Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551, 552 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:05 
Unpossible!

C-MAX get!

Fucking finally.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:07 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
C-MAX get!

Fucking finally.

I spent six weeks deciding on what to get last time I changed. :S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:16 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
C-MAX get!

Fucking finally.

My wife spent about 18 months last time she was looking for a new car. It doesn't help that I've got absolutely no interest in them so she was pretty much on her own with me sucking my teeth at the price of them all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:34 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
C-MAX get!

Fucking finally.

I've had to rush it along as having no car this week has been awful. Family and work have been very understanding, but I hate being a burden. It's a relief to be mobile again!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 14:19 
UltraMod

The last time I rushed into buying a car because of the same kind of pressures it ended up lasting less than a week. I hope you are more fortuitous.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 14:28 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
I agree. Helen looked at the new Focus last week and the interface, although quicker, is noticeably uglier. Also, the screen looks much more "stuck on" than the previous integrated style.

I read the other day (in PC Pro of all places) that the Ford SYNC system was by Microsoft but they've moved to a new software provider and platform now.

I quite like the SYNC system in my ST, I think it's SYNC-2 but they got up to SYNC-3 I believe.

The new Focus looks pretty bad IMO, and the way they've done the screen is fucking awful, it looks incredibly cheap and tacky.

I've seen a few parked up around here, don't like them much at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 14:43 

Hearthly wrote:
The new Focus looks pretty bad IMO, and the way they've done the screen is fucking awful

Do you mean the "stuck on to the dashboard" look? That's common to most new cars these days - apparently it's due to a new regulation (possibly from the EU, but not sure) that states that any navigation screens need to be within easy reach of a driver's eyeline and doesn't require them to take their eyes completely off the road to refer to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 14:46 
Best
Board Mother

Joans' focus screen is integrated in the same way that mine is and looks really nice. I want the utility of what he has, but in a fiesta. Really I just want to be able to switch between podcasts and audio books with the need to do it on my phone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 14:56 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
The new Focus looks pretty bad IMO, and the way they've done the screen is fucking awful

Do you mean the "stuck on to the dashboard" look? That's common to most new cars these days - apparently it's due to a new regulation (possibly from the EU, but not sure) that states that any navigation screens need to be within easy reach of a driver's eyeline and doesn't require them to take their eyes completely off the road to refer to.

DAMN EUROPE, thank God we are taking back control and will be able to have proper British dashboards again, filled with patriotism and spunk.

From my extensive research (I just Googled it a bit), it seems like it's a deliberate design choice, or at least it was up to a point - https://jalopnik.com/why-do-center-disp ... 1721287510

I think it looks bloody awful either way, appraising the interior of the new Focus, I honestly think my last-gen Focus looks a lot better. (Same goes for the exterior as well TBH, although the new ST might fix some of that at least.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 15:30 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Really weird whine coming from the front of the car when driving. Stops when stationary.

Matilda scared of your driving? ;)

Hey. As a speed limiter she is useful.

No noise at all on the return trip so Christ knows what it is/was. The new right arm suspension thing creaks a bit, but I know what that is, at least....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 17:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

We have Sync 3 in the Focus.

The satnav has a nasty habit of locking up and showing you as constantly driving in the same place, so if you're on a motorway you'll easily blow past your next junction.

It doesn't happen often, but it's happened more than once.

Otherwise, it's all right. I like being able to change the colour of the interior running lights, because of course I do. Obviously I'd rather they were normally blue but change to red under heavy acceleration, but hey ho.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 17:56 

Mine hasn't done that, but I use Android Auto (so Google maps) most of the time, as you don't have a choice of which maps to use if my phone's plugged in (yes, I could charge it via the cigarette lighter, or turn off Android Auto, but, faff).

What I don't like is it sometimes can't decide whether it's too light or too dark and constantly switches the display from day mode to night mode.

