Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Finish 52 books 2021
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 17:44 
Best
Board Mother

Malc started this thread off last year and I really enjoyed it. Not just to keep up with my own reading, but it was interesting to see what others were reading too and to get recommendations.

I hope people will join in again. :nerd: :)

Post subject: Re: Finish 52 books 2021
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 17:46 
Best
Board Mother

1) Linwood Barclay - Fear the worst

I don't know what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed this. I didn't see some of the plot coming either which was nice. Would recommend. :)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The worst day of Tim Blake's life started out with him making breakfast for his seventeen-year-old daughter Sydney. Syd was staying with him while she worked a summer job - even if he wasn't entirely sure what her job at the Just Inn Time motel actually was - and Tim hoped this quality father-daughter time would somehow help her deal with his divorce. When she didn't arrive home at her usual time, he thought she'd probably gone to the mall to hang with her friends. When she didn't answer her phone he began to worry. When she didn't come home at all, he began to panic. And when the people at the motel said they had no Sydney Blake working there, and never had, he began to see his life going into freefall.

If she hadn't been working at the motel every day, what had she been doing? Something she couldn't - or wouldn't - tell her own father about? To find his daughter, Tim doesn't need to simply track her down - he needs to know who she really was, and what could have made her step out of her own life without leaving a trace.

Only one thing has him convinced the worst hasn't already happened: the fact that some very scary people seem just as eager as he is to find her. The question is, who's going to find her first?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 18:30 
Skillmeister

okay i'll try to do this one this year.

1. James Lovegrove - Sherlock Holmes and the Beast of the Stapletons.

Fun times from the author sporting the closest to Conan Doyle's literary style I've found thus far. Not as good as last year's .. Christmas Demon, but good none the less.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 19:31 
Fitness Nut...

1) Alan Moore, Brian Bolland - Batman The killing Joke, The deluxe edition.

My secret santa book. Contains an evil Joker, a Theme park, an origin story, Batman and a joke.

I enjoyed this as I have not read it before, it also has a pre & post sections explain why it was written.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Gonna try keeping this going this year, rather than flaking out after 3 books.

1.) The House Share - Kate Helm

A 3 for £5 special. Immi's new flatshare seems too good to be true! Affordable rent, a perfect location and a chilled out community vibe! But is there something more sinister lurking behind the yoga sessions and free kimchi? Yes, of course there is!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 13:31 
Soopah red DS

I never got into this last year. But this time...

1) The Dutch House - Ann Patchett.

If I have to pick one, I go for Bel Canto as my favourite book (I even quite like the film as a result), but had read nothing else by her. I'll fix that this year, starting with this lovely story of how a family is shaped, fractures and hangs together, hung on the hook of a big house. She's a great writer, occasional paragraphs stopping me in my tracks to reflect on how much meaning she has packed in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 13:40 
Best
Board Mother

JBR wrote:
I never got into this last year. But this time...

If I have to pick one, I go for Bel Canto as my favourite book (I even quite like the film as a result), but had read nothing else by her. I'll fix that this year, starting with this lovely story of how a family is shaped, fractures and hangs together, hung on the hook of a big house. She's a great writer, occasional paragraphs stopping me in my tracks to reflect on how much meaning she has packed in.

That does sound interesting, I'll look out for that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 14:43 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:

2) Traitors of Rome (Eagles of the Empire 18) - Simon Scarrow. Adventures of Roman soldiers Macro and Cato. I used to read all of these, but they got a bit samey. Reckon I've missed 8 or so in the series. Still as decent a page-turner as ever, though I finished it thinking "yep, that all fits". Decent, if cardboard cut-out, characters, but nothing special.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:42 
Prince of Fops

1) The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

A short one to kick off the year. A brilliantly written ghost story, with well-drawn characters and an arch narrator.

Its currency is atmosphere rather than shocks and scares, and it's all the more satisfying for it.

I believe it was adapted into a Netflix series recently, though it sounds like it deviates quite markedly from the book.

Would highly recommend (the book, because we're in the book thread)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 20:59 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
JBR wrote:
2) Traitors of Rome (Eagles of the Empire 18) - Simon Scarrow.

3) Night Frost - RD Wingfield. I love these. Frost is such a well-drawn character - you could make equally good cases for him as kind-hearted and hard working, if slapdash, or lazy, lucky and miserable, or some other combination of characteristics. There are some decent jokes. They're set 40 or so years ago: although that's in my living memory, the stuff that's a product of when it was written (this one has them walking in on a brand new "enormous" 28 inch TV) are charming rather than clunking - I suppose because technology is just described as a background, not fetishised. I don't know if I ever really watched the TV version, but have certainly seen enough to have David Jason in my head when I read. He fits perfectly - either brilliant casting, or just inescapable given I saw (some of) the TV version first. There are only 10 books, this is the third; I'm bound to read them all, but in no rush, especially as only the first 6 were written by Wingfield.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:26 
Fitness Nut...

