Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 13:47 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Grim... wrote:
L200 for the win.

Rong. Those are ugly and shit.
Get a Ranger or a Hilux

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 13:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
A Hilux is like sitting on a rock, and a Ranger is a wimp dressed up like a weight lifter!

F150, however...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 13:59 
Decapodian

Just don’t get a Navarra unless you want to risk the chassis snapping.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 14:05 
chewbacca -future arc welder

So we're agreed, Squirt should get a f350 super duty.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 14:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

krazywookie wrote:

Yes indeed. And a 360.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 14:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

@GazChap : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-44575399

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 14:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

krazywookie wrote:

Snigger, you said doody.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 13:41 

Grim... wrote:

Nissan should definitely be more upfront about the charging issue, but it’s not a phenomenon that affects only them - even on the old LEAF the battery temperature increases during rapid charging.

With normal UK weather I never had a problem rapid charging multiple times on a single journey, but I can well believe with the current weather conditions it’d pose real challenges.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 14:41 
Decapodian

GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Nissan should definitely be more upfront about the charging issue, but it’s not a phenomenon that affects only them - even on the old LEAF the battery temperature increases during rapid charging.

With normal UK weather I never had a problem rapid charging multiple times on a single journey, but I can well believe with the current weather conditions it’d pose real challenges.

It's not something I'd seen mentioned before, and while I've not really looked at pure EVs as a customer, I do read a lot of car magazines.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 0:59 
Can you dig it?

markg wrote:
Nordschleife lap record smashed:

Holy crap that's fast. Looks like a video game with all the cheats enabled... and to someone like me it also looks terrifying.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
By a hybrid, no less. The car is bonkers. The 2l V4 petrol engine puts out 720 bhp. The electric motor is another 440 bhp.

I wish Cavey were still here, as I can only wonder on the internal conflict (note old chap, consider this just gentle teasing)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 
Hello Hello Hello

He's still around on a couple of fruit machine emulation forums.

Can't say I blame him for deciding to make an exit from here. (Be it temporary or permanent.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
By a hybrid, no less. The car is bonkers. The 2l V4 petrol engine puts out 720 bhp. The electric motor is another 440 bhp.

I've been reading about how it works and oh my God, it's amazing.

Quote:
With the 919 Hybrid, Porsche has developed a new field of technology at racing speed. For the “Mission E”, a fully electric road-going concept sports car unveiled in 2015, the designers adopted the 800-Volt technology from the prototype racer. Porsche has exhausted all possibilities in designing the two-time Le Mans winner – especially in terms of the drive concept. It consists of the two-litre, V4 turbocharged petrol engine, the most efficient combustion motor that Porsche has built up to now, and two different energy recovery systems.

One turbine converts surplus energy into electrical energy

During braking, a generator at the front axle converts the car’s kinetic energy into electrical energy. In the split exhaust system, one turbine drives the turbocharger while another converts surplus energy into electrical energy. The braking energy contributes 60 per cent, with the remaining 40 per cent coming from exhaust gas. The recuperated electrical energy is stored temporarily in a lithium-ion battery and feeds an electric motor on demand. “On demand” means: the driver wants to accelerate and calls up the energy at the press of a button. In accordance with the latest regulation changes, the power from the combustion engine is just under 368 kW (500 HP), and the output from the electric motor is well over 294 kW (400 HP).

The use and interplay of these two energy sources require a sophisticated strategy. In every braking phase, energy is won – that is, recuperated. On the Nürburgring’s 5.148-kilometre Grand Prix circuit this happens 17 times per lap, before every corner. The amount of recovered energy depends on the severity of the braking manoeuvre, or in other words, the speed at which the driver arrives at the corner and how tight it is. Braking and recuperation last until the apex of every corner, the driver then accelerates again. In this moment, the aim is to utilise as much energy as possible. Hence, the driver steps on the throttle pedal using fuel energy, and also “boosts” electrical energy from the battery.

