Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: Animal Crossing Switch
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 18:37 

I really hope that Nook’s nephews start to expand the shop soon. I feel bereft of furniture! Where are all the kitchen cupboards and sinks, dagnammit. And why no tables anywhere! Everyone else’s houses look stuffed with furniture :DD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 19:32 
Comfortably Dumb

Mimi wrote:
I really hope that Nook’s nephews start to expand the shop soon. I feel bereft of furniture! Where are all the kitchen cupboards and sinks, dagnammit. And why no tables anywhere! Everyone else’s houses look stuffed with furniture :DD

I do wonder just how many items there are in the game. Today, I can buy a toilet cleaning set:

https://twitter.com/underlogic_sw/statu ... 4364581893

and just at the bottom of the pic, is a pedalboard for sale too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 20:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I bought that toilet set the other day...

Also, I've just unlocked the photography island. I'm tempted to buy a load off knock off Amiibo cards now off Aliexpress.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 20:12 

When I saw it at Nook's I immediately swiped it in case the other animals got there first.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 20:51 

TheVision wrote:

Also, I've just unlocked the photography island. I'm tempted to buy a load off knock off Amiibo cards now off Aliexpress.

I just looked at those after reading this. Am I reading right that they are over £2 each? 8) I had no idea they were so expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:14 
Ready for action

I’ve not played an animal crossing before so could someone explain visiting friends islands to me? I’ve done some Nook miles ones, but if I visited one of your islands what would I do there and would we interact?

My island is still pretty basic, the Nook stop has just upgraded to a building which I think has unlocked a lot of good island upgrades but I only get to play for an hour or so every couple of days so it’s slow going!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:04 
Skillmeister

sdg wrote:
I’ve not played an animal crossing before so could someone explain visiting friends islands to me? I’ve done some Nook miles ones, but if I visited one of your islands what would I do there and would we interact?

You can shake trees, catch fish and insects, buy stuff from the shop, and leave messages on the town message board. If you're best friends with someone you can dig and chop too. You may have noticed that pressing the right triggers pops up a wheel of reactions which are little animations that work as emotes, and a keyboard for communicating slowly with people on your island. Once you've visited or been visited by someone, you can then send them letters via the postcard carousel in the airport. It's great for sharing fruit and flowers, fossil duplicates, recipes and items with each other.

If you want people to visit you, you need to open the gates at the airport. You can announce here when you do, so anyone who'd like to visit can pop over. Once someone's visited they appear in your friends app on your Nook Phone so you can send direct messages via that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:15 

Also go and speak to the islanders, as sometimes they’ll give you recipes (and then incessantly talk about you. A couple of my islanders are obsessed with Jem :D ).

I generally just walk around, looking at stuff, but I always visit the shop to see if there are any exotic flowers or things in the cabinet, or any non ‘short supply’ items I fancy.

Talking of which, how do people handle their shops when opening their gate? First thing in the morning I always go to the shop in my own town and buy what I’d like from there, so that I get a chance to buy any item that might ‘sell out’ before I open the gate, that way anybody visiting has free reign to buy anything at all from the shop that they want. Is that the general consensus on etiquette or do others do differently, as I’m always too nervous to buy the rear furniture items (the ones that ‘sell out’) in other towns in case the town owner is after having them later, so just wondered what everyone else’s expectations are? So, yes, if you’re in my town buy freely from the shop.

SDG: I think making that initial connection with folks is super valuable as it really does open up the communication and gifting options to you xxx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:17 

Oh, and I also like to take photos on other peoples towns, like sitting on Jem’s toilet, standing in her shower, and laying on her bed. What do you mean, creepy? Or, in Dimrill’s town when he had the gate open but wasn’t actively at the controls, standing sinisterly behind him and posing whilst staring into his soul. Definitely not creepy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 
Skillmeister

Mimi wrote:
I’m always too nervous to buy the rear furniture items (the ones that ‘sell out’) in other towns in case the town owner is after having them later,

I always send a message to tell em what I nabbed and if they want said item I can order one from the Nook Kiosk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:15 
Excellent Member

feel free to buy whatever you like, if it's still there assume I didnt want it :D
I wish it was less fuss to open the gates, I always get distracted doing something and forget to go open the gates
and why can't you buy stuff from ABD while the gate is open or send mail?

