Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:20 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Holy fucking shit they do it on the 2010 Ninja ZX-10R.
Oh firey death, how you beacon me...

£418 TPFT with 4 years no claims, garaged, no alarms or immobilsers.

Hmmm.

Shame I don't have £261 a month to have it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:21 

Kwak ZX-10R... looks filth. Gotta be in the glassic green as per that piccy. :)

Tad too sporty for my tastes these days (I'd look a right berk on one), but I *do* fancy a nice new bike for next Spring/Summer. I don't think I'd go too overboard though; shit, even a humble middleweight like a Suzook SV650 would do me to be honest.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:24 

Mr Chris wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Still, if you want lots of go for "not much" money, it can only really be the Ariel Atom. £30k will get you a used one than will do 0-100-0 faster than the McLaren.

Or get a Big Engine Caterham, for half that.

Yeah, I'm with you there, chap. Spend £15k on a boggo, secondhand Caterham Roadsport. It's all the third car most of us would ever need, myself included. Awesome little machine. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:25 
Gogmagog

Captain Caveman wrote:

Tad too sporty for my tastes these days (I'd look a right berk on one), but I *do* fancy a nice new bike for next Spring/Summer. I don't think I'd go too overboard though; shit, even a humble middleweight like a Suzook SV650 would do me to be honest.

Do you want an ER5?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Captain Caveman wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Still, if you want lots of go for "not much" money, it can only really be the Ariel Atom. £30k will get you a used one than will do 0-100-0 faster than the McLaren.

Or get a Big Engine Caterham, for half that.

Yeah, I'm with you there, chap. Spend £15k on a boggo, secondhand Caterham Roadsport. It's all the third car most of us would ever need, myself included. Awesome little machine. :)

I've always found the Caterham horrifically ugly. I won't deny it's a fantastic little car, though. But I'd still take the Atom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:27 

MaliA wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

Do you want an ER5?

No ta mate. :)

I'm only toying with the idea; knowing me it'll all come to nought. If I do it at all, it'll be a new 'un with 0% etc.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:29 
Gogmagog

Captain Caveman wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

Do you want an ER5?

No ta mate. :)

I'm only toying with the idea; knowing me it'll all come to nought. If I do it at all, it'll be a new 'un with 0% etc.

Old Man Afterthought has a VStrom 650 which I've had a go on, and it's really rather spiffy. Doesn't do anything brilliantly, but does a lot well. Worth a look, maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:33 

Grim... wrote:
I've always found the Caterham horrifically ugly. I won't deny it's a fantastic little car, though. But I'd still take the Atom.

Fair do's mate; personally though I love the look of a Caterham in aubergene with a nice yellow stripe around the front nose cone. I'm biased as my kid bro' races 'em.

I love the Atom too, but to be fair, that's much more cash than a secondhand 'poverty spec' Caterham, which is of course slower, but still a gas to drive. The ultra-forgiving, novice friendly rear drive set up without too much poke is just irresistable on track, for someone like me. Who cares if you're being wasted by £100K GT3 RS Porsches?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 14:44 

If I had a Caterham, it'd have to be in British Racing Green with a yellow nose, I'd have to drive it to work, angrily resign from my job, hoon it home in the car, get gassed out and then awake trapped in some weird holiday resort in Wales.

With that in mind, I'd probably go for an Atom as well. Also, it must be said, the KTM X-bow is proper sex. It's a shame it hasn't been a success for them.

Also also, I got overtaken by a Lotus Evora on the commute home last night. This is the third time I've seen one in the wild (the first time was heading towards Oxford on the M40 and must've been a prototype since they were still months from going on sale). They're lovely, lovely cars. Oh, to be rich and be able to afford one of them!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 14:50 

Zio wrote:
If I had a Caterham, it'd have to be in British Racing Green with a yellow nose, I'd have to drive it to work, angrily resign from my job, hoon it home in the car, get gassed out and then awake trapped in some weird holiday resort in Wales.

With that in mind, I'd probably go for an Atom as well. Also, it must be said, the KTM X-bow is proper sex. It's a shame it hasn't been a success for them.

