Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 15:42 
Awesome
User avatar
Yes

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11976
We have a mouse in our shed. Has anyone got any recommendations for humane mouse traps?
I saw these (https://smile.amazon.co.uk/TOPELEK-Reus ... 07XH17H8N/) and they seem ideal, but has anyone actually got any experience with a specific trap as I don't want to just buy the cheapest or first thing I find.

_________________
Always proof read carefully in case you any words out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 15:50 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16593
Location: Parts unknown
I had a mouse or two in my house once. I think I posted here about it but I didn't use humane traps so I won't be much use here.

Good luck with getting rid of it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 16:10 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10167
Location: Devon
Be careful with humane mouse traps, as once you have caught it, I am pretty sure it's a crime to release it. I'll see if I can find the regulations

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 16:15 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10167
Location: Devon
ah, It's squirrels I am thinking of.

However, this article: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ng.comment

suggest that using Rodent Activated Detection and Riddance device (RADAR) is the most humane thing to do.

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 16:36 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Hmmm, I really don’t want to kill the poor thing. It’s in the shed, not the house, and I’d happily let it live there if it wasn’t chewing through everything, and I really don’t want to to chew through a wire and make anything dangerous. Plus anytime I pick up a bag of anything it all falls out as mousetrap has chewed the bottom out. I saw him, and he’s only a wee little thing.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 17:07 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48858
If you've seen it, they're not that tricky to catch by hand. One hand waving in front of it to distract it, grab its tail with the other. When I had cats I'd be liberating mice and evicting them about once a week during the summer

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 17:14 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
I’m absolutely happy to try and catch it by hand, but… hold on, a picture paints a thousand words…

The previous owner built this shelf, about 8cm off the ground and about 60cm deep, in an attempt to make what I can only assume is a mouse hotel.

I think any movement is just going to send the mouse under there.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 17:21 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Found something in the cupboard. Would this work? :D


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 18:41 
User avatar
Hello

Joined: 14th Oct, 2008
Posts: 6950
Location: You're a location
I had some success at uni using a bucket with steep sides and peanut butter inside the bucket. And a way for the mouse to get inside the bucket. However we released it and it just came back, so you'd be best off releasing it miles away if possible.

_________________
Game Over man, Game over!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 18:41 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 4467
Yep, I reckon you can shove Darwin under the shelf. He looks pretty slim.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 18:45 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
That’s part of the problem. That’s where he sleeps. ;)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 18:45 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
nickachu wrote:
I had some success at uni using a bucket with steep sides and peanut butter inside the bucket. And a way for the mouse to get inside the bucket. However we released it and it just came back, so you'd be best off releasing it miles away if possible.

Hmm… maybe we’ll have to go on a little car jaunt.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 19:01 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 16290
Location: Oxford
The strangely-compelling Mousetrap Monday Youtube channel caters to all your rodent disposal needs, although I appreciate that some people don't want to see kill traps in use.

Nikachu's suggestion of a bucket-drop trap is a good one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 19:20 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Hmm, no, I don’t fancy a kill trap. They’re ok when the Slow Mo Guys use them on themselves. That’s about it.

Darwin loves some YouTube channel where someone makes really incredible escape mazes for hamsters.

We bought a humane mouse trap on Snazin, so we’ll give that a go, and if not, we’ll get a bucket in play.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 20:00 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 37323
Mimi wrote:
That’s part of the problem. That’s where he sleeps. ;)

Get that boy a proper bedroom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 20:02 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Nah. I spent all that time decorating it. I don’t want him messing it all up now!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:10 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47200
Location: Cheshire
Mimi wrote:
nickachu wrote:
I had some success at uni using a bucket with steep sides and peanut butter inside the bucket. And a way for the mouse to get inside the bucket. However we released it and it just came back, so you'd be best off releasing it miles away if possible.

Hmm… maybe we’ll have to go on a little car jaunt.


That could end up being daily car jaunts.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:22 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 4832
Location: , Location, Location.
Or buy a cage and keep it as a pet.

_________________
Just laugh if you're mad.. Now with added video link.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:43 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 4467
Or buy a cat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:04 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:
nickachu wrote:
I had some success at uni using a bucket with steep sides and peanut butter inside the bucket. And a way for the mouse to get inside the bucket. However we released it and it just came back, so you'd be best off releasing it miles away if possible.

Hmm… maybe we’ll have to go on a little car jaunt.


That could end up being daily car jaunts.


