Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yankee Rules Throwball
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 21:09 
PC Gamer

Terrell Owens on a team with a weak-armed sub-standard quarterback.

I can't see any possible way that can go wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:36 
Sleepyhead

You really would think that he'd have learned his lesson by now, wouldn't you? Or maybe not if people keep on employing him.

Ack.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:39 
Rude Belittler

Well, it's draft day! All teams are looking to fill needs, for example, my beloved Broncos, whose stupid cock of a new head coach managed to piss off our Pro-Bowl QB enough that they had to trade him to the Bears. I'm not bitter.

So who will Detroit take with the first overall selection? Matt Millen is gone, so it can't be (yet) another WR.. can it? CAN IT?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 13:52 
Should be good to see what happens

Has anyone else read the draft by pete williams, Im about a third through and Im enjoying it a fair bit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 14:16 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Pundabaya wrote:
Well, it's draft day! All teams are looking to fill needs, for example, my beloved Broncos, whose stupid cock of a new head coach managed to piss off our Pro-Bowl QB enough that they had to trade him to the Bears. I'm not bitter.

So who will Detroit take with the first overall selection? Matt Millen is gone, so it can't be (yet) another WR.. can it? CAN IT?

Nah, they've already done a deal with Stafford (QB) for the first pick. Frankly they should get mercy picks from the NFL as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 14:53 
Rude Belittler

Maybe that's just a smokescreen, come the draft, Matt Millen will drop from the rafters, clobber everyone will a steel chair, and shout 'I'm baaack!' then pick a Wide Receiver.

That'd be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 13:38 
Participant in dramatic games

quate from the pti podcast' the nfl draft is a bigger sport these days than the entire nhl'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 13:47 
PC Gamer

New York Jets in "Mortgaging Future To Move Up The First Round" Shock. If Sanchez turns out to be a franchise player, it'll be worth losing some depth across the board. If he goes full Dewayne Robertson then not so much.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 18:54 
Rude Belittler

Well, season 09/10 has just kicked off, and there's been some interesting moves in the offseason.

Brett Favre retired at the end of the 08/09 season.... then unretired again, for the second year in a row. This time for hated Packer rivals the Minnesota Vikings. Expect burning effigies and a season that starts out well, then plunges into disaster.

Disgraced quarterback Michael 'Dogfightin' Mike' Vick returned from prison, threw himself on the mercy of the league and is reinstated and eligible to play in week 3 (I think) for the Eagles... well it was either them or the Raiders, no PETA protestors will dare to show up at the only NFL stadium with its own courtroom... and not because they fear getting sentenced there.

The Bronco's new head coach has managed to alienate both the Quarterback and top WR of that organisation. It's not like they had one of the top offenses last year or anything... oh wait.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 22:21 
Rude Belittler

Holy crap.

Drew Brees 358 yards passing, 6 touchdown passes.

Admittedly, the Saints were playing The Hapless Detroit Lions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 0:14 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

Pundabaya wrote:
Holy crap.

Drew Brees 358 yards passing, 6 touchdown passes.

Admittedly, the Saints were playing The Hapless Detroit Lions.

That's a pretty standard Saints approach isn't it? Brees is probably the next biggest "gunslinger" type QB in the league after Favre. 4 interceptions next week probably.

I probably will forget to check the NFL stuff until baseball season is over, like usual. My NFL season never really starts until November.

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:07 
Rude Belittler

Welcome to Chicago, Jay! You pathertic cry baby.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:45 
PC Gamer

I only saw the first half, but his receivers really didn't help Cutler out. The first two interceptions were both down to the receiver breaking off his route and not fighting for the ball.

And yes, I AM just bitter that I started Cutler over Roethlisberger in my fantasy team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:51 
Rude Belittler

And the third, and the fourth.

Yes, Chicago, you can start a defensive back/kick returner turned wr, a rookie and a second year player who barely played in his rookie year as your WR corps. Just don't expect them to be as good as Marshall, Royal, and Stokely were last year for the Broncs. Or good in general.

Also, the Bears Offensive line was pretty terrible, which didn't help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 13:48 
Participant in dramatic games

after finishing 0-16, didn't the lions get some nice draft picks then?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 13:56 
Rude Belittler

I have a theory about the Lions... they have had so many high draft picks, and have had to pay so much money for them, that they never have enough money for a decent supporting cast, and are consequently doomed to failure.

Case in point, their new quarterback, Stafford, has played as many NFL games as Eli Manning has Superbowl rings.. guess who is on more money? Give you a clue... it's not Peyton's little brother.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 15:30 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

So the Packers won then? :D

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 17:57 
Worst

The Lions should have retired as a team when Barry went.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 23:25 
Rude Belittler

Especially as Barry went, in his prime, because the Lions were a shit team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 13:43 
Rude Belittler

The most amazing news of the season so far has come out of the Motor City...

