Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:58 
Excellent Member

Wondering how to figure Christmas myself. I'm wanting to visit my parents over the five days in Cheltenham, but I'm going to have to do a personal two week lockdown before then to minimise any risk.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 13:18 
Comfortably Dumb

NervousPete wrote:
Wondering how to figure Christmas myself. I'm wanting to visit my parents over the five days in Cheltenham, but I'm going to have to do a personal two week lockdown before then to minimise any risk.

I'm unsure about it too. The usual routine is my parents would pick me up and we'd go to my brother's place in Manchester on Christmas Eve, but I'd rather just postpone any gettogether till next year. However, with Boris announcing this five-day window, I can see my parents taking that to mean it's fine to meet up, but it really doesn't feel like it is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 13:23 
Noob as of 6/8/10

KovacsC wrote:
devilman wrote:
My boss is annoyed that we'll be in Tier 3 and he actually used the line "There's no evidence for any of this, just data". :blown:

And we wonder why, people are struggling...

Is that comma intentional?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 13:32 
Excellent Member

devilman wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

I'm unsure about it too. The usual routine is my parents would pick me up and we'd go to my brother's place in Manchester on Christmas Eve, but I'd rather just postpone any gettogether till next year. However, with Boris announcing this five-day window, I can see my parents taking that to mean it's fine to meet up, but it really doesn't feel like it is.

I think I'm going to go into the lockdown mode, but let my parents know that it might be called off. I think they know it's 50/50 anyway and they asked me how I felt about it. Once I've started isolating (I do have a housemate but he keeps to himself and home-works, though he may pop out to a pub at one point with his extended, which is a weak spot) I'll see what those figures are doing. The problem is I'm not convinced at all as to the efficiency of track and trace and the accurate reporting of cases, there's more going around than is reported. This isn't a fault of the media, but it is the fault of poorly planned track and trace system. It may be a case of having to call it off, waiting for the inevitable late January lockdown and then doing Christmas after.

But if I feel confident that I've minimised my contacts and can get out there safely following a hermit-existence of fourteen days, then I'll do it.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 15:52 
Prince of Fops

NervousPete wrote:

Your comment about the two-week personal lockdown in order to see your parents reminds me of the Daniel Kitson show I watched a couple of weeks ago, as it's something he discusses in it.

The show itself is perhaps the funniest, truest examination of our lives since March. I laughed, I wept, and was rapt throughout, staring down the barrel at Daniel Kitson's face for ~90 minutes.

Even though it's a virtual gig, tickets have been selling out because he's only been selling to the capacity of the empty venues he's supporting and appearing in.

But if you can manage to get hold of a ticket, it's one of the very best ways to spend an evening at the moment.

https://www.danielkitson.com/livestuff?view=calendar&month=11-2020

P.S. Oh shit, it's his last show tonight, at the Torch Theatre. Hopefully he'll release a link online once the tour is over.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 16:23 
Soopah red DS

Findus Fop wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

P.S. Oh shit, it's his last show tonight, at the Torch Theatre. Hopefully he'll release a link online once the tour is over.

I got onto that just too late - and that was at the beginning of this week. I hope he'll do some more. I love the conceit of only selling as many tickets as there are seats in the theatre but, gah, meant it was oversubscribed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 16:27 
Prince of Fops

JBR wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

I got onto that just too late - and that was at the beginning of this week. I hope he'll do some more. I love the conceit of only selling as many tickets as there are seats in the theatre but, gah, meant it was oversubscribed.

Yeah, it's both a nice thought, and also meant tickets were evenly spread across theatres (i.e. people didn't just pile in on the first show). But I know so many people who missed it, and it feels a real shame. It's a really outstanding piece of work. Fingers crossed for more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 17:36 
Hibernating Druid

Don't all theatres sell the same amount of tickets as there are seats? Never seen anyone bringing their own.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 18:41 
Excellent Member

Aw! Thanks for the kind thought Findus Fop. I certainly hope they put it up for general consumption, especially since I'm going to have some time on my hands as I have just... no! But yes! ... found out that I have to go into self-isolation.

