Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:20 

Maybe, but it seems to me I can barely post anything at all, not even in the car thread, these days. Oh well.

I just want somewhere to have a bit of knockabout fun as a lighthearted distraction from work, without feeling as though my every syllable is being scrutinised to the nth degree, I'm being trolled or whatever. Got any suggestions? :)

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:21 
Gogmagog

Cavey wrote:
Maybe, but it seems to me I can barely post anything at all, not even in the car thread, these days. Oh well.

I just want someone to have a bit of knockabout fun as a lighthearted distraction from work, without feeling as though my every syllable is being scrutinised to the nth degree, I'm being trolled or whatever. Got any suggestions? :)

Dogging

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Cavey wrote:

I just want someone to have a bit of knockabout fun as a lighthearted distraction from work, without feeling as though my every syllable is being scrutinised to the nth degree, I'm being trolled or whatever. Got any suggestions? :)

Fruit machine emulation is very civilised these days :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:22 

Cavey wrote:

Have you tried the White House?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:24 

Hearthly wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Fruit machine emulation is very civilised these days :D

Heh! Maybe we could make the review dream team comeback!
(To be fair I'm loving the Impulse machines... pure genius!)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:26 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:

Mate, I love you and you're a great guy in person. But if you continue to lack self-awareness on here and double down with boorish boasting then I'm afraid it's fair game for me to laugh at your posts. ;)

It's either laugh or get annoyed and you're my friend so I don't want to get annoyed with you unless you start referring to America as the colonies...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:27 
sneering elitist

Cavey wrote:

Not disguising anecdotes as indisputable facts and then chucking around "I'm-better-than-you" remarks about your £70k Porsche when called out on them?

I don't know, could be way off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:28 

Cavey wrote:

I just want someone to have a bit of knockabout fun as a lighthearted distraction from work, without feeling as though my every syllable is being scrutinised to the nth degree, I'm being trolled or whatever.

Wait, one post ago I was a laughable figure beneath your contempt who doesn't even drive a £70k Porsche, but now I'm an evil bully who's stopping you from enjoying the forum? I had no idea I was so two-faced!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:28 
sneering elitist

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I just want someone to have a bit of knockabout fun as a lighthearted distraction from work, without feeling as though my every syllable is being scrutinised to the nth degree, I'm being trolled or whatever.

Wait, one post ago I was a laughable figure beneath your contempt who doesn't even drive a £70k Porsche, but now I'm an evil bully who's stopping you from enjoying the forum? I had no idea I was so two-faced!

To be fair those two things aren't mutually exclusive :DD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:29 

At least one of them is true! And you won't believe which one...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:30 

Hey no worries Matt, I've had a really shit week with big worries and have been up since 5am, sorry if I've been a bumptious knob here. Time to cool my heels :luv:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:30 

Have you booked for Cottage yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:31 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

It's funny because your Porsche is £95k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:33 

Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

It's funny because your Porsche is £95k

Seemed ostentatious given I drive less than five hundred miles a year, but hey, you gotta treat yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

EVERYONE IS HAPPY AND TALKING ABOUT CARS AGAIN!

My Tomcat hasn't moved in ages.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:36 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:
Hey no worries Matt, I've had a really shit week with big worries and have been up since 5am, sorry if I've been a bumptious knob here. Time to cool my heels :luv:

:luv:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:38 
sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:
Jem wrote:
I'm not a "kid" any more but honestly thinking of getting rid of my car. Feel like it's burning through cash (leaking coolant AGAIN) and 99% of the time I only use it to go to the gym, which is fucking ironic in itself.

I just need to learn to ride a bicycle without falling off...

Sorry, love. You'd think it being bright yellow would have clued me into it being a lemon.

:kiss: you bought me the one car I've wanted since I learned to drive - you don't have to apologise for nuffin'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:55 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
EVERYONE IS HAPPY AND TALKING ABOUT CARS AGAIN!

My Tomcat hasn't moved in ages.

