Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 15:48 
Sitting balls-back folder

Shock of shocks, Helen's chopping her 10 year old Micra in. Quite inexplicably, Ford have offered her...

Actually, back up a second - the shock of shocks is that Helen's 10 year old Micra passed its MOT without any advisories a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway; almost-shock-of-shocks, Helen's chopping her 10 year old Micra in. Quite inexplicably, Ford have offered her £500 for it, £1500 "benefit" against £1100 cost of credit and about £1500 off the list price of a brand-spanker Focus ST-2.

It's alright, definitely more a car for her than the Twingo - bigger, comfier, quieter, faster, more forgiving, all that kind of thing. I've almost been jealous a couple of times but I just remind myself of the all-very-nice-and-everything-but-nowhere-near-as-involving gearchange, brakes, steering, chassis feedback... and yeah it's faster, but not as much as I expected from 250PS - and it numbs you to some of that anyway.

More torque-steer than you'll can shake its back end at and (not-too-bad) turbo lag too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 18:16 

Over the weekend I had a friend of my gf's replace the timing belt and tensioners, water pump, the auxiliary belt and tensioners and the boost pipe (he spotted a split in it when replacing the EGR valve for me last time) in my Alfa, all for £450. Seemed a fairly reasonable price and it's utterly transformed the car. Runs much smoother and faster, no black shit pouring out the back whenever I put my foot down - also seems much more economical too. Obviously it's replacing the boost pipe alone that's done that, and he showed me how the old pipe had been spraying oil around the engine bay.

Only thing was, he noticed I was down to the cords on the inner edge of one of my tyres, so it's now in a tyre place having that tyre replaced, the wheel alignment done and, since the weather should hopefully improve at some point, the air con regassed (since it has no cooling effect whatsoever right now). So that's going to be another £150.

Turning out to be expensive, this car. Though I paid £2300 for a car that's apparently worth closer to £3500, so I'm still fairly happy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 17:22 
Excellently Membered

Had some fun today with my car. Seems to be engine seems to jump around a little (i.e. extra pull then no pull) and occasionally stalls when warm, possibly the EGR value again... however this would be my forth if so. Anyway what has alarmed me more is that the oil temperature seems to drop quickly. After a good drive today it managed to get to around 80C then the next minute (I did put my foot down) it dropped way down so it looks like the car was cold. Normally my car is rock steady at 90C nothing normally budges it, so I'm not sure what's happening. It's cold outside but I've never seen it do that before even when it's been down to -10 outside. Any ideas? I have it booked in at the garage for a look over but it seems strange and I can't help think it's a waste of time unless I can demonstrate it to them which I probably can't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 17:30 
chewbacca -future arc welder

itsallwater wrote:
Had some fun today with my car. Seems to be engine seems to jump around a little (i.e. extra pull then no pull) and occasionally stalls when warm, possibly the EGR value again... however this would be my forth if so. Anyway what has alarmed me more is that the oil temperature seems to drop quickly. After a good drive today it managed to get to around 80C then the next minute (I did put my foot down) it dropped way down so it looks like the car was cold. Normally my car is rock steady at 90C nothing normally budges it, so I'm not sure what's happening. It's cold outside but I've never seen it do that before even when it's been down to -10 outside. Any ideas? I have it booked in at the garage for a look over but it seems strange and I can't help think it's a waste of time unless I can demonstrate it to them which I probably can't.

hmm that all sounds like electrical stuff really, could be a bad earth point. I cant see the oil actually changing temp. like that so its more likely to be the gauge lying. one thing you can easily check is the engine earth, usually a wire or strap bolted into the engine bay somewhere. take it off, clean it and stick it back on. these can get a bit rusty and cause odd problems like that. check your oil level also.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 20:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Insurance renewal time, managed £220 fully comp for the C6 for the year, which isn't too bad for Insurance Group 45. (I'm surprised the C6 is as high as that, TBH.)

Maximum excess and all that stuff, no protection on NCB, no breakdown car etc etc.

Given that it's returning 32mpg long term and the tax is sensible, it may turn out to be a surprisingly reasonable car to run, costs wise.

UNTIL IT BLOWS UP BECAUSE IT'S A BIG FRENCH CAR, that is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 20:31 

Turned out to be the cables in the parking brake that were causing the fault in the BMW.

