I would be able to play on...
Mon Apr 11th 30%  30%  [ 8 ]
Tue Apr 12th 30%  30%  [ 8 ]
Wed Apr 13th 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Thu Apr 14th 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: Unreal Tournament III -- gaming tonight Tue 12th May
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 15:44 

Edit -- I'm going to use this first post to link to resources, tutorials, etc of interest to the UT3 owning bezzies.

Is anyone here thinking of picking up the 360 version? Particularly if it drops in price fast, which it shows every sign of doing so?[/spoiler]

Glyndwr's Quick guide to playing Warfare mode
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Warfare maps have two bases, with a power core in each, and a series of linked nodes between them; when you start the game the nodes are all white, showing them as uncaptured. You can capture any node that links to a node you already own, so initally, that's just the one node outside your base you can get -- this one is important so it's called the Prime node. On a typical map each side will have their own Prime node and then there'll be a centre node between them. So, at the start of the game, you capture your Prime node and the other team capture theirs, then you meet in the centre node and have a scrap. The goal is to capture the centre node so you can attack the enemy Prime node; once you capture that, you can finally attack the enemy power core. Whilst you're doing that, the enemy will be both trying to repel people attacking their core and trying to take back the Prime node. If they get the Prime node back, the core will be immediately protected again, so the attacking team needs to be wary and keep some people back to defend.

Right, so capturing nodes. Capturing an uncontested node (shown as white on your minimap and glowing gold in the game) is easy. Just walk over the base; it starts at zero health and gradually heals itself. It's often important to make it build faster by shooting it with the Link Gun alt-fire, running into it with the Orb (more on this in a moment), or using vehicles -- the Nightshade primary fire or Scavenger primary fire. On the other hand, to destroy a Node under enemy control shoot the base or the shielded part above, but note some weapons will do more damage than others (vehicle weapons, flak cannon, rocket launcher, shock rifle and link gun are good). Nodes under fire will not allow enemy players to spawn there if the damage occurs at least every 5 seconds but you can still teleport to it as long as you control it.

There are two complications on top of these rules.

The first are support nodes. These are not linked to other nodes, so do not form part of the main map, but do other things if you can capture and hold them. Some of them spawn more powerful vehicles than you get at the normal nodes, for example, or lower a bridge to allow you to get your big tank in the enemy base. Others (called countdown nodes) start a timer when they are captured. Hold until the timer reaches zero, and something good happens, like damage is dealt to the enemy's power core directly, even if it's shielded.

The second complication is orbs, which can be picked up from your base or from some nodes if you control them. The orb is basically your teams "node superweapon" with two features; take it to a neutral or hostile node and it will instantly capture it, right up to full health. Or, take it to a friendly node and as long as you stay alive nearby it will shield that node from all harm (this, of course, paints a pretty big target on your head). Orbs can't be carried in vehicles so you have the choice of foot, hoverboard, or (fastest) grappling to a vehicle to get around the map with it. Just be careful as orb carriers are shown on the minimap and project a tall beam of light so it's pretty obvious where they are on the map. You can sit in a beam or rocket turret with an orb, however.

If you kill an enemy orb carrier -- and you should always be on the lookout for an enemy orb coming in to a node your team controls -- the orb will be left on the floor, ready for another enemy to pick it up. You have two options. Either make sure no-one picks it up until the little timeout that appears above it counts down (this is risky), or run over to it and press X to destroy it. However you die in the process. Note that there is an achievement for doing that 100 times though!

The orbs provide a way to break stalemates and provide some extremely heart-pounding runs, skating into enemy bases on a

A tactical guide to each Warfare and vCTF map can be found here. These are big pictures of each map, showing where weapons, vehicles, etc spawn.

Aha! I found a pretty good all-encompassing game guide at CustomPC.com. The site is throwing up a "login" request for some reason, but if you click cancel that goes away and you can read the article.

Original post content follows.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Gngh. Eurogamer gave this 8/10.. I was kinda hoping it would be shit. But now it turns out to be quite good. Now, I played a lot of this on the PS3 (until I stupidly lost my disc, which I have not yet re-discovered). I love it, really love it, I have always loved the UT games. But there are almost no opponents (literally, it flopped hard) and certainly no Bezzie mates. In the end I got CoD4 and went looked back.

Post subject: Re: Unreal Tournament III
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 15:47 
UltraMod

I don't know, I've never played a UT game before. Sell it to me (not literally).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 15:47 
That Rev Chap

Unless everybody starts to play it exclusively, I'll probably wait until it's under a tenner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 15:49 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm not entirely convinced that you'll all still be playing 360s next week, so I'm buying nuffink.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 15:53 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I played the PC version way back when, and I preferred UT2k4.

