Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: EvE Online
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 23:05 

Grim...'s Wolf is fucking rapid.

Do you want in on any L4's we are running in future? I'll give you a shout. Nice to see you today, catch you in chillout next time.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 23:51 
Gogmagog

I want to be back in so much it is untrue....

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So come back. I think you can get 14 days for free.
We need another BeexCorp - Sheepeh screwed the old one over.

GovernmentYard wrote:
Grim...'s Wolf is fucking rapid.

Sure is.

GovernmentYard wrote:
Do you want in on any L4's we are running in future? I'll give you a shout. Nice to see you today, catch you in chillout next time.

Fo'sho. I'll only have my Wolf though, as all the rest of my stuff is thirty jumps away. Still, it's harder to hit than a ninja wasp, and hard as fucking nails when you do. I could easily rig it to web and drain, and fit some defender turrets.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 15:07 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I wonder what Kovacs Caprios is up to these days...

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 20:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
The destination system is 0.0 security status. This is extremely dangerous and Concord police can not guarantee your safety there. Do you want to proceed?

Come on then, rats!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 20:50 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Quote:
The destination system is 0.0 security status. This is extremely dangerous and Concord police can not guarantee your safety there. Do you want to proceed?

Come on then, rats!

This has the possibility of ending in high comedy after a night out ends in a 0.0 ratting session as it "isn't that late". Like the time I decided to do the POS fuel run in an untanked hauler at 3am, hit 'autopilot' to get me through high sec, fell asleep to wake up in a pod on the gate on my destination system with an NPC killmail. Sorry, Galaxy Punks.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 22:11 

I'd love there to be another BeeXcorp but alas I'm indebted to the Hoplite Brigade for the time being - they've been such a help as I got started (when none of youse buggers were about) and I'll be paying back in terms of isk and guidance to future n00bs before I leave.

I think the truth of it is even if we are all subbed and corp together it'll go the same way as it did last time after a couple of months, so without trying to push any agenda I respectfully suggest people resubbing jump onboard with the Hoplite Brigade at first and then we see how we are doing in a few weeks. They're 'the right sorts' and it's a fun, no pressure corp with a 'be excellent to each other' mindset that's bordering on communism. I dunno, I suppose I know little else but it seems like an idea to me, that way no-one gets left holding the corp by themselves when real life inevitably takes over for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 22:25 
Gogmagog

They would get pissed off with malia's piracy, extortion, smack talk, and mercurial nature quickly, I would imagine.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 22:31 

Maybe the piracy, if it affects others.

Though of course those on another path are nonetheless as welcome as anything in our non-corp chat. If you are subbed, jump in and see if we're up to anything you fancy - we've a good line in FW along the Amarr border.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 22:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, so does mining ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 0:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Some pretties:

Attachment:
eve2.jpg

Attachment:
eve3.jpg

Attachment:
eve4.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:19 
Comfortably Dumb

After applying the Dwarf Fortress mod...

Attachment:
eve.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:59 
Excellently Membered

It all looks... well... a bit dark

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:04 
Gogmagog

Deep space, innit?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:10 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

oh shit I think my training runs out like, now.
hours of wasted time :'(

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pod wrote:
oh shit I think my training runs out like, now.
hours of wasted time :'(

Give me your details and I can flip it for you ;)

Also, there's a queue now. Dear dear dear.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 22:59 

Tyrannis is up, blue feel to it, nice music, you can put profit-making installations on planets and when Dust 514 comes out real XBoxers can fight over them.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

DAMMIT EVEGATE

I didn't know that patch-day was yesterday, and I had a long skill ending last night. So I've wasted MORE HOURS. :'(
I logged into this new Evegate thing and I can't change my queue :'(

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 23:29 

Eve Gate is being kept simple at first, more features to come, but even what they've got is only in beta. Training queues will come later, if at all. CCP are notoriously reluctant to improve queuing, it must be to ensure people log into the game frequently or at least plan for not doing so, which if I'm paying twelve quid a month I want to be sure a game will have me do in case I ignore it.