However, that wasn't the full story. They replaced the parking brake cables (two of 'em at £65 each) and replaced the gears in the actuator with the new ones I'd bought (although mine weren't broken, I figured I may as well go ahead and replace them to save future hassle)

The actuator itself was also buggered though, so they couldn't get it back together anyway. BMW wanted £700 for a new one, but I found a used one in the US for £100, so got that and it all fits fine. Parking brake is now back to normal.

Had to replace the rear discs and pads too. Their parts supplier quoted £95 each for the rear discs, but found some on eBay that were £33 for a pair. OK, they may not be the same quality, but the rears hardly do any work anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 21:11 
Excellently Membered

krazywookie wrote:
itsallwater wrote:

hmm that all sounds like electrical stuff really, could be a bad earth point. I cant see the oil actually changing temp. like that so its more likely to be the gauge lying. one thing you can easily check is the engine earth, usually a wire or strap bolted into the engine bay somewhere. take it off, clean it and stick it back on. these can get a bit rusty and cause odd problems like that. check your oil level also.

Cheers. Will take a look when the light is good and I'm not snowed in. Not a happy bunny about possibly of the EGR valve going again but I guess it due to not using the car very much. Think it's done less than 15K since the last one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 18:11 
Chinny chin chin

"KITT, Turbo Boost!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-21916129

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 17:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Where have I been this weekend, I hear you ask?

For the twitter and facebook challenged among us, I have been here, doing this.

http://mx5trackcar.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -trackday/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 17:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
If anybody is going to be there, you’re more than welcome to head over and say hello

ORLY?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 17:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Quote:
If anybody is going to be there, you’re more than welcome to head over and say hello

ORLY?

REALLY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 17:11 

Meanwhile, on Ling's twitter, I've been downgraded from "fuckwit" to "asshole" now, as she directs her army of followers back to my website.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 17:25 
Chinny chin chin

GazChap wrote:
Meanwhile, on Ling's twitter, I've been downgraded from "fuckwit" to "asshole" now, as she directs her army of followers back to my website.

In BEEX terms, does that place you above or below Noel Fielding?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 17:32 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
GazChap wrote:

In BEEX terms, does that place you above or below Noel Fielding?

Not 100% sure, but I'm definitely above Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 17:52 

And she's now name-dropping me in correspondence to the ASA. I assume it's occurred to her that someone else may have complained, but I guess I'm just an easy target ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 18:02 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

GazChap wrote:
And she's now name-dropping me in correspondence to the ASA. I assume it's occurred to her that someone else may have complained, but I guess I'm just an easy target ;)

Dear Gazchap

I was going to give you a £5,000 contract but now I won't because you've been described as an idiot on the internet.

Make of that what you will ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 18:09 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I was going to give you a £5,000 contract but now I won't because you've been described as an idiot on the internet.

Bugger.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 22:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Fuck me, this is cheap.

http://www.lingscars.com/Vauxhall/Corsa ... _T_(189bhp)_Hatchback_3dr_1598cc.html#models

£177 a month for a Corsa VXR...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:20 
Chinny chin chin

I don't pretend to know what he's done to this car, but fuck me it's angry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Fuck me, this is cheap.

http://www.lingscars.com/Vauxhall/Corsa ... _T_(189bhp)_Hatchback_3dr_1598cc.html#models

YOUR LINK NO WORK. YOU MAKE LING ANGRY. DONKEY-BREATHED TIME WASTER.

(Even a straight copy and paste of the link doesn't work, the brackets break the link in your post.)

Attachment:
LINGSAYNO.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Fuck me, this is cheap.

YOUR LINK NO WORK. YOU MAKE LING ANGRY. DONKEY-BREATHED TIME WASTER.

(Even a straight copy and paste of the link doesn't work, the brackets break the link in your post.)

Attachment:
LINGSAYNO.JPG

http://www.lingscars.com/Vauxhall/Corsa ... _T_(189bhp)_Hatchback_3dr_1598cc-personal.html#models

Working fine here :shrug:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:05 
Excellently Membered

[LINK]http://www.lingscars.com/Vauxhall/Corsa_VXR/1819424-1.6_T_(189bhp)_Hatchback_3dr_1598cc-personal.html#models[LINK]

Can't remember the correct syntax. Didn't work for me either but I figured it out. :-) :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:07 
Hello Hello Hello

itsallwater wrote:
[LINK]http://www.lingscars.com/Vauxhall/Corsa_VXR/1819424-1.6_T_(189bhp)_Hatchback_3dr_1598cc-personal.html#models[LINK]

Ahhh yes that works, cheers :)

That's mental cheap for what is a great little car.