Actually my favourite is still Unreal Tournament (the first one).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 15:53 

myoptika wrote:
I don't know, I've never played a UT game before. Sell it to me (not literally).
It's old school. Health points and heal packs and pickup guns and you spawn with a pea shooter. Ludicrous sci-fi weapons, very Gears-ish visual style (chunky guys in massive armour with no necks and huge guns), some fantastic vehicles (huge big tanks, with one driver and one gunner, and massive big alien walker things that look like Tripods). It has excellent team modes, based around capturing nodes on a map, and much larger maps than, say, CoD.

And compared to every other console shooter ever it's incredibly fucking fast. It makes Halo and CoD and all the others feel so sluggish by comparison.

Oh, and it has very good bot support, so even if only the Bezzies bought it we could just play botmatches. If we custom coded the bots to call us names it'd be just like publics.

The Rev Owen wrote:
Unless everybody starts to play it exclusively, I'll probably wait until it's under a tenner.
If the sales follow the PS3 and PC formats you won't have long to wait.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 16:09 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I loved the original on the PC. I played the second briefly, but never had a PC capable of running it. I may well be looking to pick this up if it is at all like the original.

I played a version on the PS2 which was horrendous, really fucking awful, can't recall it's name, but if it is anything like that I wouldn't even take it for free!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 16:11 

Bobbyaro wrote:
I loved the original on the PC. I played the second briefly, but never had a PC capable of running it. I may well be looking to pick this up if it is at all like the original.
I think it is. Certainly more like a PC shooter than a console shooter, if you see what I mean (mainly based on speed).

Quote:
I played a version on the PS2 which was horrendous, really fucking awful, can't recall it's name, but if it is anything like that I wouldn't even take it for free!
No, it's nothing like any other console Unreal game!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 16:18 
EvilTrousers

Much as I've always loved the Flak Cannon I can't see me picking it up due to the fact that it is so stupidly fast and I am so very old these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 17:24 
Time Out for Fun

sorry for slightly off topic but has anyone got or tempted by battlefield either? Ive got 30 quid hmv vouchers and will probably go with the majority if theres going to be some bezzie friends action.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 17:25 
INFINITE POWAH

I have BF2 and BF 1942 on the PC, and both are excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 17:26 
Time Out for Fun

I meant the brand spanking new 'bad company' xbox 360 version

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 17:29 

I enjoyed the demo but it won't be getting 30 of my quids off me though. Maybe 20.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 21:25 
Paws for thought

I would certainly be interested in UTIII. I nearly bought it for the ps3, but the only person I knew who had it was the Gaywood, and he didn't accept my friend request :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 21:27 

Mr Dave wrote:
I would certainly be interested in UTIII. I nearly bought it for the ps3, but the only person I knew who had it was the Gaywood, and he didn't accept my friend request :(
...and now I have but I can't find my disc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 21:32 
UltraMod

Ok, sounds interesting. I'll pick it up when it's about £15. Same for Battlefield: BC, I think.

Post subject: UT3602MOZ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 23:26 

Who's getting Unreal Tournament tomorrow? I've given the PC version a miss so far, (barring a few games on my mate's PC) because my PC is gash and behind the times. So, I was quite looking forward to the 360 version. Imagine my delight when I realised it's out tomorrow. Yay!

BETEO UT 360?! Who's with me?

Post subject: Re: UT3602MOZ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 23:53 
Rakish Member

Here

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 0:08 
UltraMod

Merged.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 0:09 

fuckaduck. Sorry!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 0:10 

Anyway, I'm getting it. Bezzies away! Also, Instagib is where it's at. For a true test of reactions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:53 
INFINITE POWAH

I hadn't heard of Battlefield: BC, but having looked at it - I'm getting it.

Fully deformable structures! Finally!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:55 
INFINITE POWAH

[edit] Darned double posts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:55 
UltraMod

My reactions have been dulled by age and inactivity. Am I going to find this hellishly frustrating if I already find CoD 4 quite hectic?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:43 

myoptika wrote:
Am I going to find this hellishly frustrating if I already find CoD 4 quite hectic?
You may find instagib (one shot kill with slow firing weapons) hard work; it's very very twitch reflex biased. But that's an optional game mode. The rest of them aren't that bad.

Notably, it's a lot easier to spot people than in CoD4 -- in that game, I lose a lot of kills because I still find it quite hard to pick enemies out against the cluttered, busy level designs. I'm noticably better on my 22" TFT rather than the TV, actually, probably because I sit closer. I find that one of the more frustrating aspects of CoD4.

