Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: White Castle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 14:38 
Excellently Membered

I was reading this COD4_Maps Guy and stumbled onto this White Castle -> Crave Case.

I want one over here! 30 Burgers! Numma!

Post subject: Re: White Castle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 15:03 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Steamed burgers? Sounds disgusting. Infact, I've never had steamed meat* so I wouldn't know.

*ooer missues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 15:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pod wrote:
Steamed burgers? Sounds disgusting. Infact, I've never had steamed meat* so I wouldn't know.
*ooer missues

Ever had steak in a restaurant? By cooking the steak in steam it will cook to medium and then not cook any more. They flash-fry the outsides when you order it.
In some restaurants, obv.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 15:10 

Steamed hams eh?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 15:26 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:
Pod wrote:
*ooer missues

Ever had steak in a restaurant? By cooking the steak in steam it will cook to medium and then not cook any more. They flash-fry the outsides when you order it.

Not in the restaurants I worked in ;)
We used to deep fry well done chops for a bit in order ot help them crisp up. Why? Well, they;d just been in the microwave, see.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 17:00 
Excellently Membered

Pod wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Pod wrote:
*ooer missues

Not in the restaurants I worked in ;)
We used to deep fry well done chops for a bit in order ot help them crisp up. Why? Well, they;d just been in the microwave, see.....

The things you learn at work, eh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 17:16 
lazy eye patch

How to give a room full of people the shits, apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 17:17 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Hint: Don't eat at a Bryewyer's Fayre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:59 
Excellent Member

Next time I'm in the US I really want to try these things. They don't exactly have a ton of locations hence why Harold and Kumar have to go on such a long quest to get to one. There's another chain called Krystal which is meant to be similar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 19:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Such a good film.

There's nothing particularly wrong with any of the cooking methods mentioned in this thread, as long as you don't let the meat cool in between. I always steam or poach anything I'm going to cook on the barbecue, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 19:23 

Pod wrote:
Tell us more - I love workplace-related tales about eateries, and how unhygienic they are.

Mine are just of an American pizza delivery chain and pizza ordered by "foreign people" being spat in. Oh, and the GCSE-less 16 year old school leavers who worked there refusing to wash their hands before making food, and getting into near-tantrums about it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 19:27 
Chinny chin chin

Anonymous X wrote:
Pod wrote:
Tell us more - I love workplace-related tales about eateries, and how unhygienic they are.

Mine are just of an American pizza delivery chain and pizza ordered by "foreign people" being spat in. Oh, and the GCSE-less 16 year old school leavers who worked there refusing to wash their hands before making food, and getting into near-tantrums about it.

Perhaps we should have a B3TA style "question of the week".

Mr Mods sirs? Can we have a pinned B3TA style question of the week? Starting with "Tell us your workplace secrets?".

Go on.

Go on.

Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 19:30 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Nothing that bad. To be fair, it was fairly hygenic and entirely responsable. Infact I'd say it was a good place for not-being-shit. It's just it's a brewers fayre; it's McDonalds with placemats. They have a rule, for chirsts sake, that if you don't have your food after 10 minutes you can complain and get money off etc. Of course it was mega busy you would be told there was a delay, but the emphiisisis was on speed, speed, speed. So you cut corners :) Plus, everything was either fried, pre-cooked then reheated (usualy by frying or microwaving) - but always temperature probed, mind you, or cooked on the spot (Read: salad). In fact even those things were pre-prepared :P It's not like I ever shat in the gravy......

....I really didn't!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:01 

Pod wrote:
It's not like I ever shat in the gravy......

....I really didn't!
Speaking of which, that's why I never touch gravy, and wouldn't ever willingly consume it. The smell has always reminded me of excrement, basically.

Err, sorry.

Anyway. Ate at a terrible pub on Saturday. Been recently renovated. Used to be better than the nearby Harvester, just shabbier inside. So it's been redecorated to compete, removing all the nautical stuff. Which I vaguely liked, and it didn't cause a hygiene hazard as far as I could see. Also been repainted with "off white" paints to make it look lighter inside, which in fact make it look grubbier. Oh and the food portions have been cut by a third, and they couldn't cook anything we originally ordered because "the chef is still in Asda getting ingredients, and won't be back for another twenty minutes". FFS.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:12 

Molloy wrote:
Next time I'm in the US I really want to try these things. They don't exactly have a ton of locations hence why Harold and Kumar have to go on such a long quest to get to one. There's another chain called Krystal which is meant to be similar.

Yeah, I had a look while I was in Denver but there's none even in the state.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 21:32 
Honey Boo Boo

Steamed meat can be very nice, actually. One of the best kebab places in Cardiff puts their meat in a steam once it's cooked and it comes out hot and lovely.

Likewise, a lot of burger vans seem to steam their burgers, and slap them back on the grill for a few quick minutes to finish them off when you order them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 
making out to faces of death

They look like cheap catering van crap in that awful motivational video of White Castle people flipping burgers and high-fiving each other for burger awesomeness.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]