powerful, easy to develop for and easy to get affordable stuff on to. The gaming space is the one that's really exploded, thanks to the DS, and if Apple can cunningly position itself alongside, it could benefit. After all, while I agree that most people think like you—"I can't imagine any situation where I'd think to myself 'ooh, I fancy playing a game now' whilst in transit when I didn't have my DS"—what if your iPod was capable of playing games just as good as those on your DS?

The problem currently, obviously, is the limitations forced by iPhone/iPod touch's hardware, meaning it's neither a truly portable gaming device half the time (try playing tilt games while on public transport) nor a device capable of a wide enough range of games (Ms. Pac-Man on iPhone is hateful, for example).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 13:24 
baron of techno

Yup, I'd be a prime candidate for iPhone games - I did have a DS but I so rarely could be bothered to charge it up and take it with me that it never got used. The iPhone is always in my pocket, and I often have a quick game of tetris or something if I'm bored and out of wifi range..
It's *not* the same as playing games on a phone, which I agree is fairly lame.
The lack of hardware buttons is the main drawback but I'm pretty sure someone will bring out a standardised little dpad addon very soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 13:38 
Where are you?

kalmar wrote:
I'm pretty sure someone will bring out a standardised little dpad addon very soon.

The problem with this is official support from Apple. Only jailbroken apps have access to the dock connector. Unless Apple relents on that, there won't ever be a nifty little controller from the likes of Belkin.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:50 
Participant in dramatic games

Mimi wrote:
when do you use your phone for gaming, and, honestly, how often do you think you'll actually play the games on it?

1. on the toilet.
2. when you don't take luggage on the train (going to a soccer match)
3. when in a boring conference, as it is aceptable then to check you msgs, so you can play a game as well, but not acceptable to take a ds
4. when your wife is watching telly, and your phone is closer by.
5. when your 1,5 year old is taking a trip through the neighborhood and your walking behind him..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:20 

Temper, the PC Engine emulator wins at the end.. the pc engine has the perfect resolution and clear graphics for the iphones screen, furthermore, the shmups really fit short iphone play.. (2 mins mode in soldier blade e.g.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:34 

Installed psx4iphone now, with raidenDX, a prestation tha tit works, but too slow to have any fun

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]