Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: MySpeccy.com
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 16:51 
It's all pish

I thought somebody had posted a topic about this, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Anyway - http://myspeccy.com/. Not only can you play Speccy games in an on-line emulator, but the clever little thing saves your scores and uploads them to an online high score table. Compete with Spec-chums from around the world and realise how crap you really are!

I'm playing this more than my 360 at the moment.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

Post subject: Re: MySpeccy.com
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 17:08 
lazy eye patch

It's like LIVE! for the Speccy, in your browser, or something. I'm on it as CUS, if anyone wants to befriend me there; I've seen some other familiar folk about.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 17:19 
It's all pish

Befriended!

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 17:24 

This was mentioned on WoS, but for some reason I didn't bother to sign up. On it now as Joans, eager to find out how much worse I am at speccy games than I used to be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 17:30 
Hibernating Druid

Very good, but I think I'll wait for myc64 though ;)

This is awesome: Image

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 17:53 
Serious Little Beast

That's excellent. In other news, I just worked out how to use lifts in Dan Dare - only took me twenty years or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 18:29 
Kvnt

Just signed up as Klatrymadon. I love that the default avatar was Batman. :DD

(Do kinda wish online Java-based stuff supported USB controller input, though. As blasphemous as that may sound. :p)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 0:03 
Sleepyhead

I played "Way of the Exploding Fist".

I doubt I will ever visit an emulator site again. It was dreadful. I genuinely can't believe that a human being would have ever parted with money for something so utterly unplayable.

There's a reason it's called progress...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 0:11 
Kvnt

Steady on, mate. You don't want to sound like a 15-year-old American Halo fan. Try another game; loads of Speccy stuff still holds up well. :p

(BTW: anybody who thinks videogames have 'progressed' as an art form beyond 1994's Super Metroid is wrong.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:11 
Where are you?

I interviewed Jops a couple of weeks back, and he made the point about comparing the progress of videogames between 1985 and 1995 with that of 1995 to 2005. Just thinking about that is pretty depressing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:54 

Curiosity wrote:
I played "Way of the Exploding Fist".

I doubt I will ever visit an emulator site again. It was dreadful. I genuinely can't believe that a human being would have ever parted with money for something so utterly unplayable.

There's a reason it's called progress...

People paid money for Rise of the Robots 10 years later and for 15,000 clones of Nintendo Brain Training now... nothing's changed there. 90% of everything is still crap, now we can go back with hindsight. That said, I do agree, the average game now is massively better than 10 years ago, and even more so over 20.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:00 
lazy eye patch

CraigGrannell wrote:
I interviewed Jops a couple of weeks back, and he made the point about comparing the progress of videogames between 1985 and 1995 with that of 1995 to 2005. Just thinking about that is pretty depressing.

Meh, if you like first-person games, I don't see why that should be so terrible. 1980-1985 or so is when 'everything happened' - everything since has been a repeat, in more and better dimensions. (erm)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:36 
Kvnt

I was just being facetious, and a massive fanboy, but I certainly don't think any game has been more intelligently designed (in terms of the area layouts - which are always wonderfully interconnected, for those looking closely enough - the art direction, the hands-off 'storytelling' and the sheer scope for repeat play-throughs) than SM.

I don't want to derail the thread, though, so I'll happily retract that statement if any Wrongoloids kick up a stink.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 
Where are you?

CUS wrote:
Meh, if you like first-person games, I don't see why that should be so terrible. 1980-1985 or so is when 'everything happened' - everything since has been a repeat, in more and better dimensions. (erm)

To clarify, Jops was saying "look at the massive amount of progress games made between '85 and '95", referencing all kinds of new gameplay types—God sims, etc.—and then compare that to the utter stagnation between '95 and now. His thinking is that there's basically been no progress at all since 1995, with a few exceptions, due to an ultra-conservative market. I really wish one of the mags would 'buy' my more general interview stuff with him, because he has some great stuff to say. Maybe I'll get it on Revert to Saved one day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:18 
Skillmeister

CraigGrannell wrote:
I really wish one of the mags would 'buy' my more general interview stuff with him, because he has some great stuff to say.

I bid £2!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 16:34 
Sleepyhead

Klatrymadon wrote:
Steady on, mate. You don't want to sound like a 15-year-old American Halo fan. Try another game; loads of Speccy stuff still holds up well. :p

Yes, sorry, bit of an overreaction by me there due to having drunk too much wine and stuff.

Can you (or anyone else) please recommend some games from that site that don't suck?

In return, I really recommend not playing "Way of the Exploding Fist".

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 16:36 
Sleepyhead

CraigGrannell wrote:

This and your subsequent post should form the basis of an interesting new thread.

*nods*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 17:29 
Where are you?

Dimrill wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
I really wish one of the mags would 'buy' my more general interview stuff with him, because he has some great stuff to say.

I bid £2!

Well, if (and that's a big if) I get the time to write the thing up, it'll be free on Revert to Saved. However, I've got 6000 words of Jops stuff that's unused, so that's a lot of work. (Same goes for my Alexey Pajitnov and Mike Mignola articles, although I might do something on the latter for the Hellboy II release date.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 19:44 
Comfortably Dumb

It's good to see that time hasn't affected my speccy gaming skills.
(I'm still rubbish)

I'm devilman on there too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 22:05 

Curiosity wrote:
Klatrymadon wrote:

Yes, sorry, bit of an overreaction by me there due to having drunk too much wine and stuff.

Can you (or anyone else) please recommend some games from that site that don't suck?

In return, I really recommend not playing "Way of the Exploding Fist".

:)

I think it's mostly a matter of nostalgia. It's unlikely I'm going to play anything on there that I didn't play 20+ years ago (weeps) unless someone recommends it.
Chuckie Egg is quite highly regarded and I've just had made it to the giddying heights of number 13 on the leaderboards far surpassing anything I ever managed when I was a kid (wait, the birds and that duck are after me? *runs*).

Oh, and Manic Miner. If you don't like them, then it might not be for you.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]