Be Excellent To Each Other
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/forum/

Bits and Bobs 51
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11605
Page 41 of 42

Author:  Mimi [ Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I’ll just leave it but not attempt to arrange anything more. If she turns up to collect it one day and we’re in then, fine. If she contacts me again I’ll say we aren’t waiting in all day after last time and ask again if she’d like it dropping over or posting on, or she can pop in whenever but risk us not being here. But I’ll say it nicer.


Leave your house keys under a rock in the front garden and then she can let herself in and get her license from off the hallway table.

Wait, leaving keys outside is a bad idea, so leave rock in front garden outside door then she can break window and come in and get the license off the hallway table.

But, then you have glass to clear up. Maybe put the hallway table out in the front garden and use the rock to weigh the driving license down so it doesn't blow away, then she can come and get the license from the hallway table. Which is now in the front garden. Under a rock.


She still hasn’t contacted me after the last time she didn’t turn up to pick it up. I’m not going to bother chasing her any more. If it gets to the end of the month I’ll message her to say I think it’s best I shred it if she thinks it’s easier for her to just get another, give her a week to respond, then do that if she doesn’t reply or doesn’t turn up to pick it up. I don’t really want to be holding on to someone else’s identity document indefinitely.

Author:  BikNorton [ Fri Jun 03, 2022 13:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Return it to the DVLA, which is what you're supposed to do. Let them chase her up and stop worrying, having done your civic duty.

Author:  JBR [ Fri Jun 03, 2022 18:17 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I’ll just leave it but not attempt to arrange anything more. If she turns up to collect it one day and we’re in then, fine. If she contacts me again I’ll say we aren’t waiting in all day after last time and ask again if she’d like it dropping over or posting on, or she can pop in whenever but risk us not being here. But I’ll say it nicer.


Leave your house keys under a rock in the front garden and then she can let herself in and get her license from off the hallway table.

Wait, leaving keys outside is a bad idea, so leave rock in front garden outside door then she can break window and come in and get the license off the hallway table.

But, then you have glass to clear up. Maybe put the hallway table out in the front garden and use the rock to weigh the driving license down so it doesn't blow away, then she can come and get the license from the hallway table. Which is now in the front garden. Under a rock.

I have a little bit of experience in a related area, from the last couple of hours. My AirBnB host in Orebro was away. I was prepared to wait, but he hit on the idea of leaving a key outside, attached to a padlock. A big thick padlock, so the key was on a ring. What could go wrong?

Well, yes, that. Padlock in place, and securely locked. Key, not. I think he has done it before, and hidden the key behind the padlock, which was enough security. This time it was nice and visible - I know, because he sent me a picture. Oops.

Author:  Mimi [ Fri Jun 03, 2022 19:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Do you mean someone has stolen the key to the Air BnB?

Author:  Mimi [ Fri Jun 03, 2022 19:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

BikNorton wrote:
Return it to the DVLA, which is what you're supposed to do. Let them chase her up and stop worrying, having done your civic duty.

Yeah, I’d read that they actually just bin them and then ten driver has to pay for a new one, so I thought it would stop that needless waste and expense, but I think I’ve done as much as I can.

Author:  JBR [ Fri Jun 03, 2022 21:17 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Mimi wrote:
Do you mean someone has stolen the key to the Air BnB?

Yes! Though we don't actually know, so it could be that some neighbour thought "looks dangerous!" and has safeguarded it.

Author:  Mimi [ Fri Jun 03, 2022 22:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Eek. Hopefully that’s what it is. Make sure you double lick/blop the door if the locks haven’t been changed.

Author:  BikNorton [ Sat Jun 04, 2022 0:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Mimi wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
Return it to the DVLA, which is what you're supposed to do. Let them chase her up and stop worrying, having done your civic duty.

Yeah, I’d read that they actually just bin them and then ten driver has to pay for a new one, so I thought it would stop that needless waste and expense, but I think I’ve done as much as I can.
Yes, you've put way more of your own time into this than it will cost them to order a new one.

Author:  Mimi [ Sat Jun 04, 2022 18:06 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

You are right Bik,

I did that, because what you said made good sense. I felt a bit bad, but there are positive reasons (security, and hopefully she’ll update her address details on the license this way) to send it back, too.

Author:  BikNorton [ Sat Jun 04, 2022 22:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

No reason at all for you to feel bad - you've put hours into trying to sort it out for the holder and they just haven't cared enough to accept your help.

Most people would've ignored it entirely, not even bothered sending it in, never mind all the help you've offered.

Author:  Kern [ Sun Jun 05, 2022 18:40 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Hate to break it to everyone, but it's a normal Monday tomorrow.


But I've had a busy, varied, and fun few days so it'll have been worth it.

Giphy "sunday night dread":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/TrgAAwTiTfHhhH40jJ/giphy-loop.mp4

Author:  Kern [ Sun Jun 05, 2022 18:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Oh god, Giphy's discovered irony.

Author:  Malc [ Sun Jun 12, 2022 21:44 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Picked my son up from Uni on Friday/Saturday, so today has felt like the first day of the weekend and I'm really annoyed that it's Monday tomorrow and back to work.

