Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: One less reason not to buy a PS3
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:25 
Excellent Member

looks like Europe is finally getting the Dual Shock controller for the PS3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=163909

Just have to wait for it to be bundled at a good price (perhaps some good games too, if they're feeling nice)

Post subject: Re: One less reason not to buy a PS3
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fucking finally.

[edit] Wait - Friday?

[edit][edit]Forty fucking quid?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:27 
INFINITE POWAH

Have they relased any games of the PS3 yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:28 
Paws for thought

Have I mentioned yet how furiously I hate the PS3 controller, irregardless of if it has rumble?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Dave wrote:
irregardless

>:(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:29 
Paws for thought

*trys to think of more ways to annoy Mr. Chris*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Only £32 (import) on Play.com
http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/ ... oduct.html

lazy eye patch

Mr Dave wrote:
*trys to think of more ways to annoy Mr. Chris*

Clever.

Mr Dave wrote:
Have I mentioned yet how furiously I hate the PS3 controller, irregardless of if it has rumble?

At the very least, the rumble gives it some much needed weight - it's essentially a wireless Dual Shock 2 now with a pointless motion sensing thing function added for good measure.

The 360 controller is still King Of Pads though (or, at least, it would be if they sorted out the horrible D-pad on it).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:31 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Fuck rumble. That's last-gen.

Also, since the PS3 was released, I've only ever seen one person buying one. That was a lad wearing Rockport boots with tracksuit bottoms and a checkered jumper, with a cap, a nasty face, and a (probably fake and stolen) gold watch, innit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:33 
Skillmeister

I remember going in to Brum on the train shortly after the PS3 was released, and some chav child was bragging to his tracksuit bedecked mates about his PS3 shortly before suggesting they all go back to his house to play a game on it. Not even his chav mates were interested in the proposition. Hahahaha! PS3 poo wank fart!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:38 
Paws for thought

Zio wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

At the very least, the rumble gives it some much needed weight - it's essentially a wireless Dual Shock 2 now with a pointless motion sensing thing function added for good measure.

The 360 controller is still King Of Pads though (or, at least, it would be if they sorted out the horrible D-pad on it).

Weight would help, but the position of the sticks and shape are the main problems. It means I can only play on the ps3 for at most half an hour at a time. (And generally choose not to, worried about the damage I might be causing my hands long term.)

Sadly, all the third partys seem to insist on apeing the ps3 controller as much as possible, as compared to, say, sticking the left stick in a place where it's comfortable for the thumb to rest on it and move in all directions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:39 

Well, due to the fact I'm totally fucking skint I have decided to go down to just one console, and to join the proletariat masses in making that one console be the PS3.

You may think me mad - in many ways I think myself mad - but I never play online anymore, loads of the games I want are multi-platform now anyhoo, plus for my sins I really like the Wipeout and Gran Turismo games. And the whole BluRay thing is kinda nice. And it is a ever-so-slightly better DVD player than the 360.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Those same games are more expensive, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:45 
Chinny chin chin

Mr Chris wrote:
Have they relased any games of the PS3 yet?

GTA aside, I can see no compelling reason to buy a next-gen until they are far far cheaper*. I play precious few modern games as it is and don't feel compelled to fill Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft's pockets.

* Well unless Konix finally get their finger out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:45 
making out to faces of death

I'd quite like a PS3, mostly for movies, and GT5 when it comes out. I wonder if there's a snazzier version of the console due this year, or whether the fisher price 40gb one is the only one in sight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:52 
lazy eye patch

Zio wrote:
Well, due to the fact I'm totally fucking skint I have decided to go down to just one console, and to join the proletariat masses in making that one console be the PS3.

You may think me mad - in many ways I think myself mad - but I never play online anymore, loads of the games I want are multi-platform now anyhoo, plus for my sins I really like the Wipeout and Gran Turismo games. And the whole BluRay thing is kinda nice. And it is a ever-so-slightly better DVD player than the 360.

1) If you're fucking skint then you'll find the PS3 a bad console to buy for. Even the crappy launch titles are still at stupid prices, due a lack of demand or alternative software. Whereas I am regularly buying the older 360 games for as little as FOUR POUNDS EACH. Yes.

