Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 15:49 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 21034
Location: shropshire, uk
I am going to look at doing the house up.

Where is the best place to spend money? This is not going to be my forever home, more to do up and sell.

I have put in a new boiler
New external doors
The garden is being looked at.


It needs a new bathroom and double glazing.. which is on my list.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 15:51 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46860
Location: Cheshire
If you are going to sell it:

Get an estate agent around to value the house, then ask them what doing that would do to the value.

And then buy a new house.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 15:55 
User avatar
Harper Shadow

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48104
Location: Freaked out in a Moonage daydream
Just price it accordingly as is and spend your money on the new place.

_________________
SD&DG Illustrated! Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 15:58 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 21034
Location: shropshire, uk
I think I will be here for the next few years as it is the same town, as where my son is.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 15:59 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 37071
Kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms. Make them airy and neutral. Boring, but true.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:03 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 6105
Double glazing and new external doors made our house a lot nicer to live in - less draught and quieter, but they're expensive and if you're selling in a couple of years it might not be worth it financially..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:06 
User avatar
Harper Shadow

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48104
Location: Freaked out in a Moonage daydream
Loft conversion could possibly add the most value to your home £ for £.

_________________
SD&DG Illustrated! Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:06 
User avatar
Harper Shadow

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48104
Location: Freaked out in a Moonage daydream
DavPaz wrote:
Kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms. Make them airy and neutral. Boring, but true.

No bright doors either.

_________________
SD&DG Illustrated! Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:07 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 21034
Location: shropshire, uk
Squirt wrote:
Double glazing and new external doors made our house a lot nicer to live in - less draught and quieter, but they're expensive and if you're selling in a couple of years it might not be worth it financially..


I have new doors, with a 10 year warranty, the boiler has the same length warranty.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:12 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46860
Location: Cheshire
Garden office.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:27 
Best
User avatar
Board Mother

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10788
Location: Mount Olympus
KovacsC wrote:
I think I will be here for the next few years as it is the same town, as where my son is.

How many bedroom is it and are you close to local schools? Bus routes? Main transport links etc? Knowing who you are likely to be marketing it to will help loads.

Also neutral doesn't have to be boring, just clean and fresh.

_________________
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GJ is right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:30 
User avatar
Harper Shadow

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48104
Location: Freaked out in a Moonage daydream
No brightly coloured kitchen either.

_________________
SD&DG Illustrated! Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:31 
User avatar
Harper Shadow

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48104
Location: Freaked out in a Moonage daydream
:D :kiss:

_________________
SD&DG Illustrated! Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:32 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: , Location, Location.
I've always fancied a rumpus room. Could you excavate downwards?

_________________
Just laugh if you're mad.. Now with added video link.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:40 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 21034
Location: shropshire, uk
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
I think I will be here for the next few years as it is the same town, as where my son is.

How many bedroom is it and are you close to local schools? Bus routes? Main transport links etc? Knowing who you are likely to be marketing it to will help loads.

Also neutral doesn't have to be boring, just clean and fresh.



3 Bedroom (2 Double, 1 Single), I am on a bus route and 400m from a primary school.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:44 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: , Location, Location.
KovacsC wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
I think I will be here for the next few years as it is the same town, as where my son is.

How many bedroom is it and are you close to local schools? Bus routes? Main transport links etc? Knowing who you are likely to be marketing it to will help loads.

Also neutral doesn't have to be boring, just clean and fresh.



3 Bedroom (2 Double, 1 Single), I am on a bus route and 400m from a primary school.

..... but presumably getting further away by the second.

_________________
Just laugh if you're mad.. Now with added video link.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:47 
Best
User avatar
Board Mother

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10788
Location: Mount Olympus
KovacsC wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
I think I will be here for the next few years as it is the same town, as where my son is.

How many bedroom is it and are you close to local schools? Bus routes? Main transport links etc? Knowing who you are likely to be marketing it to will help loads.

Also neutral doesn't have to be boring, just clean and fresh.



3 Bedroom (2 Double, 1 Single), I am on a bus route and 400m from a primary school.

Perfect family home then, that's who you market to.

Get your bathroom done before you replace any of your stair carpet. :P

Families want child friendly and practical. E.g. when you do your bathroom, consider a vanity unit under the sink for extra storage. Considering gardens, keep them simple. They will want a safe place for children to play, not something that looks like it wants a lot of work. Functional is better. This can all be easily dressed to sell the lifestyle too. Happy to go through anything with you in more detail and make suggestions. I've penciled you in for a video call on Wednesday evening. :P

_________________
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GJ is right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 16:50 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 21034
Location: shropshire, uk
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
I think I will be here for the next few years as it is the same town, as where my son is.

How many bedroom is it and are you close to local schools? Bus routes? Main transport links etc? Knowing who you are likely to be marketing it to will help loads.

Also neutral doesn't have to be boring, just clean and fresh.



3 Bedroom (2 Double, 1 Single), I am on a bus route and 400m from a primary school.

Perfect family home then, that's who you market to.