I pay more than that for the loan on the C6, and when that's paid off if it'll probably be worth about three and sixpence, if it hasn't just blown up completely.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

itsallwater wrote:

Ahhh yes that works, cheers :)

That's mental cheap for what is a great little car.

I pay more than that for the loan on the C6, and when that's paid off if it'll probably be worth about three and sixpence, if it hasn't just blown up completely.

Sure, it isn't quite as good to drive as a Mini JCW or Cliosport, but it is less than half the price.
If I was looking for a new car, i'd find it hard not to order one. I'm finding it hard not to order one as it is and I don't need one :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 16:51 
Chinny chin chin

Does anyone make a footpump that doesn't fucking disintegrate if you as much as look at it?

That pump is a year old, has only had light use and was a replacement for a pump that fell apart on first use in exactly the same way on first use!

Pumps used to last, but I've now had a couple of Drapers which started leaking air through their pressure gauges, and that's now the 3rd AA pump that has gone west.

What the fuck is wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 
Sitting balls-back folder

I suspect it's something along the lines of GRIM... NOT KNOW OWN STRENGTH.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 16:30 
Excellently Membered

It appears my problems are EGR related. I'm going to be brave and attempt to fix it myself. How ever I'm going to cap the fucker instead of replacing the value. Anyone know how bad doing this is? Only read good things so far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 16:33 
Chinny chin chin

itsallwater wrote:
It appears my problems are EGR related. I'm going to be brave and attempt to fix it myself. How ever I'm going to cap the fucker instead of replacing the value. Anyone know how bad doing this is? Only read good things so far.

On VAG's at least, you need to ensure it's patched out of the ECU or you'll have problems with errors.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 16:40 
Excellently Membered

chinnyhill10 wrote:
itsallwater wrote:

On VAG's at least, you need to ensure it's patched out of the ECU or you'll have problems with errors.

My cars from 2001. I think I can cap it and let the valve still think its working. I just can't find any real downsides to doing it other than slightly higher emissions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 
Chinny chin chin

Hey donkey breathed time-wasters! You can now buy a electric Delorean:

http://www.firebox.com/product/4907/Electric-DeLorean-DMCEV?via=related

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

If I had the money, that would be a no brainer. I'd be all over that! It looks glorious!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 
Chinny chin chin

TheVision wrote:
If I had the money, that would be a no brainer. I'd be all over that! It looks glorious!

6 to 12 month waiting list.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Are you suggesting I could save that much in 6-12 months? Yeah, you're probably right.. I'll get one and it'll be a nice surprise for the wife when it turns up!

Serious question though. Can electric cars charge off a mains plug or do they need a special adapter or charging station?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 

I'm pretty sure that most can just charge from the mains.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 
Chinny chin chin

markg wrote:
I'm pretty sure that most can just charge from the mains.

Very very slowly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:42 
ugvm'er at heart...

It's pretty crappy tech for the price though, which I know isn't the point but it is still disappointing.

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/models

The Tesla Model S is the first electric car that actually starts to be a viable alternative in my mind. 300 mile range and luxurious.

It's a moot point as I neither have the cash to buy one, nor a place to plug it in overnight...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 15:15 
baron of techno

I'm planning to ask for one as a company car. 100% tax writeoff apparently :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 15:21 
baron of techno

TheVision wrote:
Can electric cars charge off a mains plug or do they need a special adapter or charging station?

Mine charges at about 10 miles per hour from a 13A plug. So it's always fully charged in the morning, like a phone.
There is a "fast charge network" of sorts appearing at filling stations, these can recharge the Japanese made cars in 20 minutes.

The standard public charging stations supply 32A 3-phase which is almost as good as the above fast charger, but uses the built in charger of the car, which currently is either 16 or 32A single phase - 32 is still pretty useful and will refill it in a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 15:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

kalmar wrote:
I'm planning to ask for one as a company car. 100% tax writeoff apparently :)

A Tesla Model S? Blimey :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 15:53 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Can electric cars charge off a mains plug or do they need a special adapter or charging station?

