Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Formula 1
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 18:10 
Excellent Painter

inters are go

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 20:02 

Fucking.

Hell.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 20:12 
Gogmagog

Crikey.

Well, I'm sure Herr Glock had a problem with the car....

Really...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 20:15 
Excellent Member

No other way to say it but "Fucking hell!"

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 20:25 
Gogmagog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 20:28 
Excellent Painter

MaliA wrote:
Crikey.

Well, I'm sure Herr Glock had a problem with the car....

Really...

No, he had the wrong tyres on. I could be wrong, but I think if you could look at lap time drop offs from other races there would almost certainly be consistency. You need to take on board the fact that these cars do drop off a cliff performance wise if everything isn't within fairly tight tolerances.

Anyway, let's not take anything away from Lewis - he won the championship pretty fairly, all things considered. Yes, luck was involved and it sure made for a nail biting race, but I'm happy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 20:29 
Excellent Painter

MaliA wrote:

It was the maddest last race I've seen. The drama of all weathers and all emotions was quite broad. It's been a long time since I can remember being on the edge of my seat like that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 20:31 
Gogmagog

DBSnappa wrote:
MaliA wrote:

It was the maddest last race I've seen. The drama of all weathers and all emotions was quite broad. It's been a long time since I can remember being on the edge of my seat like that.

Oh, certainly, I was quite enthralled. I think, after all, the season wound up the way it should have done, and, by and large, I do agree with you over Glock's tyre issues. Massa has gone up in my estimation, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 20:44 
Excellent Painter

MaliA wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Oh, certainly, I was quite enthralled. I think, after all, the season wound up the way it should have done, and, by and large, I do agree with you over Glock's tyre issues. Massa has gone up in my estimation, though.
No doubt, he's elevated himself in my estimations as well. Even though I admit that I wanted Hamilton to win this year I did feel for Massa a lot, but that was largely down to how tight it was, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 22:04 

To add to the defence of Glock, Truli in the same car with the same tyres but not involved did the same time on the last lap to within a tenth of a second.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 22:23 
Excellent Member

That must have been so, so hard for Massa. Winning his home GP and being world champion for 30 seconds - then having to stand through the 12inch remix of his national anthem while all the time looking as if he wanted the world to swallow him up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 23:27 
Comfortably Dumb

For those who don't follow F1 (ok, me), what's going on in that animated gif?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 23:29 

It's the exact moment when Massa's family (I think) go from thinking Massa has won the championship to being told he hasn't.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 23:30 
Excellent Member

For twenty seconds or so, Ferrari thought they had won the drivers title and were celebrating. Then they noticed Hamilton had nabbed fifth place with two corners to go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 23:32 
Comfortably Dumb

Plissken wrote:
For twenty seconds or so, Ferrari thought they had won the drivers title and were celebrating. Then they noticed Hamilton had nabbed fifth place with two corners to go.

Cheers Plissken. I figured it was something like that but Hamilton's about the only person I'd recognise in F1.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 23:49 
making out to faces of death

Hee that was great! I honestly would have been happy if Massa had won, but the drama! Oh Hamilton is gonna lose, no wait! no really! no wait! No really! No..!

It must hurt twice as much to be told your man lost the world championship, when Mr Catchpole out of Rentaghost is the bearer of bad news, too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 23:49 
Sleepyhead

Legendary GIF.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bloody hell, if they wanted it to come down to the last race then they can't be anything but happy with that finish - close enough for you?
Also YAY NO MORE F1 ADVERTS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 14:28 
Excellent Painter

:this: God only knows the ways I hate the Sony sponsorship deal with ITV for F1. Even the music gets on my nerves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 16:08 
Obsolete

Do you remember how it used to be though? When they took a break just a couple of laps before the end? Would have screwed things up for viewers yesterday

I hated all the adverts during F1, the Sony ones did indeed get annoying and this season there was always the Lewis Hamilton 'matchbox' car one and strangely a magners advert, endorsing drink driving were they?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 17:59 
INFINITE POWAH

F1 is rubbish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 18:44 

Where's Thomasdevi?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 22:44 
Rude Belittler

I think Formula 1's big problem is that it can't decide whether it wants to be a driver focused, exciting motorsport, where a level playing field is paramount, or a manufacturer led, technology based motorsport, where you don't want a level playing field, instead you want teams making great strides.