Also also, I got overtaken by a Lotus Evora on the commute home last night. This is the third time I've seen one in the wild (the first time was heading towards Oxford on the M40 and must've been a prototype since they were still months from going on sale). They're lovely, lovely cars. Oh, to be rich and be able to afford one of them!

Meh, the X-Bow is an amazing thing, but £45k though...? You'd have to be seriously minted to cough up that kind of money on what is basically just a toy (albeit a pretty awesome one).

Never seen an Evora in the metal, but can't say I'm over impressed with the looks. Plus, is anyone seriously going to spend £10k more on this than a Cayman S, bearing in mind that Car magazine found it was slower on track? OK I'm biased, but if it can't beat the (cheaper) Porker on track, it certainly isn't going to compare in all the other usual respects like quality, ergonomics, reliability, retained value etc.? Plus it has a Toyota Camry engine for heaven's sake.

To me, the Evora is an interesting car for motoring journos and the rest of us to pontificate about, but most of us would go for the Porsche with our own hard earned real money?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 14:56 
Chinny chin chin

Good news: The lady fixed the 4 nasty screw holes in the dash and you'd literally not know they'd ever been there. Superb repair job.

Bad news: Despite VW telling me via email last week they'd cut and code a new key for me when I was in today, guess what they didn't have in stock!

Another 20 mile round trip. Grrrr!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 15:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Captain Caveman wrote:
OK I'm biased, but if it can't beat the (cheaper) Porker on track, it certainly isn't going to compare in all the other usual respects like quality, ergonomics, reliability, retained value etc.?

I'd say that all four of those things are completely unrelated to track performance.
I'd type more but I've just had a fucking awesome idea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 15:43 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:

You nick my computer game stuff and I'll cut you, you cunt!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 15:49 

Grim... wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
OK I'm biased, but if it can't beat the (cheaper) Porker on track, it certainly isn't going to compare in all the other usual respects like quality, ergonomics, reliability, retained value etc.?

I'd say that all four of those things are completely unrelated to track performance.

Yeah, I didn't put that very well lol. What I meant was, you'd expect the focused Evora to at least outshine the opposition on track; this would compensate for the fact that it's held together with glue, and all the normal car stuff that it probably doesn't do as well. I mean, you don't buy an Elise for its stunning interior quality and daily driver potential.

Quote:

That sounds interesting, a cunning plan? :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 15:54 

The Elise has a Toyota Celica engine, what's your point?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 15:57 

GazChap wrote:

Personally, I'd want something with a good deal more pedigree for my fifty grand plus than a Jap repmobile's engine, although I appreciate that's not necessarily a priority for everyone.

EDIT: sorry I meant the Evora of course, not the Elise, which is a much cheaper car.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:14 

GazChap wrote:
What? Doen't the Elise use the Rover K-series engine?

Edit -- aha, Wikipedia says later S2s were a Toyota 1.8 VVVT engine. I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:15 

Captain Caveman wrote:
Personally, I'd want something with a good deal more pedigree for my fifty grand plus than a Jap repmobile's engine, although I appreciate that's not necessarily a priority for everyone.

The V6 engine in the Camry/Evora (and countless other Toyota and Lexus models) is probably one of the best engines Toyota ever made.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The Evora has the same 3.5L Toyota engine that's in the Previa and Camry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:17 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:

The Elise S1 did, the S2 uses the 1ZZ-FE engine used in the MR2 Roadster and 7th generation Celica 140, or the 2ZZ-GE engine used in the 7th generation Celica 190.

I believe some still use the K-series engine, but most moved to Toyota.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:18 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:

It used to Doc (this was always its main weakness IMO), but I believe it now uses a supercharged Toyota lump, which I've no doubt is better all round.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:20 

Ta for the correction, Cavey and Gaz.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:25 

GazChap wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

The V6 engine in the Camry/Evora (and countless other Toyota and Lexus models) is probably one of the best engines Toyota ever made.

It may well be Gazchap. I am not saying 'it's a shit engine'; I have no idea whether it's good, bad or indifferent, I'm quite prepared to take your wordd for it though. No doubt it's utterly reliable, that's a given.