Presently I can queue 24 hours in advance, so they don't want me adding six months training and going travelling. Paid accounts for active users only it seems. What does my box though is I need training type-A II, III and IV and also Training Type-B I, II and III before I can fly ship X, and because I've already completed training I, it's possible to queue the rest but because I've not started Training Type B (due to it being untrainable until I've got Type A level IV, I can't queue it even though I've got space, which forces me to play the game when I normal would and go off accordingly, then wait two hours and go to bed late because I have to start the Type B lvl I when I can. Now that's pointless. But if I could do it from my phone in bed or get EveMon to access the api and do it when the time comes, that'd be nice, so I hope Gate has htis feature eventually. Something tells me they might not though.

Calendar will be very useful, if corp add something you can check nothing better is happening in-game before agreeing to go for a post-work pint. Nothing like a shit night in the pub to return having missed a lovely blob fleet, is there?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 23:51 

JITACAM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UrIJpNXR4k

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 
Gogmagog

http://ad0pt.evekb.co.uk/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=1539031

Oh, my.

74 Plex?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 13:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Jesus Christ.

For those non-Eve people, this person was killed with 74 'game time' tokens (6 years worth) in his ship - which cost €555.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 14:01 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Yeah; HILARIOUS.
Why would anyone carry that?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 14:09 

lol... and in Jita as well.

I'm not currently subbed as I'm not currently working... Back on once I am.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 22:38 
Gogmagog

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=779

DevBlog about stuff I don't really understand.

Sounds to be like it is object oriented testing. Which I guess is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 22:50 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:45 
Gogmagog

http://eve-search.com/thread/1411543

Quote:
I have taken several psychology classes in college. While my major was business administration, now its computer sciences. I am certainly no expert however its not difficult for me to identify peoples traits.

I hold one thing to be true, how you act in real life defines who you are. You can say this is make believe all day long but thatFs a real person on the other end of the computer. Even though these people couldn't possibly get away with what they are doing in this MMO in real life. I guarantee Their actions in this make believe word are in fact reflections of who they are in real life. Possible cruel people, who have little to no empathy for those around them. Taking what they want when they can.

Lastly you should be thankful there are people me in the real world. People who put the good of society before their own entertainment. We create a safe world for you to live and maintain social right and wrong. Call me a jerk all you want. Someday you may grow up and realize the truth.

I want to resubscribe now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 13:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You know you want to, Mali.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 14:28 

It looks less complicated than 'Blast Off', certainly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 14:52 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

They had the biggest battle ever a couple of weeks ago, apparently. So many players in the same area that people were experience latencies of a few minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 14:54 

I think wtfgecko (my colleague, some of you played EvE with him) was in the middle of that fight.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 13:41 
Gogmagog

Theft from courier contracts pays well

64Bn megacycte for 4Bn collateral. Nice.

He's smart, too

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 13:54 
Gogmagog

Incursion trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 22:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pew pew!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 22:39 
Gogmagog

I dreamt I was playing it last night. Dropped into a belt and pew pew pew two ships and pods before legging it just as their rescuers warped in. No loot but I woke up shaking. She is a cruel mistress.

I'll be coming back.

Soon...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 13:50 
Gogmagog

learning skills to go.

Dierdra Vaal wrote:
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=824

Quote:
reported by CCP Greyscale | 2010.11.25 11:40:14 | NEW

With one hand Santa giveth, and with the other he taketh away.

BE AWARE: THE CHANGES OUTLINED IN THIS BLOG MAY SLIP TO EARLY NEXT YEAR IF THEY DON'T MEET THE NECESSARY SOFTWARE AND QA MILESTONES, IN THE SPIRIT OF DOING THINGS PROPERLY RATHER THAN QUICKLY. WE WILL LET YOU KNOW IF THIS HAPPENS.

