Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 51
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:51 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Army officers have appeared on national television in Gabon to say they have taken power.
They said they were annulling the results of Saturday's election, in which President Ali Bongo was declared the winner.

Attachment:
Ali Bongo.jpg

I'm not surprised, as he died on 8 March 2009.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:42 
Isn't that lovely?

Attachment:
PXL_20230830_112418736.jpg

A Bird of Prey landing on my decking!

Please forgive the horrid quality of the photo, the door to my office has steamed up between the layers of glass. I wanted to take a picture before I stood up, as I knew there was a high chance of it flying away if it heard/saw me.

Indeed as soon as I stood up, it flew off, so this is the best I have :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:48 

Malc wrote:
Indeed as soon as I stood up, it flew off, so this is the best I have :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 13:42 
sneering elitist

Woah :luv:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 17:07 
Isn't that lovely?

Thanks for cleaning that up Gaz.

And yeah, it was a big old bird (my view through my misty door, is not as obscured as my phone's camera was.

The bit of decking that the bird's tail is hanging over is about 20cm, which makes it about 60cm in my rough approximation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 22:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

Some of you already know this, but a couple of months ago I was looking for a hobby and started archery. 6 weeks of a beginner course and I now have a certificate and everything!

However today I won my first gold medal and a meerkat trophy, which ain't too bad considering some of the other archers had 10+ years of experience...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 22:40 
Decapodian

Now that summer has finally started we did the first full evening film in the garden.

With the “screen” hung off a washing line and weighted down with rocks at the bottom it looks pretty good. If I can find a larger sheet, I can get quite a bit bigger picture.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 22:43 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
Some of you already know this, but a couple of months ago I was looking for a hobby and started archery. 6 weeks of a beginner course and I now have a certificate and everything!

However today I won my first gold medal and a meerkat trophy, which ain't too bad considering some of the other archers had 10+ years of experience...

Well done!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:47 

Trooper wrote:

That’s ace! Well done on the medal!

Considered giving it a go myself, especially as I don’t really do air rifle anymore.

Is it expensive to get into?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:42 

Trooper wrote:

Excellent stuff!

Are you now looking at getting a fancy bow and other cool gear?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:56 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Now that summer has finally started we did the first full evening film in the garden.

With the “screen” hung off a washing line and weighted down with rocks at the bottom it looks pretty good. If I can find a larger sheet, I can get quite a bit bigger picture.

This looks excellent, and it looks like you’re going to have a few nice evenings for it at last.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:58 

Trooper wrote:

This also is excellent and sounds like a lot of fun. The meerkat trophy is a bit confusing though :D Any reason for it being a meerkat?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:

I believe it's like most other things - cheap to try out and then really expensive really fast as you immediately go and buy all the cool gear.

Or maybe that's just me :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

And you choose the correct film, good work.

How big will it go? And does it not attract moths and insects?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 18:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Trooper wrote:

That’s ace! Well done on the medal!

Considered giving it a go myself, especially as I don’t really do air rifle anymore.

Well now... if you want info I can dump info! :D

Cheap to start, you have 2 routes:
1. buy a crap chinese recurve bow, arrows and target set off ebay for about £100, and piss about in your back garden. Bows are classed as sporting equipment in the UK and are legal to use on your own property, assuming you have the space or really hate your neighbours... Obviously the overarching deadly weapon laws still apply, so you do have to be careful, if you hit someone or something that isn't your own, expect to be in lots of trouble. To shoot on land that isn't your own, you need permission from the landowner. It's not legal to shoot on public land (unless you get a letter from the King I guess...)

so the best route is and the one I did:
Go to a local club and do a beginner course for 6 weeks for £45. Use all their kit and get a certificate at the end that you can take to any club to show you know one end of the bow from another and can join their club. You can't just join a club without some sort of proof you have had training, mainly around the range rules etc... which are the same everywhere, but strictly adhered to for obvious reasons. Joining a club will cost about £100 a year, £50 to the club to pay for general club stuff (ground hire, target replacement, club equipment, meerkat trophies etc...) and £50 to become a member of ArcheryGB (the governing body) which gives you insurance and stuff. Every archer who shoots at any club has to join ArcheryGB I think, mainly due to the insurance it comes from.
Depending on the club, they may let you use their kit for a period of time until you know what style you want to shoot. Longbow, flatbow, horsebow, barebow, olympic recurve, compound etc... I shoot a mix of barebow and olympic recurve, as they can both be done with the same kit (barebow is the same kit as olympic, you just take the sight off and change a few things in your form). After a month or so the club will want that bow for other people, so you need to buy your own.

