Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Now you must get drunk, film it and post it for our edification.

In a train toilet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 14:48 
Hibernating Druid

Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Now you must get drunk, film it and post it for our edification.

In a train toilet

Naked with pizza.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 14:35 

Final car update. That’s about £150 of fuel at UK prices (it actually cost something like $90.) About 350 of those miles were a road trip through Northern California, the rest were urban commuting, usually through bad traffic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 14:35 

And yes, I costed into the rental return queue on fumes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 14:36 
UltraMod

What's interesting is that would have probably cost you $30 ten years ago but still north of £100 in UK prices.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 14:43 

It was incredible fun to drive. We can only normally get the baby pony cars, like the 2l turbo Mustang or the V6 Challenger or Charger. All around 300 hp. This thing was a monster by comparison, with a side dish of plenty of sound and fury too.

I really like the retro styling of the Challenger (which my boss and his boss both had.) The recessed circular headlights, the classic shape of the tail lights, the simplicity of the lines (just one crease along its flanks), the big chrome fuelling cap — a really handsome car.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 14:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LOL Focus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 15:04 

Even better: it was a hybrid (it’s a Fusion.) He didn’t do well in the car lottery.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 15:08 

Although he was keeping up with the Camaro at one point when it was raining. He radioed me (we had toy CBs) and said “can you got a bit faster please” and I almost spun the fucker!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 15:25 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Although he was keeping up with the Camaro at one point when it was raining. He radioed me (we had toy CBS) and said “can you got a bit faster please” and I almost spun the fucker!

I'm not surprised. All that power to the rear wheels. Glad you're still alive!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 15:28 

Even in “sport” mode (mostly where I left it) it had a decent amount of traction control keeping an eye on you. I didn’t fiddle with the TC disable button or the track button, I’m not a complete buffoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 21:14 

Hearthly wrote:
Cavey wrote:
I think it’s pretty cool; the car choices are interesting and normally performance orientated, and cars are clearly a passion, which he’s (quite rightly) pursuing with great gusto and enthusiasm. Good for him; better that than some miserable tight wad and/or boring bastard.

A very expensive passion! Thing is, cars are one of those items that are going to end up automated and in the same category as toasters and microwaves, which is a very good thing in many ways, as putting silly emotional and massively fallible human beings in charge of tonnes of metal that can travel at 150-200mph is clearly daft. And the second they make a self-driving car that you can legally get to take you home from the pub, I'm all over that shit.

In the meantime however, they'll remain my biggest weakness when it comes to making daft choices instructed entirely by the heart instead of the head. (It's like, even though I'm a resident PC gaming spod here at BEEX, I went fully TWELVE YEARS between purchases of entirely new PCs, preferring instead to meticulously upgrade what I had over several hardware generations in my existing case, which ended up with a dust filter stuck to the side of it with masking tape to act as an impromptu dust filter. And yet, show me a car I like the look of and I'll burn through enough cash to purchase one or two top-end gaming PCs in the the blink of an eye.)

All that said, I resisted the urge to take anything for a test drive today but it's only a matter of time I fear, as I can feel the sickness gnawing away inside of me, as inevitable as the tides or the orbit of the earth.

The irritating thing is that the Leon is a really good car, everything about it is super-competent and completely inoffensive, very well built and feels utterly dependable - and I do particularly like Android Auto, I'd definitely be sorry to lose that.

I think the best thing to do with the RS is perhaps to take it out for a decent test drive, maybe it'll be like the Touraeg in that half an hour in its company would be enough to make me realise it's not a car I'd want to live with day-to-day. (On the flip side of course, I might love it to pieces, and then I'm fucked.)

As for the money thing, yes I'm clearly tipping stupid amounts of cash down the drain when it comes to cars, but my take on this is that money is for spending, if you earn it, you should spend it. Who wants to be the richest corpse in the graveyard?

I've been poor plenty enough in my life, it's nice to have a bit of disposable income, but at the same time I never lose sight of how lucky I am to be in that position.