Ok, so about a fortnight ago (that's two weeks for those of you who don't speak Proper English), CCP Zulu (our august and esteemed Senior Producer) decided he was totally and completely fed up of being asked when we were going to get rid of learning skills, and told us (Team Yggdrasill at your service, m'lud) that he wanted them gone. And there was much cheering. And then someone asked "when shall we do this?", and verily did he reply unto us "by Christmas, or I'm going to give you lot a right proper bollocking and no mistake". And then we went away and dug through the big stack of plans we've made to deal with this in the past - "just as soon as we find time to do it" - and found the best one, and then figured out how to implement it in the time available.

THEREFORE, let it be understood that we have now the following plan:

* As of downtime today, all NPC sell orders for the eleven skills in the Learning group (hereafter referred to as "learning skills") have been CANCELLED. They're really not much use in the long run, we don't want to complicate later steps with unusual inflows of skillbooks, and it might go some way towards limiting the amount of scams that we know you're going to be running. Please, think of the children newbies.

FURTHERMORE, as of a patch which should arrive on (or about) the 14th of December:

* ALL LEARNING SKILLS WILL DISAPPEAR
o We're not kidding. In your head, in your hangar or in your anything else, they're gone. Vamoosh. Deleted. Sent to the big recycle bin in the sky. Etc etc.
* All skillpoints invested in learning skills will be reimbursed, including all the fiddly corner cases. If you have 2,012,692 SP in learning, you will find yourself down those skills, but with 2,012,692 skillpoints to redistribute.
* All skillbooks not currently injected into people's heads will be reimbursed at the old NPC sell price. The money will go to whichever character or corporation owns the container that the skillbooks are in. For example, things in cans you've anchored for yourself will be reimbursed to you, things in corporate hangar arrays or the "deliveries" bin will be reimbursed to the owning corporation.
* This will also involve cancelling any and all market orders containing these skills. Contracts containing learning skills will have those skillbooks substituted for copies of the Pax Amarria.
* All new and existing characters will have an extra 12 base points (ie, non-remappable) in each attribute.
* The 100% training speed bonus up to 1.6m SP will no longer be available. People partway through this bonus will lose the remaining bonus amount. They will of course gain a huge attribute bonus to make up for it.
* Miscellaneous other cleanup tasks will be performed that are not very interesting, details available on request.

This, as it stands, represents THE PLAN. We've talked to the CSM about it a bit, and taken their concerns onboard, but the point we're at right now is that there's very minimal room for alterations if we're going to deliver our Christmas presents on time. We will of course be monitoring feedback here for any serious concerns, but please be aware that we've considered pretty much all the options, and we're of the opinion the plan as outlined here represents the best balance between being nice and being sensible. While reading this you may find yourself thinking "wouldn't it be better if you..."; it's very likely that we've already thought of this and dismissed it because it increases the technical workload and therefore (by proxy) the deployment risk, and we don't have time for that sort of thing.

It's also considered empirically likely that, in the process of reading the above, you've had one or more thoughts spring into your minds that start with the word "Why...". Therefore, here are some Whys for you.

WHY TWELVE EXTRA POINTS?

The 10% attribute bonus from Learning applies after all the other bonuses. With the standard mapping it's 8 base plus up to 10 learning plus up to 5 implant, plus 10%. In this balanced example the bonus ends up being 2.3 attribute points; it can obviously vary a little depending on remaps, of course. 12 seemed like a pretty good place to settle. It also means that the default character gets attributes 20/20/20/20/19 (Charisma being one point lower), which looks very pretty and sensible and planned, which is always nice when it happens by accident.

WHY AREN'T YOU REIMBURSING SKILLBOOKS I BOUGHT AND INJECTED?

A couple of reasons. Firstly, in the huge overwhelming majority of cases you've already got more than your money's worth out of them (particularly compared to implants). In the tiny number of cases where people have bought them just recently and not really trained them much, we recognize that this isn't ideal, but still, you dropped ~20m to get +10 in all your attributes, and that's going to happen considerably sooner than you planned. Come January you'll be in a better place with this change than without it.