The hybrid powertrain of the Porsche 919 Hybrid

While the combustion engine drives the rear axle, the electric motor takes care of the front axle. The 919 catapults out of the corner without any loss of traction using all-wheel drive – and in the process recuperates energy again because on the straights the extra turbine in the exhaust tract is hard at work. At constantly high engine speeds, the pressure in the exhaust system increases rapidly and drives the second turbine connected directly to an electric generator. Both energy sources, however, are limited by the regulations: a driver may not use more than 1.8-litres of fuel per lap and no more than 1.3 kilowatt hours (4.68 megajoules) of electricity. He must calculate this carefully so that at the end of the lap he has used exactly this amount – no more, no less. He who uses more is penalised. He who uses less, loses performance. He must stop “boosting” and lift his foot off the throttle at exactly the right moment.

Arguably Porsche’s bravest decision for the hybrid system of the 919 was opting for 800 Volts. Establishing the voltage level is a fundamental decision in electric drive systems. It influences all else – the battery design, electronics design, e-motor design and charging technology. Porsche pushed this as far as possible.

It was difficult to find components for this high voltage, particularly a suitable storage medium. Flywheel generator, supercapacitors or battery? Porsche chose a liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery, with hundreds of individual cells, each enclosed in its own cylindrical metal capsule – seven centimetres high and 1.8 centimetres in diameter.

An everyday comparison: If an empty lithium-ion battery in a smartphone had the same power density as the 919, it would be completely recharged within a lot less than a single second. The downside: A brief chat and it would be empty again.

It's not totally clear but it sounds like the driver is essentially individually managing two throttles (the petrol and the electric) at all times. I wasn't sure if it worked out for itself when the turn the electric motor on and off or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:49 
Hibernating Druid

When the driver uses the electric pedal does its soul go to Porsche heaven briefly before returning when the petrol pedal is pressed?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I mean, maybe it has twin throttles. More likely it's controlled by a computer or he has a "Go Baby Go" button on the steering wheel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:18 
Gogmagog

I'd do one throttle, and have computer just turn electricity on and off based on how much it thinks it needs before it'll lose grip and also what fraction of the arbitrary number allowed it has allocated to that corner.

So what G dog said

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:26 

Grim... wrote:
I mean, maybe it has twin throttles. More likely it's controlled by a computer or he has a "Go Baby Go" button on the steering wheel.

I didn't mean "throttle", really; I meant "button." But it sounds like, at least in Le Mans trim, it had to be under manual control so the driver could micro-optimise where to spend the meagre allowed budget for power.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

When you're looking at micro-optimising though, is the driver going to be better at it than a computer? He's kinda busy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/motorsp ... 12515.html

Quote:
The red button at the top left is also very frequently used. It is used to demand electrical power from the battery, the so-called “boost". The drivers can boost to pass, but must be clever about rationing the power. The amount of energy per lap is specified. The yardstick is one lap in Le Mans, where eight megajoules are available. The amounts are converted accordingly for shorter circuits. The amount of energy a driver uses, for example, in the middle of a lap to get free of traffic will not be available for the rest of the lap.

...The two remaining controllers halfway up the steering wheel define the amount of energy when boosting...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:58 

So they get a dial that controls the amount of boost, and a button to turn it on and off. That's functionally a throttle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:08 
Esoteric

They had this car (or something very similar) on "How it's made : Supercar Builds". It's absolutely crazy how these things are made. That leccy motor is monstrous.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 13:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So they get a dial that controls the amount of boost, and a button to turn it on and off. That's functionally a throttle.

If I really squint I guess it's a throttle, because it does control power, but it doesn't give much control :)

They had the same in F1, basically the drivers pressed a button to activate the KERS and get more power, but they were only allowed a certain amount per lap. They could press the button all they wanted, but the car would only allow them what they could get within the regulations. I think it only worked when you were above X% on the (foot) throttle, which makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 15:54 
Excellent Painter

All aboard the hype train

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... ing-record

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 16:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I wouldn't put it past Red Bull to build a car specifically to demolish that record.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 16:09 

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

If I really squint I guess it's a throttle, because it does control power, but it doesn't give much control :)

throttle (noun)
1.a device controlling the flow of fuel or power to an engine.

Works for me. The fact it's a dial you turn instead of a pedal you depress is an implementation detail. Doesn't change the character of the thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 16:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Technically if it was fully computer controlled it would fit that definition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 16:12 

The wheel is amazing, BTW, if you didn't click through my earlier link.

