Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Could you be banned from the Internet?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 23:11 
Rakish Member

Quote:
Europeans suspected of putting movies and music on file-sharing networks could be thrown off the web under proposals before Brussels.

The powers are in a raft of laws that aim to harmonise the regulations governing Europe's telecom markets.

Other amendments added to the packet of laws allow governments to decide which software can be used on the web.

Campaigners say the laws trample on personal privacy and turn net suppliers into copyright enforcers.

I'm not quite sure how they would go about enforcing this.

How can they effectively ban someone from the Internet or ensure that only allowed software is used?

Post subject: Re: Could you be banned from the Internet?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 23:22 
Space detective

There have been people technically banned from the internet before now (most notoriously Kevin Mitnick, who hasn't done too badly out if it), but enforcing widescale bannings? It'll be the new Not Paying Your Poll Tax.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 0:44 
Rakish Member

I suppose they could treat it like a driving ban. There's nothing actually stopping someone hopping in a car and driving again, the risk is getting caught.

If your banned from the Internet, you can still access it if you choose to but if your caught doing so whilst banned, you will receive a harsher sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:33 
making out to faces of death

Will people convicted of actual crimes also be banned off the internet? Rapists, paedophiles, terrorists and gangsters welcome, music downloaders cast out of the most important comminication network in history.

Maybe I should get back to pulling fansubs of Initial D off of Veoh before it's too late. :ninja:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:16 
Excellent Member

I've heard of convicted criminals being banned from using the internet unsupervised as part of their punishment or as bail/parole/probation conditions, but that's a world away from keeping filesharers off the net. I suspect it will never happen, and the suggestion is just sabre-rattling.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:18 
INFINITE POWAH

It would have to be enforced by every ISP, every internet cafe, every one of those BT internet phones, those public information internet net booths, etc. An impossibility.

The ban on that criminal chap who scammed on eBay would rely on the police monitoring him. There's no other way of doing it, but they're frankly not going to spare the men to bother with it. I've no doubt he's already set up another eBay account.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:31 

New laws could force the use of thumb/fingerprint biometric readers (usb or bluetooth) on every internet connected computer, tied into the national identity database. ISPs could be required by law to refuse any connection without the proper token from the reader being confirmed. :ninja:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:36 
INFINITE POWAH

AceAceBaby wrote:
New laws could force the use of thumb/fingerprint biometric readers (usb or bluetooth) on every internet connected computer, tied into the national identity database. ISPs could be required by law to refuse any connection without the proper token from the reader being confirmed. :ninja:

New laws could also require people to take tests before they're unsterilised and allowed to have kids. But that's currently not technologically, practically or politically possible either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:

New laws could also require people to take tests before they're unsterilised and allowed to have kids. But that's currently not technologically, practically or politically possible either.

We're working on it though, right? Right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:42 

In Germany they already have a system where you have to go to the post office or wherever, and sign a form to state you're not a dangerous pervert before being provided with a dongle (fnar) that unblocks adult content websites for your viewing (ahem) pleasure. Australia has a country wide firewall (that doesn't really work... for now).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:45 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:

We're working on it though, right? Right?

Darn tootin', Cras. It's on my manifesto for when I become Prime Minister.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:50 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Chris wrote:
It would have to be enforced by every ISP, every internet cafe, every one of those BT internet phones, those public information internet net booths, etc. An impossibility.

The ban on that criminal chap who scammed on eBay would rely on the police monitoring him. There's no other way of doing it, but they're frankly not going to spare the men to bother with it. I've no doubt he's already set up another eBay account.

You could implement the ban by shooting them in the head - that would work. After all, that electrician fella never caused any more trouble, did he?

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]