Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 16:38 
User avatar
Numbskull

Joined: 29th Aug, 2008
Posts: 761
Location: teutonia
KovacsC wrote:
I have caught up with this thread.

It is great to read your updates.

Myp awesome work on being sober for a year.


Thank you, Sir. I'm always happy to write and also answer any questions, should they pop up.
Agree with you about Myp, by the way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 16:47 
User avatar
Numbskull

Joined: 29th Aug, 2008
Posts: 761
Location: teutonia
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
MrC wrote:
As far as my health goes, it's as unpredictable as ever, but I've managed to pick up a rather large plum of a hernia. Have to wait until February for a first hospital appointment (I think they're quite full with Covid patients, so I don't mind). Talking of Covid, Germany is struggling a bit now as well - we have a curfew from eight in the evening until five in the morning. On the plus side, it means things are a bit quieter...

It's always so lovely to hear from you in this thread (and a bit of a relief that you are okay and f I am honest).

Sorry to hear you now have other medical issues now, but hopefully they can be easily resolved in not too much time. Stay safe. Xx


You can hear from me as much as you want :D

As far as the hernia is concerned, I think it's relatively routine, even with a whopper like this. I've told them I won't do it without a general anaesthetic, though. Strangely enough I'm more worried about the examination by the surgeon to decide what technique he will choose. My GP had a good prod and knead and that hurt like hell for days.

Anyway, thanks for the best wishes and hopefully a Happy New Year (that applies to all of you, btw).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 16:51 
User avatar
Numbskull

Joined: 29th Aug, 2008
Posts: 761
Location: teutonia
Kern wrote:
Thanks for the update! Best wishes.

And yes, Hamilton is excellent.


Cheers Kern.

With the Hamilton thing, that's one of the positives in this situation - you end up paying more attention to things you might not have looked twice at in the past. In other words, it's not all bad - mostly, but not all. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 
User avatar
Numbskull

Joined: 29th Aug, 2008
Posts: 761
Location: teutonia
MrC wrote:
Kern wrote:
Thanks for the update! Best wishes.

And yes, Hamilton is excellent.


Cheers Kern.

With the Hamilton thing, that's one of the positives in this situation - you end up paying more attention to things you might not have looked twice at in the past. In other words, it's not all bad - mostly, but not all. :D



Jeez, I'm now down to quoting myself...but the Hamilton musical has become my "happy place", getting me through dark times - must have watched/listened to it a dozen times and it's absolutely dripping with genius. I can't recommend it enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 15:33 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3721
Hamilton is on our list to watch.

Like many people, I've done Dry January this year.

I think it's the first time I've gone without a drink for longer than a week for 20-odd years.

I've found the weekends dragging, I must confess, even though there's no going out to be done, but it has thrown into sharp refresh how habitual my drinking was.

Lockdown obviously exacerbated the situation, but I got to drinking every night, often without deriving any pleasure from it.

I will definitely drink again (he promises) but I will be doing so which a much greater awareness and control (I hope).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 16:35 
User avatar
Numbskull

Joined: 29th Aug, 2008
Posts: 761
Location: teutonia
Findus Fop wrote:
Hamilton is on our list to watch.

Like many people, I've done Dry January this year.

I think it's the first time I've gone without a drink for longer than a week for 20-odd years.

I've found the weekends dragging, I must confess, even though there's no going out to be done, but it has thrown into sharp refresh how habitual my drinking was.

Lockdown obviously exacerbated the situation, but I got to drinking every night, often without deriving any pleasure from it.

I will definitely drink again (he promises) but I will be doing so which a much greater awareness and control (I hope).


I hope I played even a tiny role in this, it would mean alot.

As for Hamilton, you can see a good version of the stage show on (a slightly less than legal PC app - I'm sure you know what I mean, it's Kodi, sorry kinda obvious).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 17:33 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3721
MrC wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Hamilton is on our list to watch.

Like many people, I've done Dry January this year.

I think it's the first time I've gone without a drink for longer than a week for 20-odd years.

I've found the weekends dragging, I must confess, even though there's no going out to be done, but it has thrown into sharp refresh how habitual my drinking was.

