Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Lego (picture-rich thread)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:13 
Decapodian

Excellent. I’ll be interested to see what you end up with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:34 
Can you dig it?

That big Millenium Falcon looks amazing.... wow

Zardoz wrote:
More Saturn Rocket please.

It's finished now, it was quite nice spreading it out across a while so the kids could do some bits and be part of it.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 11.14.40 am.png

The internal structure is quite interesting. It's quite strong too. There's a lot of symmetry but also some of the pieces are 'handed'. It must have taken a lot of thought to design this.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 11.15.16 am.png

Considering there aren't really many truly/naturally round pieces, this little detail section on the venty-looking bits is neat. Looks a little wonky in the pic but it's not so noticeable in the flesh plastic.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 11.16.51 am.png

The second stage had some really funky pieces to assemble and click in. Was good to see it coming together. Nice use of colours too.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 11.17.54 am.png

It's pretty tall when all put together. The stages separate really easily and can be used to actually play with. The detail has been astounding actually.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 11.18.08 am.png

Taller than 2 out of the 3 kids in fact - it's over a metre tall when all assembled. I really like the fact it can be actually playesd with, so in that respect it's far better than the Revell / Airfix Saturn V model that my dad built for me when I was small. This lego one can be carried around we can pretend it's flying, making all the whoosh noises and that.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 11.30.01 am.png

Although I'm not sure that's quite how the lander (the boy insisted it was a robot) worked but check out how it can be a fun little diorama. Theres one of the capsule splash landing back on earth too.

And yes, the lander does fit inside the appropriate part of the rocket, so we can do a play scene of the separation, rendezvous, landing, and return. I have really had so much fun with this I'm considering buying another one that I can keep safe and then give to the boy when he's older and maybe has his own kids to build with.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:08 
Lord Humongous

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I'm considering buying another one that I can keep safe and then give to the boy when he's older and maybe has his own kids to build with.

Do it.

My kids both got huge boxes of classic lego (one 1500 pieces and the other 900 pieces) and we got them two large grey base boards. I'd say they've played with it more than anything else this Christmas. :luv:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 
Excellent Member

I finished it in 3 days - they were pretty long days though! Less than 30hrs but I wasn't very efficient on day 3, as I wanted to stretch it out longer. It was over too soon.

It is huuuuge. There are three minifigures in the cockpit, to give an idea of the scale of the rest of it. Most of the top panels are basically only laid on so you can access the inside areas. It's extremely cleverly designed, as are most sets these days. The detail in them is astounding.

I have my eye on a newly released Creator Expert garage building to go in my street next, and the Ningago city buildings.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:37 
Excellent Member

Zardoz wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
I'm considering buying another one that I can keep safe and then give to the boy when he's older and maybe has his own kids to build with.

Do it.

My kids both got huge boxes of classic lego (one 1500 pieces and the other 900 pieces) and we got them two large grey base boards. I'd say they've played with it more than anything else this Christmas. :luv:

That's a great idea!

Zardoz, I used to spend all my time when I was a kid playing with Lego. I absolutely loved it and had mountains of it. I was really, really precious about it too so it was all sorted into colours and types, all in a boxes - granted, the miscellaneous box was the biggest - there was no danger of any stray crayons being in there though!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 13:06 
Unpossible!

It's no Falcon true, but The Boy and I have just finished bag 1 of 5. KILLER CROC!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 16:41 
Unpossible!

Bag 5 complete. Fucking tank tracks took ages!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 16:57 
Soopah red DS

Nice Saturn rocket, Sir Taxalot. What if someone offered to fire it up in the air?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sIfKS8iiLc

Little bit high energy, low content - they don't quite show you what happens to the thing. But whoooo, rocket!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 17:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Whizz to 2:30, money shot fans.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 23:20 
Can you dig it?

JBR wrote:
Nice Saturn rocket, Sir Taxalot. What if someone offered to fire it up in the air?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sIfKS8iiLc

Little bit high energy, low content - they don't quite show you what happens to the thing. But whoooo, rocket!

Gosh yes, high energy indeed. Disappointed not to see the result of the 'landing' but it was a fun little video. I liked that the oldtimers seemed pretty nonplussed by the youngsters energy but admired the rocket anyway

With young kids myself I foresee a lot of rebuilding in the future for myself anyway, and that's with a drop from only however tall a child is (a meter or something :shrug: )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 16:19 
Gogmagog

Got me a starship.

Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14