Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Mouse Traps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:49 

No double trap action, but double mouse action because I managed to just walk up to this little guy and catch him. He is TINY. About the size of a pound coin.

He let me take his photo first.

I stood and watched and I think I know where they are coming from. Next door has an extension with a bathroom and there is a ventilation hose. That hose was cemented into the wall, but in the storms last week I found a load of cement/mortar in our garden, and it’s all come from there. I just watched the little guy come out of there and walk down behind the shed and then just stand looking at me.

I’ve spoken to the woman next door and I’m going to see if my mum’s husband and Russell can fill in the hole with cement as though it’s the side of her house you can only actually access it from our garden. At the very least it will stop them getting into her house. She showed me where the vent came into her house and the vent itself has a fine grill on it, but there is a huge gap around it of about 5cm, so the last thing you want is mice inside.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 13:52 
sneering elitist

It might just be the perspective of the photo but that looks more like a vole than a mouse :) not that you want them living in your house either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 15:05 

Oh, really? I’ve just had a Google and I don’t think I can tell enough of a difference to know either way. He was tiny. Not had them in the house, luckily, just the garden/shed.

I do have some other pictures…

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 15:17 
sneering elitist

Voles tend to have stubbier faces, although they usually have shorter tails too so with the second picture I'm not sure! Either way, he's very cute. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 17:36 

This thread reminds me of a place I heard about in the Netherlands a long time ago. An old windmill, if I remember correctly...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 20:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

If there's a hole you suspect they're getting in through, fill it with wire wool in the mean time. They won't be able to chew through that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 20:14 

Kern wrote:
This thread reminds me of a place I heard about in the Netherlands a long time ago. An old windmill, if I remember correctly...

Funny you should say that as I found these right outside the shed door.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 20:16 

TheVision wrote:
If there's a hole you suspect they're getting in through, fill it with wire wool in the mean time. They won't be able to chew through that.

Oh really? I think the shed is more hole than structure, so there’s no chance there (it’s not actually joined into the adjoining wall so I think it’s technically two walls devised as a lean-to) but that might help with the neighbour, though will have to check it’s nothing that’ll rust it she’ll end up with rusty water running into her bathroom.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 22:42 
Sitting balls-back folder

The hole should be filled properly but a quick fix is to cram copper mesh in then squirt expanding foam in.

Doesn't rust and while copper is soft this stuff is super fine so will take ages to chew through and there's "evidence" they don't like chewing it.

As we've tried to block runs in the loft we've used this stuff to stuff/wrap areas the inflexible mesh doesn't seal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0714D6X3J/ ... uTVoyDaF9x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 23:01 

The copper mesh looks good. I don’t know if the neighbour will look at doing something long term, but due to the way the houses have been constructed and then extended there is no access to this part of her house without standing on our roof, so I think a partial fix that Russell and my mum’s husband can do will be better than nothing, and cramming quite a bit of that in there might be a good help until she can find someone to help in a more long-term way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 21:36 
Gogmagog

I was thinking to myself last night "It's been a while"...

I saw a mouse this morning running across kitchen floor, and just now I put a body in the bin as Mr Snappy did a job on it.

Will refill the special food night and set the numbered traps up.

There's a fella coming to look to squirt insulation under the floor so maybe that night change things. Who knows?

Humans 1-0 House Mice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:32 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

This little urchin has turned into a bit of a hunter - he goes out ranging across the scrubby wasteground behind our house, and brings back mice.

However, he often does this thing where he brings them in alive and then drops them for our Jack Russel, who then catches them and eats them, leaving cross chunks of mouse innards spread across the floor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:42 

Nope.

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3