Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Formula 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:39 

That's not their choice, it's the FIA's and it's already ruled out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:51 
Excellent Painter

Myfinger wrote:
Dudley wrote:
That said, his F1 blog is excellent. When he's got time to think he's excellent, which perhaps explains why he was very good in the pitlane back in the day.

I have to admit to having never read it, as his shouting just makes me mad. He seemed to exist solely to talk rubbish so that Brundle could sigh and correct him. I suppose in that respect he has his uses.

I'd like to say, just for some perspective, that his blog was "good", occasionally "very good" but it was never "excellent". It just appeared that way compared to the annoying stats driven smugness that was his commentary. That's assuming he actually wrote the damn thing, but it's true, he was a reasonably good writer and a shockingly bad on more ways than I care to count commentator because it was deeply apparent that though he loved F1 he simply didn't understand in any shape or form what it meant to be a F1 driver in F1 today - he used to come out with some hand bitingly inept and naive observations which just made him appear the worst kind of bar stool bore with a mike. I won't miss him, Steve Rider and Rider's umbrella/mike stand (Blundell) one bit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:03 

I don't mean the one on the ITV site.

I mean his real one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 0:23 
Paws for thought

I agree with Dudley. Lots.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:01 
Engorged Member

Dudley wrote:
I don't mean the one on the ITV site.

I mean his real one.

Mr Dave wrote:
I agree with Dudley. Lots.

Well, no disrespect guys, but he can keep his blog and you can keep reading and enjoying it. Maybe he'll get a column in the national press off the back of this.

I'm just glad he's off my TV.

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 13:42 
Gogmagog

myoptika wrote:
You would've made the same joke.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by this. I tried to get to the Formula Renault weekend they had last year, and had to turn around halfway there as the traffic was fucking mental.

When i went to to see the touring cars at Silverstone, the traffic was fucking mental as well. SO I overtook the 5 miles of traffic jam, and went to the front of the queue.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 0:11 

Well F1's insistence they didn't need independents has finally come home to roost.

Honda are about to announce their exit, effective immediately, Toyota have admitted their looking at doing the same.

We'll quite likely lose STR at the end of next year if nothing changes, Force India is at the whim of a bloke whose money mostly comes from an airline and a country with its own issues right now. Red Bull is at the whim of a bloke and people's insistence on paying £1 a can for pop, Williams are not in the best shape and are owned by a couple of old blokes, Renault have pulled out before and most of their budget is coming from a bank, BMW have large financial sponsors and make expensive end vehicles....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:06 
making out to faces of death

Well, F1 would be happy to field nothing but two Ferraris and four no-hopers, as we've seen before. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:41 

AceAceBaby wrote:
Well, F1 would be happy to field nothing but two Ferraris and four no-hopers, as we've seen before. :)

:D

Hopefully this pushes them to allow customer chassis, force all manufacturer teams to sell at least one set of last years to a team for an FIA set price and stop rapid rule changes in the name of cost cutting when everyone knows the one thing that pushes up costs is rule changes.

The way to cut costs is not to stifle innovation, like they're trying to do, but to simply force that innovation to be passed down, benefiting the grid and society but still allowing a moment of inspiration in a single years design to win a championship.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 19:33 
Paws for thought

Dream all you like, but you know that Mr Spanky will just go off on another power trip and change the rules to something worse than what was before. And then change them again in a years time just for kicks.

Just wish he'd stop trying to make all the teams 'equal'.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 20:21 

Indeed, F1 as a meritocracy is becoming more and more remote.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 23:32 

Ok, here's the patented Dudley plan.

Customer cars are allowed.

Any constructor must sell a complete year old package to at least 1 other team if requested, at an FIA mandated price.

Teams are allowed to enter 1- as many cars as they damn well wish.

Teams may enter part time, for as little as 1 race if they wish, full time teams are also allowed wildcard entries.

Part time teams do not get TV money, Full time customer teams DO get a baseline amount but will not score Constructor's points. While customers will get a fair share this is designed to encourage proper constructors.

26 cars will be allowed to start races, an infinate number of entries will be allowed but any proper constructor will be guaranteed a starting spot for its top 2 cars (which they can choose if they've entered more). For instance if this was implemented for 2009, the 16 real constructor entries expected would be guaranteed 16 of the 26 grid slots (but not the top 16) whereas STR and any wildcard entries would have to qualify on time if too many turn up.

Part time and 3rd car entries can run any damn livery they like. If Ferrari can get a cars budget from Coca Cola for a US grand prix then they can run it. If Carlin can put together budget from Sky TV to run a customer Williams and a British driver at that round only then they're welcome.

Points extended downwards, ideally to 20th place out of 26. Everyone will have something to race for. The requirement to do 90% to score points will remain. There may need to be some form of qualifying pace requirement, maybe 107% in Q1.