The Detroit Lions have....

Won a game!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 14:17 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

The Redskins were rubbish though, can't see Zorn keeping his job for very much longer.

Oh and by the way, where the fuck is Monday Night Football? Bloody ESPN aren't even carrying it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:01 
Excellent Member

I love American Football. I support the laughably useless Cincinatti Bengals and what did they do? Beat the Steelers! And what did they do in the previous weeks? Get beat by the flukey, crap Broncos and then narrowly beat a decent Green Bay outfit.

I love American Football because it's completely unpredictable. Premier League, take note.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:12 
PC Gamer

Morte wrote:
Oh and by the way, where the fuck is Monday Night Football? Bloody ESPN aren't even carrying it.

The rights for this season weren't sorted out until incredibly late in the day. They still haven't agreed a MNF deal, with ESPN and Sky apparently still in the running. It might be sorted later in the season but don't hold your breath.

More irritatingly, the red-button games have gone from Sky just as I've discovered the Sky Player. Simultaneously watching the cricket and the Jets-Titans tilt on Sunday evening worked really well given the stop-start nature of both games, so I can imagine having two Helmetball games on the go at once would be just as awesome. Also: only having one game puts us fully at the mercy of the Sky producers and their often-iffy scheduling. Bills-Buccs? Really? REALLY?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:17 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

It is essentially true of American sports as a whole, because they understand that competition is exciting, and processions to the Championship by one or two teams over and over again is not. The draft system is the biggest factor, and makes the baseball interesting from year to year (witness Tampa Bay last season) but NFL's salary cap does level the playing field dramatically. It's no coincidence that my interest in top flight football has waned greatly the more I've started watching US sport regularly.

Also> MNF next week should be interesting. Even more so if it clashes with a baseball play-off (and I mean that in the most literal sense, with the Metrodome being booked to host both matches should the playoff occur)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 20:16 
Rude Belittler

Lord Rixondale wrote:
Get beat by the flukey, crap Broncos

I'd call it not flukey, but an excellent play by Stokely, made because the Bengals were standing around watching.

Like one of them couldn't have chased down the 33 year old, in his 10th season in the NFL wide receiver with knackered knees.

I mean he, ran almost the width of the field after getting to the goalline to burn clock, and there was still no Bengal near him. The catch was a fair amount of luck combined with good WR play (half the WRs in the league would have given up their routes as soon as the pass was thrown), but it shouldn't have resulted in a touchdown.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:55 
Excellent Member

Pundabaya wrote:
Lord Rixondale wrote:
Get beat by the flukey, crap Broncos

I'd call it not flukey, but an excellent play by Stokely, made because the Bengals were standing around watching.

To be honest mate, I thought the whole thing was pretty damn funny. After being a Bungles fan for about 7 years now, I am used to them snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (see a couple of years back when they missed an extra point to miss the playoffs).

And as for the Broncos - 3 and 0. Who'd a thunk it? And the Bungles should make it 3-1 as they will be facing the hapless Browns on Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:18 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

The Browns, worst team in the NFL? Hmmm, could be.

Quote:
Cleveland possession results in the Browns' past four quarters: fumble, punt, punt, punt, punt, interception, interception, punt, punt, punt, end of half, interception, field goal, punt, interception, interception, punt, end of game

Taken from Mr Easterbrook's excellent TMQ article.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:25 
Excellent Member

[quote="Morte"]The Browns, worst team in the NFL? Hmmm, could be.[quote]

The Browns are a popular team in my pub. So much so, that every year a vast amount of money is put on them to make it to the playoffs (probably a good £500). I wish they'd give the money to me instead of Joe Coral.

I shouldn't laugh too much. I've lost tons on the Bungles over the years...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:45 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Pah, I'm a Raiders fan so I mock your suffering. At least you have a QB...and don't have Al.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 23:57 
Rude Belittler

The Raiders seem to be really... bad... this season. I mean really, really bad. Not just traditional Raiders terribleness, but even worse.

Usually, they manage to give the Broncos a game at the Black Hole, no matter how bad the team is playing. But this time they folded like some sort of electrified folding machine. Brrr. Darth Davis needs to give it up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 15:49 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Pundabaya wrote:
The Raiders seem to be really... bad... this season. I mean really, really bad. Not just traditional Raiders terribleness, but even worse.

Usually, they manage to give the Broncos a game at the Black Hole, no matter how bad the team is playing. But this time they folded like some sort of electrified folding machine. Brrr. Darth Davis needs to give it up.