Now it's not as simple as just buying a bow, a recurve bow setup is actually multiple different pieces of kit working together.
Riser (the bit you hold)
Limbs (stick on the top and bottom and do the bendy springy bit)
string (string)
rest (the bit you put on your riser to stop the arrow falling off when you are trying to shoot it)
arrows (the bits that stick into stuff)
stringer (big black dude is surprisngly english you learn in later years)
other stringer (the thing you use to put your string on your bow)
tab (protects your fingers from the string cutting them in half)
armguard (protects your arm from the string cutting it in half)
arrow puller (to get your arrows out of the target)
bow stand (so you don't get it dirty)
sight (for cheats who can't handle barebow)
finger sling (so you don't drop your bow after you shoot)
stabiliser rod (sticks out the end for some reason, I guess I'll find out one day)
plunger button (no idea reallym, apparently it helps the arrow fly straight, but who knows how)
quiver (somewhere other than the target to put your arrows)
bag (to put it all in)

If you go brand new for all of that, for stuff that is good enough to last you a while (apart from the limbs, they have different draw weights, you start light and get heavier, so your first limbs will definitely get replaced at some point), it'll probably cost about £500-600. If you go second hand you can do it for around £350 all in.

Then you can do stuff like pay £900 for some carbon limbs, as that will definitely make you shoot straighter, and you can't seriously expect to be able to hit anything with a £50 sight can you? You have to spend £300 on a top of the range one. Those £8 a piece arrows? Worthless. What you need is some carbon arrows with a custom wrap and 300 grain tip, bargain at £40 each, etc...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 18:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mimi wrote:
Trooper wrote:

This also is excellent and sounds like a lot of fun. The meerkat trophy is a bit confusing though :D Any reason for it being a meerkat?

No idea, but I expect that is is holding a bow is the main criteria, and the meerkat was a bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 19:59 
Decapodian

Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

And you choose the correct film, good work.

How big will it go? And does it not attract moths and insects?

That's a double bed sheet which appears to be 230 x 275cm but I've found 4 metre cotton dust sheets that should work. I reckon if I go much bigger I'll lose too much brightness.

No problems with moths being attracted, just a 6 month old kitten pouncing onto the planes!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:43 
Skillmeister

I always wanted to try archery cos it's cooler than darts. Which is pretty cool to begin with. *pats gut*

But then I saw this guy.

and realised it was even cooler!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:28 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Oh God, back in the day Lars Anderson ignited some sort of horrific, all-consuming Holy War in the historical martial arts / re-enactment worlds with his videos. There are still parts of Facebook that are uninhabitable because of the fallout. Tread warily, traveller, lest you unleash forces beyond your ken.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:53 
Unpossible!

Ha, it's brilliant. It's like Star Wars kid doing Legolas, but actually doing it well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:07 

Trooper wrote:

That's some good shit, cheers. Doesn't sound as expensive as air rifle shooting, so I reckon that's a solid bonus right there ;)

There's probably also more archery ranges around here than there are air rifle ranges (which is likely why, when I was doing air rifle weekly, we had to shoot inside pubs) so easier to keep going with, too.

I'll see if I can find a local archery course at some point, then!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:26 
Gogmagog

Only shoot outside pubs near me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Trooper wrote:

That's some good shit, cheers. Doesn't sound as expensive as air rifle shooting, so I reckon that's a solid bonus right there ;)

There's probably also more archery ranges around here than there are air rifle ranges (which is likely why, when I was doing air rifle weekly, we had to shoot inside pubs) so easier to keep going with, too.

I'll see if I can find a local archery course at some point, then!

It's a mix of indoor and outdoor ranges for archery, indoor is usually sports halls and the like as it's shot at 18m, so needs a hefty room.