2) You wouldn't be joining the proletariat masses, you'd be joining a minority. A minority of twatty chavs. Also, Mr. Dave, Grim..., Cthulu Steev (whatever happened to him?) and Rev Owen.

3) Playing online on a 360 is massively better than playing online on a PC. Don't think that all of those who talk excitedly of COD4 or Halo 3 are veteran Quake deathmatch addicts. It's a brave and exciting Live! world out there, and genuinely the most stress-free and enjoyable online gaming 'experience' I've ever known. And I *am* a veteran deathmatch dodley doodley doo.

4) Get Forza 2. It's like Gran Turismo but better and without the ridiculousness of its different versions and pay models etc.

5) Most of the games that you want are multi-platform NOW. Because we all remember the Gamecube being supported right until the end, right folks?

5) Like BluRay? Get a 360, and you can pick up a HD-DVD drive for about £17 if you act fast. The movies themselves are dead cheap, and there are plenty of good ones. Want to get BluRay later? Then you've only 'wasted' a small amount of money, which would be perfect for eBaying later anyway.

6) Finally, after all that, to then get a CONSIDERABLY MORE EXPENSIVE PS3, because it's DVD is ever so slightly better, would just be madness.

IMO YMMV LOL etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:54 
That Rev Chap

My PS3 usage.

R2 DVDs >>>> Blu-Ray Discs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Games

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:04 

I totally agree with you CUS, totally. But thanks to my previous job working for Gamestation and all the shenanigans that can ensue, I have both a PS3 and a 360 already. And I've got the HD-DVD drive on the 360. It's proper good and all that.

Thing is, I need to sell one of them, at least until such a time as I've actually sorted out my finances a bit. I've already played Forza 2 to death (though don't get me wrong, I love it and, save for some minor niggles, find it much better than the previous Gran Turismo games). And I find I'm much more looking forward to the two new Wipeout games on the horizon (even though one of them is essentially a tarted-up Wipeout Pure), Little Big Planet, Ferrari Challenge and GT5 than any 360 exclusives I can think of in the pipeline.

Plus, I used to play on Live all the time, so I know what it's like - I just don't do it anymore. I'm not even sure why, I just find I can never really be bothered, though maybe I should try and get in to some Hot Bezzie Action(tm) this week. HD-DVD is dead, all Blu-Ray from here on in it seems. The games are indeed a bit more expensive (which I think is the most worrying aspect for me), but then I rarely buy new games now 'cos I never have the bloody time to play them. New job means I don't get in till 7pm anymore and I'm usually way too tired by then, so it's a weekend hobby for me these days.

But I'm happy for people to tell me I'm being an idiot, because I deeply suspect that I am.

Edit: Oh, and I've got the 60GB version of the PS3, which is part of the reason I feel so inclined to cling on to it, particularly as I am a sad git that does still play PS2 games on it from time to time. Whereas my 360 is the Elite version, which looks horrible compared to the lovely white original and I've never done anything worthwhile with it's 120GB hard disk other than stick hundreds of demos on it that I never play.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:08 
Paws for thought

CUS wrote:
2) You wouldn't be joining the proletariat masses, you'd be joining a minority. A minority of twatty chavs. Also, Mr. Dave, Grim..., Cthulu Steev (whatever happened to him?) and Rev Owen.

Well, not quite. That's somewhat disingenius*, what with us owning both, like Zio currently does, rather than only one.

* - See, Mr Chris, see what happens when you complain about a momentary lapse of concentration

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:09 

Zio wrote:
But I'm happy for people to tell me I'm being an idiot, because I deeply suspect that I am.
I'm not sure you are. You're making an educated decision here, having owned and used both consoles extensively.

Also, I'm not as down on the PS3 as other people here. I don't hate the controller, I think the system itself has possibilities, and it's selling well enough (ahead of the 360 in Continental Europe for example) that I don't think the games support is going to dry up. I don't play many games on mine at the moment, it's true, but then I barely touched my 360 in Jan or Feb this year while I played Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted and UT3.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:13 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Dave wrote:
CUS wrote:

Well, not quite. That's somewhat disingenius*, what with us owning both, like Zio currently does, rather than only one.