That's never going to happen, we can't even wait until he dies as he died in 1993 (Truefact).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 23:35 
Rude Belittler

The unbeaten Broncs play host to the Patsies, who have been a bit inconsistent... beating the mostly terrible Bills by a point, getting lucky against the Ravens...

After the hoopla in the offseason, the Broncos are playing awesome defence. And putting pressure on the QB for the first time in years. They also only have two turnovers, both fumbles... who'd have thunk it with Kyle 'Not good enough for the Bears' Orton under centre.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 23:55 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Stick a half decent QB behind a good O Line and he'll look like a star, you just have to look at Monday's game with Farve. Meanwhile poor old Rodgers is in danger of getting killed starting behind that Green Bay line...he still managed to throw over 300 yards and when he had time to throw you can see the Packers made the right choice when they got rid of Old Big 'Ed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 22:08 
Rude Belittler

It helps, but so does having a running game and having good receivers ( see Culpepper, Daunte).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 23:07 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

So in conclusion: Farve is an ego on wheels that is made to look good by the rest of the team.

AGREED.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 23:19 
Rude Belittler

Favre was great... he was infuriating as hell to watch in his prime, every time rushers got close, he'd leg it out to the numbers and throw a perfect spiral to an open receiver.

Current Favre? Well, he's still good enough to do what the Vikings want him to do, which is hand the ball off, and throw the occasional pass. Which is all you need if you've got a running game like that.

Compare the careers of Dan Marino and Trent Dilfer... One is one of the best pure quarterbacks ever, but never won the Superbowl.. largely due to the fact that Marino never had a great running game or defense. Dilfer? Journeyman, reasonably accurate, not got a big arm. Won the Superbowl off the back of the Ravens' killer defense and good ground game. American Football at the pro level is like the ultimate team game. A QB just cannot beat the opposing team on his own.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 19:37 
Rude Belittler

uh-oh, Giants 31 - Raiders 7... at the half.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 19:51 
Sleepyhead

Damn turnovers are costing my Bengals...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 20:27 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

What we have 7 points? Did we buy them?

/He he, seems the coaches have learnt something, over 3 and a bit quarters Russel has only thrown 11 times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 21:02 
Sleepyhead

Woo! Bengals win!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 22:40 
Sleepyhead

Very impressed with the Falcons and their offensive play calling. Loads of fakes, playactions, etc. SF look a shadow of the team that took the field in the last few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 0:37 
Rude Belittler

Yeeeeeessss! Broncos win a nailbiter against the Pats!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 17:23 
Worst

Pundabaya wrote:
Yeeeeeessss! Broncos win a nailbiter against the Pats!

Awesome. Love when the Pats lose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 20:47 
Rude Belittler

Just watching various highlights on NFL.com, man can Ricky Williams still run the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 0:29 
Rude Belittler

The Raiders... win! Beating the Eagles, who've looked good the last couple of games...

Patriots annihilate the Titans 59-0.... the Titans QBs managing to get into negative passing yards...

Saints give the Giants a good kicking too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 18:53 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Well JaMarcus Russell was benched yesterday and the Bruce Gradkowski era has begun. I predict only great things can come of this.

oh wait.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 13:18 
PC Gamer

Top Ten Jerseys Seen At Wembley On Sunday

He Turned Up A Third Of The Way Through The Game
10. Michael Crabtree, 49ers.

A World Of Bad Choices
9. Derek Anderson, Browns

He's A High Draft Pick What Can Possibly Go Wrong?
8. Cade McNown, Bears
7. Vince Young, Titans

The Purist's Choice
6. Sammy Morris, Patriots
5. Vinny Testaverde, Bucs (Orange Throwback)
4. Walter Payton, Bears

They Were Out Of Nnamdi Asomugha
3. JaMarcus Russell, Raiders

From Our OJ Collection
2. Steve McNair, Ravens

The Hole In The Thigh Of His Jeans Put It Over The Top
1. Plaxico Burress, Giants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 13:23 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

I totally forgot Steve McNair was killed ?:|

And it was only a few months ago.

I can't wear either of my NFL jerseys now... Brett Favre Packers and Michael Vick Falcons. Pretty obvious why :'(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 13:49 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

/Goes off to hug his Marcus Allen and Jerry Rice Raiders shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 14:23 
PC Gamer

After several comedy efforts (#83 Moss the year before the Jets traded him, #10 Pennington just before he blew his shoulder out the second time, #63 Dewayne Robertson, er, at any time) I made the rule that I wouldn't buy another jersey with the number of an active player on it. So I rocked the #28 Martin on Sunday.

A guy a few rows ahead of us had a Jets #4 on. Ouch.

Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next