It’s the first mouse we’ve had in the shed but it’s pretty inevitable. If I could move the shed elsewhere I’d happily let him live there.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:05 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Or buy a cat.

Here’s something that not a lot of people know about me…

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I really, really don’t like pets

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:06 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16593
Location: Parts unknown
That mouse won't just be content with staying in the shed though. He'll be in your house before too long where it's warmer... and he'll bring his mouse wife... and mouse babies... and their babies... and their babies babies.

I'd get a cat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:08 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10167
Location: Devon
I would seriously consider a humane death trap, as catch and release can be stressful for the mouse and often leads to their slow death (as mentioned in that article I posted before)

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:09 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
TheVision wrote:
That mouse won't just be content with staying in the shed though. He'll be in your house before too long where it's warmer... and he'll bring his mouse wife... and mouse babies... and their babies... and their babies babies.

I'd get a cat.


But… that’s why Russell started this thread and why we are trying to get rid of it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:14 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 37323
Mimi wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Or buy a cat.

Here’s something that not a lot of people know about me…

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I really, really don’t like pets

Right there with you on that one, Meems. I don't like the idea of animals living in the house. I know that puts me in a tiny minority in the UK especially, but I will never deliberately have a pet. I have long resisted the call for dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters etc. Just not for me at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:20 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Malc wrote:
I would seriously consider a humane death trap, as catch and release can be stressful for the mouse and often leads to their slow death (as mentioned in that article I posted before)

Malc wrote:
I would seriously consider a humane death trap, as catch and release can be stressful for the mouse and often leads to their slow death (as mentioned in that article I posted before)

Have you ever used one? Because when I Googled them they weren’t for sale over here and cost $1600.

I do not want the mouse to be stressed, but carbon monoxide poisoning seems generally really unpleasant if human victims are anything to go by. Also PETA are the last animal rights organisation I would listen to.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:22 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
DavPaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Or buy a cat.

Here’s something that not a lot of people know about me…

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I really, really don’t like pets

Right there with you on that one, Meems. I don't like the idea of animals living in the house. I know that puts me in a tiny minority in the UK especially, but I will never deliberately have a pet. I have long resisted the call for dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters etc. Just not for me at all.


Oh thank God. I thought I was the only person in the U.K. who didn’t buy a dog last year and wondered if part of me was broken.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:45 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 6201
We're currently using a cheapo "Big Cheese" live-catch trap to try to extract a mouse that's got under our wardrobe. I will report back on it's results!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:51 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47200
Location: Cheshire
A scientist I once knew was doing stuff about the brain and how the neurons interact using mice as a model. I think her preferred route to getting the brains into the blender was snapping the neck (like opening a bottle against the edge of a table) as it produced considerably less stress hormones. So a snap trap could be the same.

I use snap traps and poisoned food, here, but the poison might be less than stellar outside. Indeed, I mentioned this to a friend who brought her dog over but she said the 30kg dog would have to eat packets of it, and after that I have been curious as to what it tastes like.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:13 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10167
Location: Devon
Mimi wrote:
Malc wrote:
I would seriously consider a humane death trap, as catch and release can be stressful for the mouse and often leads to their slow death (as mentioned in that article I posted before)

Malc wrote:
I would seriously consider a humane death trap, as catch and release can be stressful for the mouse and often leads to their slow death (as mentioned in that article I posted before)

Have you ever used one? Because when I Googled them they weren’t for sale over here and cost $1600.

I do not want the mouse to be stressed, but carbon monoxide poisoning seems generally really unpleasant if human victims are anything to go by. Also PETA are the last animal rights organisation I would listen to.



Ah, when I searched for them I should have realised that the adverts at the top were not for the product, sorry I was not aware that they were so expensive.

I do think a quick death is more humane than a stressful extended slow death though.

When we had issues, I hated the fact that the kindest option was to kill them quickly. But they can be really dangerous to leave around, and anything else other than a quick death really is worse imo.

These house mice really do need to live in someone's house to survive, so even if you release it and it survives, you've just made it someone else's problem.

It's a problem with no easy solutions :(

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:30 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 6201
Squirt wrote:
We're currently using a cheapo "Big Cheese" live-catch trap to try to extract a mouse that's got under our wardrobe. I will report back on it's results!