--

This way Constructors can remain constructors. There are both sporting and financial benefits to doing so. With the obligation only to supply year old machinery it'll be rare for too many customer machines to win but they will be pretty competitive at times and a bizarre race will see them do at least as well as Aguri were doing in 2007. With a baseline amount of TV money if they do full time or the ability to do only the races they can afford if they have to be part timers, running a customer team will be financially viable and if we get to the stage of pre-qualifying, TV rights for that session will be offered for free if the main broadcaster does not wish to show it so everyone gets sponsorship exposure.

Part time entries will get more companies into F1, local teams may be able to organise deals to run a customer car at one race only, with local sponsors for whom worldwide exposure could be prohibitively expensive. A GP2 team could do so at the end of the season on behalf of one of their drivers who wants to make a bid for a proper drive. Who wouldn't have liked to see an ISport run McLaren driven by Bruno Senna sat somewhere in midgrid back in Brazil this year?

It'd benefit venues too, How many tickets could Fuji have sold on the back of throwing some money at DAMS to run Kobayashi and Satooooooo in a couple of 07 Toyotas at the Japanese Grand Prix this year?

It allows teams to evaluate drivers better. McLaren were pretty sure they wanted Lewis but how much easier would it have been and how much would every fan have loved to see a 3rd McLaren at Silverstone in 2006 with him making his debut on home soil? Less pressure for a home driver, he knows the circuit and he's in a year old car so limited expectation. He gets to acclimatise, the team can give their new guy valuable experience. How excellent would it be in 2009 if DC returned one last time at Silverstone in a Wings Of Life liveried Red Bull to right the wrongs of his exit in Brazil and to see the old circuit off? How much publicity could you generate if the BBC followed him every inch of the way for a documentary shown outside the race program?

The year old clause means that while it's still of benefit to make your own car you're not keeping anything secret too long, Prodrive will have your McLaren soon enough. One moment of tech genius can still win a championship but it won't keep you ahead forever. This squashes the field naturally but will also reduce budgets the proper way, by making spending more an exercise in diminishing returns. Yes you've got twice what Renault spend, but that'll earn you a lot less on them than it did previously. You'll never stop Ferrari spending half a billion but you can certainly stop it mattering as much without ever losing the tech credentials of Formula one.

Constructors benefit, Customer Teams benefit, Tracks benefit, Countries benefit, Spectators get larger, more fluid grids and new excitement and intrigue at every round and more importantly no-one has to freeze development on a fucking thing. F1 can remain the high tech series it should be but also remain the spectacle we'd love it to be.

--

But no they'll probably freeze development on the driver's fucking water bottles instead.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 14:47 
Unpossible!

Excellent, well thought-out plan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 16:40 
Obsolete

that plan will never work! it's way too sensible

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 15:17 
Paws for thought

Well: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 779168.stm

Quote:
And from 2010 there will be a ban on refuelling

Yay!

Quote:
and, subject to market research, Grand Prix distances could be shortened

Boo!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 15:54 
Unpossible!

christ, that's a lot of regulations. Why don't they just give them all a '91 Nova and let them mod it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 23:33 

Quote:
The independent teams will use engines costing less than £4.5m per season from 2009, supplied by an independent supplier or a manufacturer backed by guarantees of continuity.

This would be excellent news if we still had any independant teams. As it is we have only Williams that isn't a manufacturer or a billionaire's plaything.

They've also missed that the rev limiter is a massive overtaking issue, there's very few better ways to stop slipstreaming working in F1 than a rev limiter.

Still, the most foul of the new regs have been chucked out thankfully.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 

They have the rev limiter problem already, although I think some teams tuning for speed, do gear the cars for overtaking. Anyway, there's always under braking, or just getting a better run out of the previous turn to give a chance to overtake, it just reduces the chance of straight draft passing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 15:40 

Dudley wrote:
Any constructor must sell a complete year old package to at least 1 other team if requested, at an FIA mandated price.

Am I being listened to?

Over in MotoGP, the regulations for their new "Moto2" class to replace the 250ccs in 2010 have been announced.

And look what's there?

Quote:
The highlights include a claiming clause whereby any competitor can 'claim' an opponent's engine after a race.

The cost of claiming another engine is €20,000, with the rule included in order to dissuade teams spending more than that figure on their motor. This rule has already proved a success when used in American racing.

In many ways, MotoGP is a lot like what I'm asking for in F1 already. For instance 125cc team Onde 2000 have found the cash to enter a single, privately run Ducati. It'll be an awesome entry that'll be able to occasionally challenge the big boys. If they'd had to run 2, or even build their own bike they'd never have been able to do it.

Here's how it actually reads in the regs.

Quote:
The engine (excluding exhaust, throttle bodies and ECU) used in a race is available to be purchased by another competitor in the same race for a fixed price of €20,000 (Euro). Such purchase request must be made in writing to Race Direction within the protest period, that is within 60 minutes after the official end of the race.

