Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1057 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Non-Genre Specific Music Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 16:46 
Hibernating Druid

Yes indeed.

Best enjoyed on vinyl :)

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 20:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:
Yes indeed.

I was in my office - I'd rather listen to it than look at it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 17:32 
Excellent Member

Dougal Reeds cover of the entire album is great:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=rela ... XWtJGZvulg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 17:59 
SavyGamer

I've been enjoying this quite a lot recently:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

Pretty funny, and very different to most other rap.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 
Excellent Member

New demo track for Taser Puppets with crowd sourced backing vocals.

http://snd.sc/ZkvEbP

The Crumplezone My Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 23:01 
Worst

Remember Cassie?

Well she's back with a rather excellent mixtape. It's free and here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 13:15 
baron of techno

Zardoz wrote:
Yes indeed.

Best enjoyed on Cassette!

In other news I've been listening to this damn thing all day, on repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FR842KUaOw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 17:52 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Grim... wrote:
I'm listening to Rumours by Fleetwood Mac for the first time.

It's bloody good, isn't it?

Yes. Also very good is the preceding LP - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac_(1975_album)

These two were never bettered, in my ould hippy opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 17:25 
Excellent Member

The new Fall Out Boy album is catchy, rocky, poppy, amazeballs. I can't stop listening to it. There's talk of them doing a UK tour in December. Yay!

I would have put this in the metal thread, but it's the least metal album ever.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 17:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I listened to War Of The Worlds for the first time yesterday.

Fuck me, it's a bit good. No wonder people were terrified when they first heard it on the radio.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 19:05 
Time Out for Fun

Grim... wrote:

Fuck me, it's a bit good. No wonder people were terrified when they first heard it on the radio.

You might like Kavinsky-Outrun, It's like an 80's version of War of the Worlds about cool guys, girls and Ferrari's and despite sounding like the most 80's record ever, it was released this year.

http://open.spotify.com/album/3bRM4GQgoFjBRRzhp87Ugb

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:19 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Runcle wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You might like Kavinsky-Outrun, It's like an 80's version of War of the Worlds about cool guys, girls and Ferrari's and despite sounding like the most 80's record ever, it was released this year.

http://open.spotify.com/album/3bRM4GQgoFjBRRzhp87Ugb

Getted! thanks for that, first album I've bought in years. Loved Drive as well :)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 23:26 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

I love that radio play. :luv:

Here's some Wiki!

Quote:
Many listeners sued the network for "mental anguish" and "personal injury". All suits were dismissed, except for a claim for a pair of black men's shoes (size 9B) by a Massachusetts man, who spent his shoe money to escape the Martians. Welles insisted the man be paid.

Ha ha! Awesome! :D

But somewhat more chilling consequences arose when the radio play was redone in Ecuador. Here's the tale from some War of the Worlds site, and it makes compelling reading. This rebroadcast sparked a full scale disaster...

Quote:
It seems fairly certain that when Orson Welles broadcast his version of The War of the Worlds in 1938, the only real injuries sustained were some bruised egos and perhaps the odd sprained ankle. It has been suggested that the newspapers of the time were keen to talk up the damage and with the passage of time it is all too easy to get carried away and imagine fatalities, but when you think about it calmly and rationally, it hardly seems credible to believe that anyone might lose their life over a fake radio broadcast, yet this is precisely what did happen just a decade later, when an Ecuadorian radio station fashioned their very own lethal version of The War of the Worlds.