I'm not getting this today but I may pick it up in time if it comes around cheap. If indeed it does tank -- and I think it will, sadly -- it'll probably be in the £20ish bracket before too long. Sounds like a few people here would join me then...?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:44 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

myoptika wrote:
My reactions have been dulled by age and inactivity. Am I going to find this hellishly frustrating if I already find CoD 4 quite hectic?

Yeah, very likely, but unlike CoD, it is actually designed to be a hectic run around.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:54 

I'm getting this on my lunch break. Balls to the bargain-waiters!

I didn't think much of the new Battlefield game, but I imagine it's awesome fun online. SOOO, I may have to pick that up as well. Damn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:06 
That Rev Chap

I put this on my Lovefilm rental with high priority so I might see it one day. Maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:38 
Skillmeister

I AGREE WITH MYOPTIKA. You can sig that if you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:40 
UltraMod

Nah, you're all right.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 
Skillmeister

Permission revoked.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:53 
UltraMod

Dimrill wrote:
Permission revoked.

You lose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:39 
Time Out for Fun

The Rev Owen wrote:
I put this on my Lovefilm rental with high priority so I might see it one day. Maybe.

So have I for the time being, although so far they have decided to give me lost and condemned 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:45 
That Rev Chap

Runcle wrote:
So have I for the time being, although so far they have decided to give me lost and condemned 2.

They're sending me Stardust on HD-DVD today. I wanted a game. Hmpf.

(I suppose I could do separate lists for movies and games and then tell them when I want a game, not a movie, but that's far too much hassle.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:58 
Hibernating Druid

Stardust is pretty good, watched it a couple of weeks ago.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 13:02 
UltraMod

Yep, it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 13:03 
Gogmagog

I like UT a lot. Good it was.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 13:37 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

If other people get it, and it goes <£20, I will probably pick it up too. UT is pretty good fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 13:52 
Paws for thought

myoptika wrote:

It will be, but then again, you'll be playing against us lot for the most part. And we're all slow old men, unlike you, you big girl.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:04 
Excellent Painter

richardgaywood wrote:
Gngh. Eurogamer gave this 8/10.. I was kinda hoping it would be shit. But now it turns out to be quite good. Now, I played a lot of this on the PS3 (until I stupidly lost my disc, which I have not yet re-discovered). I love it, really love it, I have always loved the UT games. But there are almost no opponents (literally, it flopped hard) and certainly no Bezzie mates. In the end I got CoD4 and went looked back.

Is anyone here thinking of picking up the 360 version? Particularly if it drops in price fast, which it shows every sign of doing so?

Only if you buy me a copy you gluebag :nerd:

I bought it on the PS3 import because you raved about it and you took three fucking months to buy (about a month after the Pal release) it yourself and after all that we managed what, one decent game online. And now you've lost your disc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:06 

DBSnappa wrote:
I bought it on the PS3 import because you raved about it and you took three fucking months to buy (about a month after the Pal release) it yourself and after all that we managed what, one decent game online. And now you've lost your disc.
I had it for my birthday, hence the three months later bit. And I had a dozen decent online session, you were just never around for them or snubbed my SMSs.

The rest is true though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:06 
UltraMod

Knowing how much PS3 games cost, you could probably trade it in and buy the 360 version without having to pay any extra money...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:14 
Excellent Painter

myoptika wrote:
Knowing how much PS3 games cost, you could probably trade it in and buy the 360 version without having to pay any extra money...

Hmm, it's merkin, but I am going into the West End on Monday so I could pop into Cex - the problem is they don't stock new games anymore I don't think.

Anyway, I'm just warning everybody to be wary of Gaywood and his 'buy this it's great' rhetoric :DD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

myoptika wrote:
Knowing how much PS3 games cost, you could probably trade it in and buy a 360 and the 360 version without having to pay any extra money...

OFTFY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:49 
lazy eye patch

Hey! Wait - is UTIII out, or coming out soon, then? *rubs eyes blearily*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

CUS wrote:
Hey! Wait - is UTIII out, or coming out soon, then? *rubs eyes blearily*

It's out - I just saw it in Game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:52 
lazy eye patch

Excellent, I'll grab that in about 2 hours then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 16:27 
Skillmeister

I've just posted the first price reduction in the bargains thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 16:30 
Paws for thought

Incidentally, what's this coop mode I'm hearing about in UTIII?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 16:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Dave wrote:
Incidentally, what's this coop mode I'm hearing about in UTIII?

It's got a co-op campaign, both online and split-screen. 2 player split screen, not sure how many online.

Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next