Oh, and what I really don't like is the weird caching of what podcasts I've got downloaded. So I'll get up in the morning and realise that once my current podcast has finished, I've got nothing else, so I'll download a couple of new episodes and jump in the car, then when that current episode finishes, nothing. I have to pick a new audio app, then go back to my podcasts app to make it recognize the new episodes. Coincidentally, it seemed to start doing this after Android Auto started to support the Google podcast app...

How can I change the colour of my lights (assuming it's an option I have)?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 21:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Um... Can't remember off the top of my head. It's the last option, wherever it is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:54 

Well sold on the EV thing so far. I'd been waiting for some repressed inner Clarkson/Cavey to start missing the soulful stench and racket from an IC engine but nothing so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Drive to Southampton and see how you feel ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:02 

I don't want to drive to Southampton.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

I don't want to feel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:22 

Nissan's whole app connected car thing is an unholy mess so far, though. There's Nissan Connect, You+Nissan and something called Carwings which seems to be what the car thinks that it's called. I have created accounts or attempted to on all of them and still have literally no idea what is supposed to do what and I haven't yet successfully got to the point where I can talk to the car with their app. And I'm supposedly an IT person. Just waiting on their technical support to get back to me. :S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
I don't want to drive to Southampton.

No one wants to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 

I've not had a car with one of these fancy schmancy keys that you can just keep in your pocket before. What would happen if say I got in the car with my wife as the passenger thinking that I had the key and then I dropped her off somewhere but it was her that had the key? Would the car let me know if the key was no longer in there as I drove away?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:26 
Hibernating Druid

You'd get a message on your Car Wings app.

That the car will asplode.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:33 
Unpossible!

markg wrote:
I've not had a car with one of these fancy schmancy keys that you can just keep in your pocket before. What would happen if say I got in the car with my wife as the passenger thinking that I had the key and then I dropped her off somewhere but it was her that had the key? Would the car let me know if the key was no longer in there as I drove away?

It should tell you as soon as the key leaves the car. MrsPaz's Focus does. You shouldn't be able to drive away, even if the engine was still running

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 

Someone turned up at work once without their keys because their husband had de-iced the cars and she'd just jumped in and driven off, so either she ignored the warning for the whole journey, or they don't all tell you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 

DavPaz wrote:
markg wrote:

It should tell you as soon as the key leaves the car. MrsPaz's Focus does. You shouldn't be able to drive away, even if the engine was still running

I might have to test this as it's exactly the kind of thing we'll do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:46 
Excellent Painter

It seems to vary from car to car. Fortunately, though there is keyless start on my car, you still have to use the fob to open the car. Mine stops the car if you get out with the engine running and the key in your pocket and has a message on the dash saying the key isn’t present.
I don’t think keyless entry is a feature I ever want, for many security reasons. I have a friend with a three year old Subaru with keyless entry and I tried an experiment with his where he was 50 yards away with the key and the car was still bloody open after five minutes!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:54 

The security risks around keyless entry are quite real, unfortunately. Sophisticated car thieves are using relay amplifier attacks in the wild to get the car started via a key that's still inside the house.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:02 
Excellent Painter

Yes, I know this. I’ve no idea if the BMW keyless entry system is any better, but if it isn’t I would need to keep my keys in a metal box or Faraday cage while in the house to make sure the car locked itself while on the drive. That’s why I’m relieved the car doesn’t have the feature.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:32 
Unpossible!

I literally keep my keys in a metal box at home. An IKEA key box

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:35 

DavPaz wrote:

If you haven't tested it, don't assume this works. Faraday cages are notoriously difficult to set up. Any tiny gap in the box's closure can render it useless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

If you haven't tested it, don't assume this works. Faraday cages are notoriously difficult to set up. Any tiny gap in the box's closure can render it useless.

