MR EXCELLENT FACE

I can only dream, Grim..., I can only dream :(

Post subject: Re: Oh dear
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:06 
Sleepyhead

kalmar wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
CUS wrote:
I once misread the deadline for an important assignment as Thursday 18/05 when in fact it was Tuesday 16/05. I realised this on the Wednesday, GNGGH.

I did the exact same thing, but with a Quantum Mechanics exam at University.

Maybe you read it correctly, but the date changed because you observed it.

Good answer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:28 

Grim... wrote:
I avoided all of this be being a proper fucking grafter when I left school and not some ponce who goes to some posh "university". I worked on the roads, don't you know, etc.

I see your "working on the roads" and raise you a "living on Teesside and attending the University of Teesside".

I think I win.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:21 
I forgot about this - how vain

Curiosity wrote:
CUS wrote:
I once misread the deadline for an important assignment as Thursday 18/05 when in fact it was Tuesday 16/05. I realised this on the Wednesday, GNGGH.

I did the exact same thing, but with a Quantum Mechanics exam at University.

Oops.

I think I missed the same exam, you knew where it was, I knew when it was, if only we could have known both!

Ba-ba-boom... tish!

(Sorry)

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:23 
making out to faces of death

Up the Boro!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 16:49 
What-ho, chaps!

How'd it go, Jonarobajonno?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 16:54 
Disingenuous

As there seems to be a fair few past masters in the art leaving everything to the last minute on here, does this workload seem doable in 4/5 weeks?

15 second hand drawn cell animation.
25 second xsi computer animation.
1 minute script+concept art+storyboard+animatic
2 x A3 figure drawing
700 word film review

So yeah, doable?Or am i being hopelssly optimistic and destined to be shown the door by the lovely people at Teesside Uni?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 16:55 
What-ho, chaps!

I'd be stuffed if I had to do just one of those things in 4/5 weeks.

Gogmagog

You're fucked. Come and fix my floorboards instead.

Sleepyhead

hollocks wrote:
As there seems to be a fair few past masters in the art leaving everything to the last minute on here, does this workload seem doable in 4/5 weeks?

15 second hand drawn cell animation.
25 second xsi computer animation.
1 minute script+concept art+storyboard+animatic
2 x A3 figure drawing
700 word film review

So yeah, doable?Or am i being hopelssly optimistic and destined to be shown the door by the lovely people at Teesside Uni?

I have no idea about any other than the review, which you should hopefully be able to knock out in an hour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 17:01 

mrbogus wrote:
jonarob wrote:
Never done it, but I did once spend two weeks making a presentation only to have my PC delete its entire hard drive when I tried to back the file up to a CD the night before I was due to present it. Had to spend all night recreating it. And re-installing bloody Windows.
With a week to go before my undergrad dissertation was due in, and almost no progress made to date, I decided to spend the afternoon reflashing my BIOS to a beta grade one that promised greater performance in Half-Life. It didn't, and when I flashed back to the production one, it killed the motherboard stone dead. I had to swap the mobo out of my only other running system, a tiny little Shuttle one, into my enormous full tower case and work on that. Somewhere I have pics of the motherboard totally lost in the upper corner of the case.

Then, with hours to go and scrambling to get it printed and bound, I accidentally deleted the entire thing when I slipped with the command prompt, and then watched in horror as the print job in progress then crashed. Thinking a bit quick I snagged the PDF files from out of the printer queue before the system cleaned the print job up, reprinted, and calmly strolled into college nearly half an hour late, only to join the fifty people long queue for submission. I was quite pleased with myself for that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 17:03 
What-ho, chaps!

Imagine if everybody had a similar hectic tale of misfortune at the same time! You could edit clips of them together and have a really cool short film.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 17:05 
Paws for thought

richardgaywood wrote:
mrbogus wrote:
jonarob wrote:
Never done it, but I did once spend two weeks making a presentation only to have my PC delete its entire hard drive when I tried to back the file up to a CD the night before I was due to present it. Had to spend all night recreating it. And re-installing bloody Windows.
With a week to go before my undergrad dissertation was due in, and almost no progress made to date, I decided to spend the afternoon reflashing my BIOS to a beta grade one that promised greater performance in Half-Life. It didn't, and when I flashed back to the production one, it killed the motherboard stone dead. I had to swap the mobo out of my only other running system, a tiny little Shuttle one, into my enormous full tower case and work on that. Somewhere I have pics of the motherboard totally lost in the upper corner of the case.

Then, with hours to go and scrambling to get it printed and bound, I accidentally deleted the entire thing when I slipped with the command prompt, and then watched in horror as the print job in progress then crashed. Thinking a bit quick I snagged the PDF files from out of the printer queue before the system cleaned the print job up, reprinted, and calmly strolled into college nearly half an hour late, only to join the fifty people long queue for submission. I was quite pleased with myself for that.

This sounds remarkably like my undergrad projects. Except power cuts were to blame for my issues. (Say goodbye to 3 hours of work 1 hour before deadline? Why, thank you. I do work well before deadlines after that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 17:39 

Hey I didn't say that! I think you fluffed the quote up, Davey boy!