I caught my first HUGE fish yesterday, an oarfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 

sdg wrote:
My island is still pretty basic, the Nook stop has just upgraded to a building which I think has unlocked a lot of good island upgrades but I only get to play for an hour or so every couple of days so it’s slow going!

The joy of the game is you can take it at your own pace. I've spent some days just fishing, catching bugs, or watching the sunset. Oh, and sending residents tacky EasterBunny Day gifts accompanied by a note just reading "BUNNY BUNNY BUNNY".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 

Mimi wrote:
Oh, and I also like to take photos on other peoples towns, like sitting on Jem’s toilet, standing in her shower, and laying on her bed. What do you mean, creepy? Or, in Dimrill’s town when he had the gate open but wasn’t actively at the controls, standing sinisterly behind him and posing whilst staring into his soul. Definitely not creepy.

I felt a little awkward the first time I was visiting another and casually walked into their empty home. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:16 

I’ve been designing clothes that look like real-life clothes that we own, because of course you would. (‘Mummy’s jumper’ is not because that’s how I define myself by any means, but that jumper of mine is very special to Darwin. He’s obsessed with it, and it’s getting a bit shapeless and threadbare but I love it because he loves it so very much. That’s why it was the first design I made in the game).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:29 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I just looked at those after reading this. Am I reading right that they are over £2 each? 8) I had no idea they were so expensive.

So the real Amibo's (figures) are little plastic figures that contain an NFC (near field communication) chip and those go for between about 10 and 15 quid each - Animal crossing then brought out official plastic cards with a picture on them which are not quite as expensive but still cost a few quid each (especially for rare ones)

You can get software to read and write NFC chips for a number of different phones so people have worked out how to copy the data out and write it onto blank NFC chips which you can get in stickers or cards so people make sets of these up and then sell them - the Aliexpress ones are more likely to be 'cloned' cards than real ones.

The actual stickers to do this cost about 50p each - here is an example listing for a set of 10 blanks on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-38mm-Whit ... SwB4NWuMFL

And if anyone wants to have a go at making their own

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amiibomb/comme ... wn_amiibo/

When it launched i bought some and made a set for Zelda to get some of the random stuff that was impossible to get without it (like the wolf companion or Epona)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amiibomb/ is the reddit community for it and you can see examples of peoples own cards here :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amiibomb/comme ... the_cards/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amiibomb/comme ... cards_pvc/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amiibomb/comme ... ibo_coins/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:35 

Oh man!! I have an Amiibo model (Just one, Blathers) but he can’t move in to your campsite, just appear at Harvey’s. But now I want to make little chip cards to get Bob, and Lily (and Pete, Brewster and Kappa, but I think they’d be banished to Harvey’s as well)!! Hnnngh. I can’t, because I don’t have an Android phone or PC, but epic wanties...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:40 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
I generally just walk around, looking at stuff, but I always visit the shop to see if there are any exotic flowers or things in the cabinet, or any non ‘short supply’ items I fancy.

I'm the same - I just like to explore people's islands, look at the decorations / houses, talk to the residents etc. I've not taken photos in anyone's bed yet though :DD :DD

re: the shop - I also check it as soon as it opens for anything I want, so you're always welcome to buy whatever from mine. Sometimes I leave the gate open while I potter about doing other things or sorting the kids, so if you pop by, please buy whatever / take any fruit you need / wander about as much as you like.

I spent a lot of time on AC over the weekend because I was feeling quite rubbish and just needed to zone out, which meant I got quite a lot of things done. Now got an upstairs on my house for an eye-watering 1,248,000 bells 8) Still can't get beyond a 4 star rating on my island eval though. Apparently I need to add more fences and more decorations. Keep getting the same furniture items from the shop though so hard to increase the variety of things out and about; definitely looking forward to the shop upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 
Skillmeister

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:27 

I’m in about the same place you are, Jem. I got my second floor last week and am waiting on the shop upgrade! I haven’t seen anybody advance beyond the Nook’s Cranny convenience store size shop, even in screenshots of those that have time travelled, so I hope and suspect that they’ll add the intermediate and Nookingtons type shops later.