Author:  JBR [ Sun Jun 12, 2022 22:16 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I dislike that feeling (I've forgotten it, but still, I dislike it).

Author:  Grim... [ Fri Jun 17, 2022 19:16 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Steam fair, bitches!

Attachment:
20220617_182140.jpg


Attachment:
20220617_182527.jpg

Author:  TheVision [ Fri Jun 17, 2022 19:58 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Nice! How old is that Tractor Grim...?

Author:  BikNorton [ Fri Jun 17, 2022 21:11 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Disappointed the bar tent isn't two sections longer for additional BAR capacity during this weather, and efficient breakfast capacity in the AM.

Author:  Grim... [ Fri Jun 17, 2022 22:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

TheVision wrote:
Nice! How old is that Tractor Grim...?

75 this year!

Author:  Findus Fop [ Fri Jun 17, 2022 22:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Nice! How old is that Tractor Grim...?

75 this year!


Looks good for its age. Is it a JBR?

Author:  Malc [ Fri Jun 17, 2022 23:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Attachment:
Screenshot_20220617-235219.png


The Weather God's wrote:
Hah, plan to enjoy the nice weather over the weekend? Think again puny humans!

Author:  KovacsC [ Mon Jun 20, 2022 16:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I am not sure I like middle age... I have spent part of my bonus on a Bin and a soda stream subscription...

Author:  Cras [ Mon Jun 20, 2022 17:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

KovacsC wrote:
I am not sure I like middle age... I have spent part of my bonus on a Bin and a soda stream subscription...


I spent mine on my tax bill, so it could be worse.

Author:  KovacsC [ Mon Jun 20, 2022 17:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Cras wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
I am not sure I like middle age... I have spent part of my bonus on a Bin and a soda stream subscription...


I spent mine on my tax bill, so it could be worse.


Ouch...

Author:  Kern [ Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Uh-oh, looks like the Yoko Ono Bot has become sentient.

https://twitter.com/yokoonobot/status/1 ... 6168237058



Author:  MaliA [ Wed Jun 22, 2022 17:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Half five, eh? Thank goodness for a breeze.

Author:  Kern [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:58 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Headline of the day (and possible exciting new career opportunity):

Oxford Mail: Naked Butler Service says there is a shortage of topless men

Quote:
[The owner] believes there are a lack of recruits due to men being unaware of the role and its benefits

Author:  Mimi [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:20 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

If you were born between 1970 and 1990 as the majority of people here were, you likely haven’t had an MMR. My nurse was very insistent that I got mine last year and I finally got around to actually booking it a few weeks back. It’s two doses, four weeks apart.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/mmr-vaccine/

I usually have a swollen and sore arm after vaccines, but not this one at all. I thought I had an arm ache yesterday but it turned out to be both arms after I’d been carrying 50ltr bags of compost.

Anyway, with a lot of childhood diseases on the rise, and many with worse consequences for adults, it might be worth booking for your MMR.

Author:  markg [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Had my second MMR jab just the other week as it goes, I'd got a promotion at work and even though I've been there 20 years and had changes of role before it came up as part of the pre-employment checks because it's NHS. Also gave me Hep B vaccine while they were at it.

Author:  DavPaz [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I had my MMR a few months back when the GP noticed a gap in my records.

Author:  Trooper [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I've just checked my NHS app and even with the coded records I have nothing listed at all.
I definitely has stuff at school though, the sugar cube thing, an injection, and the disk of a thousand needles. No idea what each of them were though.

Although, i've had Measles, Mumps and Rubella when I was a kid, so I expect I didn't get the MMR vaccine :D

Author:  Mimi [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:44 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

MMR wasn’t introduced in the U.K. until 1988, and wasn’t routinely given until 1991, when they started giving it to babies, so unless you were born after 1990 you probably did not have it.

At school we had different vaccines for different diseases (tetanus, diphtheria, polio, etc) including the one with the drops on the tongue and the one that leaves the scar (BCG, for tuberculosis) which they don’t routinely give any more (weird to think there is now a generation of humans walking around the streets without a big dimple on their arms, it’s like not having a belly button :D).

Author:  KovacsC [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I just realise how old I am.. I think I had the separate ones.. The circle of spikes, imagine them trying to do that now.

Author:  Jem [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:51 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I didn't have the MMR because my mum was a tinfoil-hatter. They gave my the rubella jab after I gave birth to Izzy though.

Author:  MaliA [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I can't find any vaccination records on the NHS app.

Author:  GazChap [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I thought I'd had all my jabs, but now I'm thinking not.

I definitely remember having the polio vaccine (timely given yesterday's news) because of the awful taste and the sugar they give you afterwards, and I thought I had the BCG jab but I have no scar on my arm -- I remember having a jab in my upper arm though, perhaps that was tetanus.

Author:  Mimi [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:03 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

KovacsC wrote:
I just realise how old I am.. I think I had the separate ones.. The circle of spikes, imagine them trying to do that now.