Hmm, it turned out that the brute of a cat that brought the bloody thing in to begin with is a more effective mouse trap than the actual mouse trap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:40 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Malc wrote:
I would seriously consider a humane death trap, as catch and release can be stressful for the mouse and often leads to their slow death (as mentioned in that article I posted before)

Malc wrote:
I would seriously consider a humane death trap, as catch and release can be stressful for the mouse and often leads to their slow death (as mentioned in that article I posted before)

Have you ever used one? Because when I Googled them they weren’t for sale over here and cost $1600.

I do not want the mouse to be stressed, but carbon monoxide poisoning seems generally really unpleasant if human victims are anything to go by. Also PETA are the last animal rights organisation I would listen to.



Ah, when I searched for them I should have realised that the adverts at the top were not for the product, sorry I was not aware that they were so expensive.

I do think a quick death is more humane than a stressful extended slow death though.

When we had issues, I hated the fact that the kindest option was to kill them quickly. But they can be really dangerous to leave around, and anything else other than a quick death really is worse imo.

These house mice really do need to live in someone's house to survive, so even if you release it and it survives, you've just made it someone else's problem.

It's a problem with no easy solutions :(



It’s not in our house.

Quite apart from not wanting squashed mice everywhere I’ve heard far too many accounts of ‘not quite dead’ mice being found a day or two later. I don’t know enough to guess where that rates on the ‘humane’ scale, but the descriptions sound pretty upsetting to both human and mouse.

I have a five year old that is constantly in the shed looking for tools, toys, compost etc who I don’t want to keep away from part of his garden because there are traps that may be a danger to him.

Is (perhaps, when it works) snapping the neck more humane than trapping them? Maybe it is. I’d be surmising if I were to guess (though my guess would be for the percentage of times it doesn’t work, no). But do those kill traps work for my family in this situation? Not that I can see. I want to do the right thing here, but part of the right thing does involve looking after the humans that use that space as well.

I ordered a live trap in the end that’s got plenty of living space and ventilation, just had to guess at the style but was Amazon’s recommended one so went with that with no better guide, and if that doesn’t work I’ll look up the one that Squirt mentioned and try that if the reports show any promise.


EDIT: if Squirt’s cat hasn’t got there first.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:49 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10167
Location: Devon
Family security is definitely a consideration. Everybody needs to come to their own conclusion as to what works for them and their circumstances.

I hope you (or Squirt's Cat) get it sorted

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:51 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10167
Location: Devon
Oh and sorry if I came across as preachy, I didn't mean to, but if I did, I'm going to blame it staying up late and getting up early for the last week and a half watching the olympics!

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:58 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 37323
The snappy traps I used when we had mice in the garage had no room for escape. They squashed the poor little freeloaders flat.

I had the traps baited with cheese for a few days and the mice ignored them, so I swapped it for peanut butter and in the time it took me to turn off the light and walk into the kitchen, the mouse had set off the trap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 13:05 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 6201
These ones probably cause a pretty quick death, but I can understand reluctance in using them around 5 year olds.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 13:06 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Malc wrote:
Oh and sorry if I came across as preachy, I didn't mean to, but if I did, I'm going to blame it staying up late and getting up early for the last week and a half watching the olympics!

Not preachy, but the relative nature of what’s humane seems quite subjective and also might differ in circumstances which perhaps Russell hadn’t fully explained in regards to individual household and family situation and where the mouse was actually located, perhaps confused further by the RADAR trap being inaccessible (spendy, unavailable) to begin with.

I think what Russell should maybe have said was ‘we will be buying a no-kill mouse trap, has anyone ever used one or does anyone know which are the more effective?’. To be honest, someone here would almost certainly still have suggested buying a 360.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 13:13 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 6201
It was this one - https://www.toolstation.com/the-big-che ... rap/p89616.

No idea how well it works yet, but it seems pretty simple so I doubt there's much to go wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 13:16 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10167
Location: Devon
I was just coming at it from the point of view, that I wanted the same thing as you did when I had a similar issue, and then I changed my mind when I read more about it. I was trying to bring it to your attention as you may not have been aware of it. I don't think I did a very good job of researching and explaining what I was trying to say.

And reading it back I think it either comes across as preachy or just plain dickish, Neither of those things were my intention.

As I said before, I can only put it down to lack of sleep, sorry once again.

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 14:41 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 4832
Location: , Location, Location.
We had a couple of those ultrasonic mouse scarers, a bit like those things they use in the ghettos to annoy the kids who hang around the local Spar, graffitiing the walls and asking older people to buy cigs for them. Old people can't hear the screetch, apparently.