Lockdown obviously exacerbated the situation, but I got to drinking every night, often without deriving any pleasure from it.

I will definitely drink again (he promises) but I will be doing so which a much greater awareness and control (I hope).


I hope I played even a tiny role in this, it would mean alot.

As for Hamilton, you can see a good version of the stage show on (a slightly less than legal PC app - I'm sure you know what I mean, it's Kodi, sorry kinda obvious).


You certainly did! I've found myself reflecting a lot on your comments about the creeping nature of alcohol abuse, and how normal it can feel, belying the damage it may be doing to you. Thank you :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 17:49 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 22481
Hey Mr C. I always want to reply to this thread but don’t always know what to say. I guess I just want to say that I’m reading along and admire you greatly. I don’t drink at all, but (and partly because) I’ve seen people’s lives ruined by alcohol in various (but in my experience mostly violent) ways, and not just the person with the alcoholism, so every time I read here and seeing so many people responding to say they’ve taken stock and put stoppers in place to stop that creeping normalising of it as part of routine lifestyle I feel admiration and gratitude that you are sharing your journey.

Sorry, those sentences are horribly constructed. I’m sure there’s a proofreader and editor around here somewhere. I hope you get the sense of what I mean, though. xx

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 18:15 
User avatar
Numbskull

Joined: 29th Aug, 2008
Posts: 761
Location: teutonia
Findus Fop wrote:
MrC wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Hamilton is on our list to watch.

Like many people, I've done Dry January this year.

I think it's the first time I've gone without a drink for longer than a week for 20-odd years.

I've found the weekends dragging, I must confess, even though there's no going out to be done, but it has thrown into sharp refresh how habitual my drinking was.

Lockdown obviously exacerbated the situation, but I got to drinking every night, often without deriving any pleasure from it.

I will definitely drink again (he promises) but I will be doing so which a much greater awareness and control (I hope).


I hope I played even a tiny role in this, it would mean alot.

As for Hamilton, you can see a good version of the stage show on (a slightly less than legal PC app - I'm sure you know what I mean, it's Kodi, sorry kinda obvious).


You certainly did! I've found myself reflecting a lot on your comments about the creeping nature of alcohol abuse, and how normal it can feel, belying the damage it may be doing to you. Thank you :)


You can't believe how delighted I am to hear that. Thank you and well done, Sir. You're spot on when you say it can feel normal, but abuse it certainly is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 18:34 
User avatar
Numbskull

Joined: 29th Aug, 2008
Posts: 761
Location: teutonia
Mimi wrote:
Hey Mr C. I always want to reply to this thread but don’t always know what to say. I guess I just want to say that I’m reading along and admire you greatly. I don’t drink at all, but (and partly because) I’ve seen people’s lives ruined by alcohol in various (but in my experience mostly violent) ways, and not just the person with the alcoholism, so every time I read here and seeing so many people responding to say they’ve taken stock and put stoppers in place to stop that creeping normalising of it as part of routine lifestyle I feel admiration and gratitude that you are sharing your journey.

Sorry, those sentences are horribly constructed. I’m sure there’s a proofreader and editor around here somewhere. I hope you get the sense of what I mean, though. xx


Yeah they were some dodgy sentences, but I'm always delighted to hear from you. I'd be happy to take on the role of proofreader, one bag of Wotsits an hour would seem to be a reasonable fee. Plus maybe some pickled onions, I am hooked on those again.

I thank you for the admiration, coming from a forum member that I greatly respect. Maybe you can knit me a new liver...sorry, my sense of humour is all over the place, but keeps me and my wife going.

I will continue to share, as long as there are people to listen. I'm relieved to be able to say my own alcoholism was never violent. Not what you'd call a big boast, but better than nothing.

At the moment I'm focussed on the upcoming hernia examination and the following op. Goes without saying I'm terrified, but I think I have the mental strength to get through it.

And you lot have helped make that possible - I can't repeat that often enough.

For you Mimi, we both send or love for you and yours, your coments have been a huge help for which I say than you again xx


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Pod People, Squirt, The Greys and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.