The transaction and delivery will be completed immediately at the end of the 60 minute protest period and will be underwritten by IRTA. Teams refusing to sell when presented with a valid request will be disqualified

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 19:44 
Excellent Member

Ecclestone: We "bought" Ferraris loyalty

Quote:
"Ferrari get so much more money than everyone else. They know exactly what they get, they are not that stupid, although they are not that bright, either. They get about $80 million (about £54 million) more. When they win the Constructors' Championship, which they did this year, they got $80 million more than if McLaren had won it.

"They were the only team that broke ranks with the other manufacturers - why did they break ranks?

"That's where the $80 million comes in. We 'bought' Ferrari. We 'bought' Ferrari's loyalty. Our deal with Ferrari was that we 'bought' them so they would not go to the others."

Original article

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 20:31 

For what it's worth, this is not news to anyone that follows F1 remotely closely.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 21:02 
Excellent Member

Its the "other general help" bit that is most interesting.

$80 million is probably the entire budget for a team at the lower reaches of the grid.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 21:20 

It would have run Minardi for both 2004 and 2005, with some change.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 22:25 
Paws for thought

Estimated budgets this year:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/11/09/4 ... t-in-2008/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 15:34 

I'm not sure about the look of the rear wing on the 2009 Ferrari (I guess all the new cars will look similar)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7812490.stm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 15:42 
UltraMod

Yeah, they are odd-looking, but I expect we'll get used to them quickly enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 15:48 

AceAceBaby wrote:
I'm not sure about the look of the rear wing on the 2009 Ferrari (I guess all the new cars will look similar)

Very, the rear wing shape is largely regulation defined, they'll all be narrower and taller, just as the front is much wider and flatter and the lucky dip bag of wings is gone from the sides.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 18:04 
Excellent Painter

AceAceBaby wrote:

Those mirrors look weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 18:45 

Big Shot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 18:45 
UltraMod

They're not too bad from that angle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 18:47 

And a comparison showing just how less busy it is than the F1 08...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 18:52 
UltraMod

They need to take that number 1 off the front. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 20:27 

myp wrote:
They need to take that number 1 off the front. ;)

That's a picture from the launch of last year's car...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 21:46 

I dunno... That narrow rear wing seems to ruin the balance of the car shape for me. Fussy bits aside, the overall dimensions of the 2008 car are much more aesthetically pleasing. The 2009 seems front heavy now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 23:50 

Deliberate though, the smaller rear should create less turbulence, the large front shouldn't care and so, theoretically, they should be able to follow a little closer, which is a good portion of the reason overtaking is so hard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 23:55 

OK, I have some uber res images of said car.

http://files.enterspace.co.uk/beex/F1/f60launch.rar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 0:10 
UltraMod

It's a shame that we keep on having to look at the *spit* Ferrari, though. The shape is growing on me, already.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 0:16 

Well, Toyota is Thursday and McLaren Friday so not long to wait.

After that Williams and Renault are Monday, BMW Tuesday, Red Bull is Feb 9th, Force India we won't see till March thanks to them having to wait on the McLaren deal, Honda will wait on a buyer and Toro Rosso will of course be the Red Bull with a better paint job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:24 
Comfortably Dumb

myp wrote:
It's a shame that we keep on having to look at the *spit* Ferrari, though. The shape is growing on me, already.

Still no guns though. :( Maybe next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 15:42 
Can you dig it?

Dudley wrote:
And a comparison showing just how less busy it is than the F1 08...

When I glanced briefly at those images I thought how similar it seemed to starting a shooting game with a weedy craft (2009 cars appearance) and then as it gets powered up it becomes chunkier with more wings and larger aggressive appendages and vents and bits.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 15:49 
UltraMod

Crackdown springs to mind, with the vehicles upgrading.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 13:10 
UltraMod

Could Ecclestone be any more partisan? I would've thought someone in his position should be a bit more impartial than this.

Cunt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:14 

Bumping this up
Hamilton fastest in Free Practice 3
Hoping for anything but a Red Bull on pole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:22 
UltraMod

Monza today. McLaren looking good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 21:16 

McLaren did look good but I don't think button could do anything about Alonso, maybe if they had waited & let Alonso come in for pits first Button could have built up a lead & done a Vettel & pit later in the race. Make the championship tighter for the last 5 races.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 21:20 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I wish I has space to get a steering wheel for this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 21:24 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I wish I has space to get a steering wheel for this.

I like the setup Hamilton had in the show build up - would love that in my living room :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:46 
Excellent Member

Ferrari is my favorite car for the formula 1 racing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:47 
Hibernating Druid

What is your second favouritest?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 13:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That Ferrari is a few seasons old now, though.

Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next