I’ve been looking to see if there’s any way to make the NFC capabilities of iPhones write NFC chips, but there doesn’t seem to be as it’s so locked down. :(

Can’t see the guidebooks being released for tomorrow, unless anyone has had dispatch notification? If so, may I ask from where?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:27 

Dimrill wrote:

It’s at least a C+!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:32 
Skillmeister

Mimi wrote:
Can’t see the guidebooks being released for tomorrow, unless anyone has had dispatch notification? If so, may I ask from where?

Orderedereeerreeddedeederrereedd mine from Game, but no dispatch notice yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:43 

https://animalcrossingworld.com/2020/04 ... on-region/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:48 

Gate is open in case anybody is about.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:01 
8-Bit Champion

Mimi wrote:
I’ve been looking to see if there’s any way to make the NFC capabilities of iPhones write NFC chips, but there doesn’t seem to be as it’s so locked down. :(

Yeah you really need an Android to do it - until the very latest version of iOS apple locked everything out , iphones can now write to NFC but its still very limited and i cant see anything online to say anyone has managed to write Amibo's with it

Other than Aliexpress i've seen people posting about cards for it being sold on Etsy at reasonable rates but after a quick look the cheapest i can see is still around £4 or so for a single card (without any artwork) which still strikes me as expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:25 

Booooooooooo!

I’m other news Darwin is so in love with Dimrill. Every time his name comes up on the screen he shouts out ‘LOOK MUMMY, IT’S DIMRLL’ pronounced kind of like that. He gets super excited when Dimmers is visiting or if I go to Summerisle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:27 

I am stopping myself Googling to see how much a cheap 2nd hand android phone might be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:55 
Bee enthusiast.

How do you guys get so much money, I dont even have my third room yet.. Hoping the turnip train comes in choo choo!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:01 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
I am stopping myself Googling to see how much a cheap 2nd hand android phone might be.

I just bought a new one for £180, with NFC as a guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:08 
8-Bit Champion

And i bought a cheap Chinese one about a year ago for around 100 which did them - i am sure i still have a few unused stickers and will have a look to see if i can get the files i need (i've not looked at this in a while).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:15 
Skillmeister

vickypineapple wrote:
How do you guys get so much money, I dont even have my third room yet.. Hoping the turnip train comes in choo choo!

Since I found black tulips on a Nook Miles Island, peacock butterflies for me. 2500 each. Secondary: Paper Wing Thing Butterflies and Man Faced Stinkbugs for a grand and 800 respectively. It was raining near enough all day yesterday and luckily CJ was visiting, so I was selling Coelacanth to him for 22,500 a pop. Red Snappers go for 4 grand and are easier to spot being the only seafish with a shadow slightly smaller than the seabass that's prowling at the mo.

I have two rooms full of Chris Tarrants waiting for Flick's next visit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:16 

Yeah, that’s too pricey, especially as I have a perfect rly decent phone. Is it difficult, Zaphod?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:17 
sneering elitist

vickypineapple wrote:

Lots of fishing/bug catching (esp peacock butterflies / the pink locusty thing that I forget the name of), picking shells, burying 10k in the glowy hole for 30k later on, shaking trees, bashing the rocks, got lucky with a few 30k balloon drops, ravaging nook miles islands for every flower/weed/log etc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:18 
8-Bit Champion

Mimi wrote:
Yeah, that’s too pricey, especially as I have a perfect rly decent phone. Is it difficult, Zaphod?

I'm going to split this stuff out so we're not clogging up the Animal crossing thread - it was a faff when i first did it but that was a while ago - i will have a look again either tonight or tomorrow and see how easy it is to do now.

Thread here : https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... =3&t=11476

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:18 

I’ve made one tarantula island and one Moth island, and those definitely helped, but I’ve also put far less money into island developing than you have, Vicky. I’m only just starting to do my island up now. Also 30k daily trees and money rocks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:19 

zaphod79 wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I'm going to split this stuff out so we're not clogging up the Animal crossing thread - it was a faff when i first did it but that was a while ago - i will have a look again either tonight or tomorrow and see how easy it is to do now.

Yep fair enough. I am interested to know, thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:48 
Comfortably Dumb

Jem wrote:
Still can't get beyond a 4 star rating on my island eval though. Apparently I need to add more fences and more decorations. Keep getting the same furniture items from the shop though so hard to increase the variety of things out and about; definitely looking forward to the shop upgrade.