But that's the thing, it's a GOOD thing that you spunk this money on cars, and in so doing, follow your dreams, desires and passions, because it means _you're_alive_. You're here the once, so enjoy it; you don't have to justify it to anyone. (There is a ready supply of miserable, jealous twats who'll call you out for it, but secretly most of them would be loving to buy the next Focus RS, Type R or whatever, but they have neither the means or the balls)

I did tell you the Leon was never going to do it for you. Yes, it's a perfectly worthy car but if that's your bag just get a Skoda diesel and save even more cash (same components, VAG Group etc.). Yes I'm sure it's very nippy indeed, a tidy (if default understeering, numb steering, super-safe) handler and relatvely economical blah blah but it is so boring I could fall asleep thinking about Leons. It's the crazy-daft RS you want, even though it makes about as much sense as falling down the stairs holding some plates - it's uncouth, stupidly fast, EXCITING in a way that some dreary Golf-clone can never be. It can bite back.

Nah, just get on with it - same way I get on with it. (I'm seriously thinking about buying a Stage 1 Harley FortyEight even though I don't get enough time to ride the CVO, but ManMaths is already kicking in, kidding myself that this "small" 1200cc second bike will be easier to filter in the morning commute traffic :D )

Me? I'm looking forward to your next choice, and the one after that, and the one after that. Keep 'em coming. :)

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 21:21 

Final Camero update, shot as I was in the queue at San Jose to return it. That’s about £150 of fuel at UK prices.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:00 
Can you dig it?

That's only slightly (very slightly) worse fuel economy than Lady T's big mazda SUV...

I'd push for a camaro or similar, but then I doubt we could get three kids in the back and all the associated junk in the boot. No sports car for me, for now, then :'(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:01 

You can’t get anyone in the back. The rear seat was even more of a superfluous garnish than in the Mustang I had last time. It just about held my backpack. Trunk wasn’t awful, though — big enough for one large and two smallish suitcases.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:02 
Can you dig it?

Naming cars.... I was never into it, but the kids enjoy it, and now it has stuck.

The big car is called 'Jupiter' and the little one is 'Venus'. Inspired by the vehicle names in Fireman Sam. There is practically no physical similarity.

Do.... do any of you have names for yours?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:02 
Sitting balls-back folder

Don't forget it's based on the US 3.78l gallon instead of correct 4.54l imperial one.

But oh, the Taxalots moved, right?

I'm pretty sure the Japanese manufacturers deliberately make their cars heavier and thirstier for the US market.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:07 

19 .34 proper mpg -that's about the consumption and average speed I used to get out of my E36 M3 :'(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:07 
Can you dig it?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
You can’t get anyone in the back. The rear seat was even more of a superfluous garnish than in the Mustang I had last time. It just about held my backpack. Trunk wasn’t awful, though — big enough for one large and two smallish suitcases.

This is good, 'the Mustang has bigger back seats' has been added to the list of pros that I shall use when attempting justification. The Mustang is also available locally here (Camaro has to be imported).

Quote:
Don't forget it's based on the US 3.78l gallon instead of correct 4.54l imperial one.

Oh, I didn't realise that. I have to convert into L/100km to compare, as that's how the Australian cars display it (the Mazda display can't be changed, although the Focus has an option to switch units).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:11 
Can you dig it?

Wait, the google converter was set to 'US miles per gallon', so it does compare.

Which means that 'roughly the same fuel economy as your car*' can be added to the list of arguments to make.

*pretty bad, actually.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:24 

Sir Taxalot wrote:

"I know what you're thinking. And the answer is yes, I do have a nickname for my penis. It's called The Octagon. But I've also nicknamed my testes. The left one is James Westfall, and the right one is Dr. Kenneth Noisewater. You ladies play your cards right, you might just get to meet the whole gang."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:55 
Hibernating Druid

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Naming cars.... I was never into it, but the kids enjoy it, and now it has stuck.

The big car is called 'Jupiter' and the little one is 'Venus'. Inspired by the vehicle names in Fireman Sam. There is practically no physical similarity.

Absolutely, normally based on colour and always a ladies name so my current car is called Ruby. I talk to her, and pat the dashboard quite frequently.