No, what I am saying though, is that for me personally, an off the shelf Toyota engine (as used in the likes of the Camry - Toyota's Granada if you will), doesn't cut it from purely a pedigree POV, outright snobbery if you like. I'll admit that for £55k, I want something special. The £44k Cayman S has a beautiful flat six Porsche engine, the Audi TT RS has a bespoke five pot and the BMW M3 has a fantastic V8. This engine doesn't cut it in this specific (subjective) context, in my view. And subjectivity counts when we're talking something as indulgent as an expensive sports car; even TVR used to design and build their own engines.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:32 

Fair enough :P Different strokes for different folks, I guess. For £55K I'd want something that was utterly reliable ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:40 

Actually, the Rover K-series was generally considered a better fit for the Elise by many than the Toyota engine they replaced it with in the 111R - though both engines have issues. To be fair, the K-series is the worst with it's virtual guarantee of developing a head gasket failure at some point in it's life, but the Toyota is known to have cavitation issues. I gather you have to be ragging it pretty hard round some very sharp bends for that to happen though.

As for the Evora, it is Lotus's answer to the Cayman S certainly, but by maintaining the Lotus ethos of performance through light weight. Also, it's a mid-engined car, not rear-engined, so the engine can't be huge. The Toyota V6 they've shoved in is meant to be a surprisingly good fit. Not that I generally listen too much to what Clarkson thinks, but he certainly was gushing over the Evora in his Top Gear review.

I'd want one over a Porsche. I see three or four Caymans every day on my commute. I've seen three Evoras ever. And they look gorgeous in the flesh/metal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:44 

Zio wrote:
Actually, the Rover K-series was generally considered a better fit for the Elise by many than the Toyota engine they replaced it with in the 111R - though both engines have issues. To be fair, the K-series is the worst with it's virtual guarantee of developing a head gasket failure at some point in it's life, but the Toyota is known to have cavitation issues. I gather you have to be ragging it pretty hard round some very sharp bends for that to happen though.

As for the Evora, it is Lotus's answer to the Cayman S certainly, but by maintaining the Lotus ethos of performance through light weight. Also, it's a mid-engined car, not rear-engined, so the engine can't be huge. The Toyota V6 they've shoved in is meant to be a surprisingly good fit. Not that I generally listen too much to what Clarkson thinks, but he certainly was gushing over the Evora in his Top Gear review.

I'd want one over a Porsche. I see three or four Caymans every day on my commute. I've seen three Evoras ever. And they look gorgeous in the flesh/metal.

Fair do's mate, each to his own. :)

The Cayman is also mid engined btw (3.4 litre flat six in the case of the S) and tips the scales at around 1350kg I think.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:46 
Hibernating Druid

Psst!

Play the soul card Cate!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:48 

Zardoz wrote:
Psst!

Play the soul card Cate!

Shhhh! That's my next move old chap, that'll land the killer blow! :hat:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:49 

Zio wrote:
but the Toyota is known to have cavitation issues.

Which one? The 1ZZ or the 2ZZ? The early 1ZZs in the Celica and MR2 Roadsters had terrible problems with excessive oil consumption caused by the cams wearing out and letting more oil through than necessary. This was fixed somewhere around late 2002/early 2003, and the 2ZZ has no problems reported other than dodgy lift bolts in the early versions of the engine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:50 

Heh... I've never driven either (Evora and Cayman) and both are (possibly permanently) well out of my price league. So I dunno. They all have four wheels and look nice though.