Has it got a tree growing through it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No, that's pure slander.

There's a tree in front of it, mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 16:01 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Cavey wrote:

You should start a Hardcore cars thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 16:32 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
I'm not a "kid" any more but honestly thinking of getting rid of my car. Feel like it's burning through cash (leaking coolant AGAIN) and 99% of the time I only use it to go to the gym, which is fucking ironic in itself.

Pro tip: Don't join a gym in your town. Cycle to a gym in the next town over, but don't join it, either. Cycle back. After a few months, cycle to the gym two towns over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 16:34 
EvilTrousers

I am off to go and do this in March.

I've never done one of these things before. My Dad did one years ago at Castle Combe and from being a boy racer he shat his pants and drove a Formula Ford round in Milk Float mode to the point where it took him that long to do the lap we figured he had spun off and died.

So how do I not end up like that? Any tips?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 16:35 

Drive faster, but not so fast that you die HTH HAND

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 16:44 

Those Palmersport days are fucking top notch by all accounts, I'd love to do one.

Best advice is simply to listen to the instructors. With the single seaters, they obviously won't be out there with you, but I'm pretty sure from reading other reviews that they give you a headset to allow you to communicate with them if you need to - and the cars you drive up to that point should get you prepared for it.

Still, I drove an Ariel Atom around Curborough a couple of years ago. Short track, but not hugely wide and with little run off space. Something about not having the luxury of a windscreen or a big metal cage surrounding me to keep me safe suddenly made me feel very vulnerable indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 16:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trousers wrote:
I am off to go and do this in March.

That's right by my house. Shout if you want beer after.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 16:59 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
Jem wrote:

Pro tip: Don't join a gym in your town. Cycle to a gym in the next town over, but don't join it, either. Cycle back. After a few months, cycle to the gym two towns over.

That's not going to help me with my goals, but thanks for that :p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 17:54 

Cavey wrote:
Are we seriously arguing that normalised, mean wages haven't increased from the 1980s?

Right, I'm back at my laptop, instead of trying to piss about with a smart phone on the Underground. Where were we? :D (Oooh I quoted myself, bad Cavey! :p )
Everyone has called bullshit/anecdote on me for claiming that real terms average wages - adjusting for inflation etc. - haven't increased since the early 80s (which seems utterly bizarre to me, so obvious it is that this has indeed happened, but still). I was in no position to provide citations/data, being indisposed on said underground, but just because I can't do this instantly due to incovenience, doesn't make the assertion untrue and/or unfounded anecdote. Google is your friend. :D

Here's some stuff from our old mates at the ONS:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... cades.html

Quoted directly and verbatim from this source:

Quote:
Employees aged 21 in 1995 earned 40% more after adjusting for inflation by the age of 39 than those aged 21 in 1975 did up to the age of 39

The difference between male and female average pay for the under 30s has decreased dramatically since 1975.

Since 2011 the top 10% of full-time earners have had the largest falls in wages after adjusting for inflation.

Since 1975 average earnings for full-time employees have more than doubled after accounting for inflation.

Since the introduction of the National Minimum Wage, wage growth at the bottom of the earnings distribution has been strong for both full and part-time employees.

Hourly wage inequality has fallen across the regions and devolved countries of the UK since 1998

Adjusting for inflation to put wages into a 2013 equivalent and comparing the age range 21 to 39 shows that those who started work in 1995 earned 40% more than their counterparts who started work in 1975. A similar comparison of the age range 21 to 49 shows that those who started work in 1985 earned 18% more than their 1975 counterparts.

The difference in earnings between the 1975 and latter cohorts means that those who started work in 1975 had to work between three and four years onger than those who started in 1985 to accumulate the same amount of earnings and between five and six years longer than those who started in 1995.

Rather than track a cohort over time it is also possible to look at a snapshot of earnings in any particular year. In 1975 the median wage, the value at which half of employees earned less and half earned more, was £6.17 (in 2013 prices). By 2013 the median had risen to £11.56 per hour, an increase after taking account for inflation of 87%.