* - See, Mr Chris, see what happens when you complain about a momentary lapse of concentration

Kill. Revenge.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:15 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I will frely admit the PSPSPS has grown on me since we got it. But it's still sorely lacking in games of any notable quality, let alone affordable ones. I had a twenty mintue go of Batlefield something or Other this morning and it seemed like it could be quite fun, mind. I even found myself tapping notes into my phone, MGS-style, although with none of the bile this time.

I second what CUS said about online gaming. I simply wouldn't bother on the PC (barring something like Starcraft with a men's agreement not to play like a wanker as 99.999% of players do), and had one for a decade while racking up maybe thirty twenty hours altogether online. The 360 though makes it a lot easier and, though it's got it's share of cockchafers, there are some really nice crowds on there even if you play with randoms.

I've not had a try of the PS3 online thing. I don't know why, I just can't be arsed. It's probably because the games are largely meh and I don't know many people who have a PS3 to join.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:18 

richardgaywood wrote:
Zio wrote:
I'm not sure you are. You're making an educated decision here, having owned and used both consoles extensively.

Also, I'm not as down on the PS3 as other people here. I don't hate the controller, I think the system itself has possibilities, and it's selling well enough (ahead of the 360 in Continental Europe for example) that I don't think the games support is going to dry up. I don't play many games on mine at the moment, it's true, but then I barely touched my 360 in Jan or Feb this year while I played Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted and UT3.

It helps that my brother brought me a DualShock 3 controller back from Japan earlier this year - the weight difference alone make it feel like a proper first-party controller rather than the cheap tat feel of the Sixaxis. The 360 controller is nicer though.

Ironically, the only game I've played online recently is GT5: Prologue. Fuck me, is that ever a frustrating experience!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:33 

My best mate turned up at my door on Friday night, quite surprising as he's normally on a train to Manchester to see his missus. Turns out he was on the way to the station, had bought a PS3 from a mate at work and wouldn't be able to play it in Manchester, so he thought he'd loan it to me for the weekend to see if I think it's any good.

With any other piece of "new" technology I'd be ripping the box apart at the seams.

I've not even opened the bag.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:39 
PC Gamer

sinister agent wrote:
I
I second what CUS said about online gaming. I simply wouldn't bother on the PC (barring something like Starcraft with a men's agreement not to play like a wanker as 99.999% of players do), and had one for a decade while racking up maybe thirty twenty hours altogether online.

That was me before Team Fortress 2. It's the online shooter for people who can't stand online shooters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:49 
Excellent Painter

GazChap wrote:
My best mate turned up at my door on Friday night, quite surprising as he's normally on a train to Manchester to see his missus. Turns out he was on the way to the station, had bought a PS3 from a mate at work and wouldn't be able to play it in Manchester, so he thought he'd loan it to me for the weekend to see if I think it's any good.

With any other piece of "new" technology I'd be ripping the box apart at the seams.

I've not even opened the bag.

It never ceases to amaze me how fucking clunky the PS3 is as a games machine. Don't use it for a month, buy a game put it in, wait 25mins for a required System Update, which doesn't install automatically, so don't go wandering off to do something useful with your time. Then, there's a good chance you'll get walloped with a mandatory install of 90% of the game which will still make it slower than a 360 loading games.

Oh, and this is on top of the hour you will spend configuring a new machine out of the box.

Oh and I don't like the controller.

The online is several steps backwards.

So, let's be stupidly supportive of what is quite clearly the weakest machine on the market at the moment because it has potential as a multimedia device.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:01 

DBSnappa wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how fucking clunky the PS3 is as a games machine. Don't use it for a month, buy a game put it in, wait 25mins for a required System Update, which doesn't install automatically, so don't go wandering off to do something useful with your time. Then, there's a good chance you'll get walloped with a mandatory install of 90% of the game which will still make it slower than a 360 loading games.

Oh, and this is on top of the hour you will spend configuring a new machine out of the box.

Oh and I don't like the controller.

The online is several steps backwards.