The year was 1949, the date February 12th and the place Quito, the Ecuadorian capital city and home at the time to some 250,000 people. It should have been just another routine dramatic broadcast by the city's principle radio station, but by the end of that evening, the local newspaper office (home to the radio station) would be a smouldering ruin and at least six people dead at the hands of an enraged mob. But just how did this horrific tragedy come about'
Leonardo Páez circa 1940

The story begins at Radio Quito when the dramatic director Leonardo Páez was handed the task by the station management of bringing a new drama to life, though the actual idea originated from a Chilean member of staff named Eduardo Alcaraz. Alcaraz (his real name was Alfredo Vergara Morales) had brought with him from Chile a copy of the 1944 War of the Worlds script, an exciting connection to the earlier Latin American broadcast that has been confirmed to me by none other than the daughter of Leonardo Páez. It was Alcaraz who negotiated a contract to produce the play with the station management, but his role in the affair has been eclipsed by that of Páez, whose motivations and aims have been the source of much speculation over the years. Many histories of the event paint him in a highly suspect light; with it commonly claimed that Páez had withheld his intentions from the station management so as to cause the maximum amount of surprise to listeners. Writing in the well regarded book Ponzi Schemes, Invaders from Mars and other extraordinary Popular Delusions, Joseph Bulgatz went further, claiming Páez had planted stories about UFO landings in several newspapers in the days prior to the broadcast, and had even gone so far as to lock the doors to the studio so that the actors would not be disturbed.
Alberto Valencia and Gonzalo Benítez perform at Radio Quito

At 9PM on the night of 12th, listeners were excited to be treated to a special performance by the hugely popular singing duo of Luis Alberto 'Potolo' Valencia and Gonzalo Benítez. In the middle of the song For me your memory, Listeners were suddenly alerted to an urgent piece of news that Martians were reported to have landed some 20 miles from Quito and that the aliens were advancing on the capital in the form of a large cloud. Crowds rushed out into the streets and in the heightened atmosphere of excitement, agitated imaginations transformed ordinary clouds into this ominous object. The airbase of Mariscal Sucre was next to be swept aside by the Martians, along with a north-western parish of Quito near the airport called Cotocallao. The reporter (played by Páez) was then heard to collapse as gas swept his position. Familiar voices (impersonated by actors) added to the panic. The Interior Minister urged calm and the Mayor of Quito was heard to announce "people of Quito, let us defend our city. Our women and children must go out into the surrounding heights to leave the men free for action and combat." A priest was heard asking for divine forgiveness as church bells tolled and then from atop the La Previsora tower (the highest point in Quito) came a terrifying description of a monster engulfed in plumes of fire and smoke that was advancing from the north.

In an uncanny parallel to the 1938 broadcast when listeners thought the invaders were actually Germans, many people in Ecuador thought that neighbouring Peru was the real aggressor. This was an understandable, since there was a great deal of enmity between the two countries due to border disputes. But regardless of whom listeners thought the invaders were, panic was now well and truly engulfing Quito and surrounding areas. Churches opened their doors to the terrified population who were pouring from their homes in their nightclothes and running about the streets in terror. One priest is said to have conducted an open air mass absolution of sins such were the overwhelming number of supplicants wishing to make peace with their God.

At last the station staff realised just what was happening in the streets. A belated admission and plea for calm was broadcast, which is when things got really serious. Up until this moment, no one appears to have been seriously hurt, but now a great many people in Quito were acutely aware they had been fooled, and were looking for something or someone to vent their fury upon. El Comercio, the largest and most respected paper in the country, owned radio Quito and the station was housed in the same building as the newspaper. It was to this location that the mob advanced, and in what might have seemed an ironic act by the crowd, set fire to copies of the El Comercio newspaper and hurled these (and other objects) at the building. The main entrance was blocked and a fire swiftly broke out. Some of the besieged staff of 100 people escaped from a rear exit, but many were trapped on upper floors and were forced in some desperate cases to leap from windows. Others attempted to form human chains to the ground, but many fell. The reported figures for the eventual death toll varies between about 6 and 20, with the former considered the more realistic number, but regardless of the how many died or were injured, it was a clearly a terrifying night with some despicable acts reported. It is said that the mob beat policemen who arrived on the scene and removed fire hydrants in order to thwart efforts to extinguish the blaze.
The El Comercio building on fire

As the building burned, Army units drove tanks through the streets and fired tear gas to disperse the crowds, but help was late coming, as in the most deadly twist of the night, much of the cities emergency services had actually been dispatched to Cotocallao to join the battle against the Martians. Eventually order was restored, but the El Comercio building was severely damaged, with an estimated repair bill of some $350,000 dollars. Alongside the loss of life, much of the equipment for the station and presses for the paper had been destroyed.