Mine charges at about 10 miles per hour from a 13A plug.

You must need a long extension for that!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 19:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Put the C6 through THE BEST CAR WASH EVER today. It was absolutely fucking filthy thanks to all the snow and ice and thus salt on the road and what have you.

I hate washing cars by hand and I basically refuse to do it, the thing I resented most about the Scooby was that I had to hand wash it because the various spoilers meant it couldn't go through a car wash. (Shamefully, I ended up paying a dude at work who loves cars £20 per time to wash it for me.)

Anyway, this car wash, for the top programme, costs, wait for it - NINE FUCKING POUNDS. I'd decided to give it a go 'cause the one I usually use (a) is a scarily tight fit for the C6, since the C6 is over two metres wide and (b) doesn't seem to do as good a job washing cars as it used to, I think it needs an overhaul or replacing.

Since I'd just spent £106 on a tank of fucking diesel (!?!?!?!?), spending another £9 on a car wash didn't seem too extravagant.

It takes a remarkable length of time, just short of 12 minutes for the full programme, there's a soapy pre wash, then a jet wash, then the brushes, then a sort of gloss thing, the alloys get done, there's an under-car wash, then the brushes again, it does a dry cycle, then it does a wax, then another dry - I think that's about all of it.

Whatever the case, the C6 came out looking like it'd just had a very good hand wash, (far better than I've ever seen a car come out of an automatic car wash before), I also noticed the brushes themselves seemed to be using some sort of very modern super-soft material, not like car washes normally have.

The whole thing was very modern and exciting, it even had swizzy concentric blue LED circles to indicate which bit of the cycle it was on.

Not cheap at £9, but I'll probably use it once every two tanks of diesel (a tank lasts about two weeks normally, so it'll get done once per month).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 19:26 

since the C6 is over two metres wide

Really? The 7-series is just under 2m wide, I'd be amazed if your C6 is wider than that!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 19:34 
Decapodian

Took my Bravo for it's fourth service & second MOT today.

It passed with advisories for the brake pads being low after only 58000 miles :(
Those I'll do myself for £52 instead of the £320 the dealers wanted.

Also the front tyres have worn badly on the inside, so it looks like the garage that fitted them and did the alignment didn't do a very good job of it. Only 18000 miles from the fronts which is far less than I'm used to.

Still not too bad for a 4 year old Italian car to only need scheduled maintenance and consumables.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 19:44 

Blimey, I had no idea they still made the Bravo!

58K for brake pads seems pretty good to me - I'd love to have a car that didn't eat brakes ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 19:50 
Decapodian

GazChap wrote:
Blimey, I had no idea they still made the Bravo!

58K for brake pads seems pretty good to me - I'd love to have a car that didn't eat brakes ;)

After the original Bravo they ditched the name for the Stilo, then brought it back again in about 2008 for the Mk2. It's still technically on sale today, but I doubt they have many buyers.
I bought one because A) it looked ok and B) was cheap. £12.5k for a top spec one, and it's averaged 54mpg since new and only costs £30 a year to tax.

I don't do as many motorway miles as I used to, so I'm still happy with the pad life. My last Octavia was traded in at 78k and still had all the original brake components.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 19:51 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
since the C6 is over two metres wide

Really? The 7-series is just under 2m wide, I'd be amazed if your C6 is wider than that!

2.08m with the wing mirrors out according to the handbook.

Probably just under with them folded back I would imagine.

Attachment:
c6dim.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 17:39 
Gogmagog

car failed the m o t.it needs to front tires,headlamp bulb, windscreen wipers,suspension bushing so not too bad. do we have a favorites tyre supplier?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 17:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

I use etyres, mainly because they come to me and I'm lazy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 17:57 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I usually end up using black circles, after shopping around etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 18:30 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:
car failed the m o t.it needs to front tires,headlamp bulb, windscreen wipers,suspension bushing so not too bad. do we have a favorites tyre supplier?

Black Circles. They'll send the tyres to a local garage. You just order online and turn up at the right time. They are much cheaper than anywhere else.

Also check your tyre choice on:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Reply to topic  [ 30634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 613  Next