The circle of spikes is the test for the BCG booster, I think. If you got a full ring of raised bumps you still had immunity, but if any of those bumps didn’t come up then you needed a booster. They don’t do that now as the BCG is no longer in the standard program of vaccinations as I guess cases of tuberculosis are now very rare.

We also had an injection at school when I was around 14/15, the tetanus dipheria and polio booster, I think that was.

Author:  Mimi [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

GazChap wrote:
I thought I'd had all my jabs, but now I'm thinking not.

I definitely remember having the polio vaccine (timely given yesterday's news) because of the awful taste and the sugar they give you afterwards, and I thought I had the BCG jab but I have no scar on my arm -- I remember having a jab in my upper arm though, perhaps that was tetanus.


I think they used to give the tetanus, diptheria and polio vaccine at the same time. A shot in the arm and the drops on the tongue during the same visit, so tbat could be the ones.

As the NHS site said, very few people our age would have had the MMR because it just didn’t exist. You might have had one or two of the individual vaccines, depending on your age, but probably not all three.

Anyway, it might be worth checking with your nurse as it only takes a few seconds and then you are all strong and protec.

Author:  GazChap [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:21 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I assume I'd need boosters for most vaccines by now anyway -- other than the COVID one and my annual flu jab, I think the last one I had was a tetanus booster and that might have been over 10 years ago.

Author:  Cras [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:37 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

My polio was on a sugar cube, because it tasted awful

Author:  KovacsC [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I decided yesterday to convert my sim to an esim yesterday (so I can put my works sim in my phone and stop carrying 2 phones, as my works phone is as old as dirt and work will give me money towards a new personal handset).

As i did this EE went down and corrupted both my sim and esim. A lovely man at EE helped me sort it.

I am tempted to go sim only next contract and buy the handset. Has any one on here done that. does it save money?

Author:  KovacsC [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Cras wrote:
My polio was on a sugar cube, because it tasted awful


Yes it did :zombie:

Author:  GazChap [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

It's all I ever do these days, has been for years. Originally on giffgaff, but now with Smarty as they support wifi calling, which giffgaff doesn't and is critical for us because our garage converted office seems to act like a Faraday cage and blocks mobile signals.

With iPhone, you can also use the iPhone Upgrade Programme where you buy a handset at 0% interest on a 20 month agreement, but after 11 months you can trade it in for a new one if you so desire -- or just continue to pay the last 9 instalments and then keep the phone.

Author:  KovacsC [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 13:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

GazChap wrote:
It's all I ever do these days, has been for years. Originally on giffgaff, but now with Smarty as they support wifi calling, which giffgaff doesn't and is critical for us because our garage converted office seems to act like a Faraday cage and blocks mobile signals.

With iPhone, you can also use the iPhone Upgrade Programme where you buy a handset at 0% interest on a 20 month agreement, but after 11 months you can trade it in for a new one if you so desire -- or just continue to pay the last 9 instalments and then keep the phone.


I will look at the iPhone upgrade as that sounds perfect. I won't be trading in as my son gets my old iphone.

Author:  MaliA [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 13:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Cras wrote:
My polio was on a sugar cube, because it tasted awful


Me and my mate blundered into a classroom once and found a big pile of sugar cubes on a plate, ate a load, and scarpered when we heard a noise of the school nurse.

No side effects.

Author:  Mimi [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 13:58 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

MaliA wrote:
Me and my mate blundered into a classroom once and found a big pile of sugar cubes on a plate, ate a load, and scarpered when we heard a noise of the school nurse.

No side effects.

Which is frankly amazing as she’d been prepping for the staff end-of-term LSD party.

Author:  JBR [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 14:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

KovacsC wrote:
I decided yesterday to convert my sim to an esim yesterday (so I can put my works sim in my phone and stop carrying 2 phones, as my works phone is as old as dirt and work will give me money towards a new personal handset).

As i did this EE went down and corrupted both my sim and esim. A lovely man at EE helped me sort it.

I am tempted to go sim only next contract and buy the handset. Has any one on here done that. does it save money?

I did that, and yes it saved money. Cheap smartphone, though. And it used to be a no-brainer if you had the money - contracts were designed to be convenient, offer "free" upgrades to keep you in. At some point contracts got competitive with just buying the phone, presumably because enough people were buying the bits separately to force them to. Now competitiveness seems to come and go. Fairly easy to check, at least.

Author:  KovacsC [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 15:35 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Fab, my contract is up in November, just in time for Black Friday :)

Author:  Mr Dave [ Thu Jun 23, 2022 15:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

I think the last time I had a non sim free contract was in 2010. Unless you're after the latest phone, there seems little point in not being. And given that it feels like phones haven't been getting particularly useful hardware updates for a while, I just keep phones until they break.

But I'm the wrong person to come to for financial advice.

Author:  Grim... [ Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Cras wrote:
My polio was on a sugar cube, because it tasted awful

Dude, were you a horse when you were younger?

Author:  Cras [ Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:18 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bits and Bobs 51

Would explain the dude on my back

Page 41 of 42 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/