Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Board Games 10x10 Challenge 2020
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 14:59 
Can't re-member

Board Game Geek has a challenge where you aim to play ten board or tabletop games on ten occasions through the year. The rules are pretty straightforward and relaxed: you don’t have to choose your games now, but build your list of games organically as you play them. You can swap games out if you have no intention of playing them again and you’ve already hit ten for the year.

I would say digital representations don’t count, but you have to sit around a table and play them, either alone or with company.

I’ll start us off with:

1. Fog of Love – 2
2. X-Wing Second Edition – 1

Sal and I got Fog of Love for Xmas. We’ve played the Sunday Morning Date scenario through twice, once with the tutorial (which is excellent and more board games should have) and once without. It was enjoyable but a bit short and not really possible to achieve our relationship goals. Looking forward to the other scenarios.

I also got the X-Wing second edition core set and Rebel/Imperial conversion kits for Xmas, and braved going along to my local board game cafe for their regular Tuesday X-Wing nights. Everyone was very friendly, but my scummy rebel list got annihilated first by some scummy droids, then some cartoon rebels. I will be going back next week probably!

Post subject: Re: Board Games 10x10 Challenge 2020
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 15:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is X-Wing second edition a big change from the original?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 15:49 
Can't re-member

Grim... wrote:
Is X-Wing second edition a big change from the original?

It streamlines a lot of stuff and removes the power creep, broken combos and complicated rules they introduced in some of the later expansions. Also introduces Force as an ability and the Clone Wars/prequel factions. And all the cardboard/card art is much cleaner and nicer to look at too.

There are no longer points values printed on the cards, but it’s all controlled by an app/pdf and they amend individual values every six months in case something gets overpowered or want to encourage little played ships/pilots back onto the table.

Basically the only thing that survives from First Edition are the miniatures, plastic pegs and bases. Everything else is replaced and it’s a much better game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:42 
Gogmagog

Netrunner - Final soiree for the Jemison Aeronautics and Gabe decks which, predictably, didn't fire well. Got £43 of new cards from China so next week new decks, new dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:12 
Can't re-member

MaliA wrote:
Netrunner - Final soiree for the Jemison Aeronautics and Gabe decks which, predictably, didn't fire well. Got £43 of new cards from China so next week new decks, new dreams.

Talk me through the new cards. What sort of builds are you going for? Assume I know nothing about Netrunner (this is true anyway).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:29 

1. Terramara - 1
2. Kingdomino - 1

Terramara - typical worker-placementy, ore-to-iron-resource-upgrady, numerous point-salady game. I liked the way you could use all the possible actions, but ones further down the board you had to wait until a particular turn to get your person back, and how over time your options narrow. But with all these games, multiple plays will bring up multiple ways to get points, but theme and mechanics weren't just doing it for me to warrant an immediate return to the table.

Kingdomino - surprised I hadn't played this before. It's like Dominos, but with auctions! Simple and fast.

NB: throughout the year I'll be marking wins with a :D . If I get 10 I'll be doing well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 
Lord Humongous

I'm waiting till I've a full set of painted minis then it's all about Space Hulk this year.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 14:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

1. Pandemic Legacy : Season 2
2. Gloomhaven

Season 2 was bang tidy, not as well put together as season 1, but a good romp and a good story. The main issue we had was that it was a little easier than season 1 (maybe because we played through season 1 and knew what to do this time around) which meant we couldn’t get all the content done at the point it should have been done, as we just didn’t have enough games. (You move on to the next month immediately if you win, redo the month if you lose. We won our first 7 games IIRC)

Gloomhaven our new obsession, so not sure anything else is going to get a look in for a bit. 9 scenarios completed so far, and I’m almost sorted when it comes to board and piece admin. A combination of the Gloomhaven Helper app, the Gloomhaven Scenarios app, and judicious use of plastic containers and Jiffy bags means that setup and tear down only takes 10 minutes.
I’ve also learnt how to play my character so that I don’t exhaust myself halfway through a scenario, which is helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 15:12 
Can't re-member

That’s good that Gloomhaven has clicked. It sounded a bit like you were overwhelmed at the start.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 15:25 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Ooo, something I can contribute to. Luckily I spent the New Year with friends playing board games...