The box predates the car by a decade, but I'm curious now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:43 

Just trying to see if such a thing even exists to buy but it's mostly just little wallets you can put a fob inside.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:49 
Excellent Painter

I’ve heard that old biscuit tins with a slide on lid (as in not hinged) are quite effective. The hinged variety have loads of gaps. I’d still test it though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:54 

I'm not overly concerned, though. I reckon that any car thieves round here are quite thick and probably not after Nissan Leafs anyway. Definitely not scared enough to be prizing the lid off a biscuit tin every time I come in and out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 13:14 
Sitting balls-back folder

I left the superb unlocked with the key in it overnight the other week. It was fine

Can't decide if it's the three quarter of a mile lane or the fact it's a Skoda that make me feel safe about that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 17:36 
Excellent Painter

BikNorton wrote:
I left the superb unlocked with the key in it overnight the other week. It was fine

Can't decide if it's the three quarter of a mile lane or the fact it's a Skoda that make me feel safe about that.

Kind of the local perv who borrowed it for dogging to clean it, don’t you think?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 18:20 
Prince of Fops

DBSnappa wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Kind of the local perv who borrowed it for dogging to clean it, don’t you think?

Talk about fishing for compliments.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 18:23 
Prince of Fops

Findus Fop wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Talk about fishing for compliments.

Even for CUS, this new venture feels hyper niche.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 18:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DBSnappa wrote:
I don’t think keyless entry is a feature I ever want, for many security reasons. I have a friend with a three year old Subaru with keyless entry and I tried an experiment with his where he was 50 yards away with the key and the car was still bloody open after five minutes!

For a lot of keyless entry cars you still have to lock them. It's not keyless exit ;)

DavPaz wrote:
markg wrote:
Would the car let me know if the key was no longer in there as I drove away?

Keyless Fords absolutely let you drive without the key in the car. They'll "bing" at you, but you can drive them all you like. You just won't be able to restart it is all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 19:01 
Decapodian

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The security risks around keyless entry are quite real, unfortunately. Sophisticated car thieves are using relay amplifier attacks in the wild to get the car started via a key that's still inside the house.

The fix for that is relatively straightforward though. Pop it in an RF blocking pouch or metal tin, and don't forget to do the same with the spare key.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 19:02 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

The fix for that is relatively straightforward though. Pop it in an RF blocking pouch or metal tin, and don't forget to do the same with the spare key.

See my subsequent posts. Those things don't work as well as you think they do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 19:07 
Decapodian

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

See my subsequent posts. Those things don't work as well as you think they do.

If I take the tin and key outside and stand right next to the car, it won't unlock for me.
It may not be perfect but it's a lot better than leaving the keys on a table.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 19:30 

We had a keyless entry Ford Fiesta, and it was stolen. They smashed the car window to get in, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 19:30 

Mimi wrote:
We had a keyless entry Ford Fiesta, and it was stolen. They smashed the car window to get in, though.

Which I guess is still keyless entry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 22:05 
Sitting balls-back folder

DBSnappa wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

I'd be very suspicious if I went out to find a clean car!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 22:56 
Can you dig it?

We put all our car keys in a big glass bowl and courage all our visitors to do the same

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 
Excellent Painter

Sir Taxalot wrote:
We put all our car keys in a big glass bowl and courage all our visitors to do the same

We put all our keys in a big ceramic bowl. We don’t encourage our friends to do the same, as we have a few friends who do this literally. And before you start looking at each other sideways, it’s no-one on here (that I know).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 
Hibernating Druid

Keyless entry party

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 
Excellent Painter

Zardoz wrote:
Keyless entry party

Be honest. You need a key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Hmm, I'm changing my mind. You want a last-gen Fiesta (2010 onwards) but a good example of one of them is going to up the price to £3k.

Get a 206 GTi :D

[edit] FUCK ME forget about that, they've jumped up in price by 300%.

Fucking knew I should have bought one last year >:(

[edit2] Turns out I'm not lying https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 01#p901301

Attachment:
peugggers.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:07 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I'sle of Mann car's and car part's

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551, 552 ... 613  Next