Besides, I base all my badge snobbery on videogames and Porsche are in hardly any. They practically don't exist as far as I can tell. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:51 
UltraMod

Forza 3 has Porsches. You should get a 360.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:54 

myp wrote:

I HAVE ONE NOW GODDAMMIT! :boots:

Besides, I said 'hardly any'. Lotus are in more videogames than I can wave a large feather duster at.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:56 

The Entire Forum wrote:
:boots:
You keep using this dimlie. I do not think it means what you think it means.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 17:00 
Hibernating Druid

It's getting late have you seen my mates
Ma tell me when the boys get here
It's seven o'clock and I want to rock
Want to get a belly full of beer
My old man's drunker than a barrel full of monkeys
And my old lady she don't care
My sister looks cute in her braces and boots
A handful of grease in her hair

Don't give us none of your aggravation
We had it with your discipline
Saturday night's alright for fighting
Get a little action in

Get about as oiled as a diesel train
Gonna set this dance alight
'Cause Saturday night's the night I like
Saturday night's alright, alright, alright
Well they're packed pretty tight in here tonight
I'm looking for a dolly who'll see me right
I may use a little muscle to get what I need
I may sink a little drink and shout out "She's with me!"
A couple of the sound that I really like
Are the sounds of a switchblade and a motorbike
I'm a juvenile product of the working class
Whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass

Don't give us none of your aggravation
We had it with your discipline
Saturday night's alright for fighting
Get a little action in
\
:boots:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 17:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

http://www.fullonrobotchubby.co.uk/bang/

I got bored looking up prices, but I'll finish it in due course.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 17:09 

Grim... wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

http://www.fullonrobotchubby.co.uk/bang/

I got bored looking up prices, but I'll finish it in due course.

Brilliant! :)

I reckon you should submit to TG mate, that's a fantastic illustration of a car's real price/performance. I reckon a league table would be awesome.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 17:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If anyone wants to help, you can look up the prices of the missing cars and put on this list ;)

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... 5WHc&hl=en

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 17:18 
UltraMod

Zio wrote:
myp wrote:

I HAVE ONE NOW GODDAMMIT! :boots:

Besides, I said 'hardly any'. Lotus are in more videogames than I can wave a large feather duster at.

I've been away. I didn't know so good. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 17:20 

Yeah. I caved and bought a 360. I have to have 3 baths a day now to remove the stench of defeat BUT IT WON'T COME OFF!

No... wait... no, apprentely the stench is 'BO'. Probably the same thing though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 17:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
If anyone wants to help, you can look up the prices of the missing cars and put on this list ;)

Aw, someone's already helping! Thanks, mystery editor! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 17:41 
UltraMod

Zio wrote:
Yeah. I caved and bought a 360. I have to have 3 baths a day now to remove the stench of defeat BUT IT WON'T COME OFF!

No... wait... no, apprentely the stench is 'BO'. Probably the same thing though.

The trick is to change the water each bath.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 18:03 
Excellent Painter

Grim... wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Aw, someone's already helping! Thanks, mystery editor! :D

Don't forget the enigma wrapper.

Done another 17 for you - some of those are going to be tricky to find prices for... was the M400 even put into production?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 18:28 
Gogmagog

Mr Grim.. I don't think your "sort by value" column works.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 0:52 

I'm hopelessly shit at maths, but I think the formula isn't right. You're dividing the cost of the car by the number of seconds to get round the lap... which is fair enough for a 'cost per second' value... but this means the longer a car takes to get round the track, the better value it is. By that token, a skateboard must represent unbeatable value when it comes to wheeled transportation.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 17:35 
Hibernating Druid

myp wrote:
Zio wrote:

The trick is to change the water each bath.

If you don't want to waste the water it use it as stock.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 18:06 
Chinny chin chin

Zio wrote:

Don't worry, the 360 will be obsolete the moment I get one. You won't have long......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 22:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Heh. Caterham and Veyron at the same time. Caterham at one millionth the price.

Plus, the Caterham's got soul. The Veyron has just got computers and engineering and shit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:30 
UltraMod

Caterham's are shit and driven by wankers. I much prefer Morgans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:00 
Gogmagog

myp wrote:
Caterham's are shit and driven by wankers. I much prefer Morgans.

They are the gentleman's conveyance, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:17 

They're different things generally though, Caterhams are mostly owned by people who like to race them or at least go on track days or even just think that they're Nigel Mansell. Morgans are for, I dunno, poncing around with a wicker basket on the back pretending to be Toad of Toad Hall or Bergerac or some shit?

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 613  Next