Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What is the name of this british tv show?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 16:03 

vegetables wrote:
I heard that nobody could cancel TPOLAAPOC for the longest while because the creator of it is/was very high up at the BBC, and anyone who said the show was shit would never be comissioned again. I've no idea if that's true, but from what I've read about the way the place works it probably is.

When the show first came out, they made a big fuss over how the writer and creator of the show was some 16 year old girl that sent her script ideas into the BBC. So probably not.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 17:53 
Bored Now

RuySan wrote:
Yes i found it funny. But maybe i just got lucky. The other day i also see the last 5 min of it and i liked it. Or maybe it was because afterwards they aired Son of the Beach, and it made that british show looked like seinfeld.

I've had to join purely to defend Son Of The Beach. It's one of the funniest shows ever - certainly beating Two Pints into a cocked hat.

Yes, it's immature humour, but is that a bad thing? Perhaps you were watching one of the awful episodes written by the producer Howard Stern (Queefer Madness/Saturday Night Queef are dire).

And it should be applauded for giving us one of the best characters in My Name Is Earl - that of Tim Stack the failed actor from Son Of The Beach.

Plus Jaime Bergman as BJ Cummings? And it's worse than a show with Natalie Cassidy?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 17:58 
baron of techno

Welcome then!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 18:50 
lazy eye patch

I INSIST uppi17 set his avatar to Huffer, or it just won't feel right.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 19:58 
Space detective

uppi17 wrote:
And it should be applauded for giving us one of the best characters in My Name Is Earl - that of Tim Stack the failed actor from Son Of The Beach.

While I never really took to Son Of The Beach, a quick word of appreciation for Tim Stack. He co-created and co-wrote all of Son Of The Beach, as well as several episodes of My Name Is Earl (the definitive live-action US sitcom of the '00s? Arguably: yes), he was also the star of the majestic Springer spoof Night Stand with Dick Dietrick. For the most part, Night Stand ran as part of the little-seen Lucas And Walliams (then known in their short-lived but great 'Mash & Peas' guise) Spoofovision strand on a fledgeling Paramount Comedy Channel in the mid-1990s.

Quote:
"Tonight, we're talking about euthanasia. And [chuckles], I don't mean my annual trip to Bangkok!"

In a splendid example of Archive.org's Wayback Machine doing what I want it to for once, the NightStand website from eleven years ago is still visible. The show really was a lot funnier than the website, I hasten to add. The video clips even still work, but with it being a website from 1997, it concentrates wholly on the clips with mid-1990s 'babes' in them, and as such the jokes don't really work out of context.

Ah, Internet-'97. You so crazy, what with your unoptimised audio formats and all. The show did make it to Channel Five not too long after launch, where it was quietly shoved into a plum 4am Saturday morning slot, meaning hardly anyone remembers it. Thank the stars for YouTube.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 21:13 
Kindly deeds done for free

Mark X wrote:
For the most part, Night Stand ran as part of the little-seen Lucas And Walliams (then known in their short-lived but great 'Mash & Peas' guise) Spoofovision strand on a fledgeling Paramount Comedy Channel in the mid-1990s.

I never saw a full Spoofovision programme but I remember Paramount using various M&P sketches to fill the gaps between programmes. Some awesome person has uploaded a bunch of them on YouTube as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 21:19 
Excellent Member

Night Stand was absolutely awesome.

It also helped that the star was the dad in the brilliant Parker Lewis Can't Lose, which for the first two series or so was amazingly good stuff.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 21:31 
Space detective

tossrStu wrote:
I never saw a full Spoofovision programme but I remember Paramount using various M&P sketches to fill the gaps between programmes. Some awesome person has uploaded a bunch of them on YouTube as well.

Fan-fucking-tastic. How come those clips (total viewing audience: 27) contain more well-crafted original thought than the last two series of Little Britain combined, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 22:10 
Space detective

Excellent and vaguely videogame-related YouTube thing: Dominic Diamond loses it with David Walliams.

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2