So, let's be stupidly supportive of what is quite clearly the weakest machine on the market at the moment because it has potential as a multimedia device.

When I originally bought the machine, I would've agreed with all of this. It did piss me off how long it took to set up - the Xbox 360 is far, far easier to get going than the PS3 is, which just seems like madness. And the hard drive installs are a pain in the arse, but at least you only have to do it the once. More damning I find is incidences such as GTA IV, which I've had the opportunity to play on both systems - depsite the install, the PS3 version still takes a fair bit longer for the initial load each time you boot the game up, though to be fair it has less popup issues than the 360 one.

The online is a step back from Xbox Live, but then it's also totally free to use, so it's all swings and roundabouts in a way. And there's the built in web browser, which I do use from time to time (mostly when I'm tucked up in bed and can't be arsed to get up and use the PC, which is in a different room).

I honestly didn't think I'd ever be here defending the PS3, but I've really warmed to the machine recently. For every fuck up, there's an awful lot that Sony got right with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:12 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Personally, owning a 360 and a Wii, I see no reason to buy a PS3 *at all*. It should be stated that I've never actually played, or even seen one in the "flesh".

I was a solo-only player for a loooong time, never even touched multiplayer modes in games, and even now I only play multiplayer with the BezzieMates, and more of those use Live than PSN.

Also ever since the whole "PS2 killing Dreamcast" thing, I hate SCE's complete bastard lying about everything.

I might pick up a PS2 second hand soon though, to play the classics I missed out on without giving Sony any money.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:18 

Zio wrote:
The online is a step back from Xbox Live, but then it's also totally free to use, so it's all swings and roundabouts in a way.
It's about to get a shedload closer to Live though, with confirmed in-game XMB coming real soon now, yeah, we really mean it, honest. Info.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:20 
Hibernating Druid

Zio wrote:

YOU ARE MAD.

You would save money on games though, because there are non lol etc.

Seriously, don't get one.

Edit: Oh you have one, and a 360. You're getting rid of the 360. You are mad sir.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:42 
baron of techno

The PS3 will help him with his homework.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:45 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Zardoz wrote:
Seriously, don't get one.

This.

Quote:
Edit: Oh you have one, and a 360. You're getting rid of the 360. You are mad sir

A thousand times, this. Really. We got rid of our 360, and the PS3 in its present state is simply boring. Powered through the handful of games that are more than 'meh' in about a month, and there's been nothing since. It's just not worth the money, and ten times less so if you already have a wii or 360. Yeah, it might have some nice games coming up (big 'might'), but the 360 will have just as many, if not more. They'll be a lot cheaper, too - I've not paid more than £20 for any 360 game, and some were as low as £8 even a year ago. The PS3 simply doesn't have a decent budget range yet, and arguably won't for some time.

It's really not worth it and you'll regret it. The PS3 is quieter and more reliably built. Those are the only significant differences unless you're one of the eight or nine people in the world who give a shit about blue ray.

If it's saving money you're after, stick to swap shops, sell off some old games, get into compulsive 10p shooters and puzzlers from XBLAH. Your cash will go further with what you've already got.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:51 

Well... BluRay is quite a nice way of justifying the HDTV I bought two years ago...

Arrrgggghhh! Why do all my ideas that seem really good at the time suddenly start looking like really bad ideas just as soon as I ask anyone else if they think these ideas are any good or not, thus throwing into doubt my own personal feelings towards the validity of those aforementioned ideas? Or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:52 
Gogmagog

Zio wrote:
Well... BluRay is quite a nice way of justifying the HDTV I bought two years ago...

Arrrgggghhh! Why do all my ideas that seem really good at the time suddenly start looking like really bad ideas just as soon as I ask anyone else if they think these ideas are any good or not, thus throwing into doubt my own personal feelings towards the validity of those aforementioned ideas? Or something.

'cos you're a moron.

HTH, HAND.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:54 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Your telly will last for years yet, long enough for blue ray stuff to come down in price and come in a wider, less "early lazy cash-in format" range. Stick with what you've got for, say, a year, and then look again - the PS3 is still basically brand new. It'll come down in a year, as will the games, and by then we'll all have a better idea of what games it has, and whether there's a viable budget market for it.