Get your bathroom done before you replace any of your stair carpet. :P

Families want child friendly and practical. E.g. when you do your bathroom, consider a vanity unit under the sink for extra storage. Considering gardens, keep them simple. They will want a safe place for children to play, not something that looks like it wants a lot of work. Functional is better. This can all be easily dressed to sell the lifestyle too. Happy to go through anything with you in more detail and make suggestions. I've penciled you in for a video call on Wednesday evening. :P



Brilliant :)

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 17:01 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 3363
Location: Broseley
Houses on your street usually go within a couple of weeks, not sure it matters what it looks like tbh (I like to keep an eye on the market locally, no idea why)

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 17:09 
Best
User avatar
Board Mother

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10788
Location: Mount Olympus
Jem wrote:
Houses on your street usually go within a couple of weeks, not sure it matters what it looks like tbh (I like to keep an eye on the market locally, no idea why)

That's good to know, if it's in a sought after area, and presented nicely, it could be worth more.

_________________
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GJ is right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 17:37 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 2509
I know this is very 'What would you do if you won the lottery?' "Oh, I'd probably buy a new biro, then invest the rest" (Thanks, Jack Dee), but if you have spare cash, stocks and shares ISAs are your friend. Even at our great age you've 20odd years for it to sit and grow; starting with some of the lump sum now then (crucially) topping up each month ought to do well. Scottish Mortgage, where I have half of mine, made 100% last year (admittedly thanks to Tesla, which is a wild ride).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 18:03 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 13171
Location: Shropshire, UK
Jem wrote:
Houses on your street usually go within a couple of weeks, not sure it matters what it looks like tbh (I like to keep an eye on the market locally, no idea why)

:this:

Jem and I went to look at the (detached, not semi) house at the very end of your road (number 1) before we moved to where we are now - it was way out of budget though, so you should be larfing.

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 18:28 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 21034
Location: shropshire, uk
The detached are silly money. I think mine was valued at £190 recently. My house looks tired and dated and just after pointers on where to make it better.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 18:37 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48736
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Families want child friendly and practical. E.g. when you do your bathroom, consider a vanity unit under the sink for extra storage. Considering gardens, keep them simple. They will want a safe place for children to play, not something that looks like it wants a lot of work. Functional is better. This can all be easily dressed to sell the lifestyle too. Happy to go through anything with you in more detail and make suggestions. I've penciled you in for a video call on Wednesday evening. :P


When I remodelled my house, I did exactly the opposite. Replaced the lawn with decking and flowerbeds, knocked through the kitchen and dining room into one massive kitchen, took out the chimney breasts, basically completely customised it to be a perfect house for a childless couple in their mid-30s and a terrible house for anyone else.

Then I got divorced and got absolutely shafted on selling it, for obvious reasons :D

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 18:43 
Best
User avatar
Board Mother

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10788
Location: Mount Olympus
Cras wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Families want child friendly and practical. E.g. when you do your bathroom, consider a vanity unit under the sink for extra storage. Considering gardens, keep them simple. They will want a safe place for children to play, not something that looks like it wants a lot of work. Functional is better. This can all be easily dressed to sell the lifestyle too. Happy to go through anything with you in more detail and make suggestions. I've penciled you in for a video call on Wednesday evening. :P


When I remodelled my house, I did exactly the opposite. Replaced the lawn with decking and flowerbeds, knocked through the kitchen and dining room into one massive kitchen, took out the chimney breasts, basically completely customised it to be a perfect house for a childless couple in their mid-30s and a terrible house for anyone else.

Then I got divorced and got absolutely shafted on selling it, for obvious reasons :D

The key learning here is to listen to me on this subject and not Craster. :D

_________________
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GJ is right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 18:45 
Best
User avatar
Board Mother

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10788
Location: Mount Olympus
KovacsC wrote:
The detached are silly money. I think mine was valued at £190 recently. My house looks tired and dated and just after pointers on where to make it better.

You might find it just wants a lick of paint and new flooring more than anything. It's amazing the difference a freshen up can make.

However, I've seen your bathroom, I'd change that. :P

_________________
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GJ is right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 19:04 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48736
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
[
The key learning here is to listen to me on this subject and not Craster. :D


:this:

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 19:33 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 21034
Location: shropshire, uk
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
The detached are silly money. I think mine was valued at £190 recently. My house looks tired and dated and just after pointers on where to make it better.

You might find it just wants a lick of paint and new flooring more than anything. It's amazing the difference a freshen up can make.

However, I've seen your bathroom, I'd change that. :P


Yes it is top of the list.

L shape bath and proper shower.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 22:17 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48736
Yeah. The shape of the bath is the issue.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 22:46 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 21034
Location: shropshire, uk
Oh the god awful pink suite. :)

That will be gone ASAP.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: House advice..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:43 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 3363
Location: Broseley
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Jem wrote:
Houses on your street usually go within a couple of weeks, not sure it matters what it looks like tbh (I like to keep an eye on the market locally, no idea why)

That's good to know, if it's in a sought after area, and presented nicely, it could be worth more.

Oh definitely, especially if it's only been valued at £190k

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kern, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.