Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ultrawidescreen Monitors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 14:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'd imagine it's extremely likely in Jazzy's case that there would be restrictions preventing working on a personal machine or doing personal stuff on a work machine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 14:47 
Best
Board Mother

Cras wrote:
I'd imagine it's extremely likely in Jazzy's case that there would be restrictions preventing working on a personal machine or doing personal stuff on a work machine

Yeah, absolutely. I did type up a response post, but as I finished the last sentence our electricity got turned off. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 14:55 
UltraMod

If I read your initial post right, laptop 1 needs replacing and isn’t used for sensitive information, so keep that separate. Laptops 2 and 3 will both be work machines, so why not combine those two into one? It’ll save you money and you’ll have enough screen real estate to have everything you need one one display output.

Unless I’m missing something.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:18 
Best
Board Mother

Mr Chonks wrote:

Unless I’m missing something.

Only if you have craster on ignore. :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:19 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Cras wrote:

Same reasons I needed 2 inputs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:22 
Best
Board Mother

Sorry, I will reply to this better when I can use my laptop again, I really do appreciate your help and comments.

Laptop b is my personal laptop, I can do some work stuff on it, but not access work systems. Laptop c will be provided by work, I am not able to install any software of my own on it and will need to use laptop b for zoom etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:28 
UltraMod

I assumed they were both work laptops as you said they were both for work. Sorry.

It’s baffling that work won’t allow you to install software you need in order to do your job.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:35 
Best
Board Mother

Mr Chonks wrote:
I assumed they were both work laptops as you said they were both for work. Sorry.

It’s baffling that work won’t allow you to install software you need in order to do your job.

Ah, I see the confusion, sorry.

Yeah, baffling is a good word. I guess they don't want to risk any sort of virus getting on there. It's really restricted, even the websites that are blocked at work are still blocked. At least I will be able to access any information I need though, I doubt I will use it for much else as I prefer my own to be honest.

You are correct though in that laptop a will become redundant, as I only really use it as a second screen either for zoom or research articles, I can use zoom on laptop b with a bigger screen as well as displaying articles on it too. Of course, I could still use my laptop scree if needed. I don't use the work laptop one though as it's just too small.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:35 
Hibernating Druid

I think she's hiding something. Far too convoluted #FakeAdviceThread

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:36 
Best
Board Mother

Zardoz wrote:
I think she's hiding something. Far too convoluted #FakeAdviceThread

:D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:41 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

Ah, I see the confusion, sorry.

Yeah, baffling is a good word. I guess they don't want to risk any sort of virus getting on there. It's really restricted, even the websites that are blocked at work are still blocked. At least I will be able to access any information I need though, I doubt I will use it for much else as I prefer my own to be honest.

You are correct though in that laptop a will become redundant, as I only really use it as a second screen either for zoom or research articles, I can use zoom on laptop b with a bigger screen as well as displaying articles on it too. Of course, I could still use my laptop scree if needed. I don't use the work laptop one though as it's just too small.

So yes a big screen with 2 inputs would work :P

I am sure i said that.. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:58 
Best
Board Mother

KovacsC wrote:
So yes a big screen with 2 inputs would work :P

I am sure i said that.. :)

:P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 18:42 
Best
Board Mother

Here's one I made earlier...

Mr Chonks wrote:
If you had a screen big enough for all your documents, do you still need multiple machines? You could have zoom on the left side, typing doc on the middle and another doc on the right, for example. Or even split it into 6 as long as it’s large enough.

Grim... wrote:
I'm maybe having trouble getting my head around Jazzy's use case, but I don't see why you'd ever need more than one laptop if you have the screen real estate to view everything you need at the same time?

And if that's the case, just get a bigger monitor :)

I can't use zoom on the work laptop, just connect to work with it. I can't connect to work on my laptop, as it has to have loads of security stuff on it. But yes, I would defiantly be able to get rid of laptop one if I had a big enough screen. The screen I have is reasonably large 22"), but I can't plug two laptops into it and I don't think it's quite big enough for two documents next to each other either (I'm not currently using it, just my laptop screen).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 19:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
I can't plug two laptops into it

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a single input monitor before, and the answer is "perhaps once, maybe?".

Are you sure it's not a CRT TV? :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 19:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Isn't Jazzy looking for one that can display from two laptops side by side, rather than one with two switchable inputs?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 19:54 
Best
Board Mother

Cras wrote:
Isn't Jazzy looking for one that can display from two laptops side by side, rather than one with two switchable inputs?

Yes, she is. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 20:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Got my psychic link turned on today

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 20:17 
Best
Board Mother

Cras wrote:
Got my psychic link turned on today

:kiss:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:27 
Can you dig it?

I'm going to assume this is clinical data and yes some of the restrictions are very tight, is my understanding. The big science facility in the city has to provide some select researchers with two separate machines for just this reason (the IT head doesn't like it but grudgingly accepts it's a simple workaround)

Somewhat relatedly, I recently learned that Australian clinical data must be kept on Australian servers, so certain 'cloud' providers cannot be used because they do not allow you to specify geo-location. This was new to me and was simultaneously quite interesting in principle and yet pretty boring in detail. I'd simply never really thought about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 16:54 
Soopah red DS

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I'm going to assume this is clinical data and yes some of the restrictions are very tight, is my understanding. The big science facility in the city has to provide some select researchers with two separate machines for just this reason (the IT head doesn't like it but grudgingly accepts it's a simple workaround)

Somewhat relatedly, I recently learned that Australian clinical data must be kept on Australian servers, so certain 'cloud' providers cannot be used because they do not allow you to specify geo-location. This was new to me and was simultaneously quite interesting in principle and yet pretty boring in detail. I'd simply never really thought about it.

The last bit reminds me of a favourite story involving a friend of mine, G. Another friend, C, worked in insurance, and had visited a hinge factory to allow them to quote to insure them. All very standard, until they found some of those hinges were used in space. Suddenly the liability was very different.

I mentioned this to G, and said, "Imagine having to know about that?"

His response, which became a bit of a work-motto for me, to counter my in-built 'oh gosh!' reaction, was "imagine having to care?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 17:25 

Sir Taxalot wrote:

The same with some email servers and storage. All have to be be on prem and country local. It is fascinating in an IT way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 23:10 
Can you dig it?

JBR wrote:
The last bit reminds me of a favourite story involving a friend of mine, G. Another friend, C, worked in insurance, and had visited a hinge factory to allow them to quote to insure them. All very standard, until they found some of those hinges were used in space. Suddenly the liability was very different.

His response, which became a bit of a work-motto for me, to counter my in-built 'oh gosh!' reaction, was "imagine having to care?"

I like that, and I have a feeling those two statements will bounce around in my head during some more of our upcoming 'working strategy group' meetings

I've also never thought about a factory devoted solely to hinges until now. This is just what I need when I'm procrastinating instead of getting on with my more important tasks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:06 
Soopah red DS

Sir Taxalot wrote:
JBR wrote:

I like that, and I have a feeling those two statements will bounce around in my head during some more of our upcoming 'working strategy group' meetings

I've also never thought about a factory devoted solely to hinges until now. This is just what I need when I'm procrastinating instead of getting on with my more important tasks.

I used to look round meetings, particularly while we were talking about something, and think "hmm, but who here actually *cares* about what we're doing" (as opposed to just going through the motions of being their workplace persona. Thanks to the internal market etc., there was too much 'I am in IT, so I must put IT's opinion!', replied to by 'well, I am in the Library, so here is the Library view!'.

Still, my bequest from this brief discourse is the mental image of a hinge factory, so I'm feeling good.

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2