Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:44 
Numbskull

NervousPete wrote:
Hey MrC, I'm really sorry to hear about this, but at the same time I'm kind of admiring as to how you're facing it and using your terrible experience to warn others. Thinking of you and yours. x

Also now in this shut-in world I'm stuck in at the moment thinking about my own intake levels. I think I could do with keeping an eye on my recent intake myself. A few too many quiz nights where I've cracked open a couple of cans, I better not let it get out of hand since the temptation is always there to raise a glass to another over the video link-up - and there's a lot of video link-ups. Think I'll start alternating it with a nice pot of tea by my side, instead.

Cheers Pete, it was the least I could do after all this place has given me, especially as I'm not such a regular contributor. Like I've mentioned, nothing would make me happier than making even one person spot it before crossing that dreaded "decompensated" line. I'd never even heard the term before diagnosis and didn't feel in any way ill beforehand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:53 
Numbskull

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
NervousPete wrote:
Hey MrC, I'm really sorry to hear about this, but at the same time I'm kind of admiring as to how you're facing it and using your terrible experience to warn others. Thinking of you and yours. x

Also now in this shut-in world I'm stuck in at the moment thinking about my own intake levels. I think I could do with keeping an eye on my recent intake myself. A few too many quiz nights where I've cracked open a couple of cans, I better not let it get out of hand since the temptation is always there to raise a glass to another over the video link-up - and there's a lot of video link-ups. Think I'll start alternating it with a nice pot of tea by my side, instead.

All of this.

Not having to get up for work as early, or drive the next morning and just staying at home makes most evenings feel like a weekend at the moment. It's do easy to just have a glass (or more) of wine/gin/whatever just because you can.

Thank you so much! I know we've already spoken (in the virtual world), but it means a lot to us, especially coming from you). Say hi to Joans as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:07 
Numbskull

Mr Chonks wrote:
I think we have to remember that alcohol is a highly addictive drug and we shouldn’t beat ourselves up too heavily about overindulging, especially in this time of extreme boredom and stress. There’s a great book that Jem put me onto which really helped me called This Naked Mind. Even if you’re not keen on stopping completely, if you feel you are drinking too much it may help to understand the physiological and psychological effects it has on you (even if you think you know already but don’t fully understand, and even if you already do it’s still worth reading).

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/ ... naked-mind

I stopped completely for seven months after reading this.

Sounds interesting, and there's plenty of time for reading the way things are at the moment, so I for one will take a look.

This doesn't affect me personally, but for the smokers out there, I can recommend the book "C" by the late John Diamond. Warning - it's a tough read, to put it mildly, and utterly tragic, but his strength is inspiring.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 0:03 
Numbskull

Just thought I'd re-visit this thread in case there were any questions that might need answering. Turns out there weren't, which is probably good news. Offer still stands, goes without saying. I'm still realatively stable, btw, albeit stable with bad numbers.

I probably said this before, and even if so it's worth repeating anyway. I've never met any of you face to face, at most whatsapp or the like, but I was massively impressed with the lack of blame, not a single negative message, and for that I want to thank you all however things go. This is a good place, worth keeping going (if there's ever a fundraiser, I'm in).

One thing i wanted to say, if a bit morbid, is that when confronted with your own mortality, you think differently. In my case I want to squeeze out every bit of life with things I enjoy and people I love. I've learned that there is no point worrying about things you cannot influence, so focus on the things that you can. It's the bleeding obvious again, isn't it?

Another little thing - we're all used to complainng when things go wrong, which is fine, but when they go right / better than expected, a "thank you" is a must as far as I see it.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 0:58 
Lord Humongous

Any health scare puts your life(style) into sharp focus. I really hope you can turn this around mate, I’ve been very lucky to be able to do so... I still slip into bad habits but most of the time I treat my body far better than I used to.

And yeah, it’s alright here :)

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:14 
gooby pls

MrC wrote:
but when they go right / better than expected, a "thank you" is a must as far as I see it.

Absolutely - too few people think about this!

Glad to read that you're stable, MrC. Keep on truckin' :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:05 
Numbskull

Zardoz wrote:
Any health scare puts your life(style) into sharp focus. I really hope you can turn this around mate, I’ve been very lucky to be able to do so... I still slip into bad habits but most of the time I treat my body far better than I used to.

And yeah, it’s alright here :)

That's pretty much how I see it, treat your body a bit better but don't break down in insane depression if you have an occasional burger or anything like that, as becoming a vegan / casting a suspicious eye overy every little thing you eat or do is (for me, at least) a fate worse than death. I can't turn it around as such, but I can put the brakes on, have done, so far so good. I did ask at the time, and I've already well beaten the life epectancy figures they gave me (they don't like to be too precise as, as my own GP - fantastic guy, btw, boy, did I get lucky there -said the disease has what the Germans call an "Eigenleben", a life of its own. Strangely, I quite like that. Here's a thing - in your twenties, for example, you feel immortal, getting older gives you a not entirely unpleasnt perspective about where things are going, which influences everything. I used to think I'd rather go quick (snap, heart attack etc), but slow is good - loads of opportunities to talk and forgive and tie up loose ends.

Zardoz, I'd love to hear your story, but this is just an internet forum and I haven't met you, so that's probably a no-go, but you know where I am if I'm wrong. And thanks again, btw.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:12 
Numbskull

GazChap wrote:
MrC wrote:
but when they go right / better than expected, a "thank you" is a must as far as I see it.

Absolutely - too few people think about this!

Glad to read that you're stable, MrC. Keep on truckin' :)

Thanks for that GazChap, you'd be surprised how much messages like that mean in terms of a positive boost. Stable is good, it means you're slowing things down as much as you can. I want to live to see another World Cup, even if it has to be in winter in Qatar (mad, but still a World Cup). Oh, and I don't have a truck, so it would be "keep on Golfin'".

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2