You see car ownership isn’t about constantly swapping. It’s about nurturing a long term relationship based on mutual trust and small scale modifications.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 0:07 
Gogmagog

Sir Taxalot wrote:

"Start you bastard"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 0:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

AE utilizes gonzo-style car ownership :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 0:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

"Start you bastard"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 
Hibernating Druid

Love the colour of the Challenger.

Same as Ruby :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 

Zardoz wrote:
Love the colour of the Challenger.

You certainly don't miss it. Or so my boss said when he got ahead of me on a slip road (in an inferior, although prettier, Dodge Challenger) and I retaliated by switching to Sports [*] and giving it full throttle, with the consequence that my torque-fishtailing car got rrreeeaaalll big in his rear view mirror before I decided I should test the ABS.

[*] I didn't have the bottle for "track" mode as I suspect it would disable the traction control entirely.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

They're basically easy, normal and hard modes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 
Hibernating Druid

Hurt me plenty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:47 
Hibernating Druid

This weekend's job(s) is/are coolant flush and replace and new temp sender fit.

Might put my new wing mirrors on too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:03 
Prince of Fops

We had the house painted the other day.

Bits of painted wafted in the wind and have speckled my car.

The paint doesn't appear to wash off with car shampoo.

The decorator says it's water-based.

I can scrape the bits off with my fingernail.

There are hundreds of bits - I don't want to scrape every single one off with my fingers.

What are my other options?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:08 
UltraMod

If it's water based just wash the car?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:11 
Prince of Fops

Lonewolves wrote:
If it's water based just wash the car?

I've tried that, it doesn't budge. Perhaps he's lying to me. He has a dog called Zeus that he keeps in his van while he works. Clearly not a man to be trusted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:21 
Unpossible!

You can't use a water based paint on the outside of a house. Clearly he's a liar, or he's stupid. Either way, he should be cleaning your car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:22 
Excellent Painter

T-cut is your friend. Exterior water based paint is likely to have a high acrylic content, i.e. it's plastic. Go get a bottle of t-cut as close to the colour of your car, read the instructions. It'll take a while to do, but your car will look like it's just come out of the showroom.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:22 
UltraMod

Yeah, now I've engaged my brain it would just wash off the first time you had any rain. :S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:23 
Excellent Painter

DavPaz wrote:
You can't use a water based paint on the outside of a house. Clearly he's a liar, or he's stupid. Either way, he should be cleaning your car.

You can. Weathershield is water based, as are many exterior rated paints for woodwork.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:23 
Hibernating Druid

Try something stronger like bug and tar remover.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:25 
Unpossible!

DBSnappa wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

You can. Weathershield is water based, as are many exterior rated paints for woodwork.

How does that work then? How do they stop being water soluble?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:26 
Hibernating Druid

Findus Fop wrote:

The Hearthley method.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:27 
Excellent Painter

DavPaz wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

It's an acrylic medium. Water based but dries like a plastic.

Hibernating Druid

DavPaz wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

The water evaporates leaving the paint.

See also, waterbased screen printing ink.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
You can still wash your t-shirt!

You should try it :attitude:

Hibernating Druid

What DBSnappa said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:28 
Unpossible!

Well, there you go. I feel enlightened.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:36 
Hibernating Druid

As they are 'scrapeable' here are some other words of wisdom from elsewhere...

*wibble effect*

1- Scrape them off with plastic credit card.
2- If there are any tiny ones stuck that you can't get, use a clay bar. These are designed for removing little dots of "stuff" without harming the underlying finish like other abrasives would.
3- Have the car polished and waxed afterwords.

*wibble effect*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:36 
Excellent Painter

DavPaz wrote:

This will blow your mind then. If you have a car younger than 10 years old, that's painted with water based paint as well!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:42 
Unpossible!

DBSnappa wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

This will blow your mind then. If you have a car younger than 10 years old, that's painted with water based paint as well!

Giphy "mind blown":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/6q4RAaZxpFrd6/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:42 
Unpossible!

Eww...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:48 

Findus Fop wrote:
Find out what paint he used and do the whole car in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:49 
Decapodian

Clay bar will shift it.

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500 ... 613  Next