Looking across the age range we can see that for all age’s employees in 2013 on average earned more than their counterparts within the same age group did in 1975.

...Very Oops. Anyone need an autographed version, chaps? :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 17:57 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Cavey wrote:

You should start a Hardcore cars thread.

:DD
Heh.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 18:00 

Cavey wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Are we seriously arguing that normalised, mean wages haven't increased from the 1980s?

Right, I'm back at my laptop, instead of trying to piss about with a smart phone on the Underground. Where were we? :D (Oooh I quoted myself, bad Cavey! :p )
Everyone has called bullshit/anecdote on me for claiming that real terms average wages - adjusting for inflation etc. - haven't increased since the early 80s (which seems utterly bizarre to me, so obvious it is that this has indeed happened, but still). I was in no position to provide citations/data, being indisposed on said underground, but just because I can't do this instantly due to incovenience, doesn't make the assertion untrue and/or unfounded anecdote. Google is your friend. :D

Here's some stuff from our old mates at the ONS:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... cades.html

Quoted directly and verbatim from this source:

Quote:
Employees aged 21 in 1995 earned 40% more after adjusting for inflation by the age of 39 than those aged 21 in 1975 did up to the age of 39

The difference between male and female average pay for the under 30s has decreased dramatically since 1975.

Since 2011 the top 10% of full-time earners have had the largest falls in wages after adjusting for inflation.

Since 1975 average earnings for full-time employees have more than doubled after accounting for inflation.

Since the introduction of the National Minimum Wage, wage growth at the bottom of the earnings distribution has been strong for both full and part-time employees.

Hourly wage inequality has fallen across the regions and devolved countries of the UK since 1998

Adjusting for inflation to put wages into a 2013 equivalent and comparing the age range 21 to 39 shows that those who started work in 1995 earned 40% more than their counterparts who started work in 1975. A similar comparison of the age range 21 to 49 shows that those who started work in 1985 earned 18% more than their 1975 counterparts.

The difference in earnings between the 1975 and latter cohorts means that those who started work in 1975 had to work between three and four years onger than those who started in 1985 to accumulate the same amount of earnings and between five and six years longer than those who started in 1995.

Rather than track a cohort over time it is also possible to look at a snapshot of earnings in any particular year. In 1975 the median wage, the value at which half of employees earned less and half earned more, was £6.17 (in 2013 prices). By 2013 the median had risen to £11.56 per hour, an increase after taking account for inflation of 87%.

Looking across the age range we can see that for all age’s employees in 2013 on average earned more than their counterparts within the same age group did in 1975.

...Very Oops. Anyone need an autographed version, chaps? :D

Listen up, people! The adults who own £70k Porsches are posting!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 18:02 

I suppose it's expecting too much for you to say sorry, eh Gaywood.
Nice to have the last laugh though! :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 18:04 

Cavey wrote:

Of course mate, I'm too consumed by jealousy to possibly riposte.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 18:06 

I don't doubt it! :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 18:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Of course mate, I'm too consumed by jealousy to possibly riposte.

Envy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 18:10 

Grim... wrote:
Envy.

Well, I thought so, but a guy who drives a £70k Porsche thought differently so now I know I was wrong all along.

Cavey wrote:
Mate, if you think I'm the one with egg on my face here, I got bad news for you. Tell you what, when I'm off this train I'll post some stuff showing that the normalised, inflation adjusted average wage is higher now than in the early 1980s when I started driving, which no doubt you'll ignore or come back with totally irrelevant crap like you did before, "cars were easier to repair in the early 80s" no shit, Sherlock.

You feign amusement, Gaywood, but seething resentment and jealousy positively boils from your every post my old son, sorry. :DD

When all is said and done, even if I am talking crap, I'm the one getting back into a £70k Porsche, so y'know, I'll get over it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 18:22 
Hibernating Druid

My other car's a Porsche.