If the PS3 were mine, I'd swap it for your 360. No joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:05 
lazy eye patch

Mr Dave wrote:
CUS wrote:

No. The twatty chavs might also have a 360 and a Wii, for all we know (sales would say as much, heh). I was listing the people who do have a PS3, no more than that. Besides, we should already know that Zio used to have a 360 - he's the excellently named Skullbugger on Live! So nyeh :P, goodly sir.

Zio wrote:

1) So is HD-DVD.
2) So are GAMES.
3) So, two years ago you bought an outrageous consumer item and even now, can't justify it? I can see why you want only your PS3 :P
4) You say you are broke - you would get more money for selling the PS3 than the 360. And buying 'stuff' for the 360 is cheaper, even when it's the same damn game sometimes. If you keep the PS3 you are making less money now, and spending more money in the future.

Zio wrote:
online is a step back from Xbox Live, but then it's also totally free to use, so it's all swings and roundabouts in a way.

It's free to use, but why would you use it? You've said yourself that you don't really bother with games anymore, so it's not going to be for that. Leaving what? Being able to browse the internet from your living room?

Sir, so far I can see only these reasons for your keeping your PS3 and selling the 360:
1) It is a slightly better DVD player.
2) It is a lightweight web browser.
3) In the future when you have money again, you would be able to watch BluRays on it. And, hopefully, the standalone BluRay players won't have - oh, for example - dropped in price in the way that technology always, always does, leaving you with an actually somewhat slow (x1 remember) BluRay player that isn't as good as your mates' new £100 player.
4) You want Wipeout, GT5, Little Big Planet and that Ferrari game.

If you honestly believe that all of that is >>>> having a 360, where you can *NOW* watch hi-def goodness on the cheap, play a far wider ranger of games potentially against more players (whether Bezzies or not), watch DVDs slightly less well (but still y'know, fine), and play lots of games that whilst not Wipeout or Little Big Planet, are still pretty gosh darn good too - then well, that's your decision and all that. But I join the throng in agreeing that you've gone mental, sir :)

... Given that none of the above games have been released yet, and so may still yet prove to be shite - wouldn't it be awful if you sold your 360, clinging devotedly to your in-lounge web browser and hopes of a shiny Little Big Planet future - and they turned out to be soul-crushingly rubbish?

...You used to work at Gamestation. When - did you get to see how the Gamecube's shelf space was slowly usurped by other formats, as it lost the war, until finally it was just a comparatively teensy space for devotees? Have you been into Gamestation recently?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:11 

God damn you all!

( :kiss: Not really!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:26 
lazy eye patch

Zio, wanna swap your crummy old 360 for this delicious doorstop?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Say Zio, whichever one you get rid of, I'd probably buy the films.
What have you got?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:29 
baron of techno

CUS wrote:

He's probably got a ZX81 already.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:
CUS wrote:

He's probably got a mac already.

FTFY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:30 
lazy eye patch

Grim... wrote:
Say Zio, whichever one you get rid of, I'd probably buy the films.
What have you got?

Ooo! Bagsy second pick on the HD-DVDs, Mr. Wacko Jackson! :kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:35 

Anyone got a swap of an HD-DVD, I accidentally ordered 2 Ocean's 11s instead of an 11 and a 12?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:45 
lazy eye patch

I can swap you Full Metal Jacket for it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:48 

I do not in fact have that. Please PM an address and if you're really bored, let me know if you want the top or bottom copy in the pile :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:59 
lazy eye patch

I like to top.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 20:12 
Excellent Member

I too would also ditch my 360 if it wasnt for the online gaming.

Other than Forza, there arent any exclusive games on the 360 that would make me want keep it. And when GT5 comes out, there'll be no exclusive games on the 360 which would warrant me keeping it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 20:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Chris wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
irregardless

>:(

He meant irrespective. Don't worry Chris, I agree with you. One day we'll have a drink together and talk about the poor state of grammar in this country.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 20:23 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Don't worry Chris, I agree with you. One day we'll have a drink together and shout furiously about the poor state of grammar in this country.

FTFY

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next