Also, my essay turned out shite. Obviously I won't know for certain for a while, but it's definitely shite.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 18:04 
Paws for thought

It's just a direct quote, I didn't alter it at all. Someone else must have fluffed it up earlier.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 18:06 

Musta been me. Sorry.

As for MrD's idea of a compilation of video short fuckuppery incidents, surely it should be set to the Benny Hill music?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 21:45 
Isn't that lovely?

I started Uni in October 1993, (M Sci in Physcis at Imperial College - yes look impressed the 2nd "hardest" degreee in the UK!) and took my 2nd year exams in May/June 1995. On July the 9th I Flew to America for an 8 week Holiday with some friends. I think I phoned my parents on the 11th of July and then again on the 1st of September. I found out that I had to do a retake on Monday the 4th of Septemeber at 09:00. My Flight was due to land at Heathrow Airport at about 09:30 on Monday the 4th September!

Needless to say I dropped out and got a job instead!

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 23:13 
What-ho, chaps!

richardgaywood wrote:
Musta been me. Sorry.

As for MrD's idea of a compilation of video short fuckuppery incidents, surely it should be set to the Benny Hill music?

No way, you'd do it a bit more serious than Benny Hill. You'd do it like a sequel to Ferris Bueller. You're all rushing about finding bits of paper and stuff, one of you is trying to staple it together by pushing it under the leg of a table and jumping on it, somebody else is fighting with their dog to get some pages back... soon you're all running, skateboarding, driving or hopping with one shoe on toward the school.

You all meet up at the school gates when suddenly.

I'VE GOT YOU NOW, MISTER GAYWOOD.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 23:16 
lazy eye patch

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
I started Uni in October 1993, (M Sci in Physcis at Imperial College - yes look impressed the 2nd "hardest" degreee in the UK!) and took my 2nd year exams in May/June 1995. On July the 9th I Flew to America for an 8 week Holiday with some friends. I think I phoned my parents on the 11th of July and then again on the 1st of September. I found out that I had to do a retake on Monday the 4th of Septemeber at 09:00. My Flight was due to land at Heathrow Airport at about 09:30 on Monday the 4th September!

Needless to say I had the last laugh!

Post-breakdown-FTFY

edit: do you 'do' physics, Malc?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 23:44 
Isn't that lovely?

CUS wrote:
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:

Needless to say I had the last laugh!

Post-breakdown-FTFY

Nah, I've done lots of things since then (including: cyberhost, IT Manager, Customer Service grunt, "Star" of S.E. Asian TV and 90's UK Satelite TV, Interent Gaming Host) but nothing really to do with Physics.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 23:44 

Quote:

Can't speak for Malc, but I 'do' psychics.

They always see me coming.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 23:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
"Star" of S.E. Asian TV and 90's UK Satelite TV

I DEMAND VIDEO PROOF!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 23:48 
Isn't that lovely?

Grim... wrote:
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
"Star" of S.E. Asian TV and 90's UK Satelite TV

I DEMAND VIDEO PROOF!

I don't have it, sorry.

NOW TV went bust before they could send me the tape (That's the S.E. Asia bit) and I never got the tape of my slot on "Chips with everything" on ".tv" (that's the 90's UK satelite tv bit)

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 19:45 
Best
Board Mother

I can identify with this. I have got myself a 2 week extention on my dissertation (due to illness). I need to have a copy of it to my supervisor by Tuesday morning, but I really can't seem to get into it. :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 20:36 

jonarob wrote:
I'm becoming a little tired with the MA thing, though. It's a load of bollocks and not at all what I'm interested in. I don't know why I did it. But it cost me 4 grand, so I have to see it out. BAH!

Thanks for the moral support and anecdotes, folks!

I got tired of the MA thing, but did quit, after the first semester. Luckily my dad helped out with the fees for that part. It was a difficult decision to make at the time, but now I know it was for the best.

And I always did essays/assignments at the last minute. On the ones where I didn't, I tended to get lower grades. My sis is still doing the same thing with her paid-for OU degree, and gets decent grades each time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 23:19 

I think I went to the harshest university in the UK - even getting hospitalised (like, just going into childbirth with major complication, as one example I knew of) didn't get students extensions, or dispensation for not taking exams. I didn't really enjoy the whole experience really, as it felt like being on a tightrope with no safety net. Had to concentrate so much on not fucking up, on not making a single misstep that'd ruin everything, that I couldn't relax and have fun during term time...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Someone I know takes his laundry to his mum's house to get her to do it. He is 21 (possibly slightly older, in fact, I don't know him that well).

I really don't get it, both on her part (my mum would, quite rightly, laugh in my face, and possibly take a swig of gin just for the effect if I tried this), and on his. Doing the washing is easy. It's even easier and less boring than most housework. It's certainly preferable to throwing your dignity in the hole because you can't work a box of powder and a dial.

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next