Long and short of it is that I met a friend at the pub on Sunday. She came down with the symptoms of a mild cough Monday, became concerned Tuesday and got a test in the evening. She got the results back as positive yesterday and messaged me, and I just saw the message today. Her symptoms are still mild, and I haven't developed any, but as I met her within 48 hours of her developing them I have to (quite rightly) go into self-isolation. I'll emerge blinking into the sunlight on the 7th of December. This legitimately sucks. Still, knock on wood eh? So far so good. I'll also get to do the interesting experiment of ordering food online. Never actually done that before. Me and my housemate have come up with a plan. He's still allowed to go out as I haven't developed symptoms, but I'll be keeping to my bedroom as much as (sigh) possible. With brief back-garden, kitchen and bathroom sojourns.

Fun times! (Gngh) At least now I can morally justify getting myself an expensive Mario game. Mario Kart or Mario Odyssey, though?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 18:45 

Hmm... Odyssey, I reckon, unless you are thinking of playing with your housemate quite often.

We really hope you stay well, Pete. You emerge shiny new the same day D does x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 17:12 
Soopah red DS

If anyone fancies Kitson's show, as mentioned above, it's on tomorrow. From his email, which offers the hope it'll be on again, on a night I can make:

Quote:
www.unionchapel.org.uk/venue/whats-on/daniel-kitson-dot-dot-dot

I'm sorry if its already sold out by the time you get this but i'll be in touch in the next couple of weeks about other stuff, so do me a solid and chill out, yeah?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:34 
Master of dodgy spelling....

The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for widespread use.

Which is great news.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:18 
Hibernating Druid

Hope you and your friend are ok, Pete.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:26 
Unpossible!

Totally missed your post Pete. Hope you haven't gone stir crazy yet!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 

Mimi wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
wonder if this is national?

It isn’t, sadly.

I’m really, really angry.

So, a bit of back story. A few years ago we had 18 libraries in the Walsall metropolitan area. The local Tory-run council decided to shut 17 of those, leaving just one. In the end two others stayed open due to massive campaigning, on the understanding that they be volunteer run and employed no paid staff. And it’s been that way for about two years.

In Lockdown, libraries shut. After lockdown they never reopened for about three months, the finally one branch (the original one selected to stay open) offered a ring and read service. Click and collect from outside the door, basically.

In second lockdown that service stopped again.

Now this
Quote:
He said a review has been launched into library provision in the borough, with no decision expected until January.

Mr Bird said: “We are reviewing the situation at the moment but we are not planning to reopen all the libraries at the drop of a hat.

“We are looking at a phased approach. I’m a firm believer that if we haven’t used something for the past four or five months, do we really need it?

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/loc ... U8YomUSd20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Sound advice there. I haven't used my car or house insurance in years!

I'll probably just cancel them based on that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 14:30 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Rudy Giuliani asked witness to remove Covid mask at Michigan hearing four days before positive test announced

What a wazzock.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 21:44 

I didn't watch the press conference but I'm getting the impression that Johnson's fucked it again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 21:51 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
I didn't watch the press conference but I'm getting the impression that Johnson's fucked it again.

Oh, he's fucked it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 21:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

We are introducing a tier 4, some places will be in that tier 4, we're going to spend the next hour not telling you what areas are in tier 4...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 22:05 
Decapodian

It was inevitable, as he was insisting that Christmas would be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 22:17 
Master of dodgy spelling....

It is a car crash. Isn’t is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 23:36 
Ready for action

I’m so angry. Boris Johnson gambled that they could open things up for December shopping and eating out, give everyone Christmas, then lock down in January and probably blame the general population for not following the rules properly. His gamble failed.

My daughter was born a few weeks before lockdown. She turns one in two months time and the prospect of us celebrating her first birthday in lockdown is suddenly looming before us. Most of my family haven’t ever met her outside of my parents and sisters and even they’ve only met her a couple of times in the summer. I don’t blame the virus for that, I blame the government. It didn’t have to be like this. When my mum was crying on the phone to me tonight because she won’t be able to see her grandkids at Christmas, she asked me what we did today and I told her we bought Rowan her second pair of walker shoes because she’s outgrown her first. She’s never even seen her roll over and now she’s missed her learning to crawl, learning to stand and learning to walk round furniture. I’m so angry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 0:19 
UltraMod

We should’ve stayed in full lockdown throughout December so people could have some kind of normal Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 15:23 
Best
Board Mother

Another news briefing at 3pm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 0:15 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Which is the usual ' we are going to do stuff in a few days' - where i am goes from Tier 2 to Tier 4 after Christmas day - however before then yes we can go and visit family but only on Christmas day and not when we wanted to - i just hope the roads are not just madness on Friday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:36 
Best
Board Mother

zaphod79 wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Which is the usual ' we are going to do stuff in a few days' - where i am goes from Tier 2 to Tier 4 after Christmas day - however before then yes we can go and visit family but only on Christmas day and not when we wanted to - i just hope the roads are not just madness on Friday.