The "boost" amount control is the golden 'B' dial on the left side. The red thumb button on the left is the "make boost happen" actuator.

The blue button on the right thumb makes the headlights flash so you can pass back markers, which is another area in which this car outclasses F1s :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 16:14 

Cras wrote:
Technically if it was fully computer controlled it would fit that definition.

Jesus Christ, why are you still arguing about this.

Sure, a computer controlled throttle is still a throttle. But what I said was:

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's not totally clear but it sounds like the driver is essentially individually managing two throttles (the petrol and the electric) at all times. I wasn't sure if it worked out for itself when the turn the electric motor on and off or not.

ie. there is a throttle for the electric bit and the driver manages it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 16:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Have we not met?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 16:17 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

The blue button on the right thumb makes the headlights flash so you can pass back markers, which is another area in which this car outclasses F1s :)

My er5 has one of those.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 16:25 

Apparently it's a boat as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 18:15 
UltraMod

It's interesting to note all technical restrictions were removed for the attempt. It wasn't in race trim.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 18:52 

Lonewolves wrote:
It's interesting to note all technical restrictions were removed for the attempt. It wasn't in race trim.

And on that note, regarding it breaking the F1 record at Spa -- what would a derestricted F1 car do?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 19:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

And on that note, regarding it breaking the F1 record at Spa -- what would a derestricted F1 car do?

That's a tricky question, as such a thing doesn't really exist - not in the modern era, anyway. They're built with restrictions in mind and to a very specific set of rules - run this power unit, be this size, have a wing this shape, have these wheels.

The days of "bring the fastest thing you can imagine" are - for better or worse - long gone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 19:09 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

That's a tricky question, as such a thing doesn't really exist - not in the modern era, anyway. They're built with restrictions in mind and to a very specific set of rules - run this power unit, be this size, have a wing this shape, have these wheels.

The days of "bring the fastest thing you can imagine" are - for better or worse - long gone.

Same with LMP1 class as well, though. Except they're designed for 24-hour races, not 90 minute sprints.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 19:15 
Decapodian

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

You say that, but they run with the engine turned down a lot of the time to conserve fuel, lifespan and tyres.

Allow unrestricted fuel flow and full power and there’s some more time to be had.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 19:16 
Gogmagog

Cover the wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 19:17 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Cover the wheels.

Question:

Does a round thing rotating to make car go forwards have more aerodynamic drag than it when still?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 19:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Allow unrestricted fuel flow and full power and there’s some more time to be had.

Sure, but I'm not sure they'll get much more out of them than they have for a quali lap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 19:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fitting fucking great big turbochargers would help, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 19:26 
Gogmagog

And rockets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 20:09 
Gogmagog

EXCITING ROVER UPDATE!!!!

It has a "brake wear indicator" which explains all the squealing noises.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:16 
Hibernating Druid

I need new front pads and disks.

33% off Euro car parts at the moment so I'll get some ordered on payday.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:46 
Prince of Fops

I was driving down the M25 yesterday in between two of these big bastards.

They are terrifyingly huge. You could almost drive a car underneath them. Pretty snazzy headlights on them, if you saw one in the dark you'd soil yourself (one way or another).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

"THE WORLD’S FIRST 4×4 OFF ROAD BUS"

That seems a bold claim to shout...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:59 
Hello Hello Hello

That's got zombie apocalypse survival written all over it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:00 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:
That's got zombie apocalypse survival written all over it.

"Mmmm, tinned humans"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Obviously if Rick and Daryl had one they'd leave it at a remote farmhouse and drive back in a car they just found with a few tins of beans on the back seat, with a great plan to go back and get the INDESTRUCTIBLE BATTLE BUS back at a later time. Because REASONS.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

If Grim... had one, he would park it somewhere and lose it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:18 
Prince of Fops

Trooper wrote:

Maybe Grim... parked his van near the fatberg that was discovered in London's sewers. What we see now is his van... evolved. Bigger, louder, faster, fiercer, fatter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 14:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:

That wasn't me!

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530 ... 613  Next