I'm still at a lowly two stars at the moment, thanks probably to the maze and inclines I've added. Not sure that adding a fax machine will help all that much though :)

https://twitter.com/underlogic_sw/statu ... 3564057600

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 15:32 
Skillmeister

Dimrill wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Orderedereeerreeddedeederrereedd mine from Game, but no dispatch notice yet.

Just got dispatch notice from Game!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 15:34 
Skillmeister

devilman wrote:
Jem wrote:
Still can't get beyond a 4 star rating on my island eval though. Apparently I need to add more fences and more decorations. Keep getting the same furniture items from the shop though so hard to increase the variety of things out and about; definitely looking forward to the shop upgrade.

I'm still at a lowly two stars at the moment, thanks probably to the maze and inclines I've added. Not sure that adding a fax machine will help all that much though :)

I popped over and snagged the wheelbarrow and potted conifer from your Nooks. If you want either I can order them from my Kiosk for you :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 15:50 
Ready for action

Awesome tips, thanks all. If I get a chance to go on later tonight I’ll open my gates or see if I can go visiting :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 15:51 
Ready for action

I want to start collecting houseplants so if anyone sees one and I can buy it, let me know!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:29 

sdg wrote:
I want to start collecting houseplants so if anyone sees one and I can buy it, let me know!

I think I’ve got a few I can order to you but I’ll have to make a connection with your account first. I’ll look out for you online later x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:42 
Participant in dramatic games

Nedgame. (Local shop here) still has the original amiibo card sets. I bought 3 sers for 5 euros per 3 (one of series 2,3 and 4). Nice little addition. Nintendo life just had a special that some cards are more expensive than the game now ..

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/0 ... ame_itself

I really love the chatter between mable and sable

Here sable is teasing Mable that she ate all the icecream

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:43 
Comfortably Dumb

Dimrill wrote:
devilman wrote:
Jem wrote:

I popped over and snagged the wheelbarrow and potted conifer from your Nooks. If you want either I can order them from my Kiosk for you :)

Glad they were of use; I didn't really want either of them anyway. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:46 
Participant in dramatic games

Oh and this is so cool. Biologist giving a real tour into the museum https://player.twitch.tv/?video=v591381 ... d5CdAxZ8DA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 17:21 
sneering elitist

sdg wrote:

I've been buying all the ones I see too :D I will let you know which ones I can order when I pop on later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 18:08 
Skillmeister

Plants I can order:

Cypress Plant (in the screenshot from DM)
Fan Palm
Monstera
Yucca.

I can also craft a succulent from a tin can or a cherry blossom bonsai if anyone wants to get me to come over and use up any blossoms they have left over.

edit: also can order
Anthurium Plant
Mini Cactus set
Moss Ball

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 18:10 

I’m going to start a little (plant) nursery and concentrate on one type of flower at a time, so that the watering doesn’t get overwhelming. I was going to start with roses but have just realised I don’t have any white. If someone could pop me 10 white rose seeds in the post if they see them, please I would be ever so grateful. I’ll start with a different type of flower until then, but I’d like to be prepared. Dibdibdob.

On a similar note, my island has;

Pansy (white, red, and yellow)
Hyacinth (white, red, and yellow) and
Windflower (Orange, red, and white)

So if anybody is after any of those just let me know which and how many and I’ll pop them in the mail (May take a few days as not all varieties are available every day) x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 18:11 
Skillmeister

any rose seeds would be awesome. it's the only flower i'm missing :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 18:16 

Dimrill wrote:
Plants I can order:

Cypress Plant (in the screenshot from DM)
Fan Palm
Monstera
Yucca.

I can also craft a succulent from a tin can or a cherry blossom bonsai if anyone wants to get me to come over and use up any blossoms they have left over.

edit: also can order
Anthurium Plant
Mini Cactus set
Moss Ball

I have: Anthurium in brown and/or pink
Cacao tree
Cat grass (in blue or pink pot)
Fan palm
Mini cactus set
Moss ball
Yucca

I’d like one of those outdoor topiary things that I saw in DM’s town. What are those called?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 18:17 

Dimrill wrote:
any rose seeds would be awesome. it's the only flower i'm missing :(

I think I’m missing most of the tulips, too. :s Just the yellow tulips.

I thought I might have had a few red and yellow rose seeds stashed away, Dimrill, but I don’t. I’ll keep looking out, though.

Reply to topic  [ 3919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 79  Next