Secondly, it would mean dumping ~16 trillion ISK into the economy, and CCP EyjoG (our economist and qualified numbers-guy) nearly had a heart attack when we asked if this might be a problem. (He also said "don't do that, please" once he'd recovered from the shock.)

WHY ARE YOU REIMBURSING PEOPLE WITH SKILLBOOKS IN THEIR HANGARS, THERE'S NO REAL WAY THIS COULD BE BAD FOR ME BUT I FEEL OUTRAGED NONETHELESS (WHY ELSE WOULD I BE TYPING IN ALL CAPS)?

Because we determined we could, and because people who have large piles of skillbooks in their stocks are likely to have those stockpiles because they're making an effort to help out new players. We approve of these people and would like to not shoot them in the back if we can avoid it.

(Those of you who have stacks of skillbooks for scamming with, shame on you. Please, think of the newbies!)

WHY DIDN'T YOU SETTLE ON A LOWER ATTRIBUTE COUNT/TRAINING SPEED?

We didn't want anyone to come out of this change with a lower average training speed than they currently have (or at least, not by any noticeable amount). We also didn't want to punish people for making sensible, long-term decisions in the past based on the best information available to them at the time, because this would be terrible design practice.

WHY DIDN'T YOU DO (THING WHICH IS MORE COMPLICATED/EXTENSIVE, EVEN IF ONLY BY A SMALL MARGIN)?

As above, we have a tight timeframe here, so we're deliberately doing the smallest possible set of changes that seem fair and acceptable. We're sorry, but while your suggestion for completely redesigning the entire skills system from scratch is clearly hella awesome, we just don't have time.

WHY OH WHY ARE YOU GETTING RID OF THE NEW PLAYER LEARNING SPEED BONUS?

Basically, we did some math and discovered that giving everyone over twice as many attribute points off the bat, and a training speed bonus, was, well, kinda dumb, in the sense of enabling ridiculously fast training speeds.

If we lose the bonus, you're obviously well ahead of people who had the bonus but didn't train learning skills. It does turn out that, in terms of useful skillpoints (ie, skillpoints not invested in learning skills), if we take the bonus away there's a class of specialized training plan, aimed at getting a particular set of easy-to-reach skills quickly, that leave you slightly better off under the old system for a period between around halfway through month one and around halfway through month two. After that, the new system without the bonus is always better.

If you find yourself repeatedly training up sub-3m SP alts for specific tasks and then binning them, this may inconvenience you slightly. Sorry. On the other hand, each one will now cost you 20m ISK less, so count your blessings there. Also, recycling alts is against the rules and will get you banned.

On the flipside, if we keep the 100% training speed bonus, you'd be able to get into a Drake - with the basic certificates for core competencies, cruiser missiles and passive tanking - in around ten days. This is silly.

For further background, the reason the 100% bonus was put in was so that when we removed a whole bunch of starting skills in Apocrypha (taking new players from ~800k SP to ~30k SP), this didn't create a huge disadvantage. It worked out that increasing training speed by a factor of 2x for a while solved this problem. With this latest change, the addition of the extra attribute points increases training speed by a factor of 2.5x before the bonus is applied. Removing a 2x bonus and adding a 2.5x bonus seemed like a fair exchange.

If you don't believe me, here are SOME GRAPHS:

WHY DON'T YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS?

My capslock key broke so I stopped.

Anyway, that's 50% of the Christmas presents we're distributing this year (in terms of discrete features). Stay tuned for the other half, coming at some point in the near future to an internets near you.

-Greyscale, on behalf of Team Yggdrasill and the EVE Online development massive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 15:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
All skillpoints invested in learning skills will be reimbursed, including all the fiddly corner cases. If you have 2,012,692 SP in learning, you will find yourself down those skills, but with 2,012,692 skillpoints to redistribute.

Well, that's me resubbed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:44 
Gogmagog

So, in the latest patch, NPC fleets are invading the high security system, causing all kinds of shenanigans. The people that live there, and enjoy doing missions have gone 'right, something needs to be done' and formed up into fleets of their very expensive T2, faction fitted Battleships.