In the aftermath, the defence minister was tasked with handling the investigation and over the next few days 21 arrests were made, both of rioters and station staff. Páez and Alcaraz were amongst those indicted, but here is where the story takes a strange and dark twist, much to the discomfort of surviving relatives of Páez. According to the accepted history of this event in the English speaking world, Páez really had planned to create a panic. Not only had he locked the station doors, but he had enjoyed the panic and upset he had caused. Having completed his diabolical mission, it has been dramatically claimed that he was last seen atop the roof of the El Comercio building, before disappearing from the pages of history, a wanted and reviled fugitive.

This certainly does make for an exciting tale, but there is another side to the story that needs to be told, for as revealed to me by his daughter, Páez did not disappear forever that night. Rather, he sensibly laid low for several months until he could present his case to a judge. Having had the good sense to retain a copy of the contract between Alcaraz and the station, he was able to prove conclusively that the station was fully aware of the play and its content, and as such he could not be held accountable for the reaction of the mob. The stories that he had locked the station door, enjoyed the upset caused by the broadcast and planted UFO stories are firmly refuted by his daughter. Páez had no authority to place stories in the El Comercio newspaper, and would never have stooped to this subterfuge even if he could have. He was hoping for some good reviews in the papers the following day, but had never imagined that people would react as they did. So exonerated in a court of law, Páez was free to resume his normal life, working without any stigma for other radio stations and newspapers in Ecuador.
Los que siembran el viento by Leonardo Páez

Six years later he moved to Venezuela where he continued to work in radio and newspapers for several more decades. He passed away in 1991 while still living in Venezuela, leaving behind a highly regarded body of work that included a book about the Quito War of the Worlds broadcast called Los que siembran el viento, (Those that seed the wind) and over 20 popular Ecuadorian songs, including La Tuna Quiteña (The fiesta of Quito), which has become a perennial national favourite. In 1985 he was given the keys to the city of Quito, not the sort of accolade routinely given to a man thought guilty of a monstrous deception and the death of 6 of his compatriots.

Woah! 8)

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Calvin Harris' set from One Big Weekend is pretty fucking awesome:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e82wrz/acts/az4mxj#p019l3hw

It starts off fairly slow, but by the end of part one he's starting to tear the roof off the place and doesn't stop for fifty minutes 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 13:57 
Gogmagog

Hurrah! 19 years after it's released, I finally get around to getting a copy of Illmatic. And my Bran Van 3000 album ison the way from teh states as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 14:16 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:

It's excellent. I have a battered 2nd hand copy on vinyl I found in a charity shop. They re-released it last year though!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 14:21 
Sleepyhead

SilentElk wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It's excellent. I have a battered 2nd hand copy on vinyl I found in a charity shop. They re-released it last year though!

Coz 'Glee' did a whole episode about the album.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 22:59 

Grim..., it's that time of year again :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8J58KSWm-8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 23:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yes!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:05 

:blown: Boards Of Canada aren't Canadian, they are Scottish :blown:

Been listening to them for donkeys years and only just found this out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:22 
Sleepyhead

The new Queens of the Stone Age album is a bit of a mixed bag, but on the whole quite enjoyable.

Really like the lead single, "My God Is The Sun". Cracking video too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:24 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
The new Queens of the Stone Age album is a bit of a mixed bag, but on the whole quite enjoyable.

Really like the lead single, "My God Is The Sun". Cracking video too.

They were really disappointing at Download. I didn't like the new stuff at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:

And they're not actually queens!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:41 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

And they're not actually queens!

Or from the Stone Age.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 17:05 
Worst

I think the new QOTSA album is their best since 2000, and quite comfortably so. It's not over-long (either song length or overall), and it's just stronger than the last few, with less mucking about.

markg wrote:
:blown: Boards Of Canada aren't Canadian, they are Scottish :blown:

Been listening to them for donkeys years and only just found this out.