Northampton seems to be some sort of weird nexus or archery, we have three clubs in the town alone. I chose the one that was running the beginner course at the time, but they seem a very chilled out and relaxed bunch, and the coaches enjoy coaching as much as shooting, so are happy to give lessons for free if you are serious about getting better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

Squirt wrote:
Oh God, back in the day Lars Anderson ignited some sort of horrific, all-consuming Holy War in the historical martial arts / re-enactment worlds with his videos. There are still parts of Facebook that are uninhabitable because of the fallout. Tread warily, traveller, lest you unleash forces beyond your ken.

I'm new to the world and Lars is one of the first things you encounter, so it's still going on :D
I don't think he is incorrect, but the way he presents stuff gets people riled up. Modern archery is just different, not wrong. It's all about single shot pinpoint accuracy at 70m these days (and hunting if you are a yank), so it's no wonder nobody even thinks about combat shooting, which is what Lars is all about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:48 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Well, the historical people will say that many of his historical claims are not backed up by the historical record and many of the techniques he uses would not be possible with a combat-weight bow and arrows! I guess he's annoying people from both sides of the spectrum!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

Squirt wrote:
Well, the historical people will say that many of his historical claims are not backed up by the historical record and many of the techniques he uses would not be possible with a combat-weight bow and arrows! I guess he's annoying people from both sides of the spectrum!

Indeed, no way you are doing that with a 200lb 7ft longbow!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 13:54 
Hibernating Druid

It’s all really far fletched.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 14:18 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

He's the butt of a lot of jokes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 14:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

His skills make me all aquiver.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 14:22 
Unpossible!

Knock it off!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 14:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

*cough* nock *cough*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 15:01 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Squirt wrote:
He's the butt of a lot of jokes.

Actually, I don't think this works as a pun, as the usage of the word "butt" here basically is already the archery term - "butt" meaning target.

But take a bow every one who did make a pun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 16:49 
Hibernating Druid

I’ve gone all of a quiver.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 17:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bzzz repetition

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 17:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Does that mean I win?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 17:14 
Hibernating Druid

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 17:14 
Hibernating Druid

I feel like a right shaft now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 17:22 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I honestly don't think anyone has won here.

Arrows.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 19:26 

My dream address in Bicester would be Crumps Butts.

Giphy "good night everybody!":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/xUOLdPyT7xHLaA9Aff/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Trooper wrote:

No idea, but I expect that is is holding a bow is the main criteria, and the meerkat was a bonus.

Attachment:
375069827_10230064728220462_3996807365764888227_n.jpg

Attachment:
375065331_10230064729700499_1771632135215347441_n.jpg

Attachment:
374645824_10230064722580321_7472809127195520040_n.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:20 

I wondered if maybe it was a fox, like in Disney’s Robin Hood, but that’s definitely a meerkat.

Makes sense, as Sherwood Forest is full of meerkats.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:34 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

My theory - some factory somewhere made a bunch of Meerkat Robin Hoods as some sort of proposed tie-in with a CompareTheMarket Meerkats marketing campaign that never actually took place. They therefore have a warehouse full of them, and are selling them as cut-price archery trophies as a way to shift them

But fantastic job on winning it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 19:50 
Skillmeister

As a man of generous helpings, I FUCKING LOATHE this here weather we've got. My sister's partner bought me this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Blade ... B0B12N5DCP and it's delightful. I recommend the thing and I apologise for the amazons.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 19:54 

Those are ace. I got one after my Ma’s partner recommended it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 23:32 
Isn't that lovely?

Think I just saw a lightning flash from my living room window (which looks South East from Ivybridge)
Thought I'd check a tracker:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20230909-232927.png

Yup I probably did.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 23:51 
Isn't that lovely?

It's now full on raining

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 0:07 
Skillmeister

Malc wrote:
It's now full on raining

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 14:04 
Sitting balls-back folder

I can never remember/find the thread where people post about unusual aircraft they see.

An A400M flying over our house is still quite unusual, even in terms of military aircraft that do so. It was probably headed towards Worcester.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 14:08 

As it went back over on its return journey higher up!
https://www.flightradar24.com/BLNHM99/31f79bd5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 14:23 

Going over @maliA's house in a minute I think.

Reply to topic  [ 2953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 60  Next