1) Cthulhu: Death May Die - 1
2) Smash Up! - 1
3) King of Tokyo - 2
4) Wizard Wars - 1

Wizard Wars probably doesn't count as that is a homebrew affair using 1st Edition AD&D rules for a group of Magic Users slugging it out (but played with minis on a gaming mat).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 15:34 
Can't re-member

Sounds like it counts to me!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:54 
Can't re-member

1. Fog of Love – 2
3. Revolution! – 1

Introduced my parents to this last night, and after some initial trepidation of learning a new board game in their late 60s, they actually ended up loving it!

I won, but my mum came second and actually played really well! My dad was rather unlucky and kept getting outbid every turn and pretty much only had coins the entire game so finished dead last. Sal had a slow start but started cheaply mopping up all the categories no one else was interested in at the end and finished a strong 3rd.

I’ve played it a few times but it’s the first it really clicked for me. We may play this again! Tempted to get the 5-6 player expansion for the cottage.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:36 
Gogmagog

Mr Chonks wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Talk me through the new cards. What sort of builds are you going for? Assume I know nothing about Netrunner (this is true anyway).

I like to kill people. The cards that make this more efficient are good, such as ones that give you a draw after you did a successful run, then you look at the top two, bottom one, and draw the other. Gets combo pieces together quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:28 
gooby pls

1) Forbidden Island - 2

Bought this on a whim over the weekend. Quite fun, but we lost on both occasions!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 20:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Get used to that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 
Sleepyhead

Mr Chonks wrote:
1. Fog of Love – 2
3. Revolution! – 1

Introduced my parents to this last night, and after some initial trepidation of learning a new board game in their late 60s, they actually ended up loving it!

I won, but my mum came second and actually played really well! My dad was rather unlucky and kept getting outbid every turn and pretty much only had coins the entire game so finished dead last. Sal had a slow start but started cheaply mopping up all the categories no one else was interested in at the end and finished a strong 3rd.

I’ve played it a few times but it’s the first it really clicked for me. We may play this again! Tempted to get the 5-6 player expansion for the cottage.

Expansion you say?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 
Can't re-member

Curiosity wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
1. Fog of Love – 2
3. Revolution! – 1

Expansion you say?

http://www.sjgames.com/revolution/thepalace/

The Palace adds a new location worth 55 support and components for a 5th and 6th player.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:43 

Kern wrote:
1. Terramara - 1
2. Kingdomino - 1

The King's Dilemma - 2

This year's legacy/campaign game is "The King's Dilemma". We all represent competing noble families advising the king. Each game, we're given a series of scenarios and two options. We're also given an indication of the likely effects of our choice, but not the actual one. We vote, then read what happens and adjust appropriate values on the game board, representing the kingdom's prosperity, knowledge, strength, reputation, and other indicators. We might have to place a sticker on the board affecting subsequent games. Different decisions lead to different scenarios, so over the course of the circa 15 games we'll get our own history of our little world.

Of course, it's not just about doing what's right for the country. We also have our own long-term goals for the entire campaign, and specific objective cards for each game. So I might be wanting to push the country's wealth indicator into the red on this round and boost our defences. Another player might want to keep all the indicators stable, or push the king to an early grave. By negotiating and bribing each of us tries to get the result we want.

We really enjoyed our first two games, and everyone quickly got into the light roleplaying aspects of it . One of the interesting things that's developing is we've already started to make decisions that might not be beneficial in game terms but make more sense for our character. At least that's my excuse for one or two costly mistakes last night.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 22:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

3) Brass: Birmingham

It was quite good fun, but it isn't a game I'd buy myself. It's pretty much a more complex version of ticket to ride, and loses something in the extra complexity.
I'd happily play it again though, should the opportunity arise.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 16:40 
gooby pls

1) Forbidden Island - 2
2) Fluxx - 2

Two quick goes with the vanilla Fluxx while waiting for a birthday party to finish earlier today.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 19:03 

Kern wrote:
Kern wrote:
1. Terramara - 1
2. Kingdomino - 1

3.The King's Dilemma - 2

4. Codenames - 3 :D :D (as team member in one round; cluegiver in the other victorious one)
5. Trivial Pursuit - 1 :D (team game - hooray for my eosteric knowledge of Shakespeare and the Beano)

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]