1) Alan Moore, Brian Bolland - Batman The killing Joke, The deluxe edition.
2) Stella Rimmington - Riptide

This is the sixth book in the series. A very well written spy book. More spooks than Bond. With a very strong female lead.

Quote:

To catch an enemy with nothing to lose, Liz Carlyle must venture into dangerous waters.

When pirates attack a cargo ship off the Somalian coast and one of them is found to be a British-born Pakistani, alarm bells start ringing at London's Thames House. MI5 Intelligence Officer Liz Carlyle is brought in to establish how and why a young British Muslim could go missing from his well-to-do family in Birmingham and end up onboard a pirate skiff in the Indian Ocean, armed with a Kalashnikov.

After an undercover operative connected to the case turns up dead in the shipping office of an NGO in Athens it looks like piracy may be the least of the Service's problems. Liz and her team must unravel the connections between Pakistan, Greece and Somalia, relying on their wits - and the judicious use of force - to get to the truth. And they don't have long, as trouble is brewing closer to home: the kind of explosive trouble that MI5 could do without ...

Stella Rimington, former Director General of MI5, returns with a tense and heart-stopping spy thriller where the secrets are deep, the stakes are high and the enemy is always just out of sight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 15:51 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
2) Traitors of Rome (Eagles of the Empire 18) - Simon Scarrow.
3) Night Frost - RD Wingfield.

4) Chessmen of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs. Old-fashioned 'Stories for Boys', where men are men and women are stolen then chased. For all that, there's great invention in the ideas, and there's enough action to keep the pages turning. Green men, Red men; but who is the toughest? There's only one way to find out. And they will fight. Over and over.
This is the fifth of the John Carter books (and already Carter himself barely features), and that might be enough for me, given they're pretty similar. Being so old, they're available for free via Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1153.

And for Rice Burroughs in general: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/48

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:18 
Best
Board Mother

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
1. Linwood Barclay - Fear the worst

2. Linwood Barclay - Too close to home

I went straight in for another one and was not disappointed. There was one plot point that I figured out quite early on, but the rest kept me guessing, so I again enjoyed it.

To the point that I have ordered further books by this author that should be here on Saturday.

I better get something else read quickly! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 23:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

1) Doctor Sleep - Stevie King

It's the sequel to The Shining. It's not as good as The Shining, but that's hardly damning, not a lot is. It was nice to go back into that world, and entertaining enough. Now I can watch the movie!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 13:01 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:
1) Doctor Sleep - Stevie King

It's the sequel to The Shining. It's not as good as The Shining, but that's hardly damning, not a lot is. It was nice to go back into that world, and entertaining enough. Now I can watch the movie!

That's good to hear. I'd started to shy away from his writing as he went more towards fantasy, but I do feel he's learning back towards the horror genre in recent years. I'll give this one a look - thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 16:09 
Unpossible!

The series of books starting with Mr Mercedes are excellent. Detective novels with some classic King style thrown over the top

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 16:35 
Best
Board Mother

DavPaz wrote:
The series of books starting with Mr Mercedes are excellent. Detective novels with some classic King style thrown over the top

Ooh, they do look interesting. I really dropped out of the loop on his work, but these look good.

I'm keeping an eye out on eBay. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 0:38 
Skillmeister

Dimrill wrote:
okay i'll try to do this one this year.

1. James Lovegrove - Sherlock Holmes and the Beast of the Stapletons.

Fun times from the author sporting the closest to Conan Doyle's literary style I've found thus far. Not as good as last year's .. Christmas Demon, but good none the less.

2. Anne Rice - The Vampire Armand.

Very gay. 8/10.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Squirt wrote:

2.) Rebecca -Daphne de Maurier

The unnamed heroine falls in love with and marries the brooding Mr de Winter and returns to the imposing ancestral home of Manderley, where she must infiltrate a criminal gang within the high-octane underground world of street racing!

This is part of my attempt to read more of the "classics". I really enjoyed it. The narattor is both sympathetic and annoyingly limp at times, Mrs Danvers is suitably threatening and the whole thing had a nice aura of menance and suspense. 12 thumbs up!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:56 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Squirt wrote:
2.) Rebecca -Daphne de Maurier

3.) The Black Cloud - Fred Hoyle

Spooky space shenanigans are afoot! Luckily there are some pipe-smoking Englishmen to fix it, whilst all those foriegns are ineffectual. A Sci-Fi classic, but reads as SOOO old fashioned now.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]