Aye, at school, they watched loads of stuff made by the Film Board of Canada, IIRC.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 17:06 
UltraMod

I lost interest after Songs for the Deaf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 17:09 
Worst

I lost interest during Songs for the Deaf...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 22:01 
Hibernating Druid

I think the new QotSA album is the best they've done since Songs for the Deaf.

Fave song being 'If I had a tail'.

There are songs I skip on all their albums, but overall I think they're fucking great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 20:33 

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 21:23 
Hibernating Druid

Heh. Must get more of their stuff, only have Psycho Candy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 23:20 
Excellent Member

Zardoz wrote:
I think the new QotSA album is the best they've done since Songs for the Deaf.

Fave song being 'If I had a tail'.

There are songs I skip on all their albums, but overall I think they're fucking great.

I also agree this is the best since songs for the deaf, and even though it doesn't have classics like go with the flow or no one knows, it's overall excellent and I don't have to skip any songs like it's usual with their albums. I appear missing is beautiful.

Saw them live last summer and it was awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:07 
Excellent Member

I've been on a gig ticket buying spree in the last few weeks.

Jimmy Eat World at Rock City, Nottingham in November.

Less Than Jake & Reel Big Fish at Rock City, Nottingham in February.

Fall Out Boy at Birmingham arena in March.

And next month I'm going to see Mott The Hoople with my dad and Karnivool with Myp. Busy times :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 14:33 
Hibernating Druid

My 'attack with microfibre cloth' vinyl cleaning technique has brought a couple of old school compilations back to life (back to reality LOLZORX).

Have this, I don't care what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 18:01 
Excellent Member

Ange wrote:

Jesus! Do these bands still exist? I totally forgot about them.

Felling old 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 21:16 
Awesome
Yes

RuySan wrote:
Ange wrote:

Felling old 8)

That'll be a cracking gig. Seen them both separately, but I thnk I'd have a heart attack dancing at that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 23:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

RuySan wrote:
Ange wrote:

Felling old 8)

The last two gigs I saw this year were Meatloaf and Iron Maiden, I don't think you need to feel that old.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Ange wrote:

Felling old 8)

The last two gigs I saw this year were Meatloaf and Iron Maiden, I don't think you need to feel that old.

I also saw iron maiden back in may. But they are a timeless band that is always present in my life.

These are bands that were the shit back in the nineties that I completely forgot they existed. I saw less than Jake two times, once in 99 and another in 00, and even thought I don't consider myself to be very much into trends, I don't think I could listen to ska nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 
UltraMod

Iron Maiden are still around? I thought they were a shit band who were around in the 80s. I couldn't imagine myself listening to that kind of outdated metal now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:59 
Hibernating Druid

And that's why you will never be the Champion of Cyrodiil.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

SilentElk wrote:
Iron Maiden are still around? I thought they were a shit band who were around in the 80s. I couldn't imagine myself listening to that kind of outdated metal now.

That's because you suck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:09 
Excellent Member

SilentElk wrote:

You like Tool, don't you? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 
Paws for thought

SilentElk wrote:

If it's not Linkin Park (the musical) or Papa Roach, he just ain't interested.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:21 
UltraMod

I actually like Iron Maiden. My point was proven, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 14:48 
Hibernating Druid

Your face is proven.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 14:56 
Excellent Member

SilentElk wrote:

What was your point exactly?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 16:49 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

That music is subjective, and it's a bit shitty to reply to someone's post saying you think their music is rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 17:06 
Excellent Member

SilentElk wrote:
Bamba wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

That music is subjective, and it's a bit shitty to reply to someone's post saying you think their music is rubbish.

Who did that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 17:07 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Who did that?

Ruy-San.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 17:09 
Excellent Member

SilentElk wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Who did that?

Ruy-San.

Are you misreading "the shit" as "shit"?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 17:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

lulz

Reply to topic  [ 1057 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next