And been slaughtered by the boat load. And again. And again.

Then, they worked out that you need to remote repair your fleet mates to stand a chance. So, people formed up fleets, divided them into two wings, and led them into battle. Then, warped one wing away, so the chain of remote repairs ended and there were people in pods and delicious tears in space. Or took advantage of the rules, and shot a fleetmate so Concord then appears and destroys everyone.

By all accounts, it does sound EPIC, but as I can't get into high sec I'm going to remain unsubbed.

EDIT:

Screenshots:

zergl wrote:

And, also:

Lana Torrin wrote:
Had a little fun last night.. Sat in station and someone came in to system and asked people to fleet up (about 80 in system) to which I replied "God no did you see what they did to the last group that tried to fight them?! I'm not undocking because they might be camping my ststion".. To which the first response was "They can camp stations?" so I responded with "Hell yeah they camp everything! screw that!"..

After 10 mins of chatting in local I had well over half the system refusing to undock until the incursions were over convinced there were sansha rats waiting for them outside the station, and they would pod them..

Went to bed happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:21 
Honey Boo Boo

Reading all about EVE in PC Gamer last month, I thought 'wow, it sounds great' and also 'I wish I'd listened to my colleague in 2005 when she said she and her boyfriend played it and it was great and I should try it'. I feel like I've kind of missed the (Moray Star)boat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 0:11 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I got emailed the other day to be told that I had 5 free days. Naturally, I downloaded the latest client and capitalised on the free skilling time.

Then today I get told I can have 2 months for £20.

I'M SO WEAK. I PROBABLY WON'T EVEN PLAY.
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

To add insult to injury, my previous corp, dreddit, kicked me (+ many, many others) out for inactivity 2 days before I got my 5 free days. Perhaps that's what prompted CCP to give me creds?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 0:20 
Gogmagog

Buy 200 rifters, go to low sec or pirate 0.0, shoot anything you see in a belt. Should make for 5 days of awesome fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 0:22 

Pod wrote:
I got emailed the other day to be told that I had 5 free days. Naturally, I downloaded the latest client and capitalised on the free skilling time.

Then today I get told I can have 2 months for £20.

I'M SO WEAK. I PROBABLY WON'T EVEN PLAY.
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

To add insult to injury, my previous corp, dreddit, kicked me (+ many, many others) out for inactivity 2 days before I got my 5 free days. Perhaps that's what prompted CCP to give me creds?

I got the same and had a month of it then didn't bother for the rest. Ground me down too much. I wanted to pursue long-term goals and was training towards them, had everything set. So I start investigating things to do that would allow me to enjoy myself then and there. My slowly accumulated millions began to dwindle at a worrying rate to I ditched it because I wasn't enjoying myself. Quite gutted about that. Still, can't afford it anyway. Catching up on Xbox.

I'll still buy the books, mind!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Lots of fun has happened lately with respect to PL's forums being LEAKED/mirrored :)

#post189768">http://www.kugutsumen.com/showthread.ph ... post189768

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 19:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Well here goes then!

Me and a chum have been talked into this by one of our regular Saturday night games crew (we were all in the Manx guild in WoW together and still play BF3/DiRT3/etc on a Saturday night).

He's done refer-a-friend with me which means he gets a free PLEX which he says he can sell for 450mil ISK and he'll split that with me, and I understand that's a nice amount of cash to get going with.

Literally just created my character and had a little walk around my captain's quarters up to now.

Attachment:
eve.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 20:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Blimey, it's quite erm, expansive, isn't it?

The tutorial is nice but it's a long way from the absolute hand-holding that WoW does.

It's all quite lovely though, kind of like how I imagined Elite 'really looked' in my head back when I played Elite in the 80s.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 20:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Someone find him the picture of the difficulty graphs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 20:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 20:59 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 21:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Fuck you Doc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 21:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Properly true, that. The overhang is when you realise just how fucking big it is.

Reply to topic  [ 1153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next