So we had these plug-in things in the garage and kitchen for years and they seemed to be fairly effective at encouraging rodents to go elsewhere.

_________________
Just laugh if you're mad.. Now with added video link.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 14:49 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 16290
Location: Oxford
If you have one, set up a trail cam to test if the trap's in the right location or working properly. Or just to see what other nocturnal visitors you get.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 15:41 
User avatar
Hibernating Druid

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48428
Location: Standing on your mother's Porsche
Warhead wrote:
We had a couple of those ultrasonic mouse scarers

Do they work on normal mice too?

_________________
SD&DG Illustrated! Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 16:25 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Malc wrote:
I was just coming at it from the point of view, that I wanted the same thing as you did when I had a similar issue, and then I changed my mind when I read more about it. I was trying to bring it to your attention as you may not have been aware of it. I don't think I did a very good job of researching and explaining what I was trying to say.

And reading it back I think it either comes across as preachy or just plain dickish, Neither of those things were my intention.

As I said before, I can only put it down to lack of sleep, sorry once again.


It’s fine, Malc. We’re all just doing our best, wanting to do the right thing. Please don’t feel you need to apologise x

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 16:28 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Kern wrote:
If you have one, set up a trail cam to test if the trap's in the right location or working properly. Or just to see what other nocturnal visitors you get.

I do have one, as it happens. The shed is only 180cm square, so it’s not got a whole load of choice as far as space is concerned because with the shelves and the weird floor shelf around three of the walls the standing space is about 80cm.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 16:29 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Warhead wrote:
We had a couple of those ultrasonic mouse scarers, a bit like those things they use in the ghettos to annoy the kids who hang around the local Spar, graffitiing the walls and asking older people to buy cigs for them. Old people can't hear the screetch, apparently.

So we had these plug-in things in the garage and kitchen for years and they seemed to be fairly effective at encouraging rodents to go elsewhere.


I might looking at getting one of those for the garage as the garage door to floor clearance is such that I myself could probably roll under it like Indiana Jones.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 23:33 
User avatar
Sitting balls-back folder

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9542
This may be a little much, so feel free to skip over. Essentially while we are experienced with rodents it's not in a way that answers your question, mimi.

Having working fields all around us we can't rely on humane trap and release, especially when mice love our loft - including the one that bit into the lighting ring and nearly burned the house down. Ultrasonic repellents don't work.

We've rewired the loft to minimise fire risk, we've reinsulated with recycled PET stuff that is less tasty than rock wool and put mesh across run spaces as we go to deter them.

Snap traps were our go to as "least inhumane" until there was a weird clattering that took ages to track down, which turned out to be a mouse trying to get back out of the loft with a trap clamped on its neck (that one we did take to the far end of the garden and release, the poor little guy). Now they're second line.

We decided to put bait boxes dotted around outside. We don't like that they probably suffer along the way but we were putting at least 3-5 bodies in the bin a week before, at least now they get a tasty last meal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:33 
User avatar
Can you dig it?

Joined: 5th Apr, 2008
Posts: 4078
MaliA wrote:
A scientist I once knew was doing stuff about the brain and how the neurons interact using mice as a model. I think her preferred route to getting the brains into the blender was snapping the neck (like opening a bottle against the edge of a table) as it produced considerably less stress hormones.


Aye, 'cervical dislocation' is generally the method used in many/most labs that use mice (certainly the ones I've worked with), although it's not commonly done for large numbers of animals.

I used to be in the 'humane trap' camp but that changed; and now if I ever need to deal with it, I go for a snap trap (one that has a very strong spring, so it's powerful - for instant effect). Generally the two dogs and one cat tend to minimise any little visitors, which is preferable to me.

_________________
rumours about the high quality of the butter reached Yerevan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:01 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 23557
Well, the trap came last night, and this morning this wee little guy was inside, quite chilled. He’s been taken on a drive and let out into a field where I hope he has a second shot at things at least. He had some chocolate covered raisins dipped in peanut butter and some sunflower seeds in the trap. I got an extra large trap, slightly different from the size and design of the one Russell put in the first post, in case I or anyone else ever needs a recommendation for the future: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H82VWW6


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:27 
Best
User avatar
Board Mother

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11053
Location: Mount Olympus
Yay! Great news. :)

_________________
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GJ is right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:22 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 4832
Location: , Location, Location.
No wonder you caught him, with that feast in there.

_________________
Just laugh if you're mad.. Now with added video link.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Pod People and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen. RIP, MrC.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.