So you get half-hearted decisions, and end up with neither. Unless Ferrari are involved.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 23:06 

Indeed. The answer of course is mostly b), simply because we have any number of a) in the world already.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:58 

Right. If I want to watch drivers in equal cars, I can watch go karts, or Formula Ford or something. F1 is about the whole package, though to be fair, the car is more of the equation (this might change next year, though?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:08 

AceAceBaby wrote:
Right. If I want to watch drivers in equal cars, I can watch go karts, or Formula Ford or something. F1 is about the whole package, though to be fair, the car is more of the equation (this might change next year, though?)

It's a difficult sport because the maufacturers use it as a testing centre for car parts. It's a fine line I just wish the FIA would stop tinkering with the damm sport.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hello gospvg.
I quite agree, IMHO the technology should be left alone to shine. Just one season where they say 'fuck it, do what you like' would be ace.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:27 

Grim... wrote:
Hello gospvg.
I quite agree, IMHO the technology should be left alone to shine. Just one season where they say 'fuck it, do what you like' would be ace.

'Ello :)
I'm glad they are going back to slick tyres for next season & this KERS System seems very interesting. Just hope next Season BMW & Renault can be up there with the top 2 fighting for the championship.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:02 
Excellent Painter

gospvg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Hello gospvg.

'Ello :)
I'm glad they are going back to slick tyres for next season & this KERS System seems very interesting. Just hope next Season BMW & Renault can be up there with the top 2 fighting for the championship.

Y'know, I had a moment there when I was thinking "Why is Grim... saying hello to gos?". Forum blurring.

I think the other teams will get there - definitely Be em and Renault - particularly Renault as Alonso for all his petty ego power games is very good at car set up and development allegedly. The departure of ridiculous aero packages will make tyre wear more consistently predictable which is only a good thing in my mind and moving back to slicks will help this also I hope. Hopefully, the lack of rear wing turbulence and the power boost of KERS will allow for more overtaking as well provided the bloody FIA get their shit together, introducing a more tiered penalty system that allows the guys to actually race in a competitive fashion and start enforcing more consistently across the season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:08 

[/quote]

Y'know, I had a moment there when I was thinking "Why is Grim... saying hello to gos?". Forum blurring.

I think the other teams will get there - definitely Be em and Renault - particularly Renault as Alonso for all his petty ego power games is very good at car set up and development allegedly. The departure of ridiculous aero packages will make tyre wear more consistently predictable which is only a good thing in my mind and moving back to slicks will help this also I hope. Hopefully, the lack of rear wing turbulence and the power boost of KERS will allow for more overtaking as well provided the bloody FIA get their shit together, introducing a more tiered penalty system that allows the guys to actually race in a competitive fashion and start enforcing more consistently across the season.[/quote]

I think Heidfeld was lucky to keep his seat at BMW & Renault will get another new rookie for next season. Would like to see Honda get their act together & Toyota finally make the step up to a top team.

What I can't understand with the FIA is why they are reluctant to get a set of 'referees' who go to every race and ultimately have the final say with explanation on every penalty decision - There are some ITV-F1 presenters & ex F1 drivers looking for work :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:21 
Excellent Painter

gospvg wrote:
Quote:

I think the other teams will get there - definitely Be em and Renault - particularly Renault as Alonso for all his petty ego power games is very good at car set up and development allegedly. The departure of ridiculous aero packages will make tyre wear more consistently predictable which is only a good thing in my mind and moving back to slicks will help this also I hope. Hopefully, the lack of rear wing turbulence and the power boost of KERS will allow for more overtaking as well provided the bloody FIA get their shit together, introducing a more tiered penalty system that allows the guys to actually race in a competitive fashion and start enforcing more consistently across the season.

I think Heidfeld was lucky to keep his seat at BMW & Renault will get another new rookie for next season. Would like to see Honda get their act together & Toyota finally make the step up to a top team.

Renault have apparently confirmed the same driver's for next year, so more Piquet.