Yup, my youngest was supposed to be coming over Christmas Eve. He's now getting up at 6am to drive over instead. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 17:53 
Decapodian

So, looks like nearly everyone is going up a tier from midnight.

Selfishly, I'm annoyed that it means my New Year's Eve meal out has been cancelled, despite us not being in a particularly high risk area.
It's probably the right decision though, as plenty of people would have been going out tomorrow night and some would have been ignoring the rules about mixing households.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 18:03 

Were you in tier 2, before now, then?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 18:21 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:
Were you in tier 2, before now, then?

Yep. Despite having a B61 postcode, Bromsgrove is Worcestershire and tier 2.
No mixing with others, but the two of us could go out for a meal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 18:27 

Oh, that’s a shame in that case, though I guess not exactly unexpected. We were in tier 3, now into tier 4. There must have been pretty firm ideas about the tier changes ahead of everything, as yesterday morning my friend, who works at the Birmingham Apple store, was told that they’d be shut from today, and as of this morning moved to click & collect only, apparently to ‘get ahead’ of the announcement, so they must have been fairly certain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 18:30 
Gogmagog

A helpful map of Tier 3 and 4 areas.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 18:31 

What’s the circled area?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 18:34 
Gogmagog

That's where the cool kids are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 19:00 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Shout out to my boys in the Somerset Massive down there, representing for Tier 4 in the South West!

* chugs some cider, eats some cheddar *

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 19:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm starting to think that 2020 wasn't the right time to start a new beauty business...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 20:06 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
That's where the cool kids are.

Damn Right

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 22:18 
Skillmeister

Squirt wrote:
Shout out to my boys in the Somerset Massive down there, representing for Tier 4 in the South West!

How do you stand on the Wookey Hole vs Cheddar Gorge debate?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 23:33 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Dimrill wrote:
Squirt wrote:

How do you stand on the Wookey Hole vs Cheddar Gorge debate?

It's a tricky one - Wookey score highly with its huge fibreglass gorilla, the strange amateur circus and the exhibition on the history of paper, but then Cheddar has the caveman museum, the very odd caveman dream museum and all those goats that live on the cliffs. However, Cheddar wins it with the old west saloon and those two ice cream parlours right next to each other that are in a constant war of one-upmanship.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:21 
Isn't that lovely?

That map is not right, Bournemouth, Poole etc are tier 4, but it shows the same colour as Devon, which is now tier 3.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 23:48 
Gogmagog

People I live with cannot wait until this COVID balls is over

https://twitter.com/MaliciousA/status/1 ... 8447718404

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:28 
Gogmagog

Full lockdown by the end of the day, I reckon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:39 

MaliA wrote:

Your piano playing isn't *that* bad, mate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 16:10 

MaliA wrote:

Mr Johnson to address the nation at 20:00, apparently. Clashes with Only Connect, so if I wanted to be frustrated trying to decipher a set of seemingly-unrelated words I'd have to give Victoria Coren-Mitchell's quiz a miss.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 16:13 
Hibernating Druid

I'll have to tape it, got D&D tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 16:23 

Zardoz wrote:
I'll have to tape it, got D&D tonight.

It'll just be frantic dice-rolling to avert self-inflicted and avoidable disaster, so I think you've chosen wisely.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 16:41 
Isn't that lovely?

Kern wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Mr Johnson to address the nation at 20:00, apparently. Clashes with Only Connect, so if I wanted to be frustrated trying to decipher a set of seemingly-unrelated words I'd have to give Victoria Coren-Mitchell's quiz a miss.

On past form, you'll be able to watch Only Connect and University Challenge, and still catch Boris afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 17:25 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1346110314224340993

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 17:30 
Awesome
Yes

Kern wrote:
MaliA wrote:

You should tweet this to her, it sounds like exactly the sort of thing she normally says about the show.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 21:04 
Decapodian

Did someone else write this speech for Boris?
He's got straight to the point and is being pretty clear and concise.

Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 48  Next