Quote:
What I can't understand with the FIA is why they are reluctant to get a set of 'referees' who go to every race and ultimately have the final say with explanation on every penalty decision - There are some ITV-F1 presenters & ex F1 drivers looking for work :)

There was definitely some politics going on, regardless of whether there's any evidence of it being malignant or not. But yes, you're right - they need a team of refs who oversee and apply consistent penalties but they also need to extend the penalty system so that it doesn't look like misdemeanours are being unfairly punished.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 13:25 
Paws for thought

I findit quite sad that the cars will apparently all look much the same, livery aside, due to excessively tight regulation. (and also look a little daft, at that, the 2008/9 hybrids certainly do. Although I have got used to the skinny rear wing by now)

Still not happy about the enormo front wing though, and not just as it looks daft.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 13:52 
Comfortably Dumb

They should have a season where they say 'Ah sod it - anything goes' and see what the manufacturers come up with. Probably guns and mines for a start.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 13:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:
They should have a season where they say 'Ah sod it - anything goes' and see what the manufacturers come up with. Probably guns and mines for a start.

Great idea!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 14:40 
Paws for thought

MaliA wrote:

extended version of this scene available on the FIA brazil highlight reel. With extra added "Smashing the shit out the wall" action from Mr Catchpole. Which amused me.

http://www.formula1.com/services/play_video.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 14:50 

DBSnappa wrote:
gospvg wrote:
There was definitely some politics going on, regardless of whether there's any evidence of it being malignant or not. But yes, you're right - they need a team of refs who oversee and apply consistent penalties but they also need to extend the penalty system so that it doesn't look like misdemeanours are being unfairly punished.

No doubt the FIA will come up with some stupid idea that will change 3 races into the season
Roll on withdrawal symptons :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 14:52 

Mr Dave wrote:
MaliA wrote:

extended version of this scene available on the FIA brazil highlight reel. With extra added "Smashing the shit out the wall" action from Mr Catchpole. Which amused me.

http://www.formula1.com/services/play_video.html

All in the heat of the moment the tension of that last lap was amazing.
I have been impressed with Massa's Tone in defeat.

Will check out the extended video in the evening - no streaming at work :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 14:52 

Well, basically unlimited technology formula was tried, it's more or less what Can-Am was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can-Am

Energy crisis, increasing costs...

edit- doh, it was Claypole. Good thing Chinny doesn't read this section.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 15:32 
Paws for thought

devilman wrote:

See this: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/12/31/i ... formula-x/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 15:39 
Sleepyhead

It's Supercars 2, come to life!

:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 15:57 

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 0728.shtml

No cars to be allowed at British GP from 2010.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 16:00 
UltraMod

That'll make the racing boring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 16:00 

?:|

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 16:24 
UltraMod

You would've made the same joke.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by this. I tried to get to the Formula Renault weekend they had last year, and had to turn around halfway there as the traffic was fucking mental.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 20:54 

It probably makes a lot of sense, really. Some kind of Park n Ride would probably be on. This is assuming Donnington will even be ready to host an F1 GP- I know there's a lot of scepticism about it happening.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 21:04 

Trouble is, are people going to want to drive many hours to clamber onto a crowded bus? Especially the kind of people rich enough to buy £300 F1 tickets.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 22:46 
Engorged Member

I take it we've all seen this?

Now I can start watching F1 again without ads and James Fucking Allen. The cock

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 22:49 

That said, his F1 blog is excellent. When he's got time to think he's excellent, which perhaps explains why he was very good in the pitlane back in the day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 22:54 
Engorged Member

Dudley wrote:
That said, his F1 blog is excellent. When he's got time to think he's excellent, which perhaps explains why he was very good in the pitlane back in the day.

I have to admit to having never read it, as his shouting just makes me mad. He seemed to exist solely to talk rubbish so that Brundle could sigh and correct him. I suppose in that respect he has his uses.

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:33 
UltraMod

AceAceBaby wrote:
It probably makes a lot of sense, really. Some kind of Park n Ride would probably be on. This is assuming Donnington will even be ready to host an F1 GP- I know there's a lot of scepticism about it happening.

I've heard rumours they may 'loan' the 2010 GP back to Silverstone.

Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next