Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 16:46 
UltraMod

Dimrill wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
Also I've been eyeing up ESO.

Don't encourage them! We'll never get a new single-gonk campaggen otherwise!

It’s already been announced hasn’t it?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 16:58 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:
WoW for me is 5658 hours, although I quit earlier in the year, probably for good this time.

This makes me feel a little better about the 1,362 hours I sunk into Binding of Isaac and its remake. Hopefully MS won't put the Xbox One version on sale any time soon or I'll probably end up buying it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 18:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Chonks wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Does PSN keep track of it all?

Sadly (or gladly, depending on how you feel about tracking how much of your life you’ve wasted) not.

Actually it does, but it doesn't tell you very often (I've had a couple of emails with it on for certain games, though).

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 13:04 
Skillmeister

I purchased Unheard last night. It looked like an interesting mix of Orwell and Obra Dinn Obra Dah Life Goes On Woaaahhh La La La Life Goes On. While the mechanics on walking around to hear different people talk and piecing together who everyone was and what happened, the voice acting utterly kills it. So bad. The game requires you to zip back and forth on the audio timeline in order to hear everything and everyone, so by the end of the level you're pretty fed up of listening to them over emote. So then you have to sit through an unskippable summary where it all the salient dialogue gets repeated for another minute or two.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:23 

Still wall-to-wall Subnautica [PC] for me, or as I've started to think of it: thalassophobia as a service. I've got most of the equipment now, barring a small number of top-tier upgrades, and am starting to push deeper down. There's some scary stuff down there! I've noped out a few times. Also have spent longer than I care to remember building and re-building my base, almost entirely for aesthetic reasons; I didn't get any game benefit from it but it just seems nice.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I've unlocked the Cyclops, finally. Wow that big boi is fun to drive, you get a real feeling of scale from it. I've found my first entrance to the Lost River and found a massssiiiveee skeletal head and an alien door I can't open. Exciting! I've also unlocked the Prawn Suit grappling arm, so I can get it into places like the Jellyshroom Cave (which has lots of things I need eg. large magnetite deposits.) I think my next job will be to build some sort of forward operating base where I can recharge my Cyclops without schlepping back to my main base in the Safe Shallows.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:39 
Hello Hello Hello

I've been keeping an eye on Subnautica for a while now but never quite taken the plunge. (SWIDT?)

I do tend to enjoy games like this but only to a point. Is Subnautica more No Man's Sky (which I didn't get on with at all), or Theme Hospital?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 

Hearthly wrote:
Is Subnautica more No Man's Sky (which I didn't get on with at all), or Theme Hospital?

Umm, neither of those.

I suppose it's a little bit No Man's Sky, in particular it has a vaguely similar look and a focus on investigating the unknown. But the map is hand-crafted and finite, which means it's much less barren, and it's principle form of progression is built into the terrain: you start in safe, shallow water, and build progressively better gear to go to progressively deeper and more dangerous places.

Not sure what you're getting at with the Theme Hospital thing. The base building? Subnautica is more like the town building in Fallout 4. There's no real management aspect there, you could do something pretty simple if you wanted and it'd work OK. I'm just enjoying it so I'm spending more time on that aspect to build a base I really like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:52 
Bad Girl

I just imagine it’s like an underwater version of The Forest. Just can’t visualise how it funnels you into deeper water unless it has its own equivalent of The Forest’s tunnel systems.

EDIT: by the way, The Forest is brilliant. And it’s coop (up to 4 peeps)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, you can't go into deeper water unless you've unlocked upgrades allowing you to do so, or your sub will get squished.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Not sure what you're getting at with the Theme Hospital thing. The base building? Subnautica is more like the town building in Fallout 4. There's no real management aspect there, you could do something pretty simple if you wanted and it'd work OK. I'm just enjoying it so I'm spending more time on that aspect to build a base I really like.

I love base building and that aspect of No Man's Sky appealed but the constant battle just to stay alive sucked the fun out of it for me (I appreciate if I'd got further into the game then that aspect of things would have been mitigated).

I've never played Fallout 4 so that's not a good frame of reference.

Generally speaking I love being able to build a base and sort my shit out without being too pressured, and move on in my own time. Like how you could turtle in with the older Starcraft/C&C games and then engage on your own terms (most of the time). Does stuff attack you in Subnautica? I don't mind that as long as the attacks don't fuck too much of your shit up.

Dungeon Keeper 2 - that was a perfect game.

I realise I'm jumping around genres here but it's that sort of 'feel' I really enjoy.

Ahh what the hell, it's not exactly going to break the bank (I have cars for that sort of thing), I'll just buy it and give it a go.

I'm guessing it's probably better to play on PC than console thanks to K+M? Or is the gamepad control scheme nicely done. I do enjoy parking my arse on the couch to play games on the big telly but I'm not very good with a pad at anything outside of driving games and shooting games, and third person games at a stretch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:09 

I'd suggest PC. I found some minor aspects of inventory management annoying once I got far enough into the game, and on PC I fixed those by installing some mods. (Strictly quality-of-life ones, nothing that rebalanced the game.) I posted about this somewhere in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:39 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'd suggest PC. I found some minor aspects of inventory management annoying once I got far enough into the game, and on PC I fixed those by installing some mods. (Strictly quality-of-life ones, nothing that rebalanced the game.) I posted about this somewhere in this thread.

Don’t know how you can play this without a diver’s watch on ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:49 
chewbacca -future arc welder

@doc pics of ur base pls!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:59 

krazywookie wrote:
@doc pics of ur base pls!

I was going to do a short video of a walkthrough of it the other day but it kept having power cuts, which made it look shit. Plus now I've thought of a few things I want to change. Soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:24 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Ahh what the hell, it's not exactly going to break the bank (I have cars for that sort of thing), I'll just buy it and give it a go.

I'm guessing it's probably better to play on PC than console thanks to K+M? Or is the gamepad control scheme nicely done. I do enjoy parking my arse on the couch to play games on the big telly but I'm not very good with a pad at anything outside of driving games and shooting games, and third person games at a stretch.

It was free a while back on the Epic Store, you should keep an eye on the freebies coming out of there. And that still seems to be the best place to get it as it's only £4 on there as opposed to £13.64 on Steam.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:31 
Bad Girl

Hearthly, you might want to consider The Forest. It’s more straightforward, as far as I’m aware, and if you wanted to you can just plump for the story over the base building if that’s too much of a faff.

Mind you, the base building mechanics are, according to stuff I’ve read, some of the better ones in these types of games and really flexible to create whatever you want (subject to scrounging for resources. Obviously.) and wherever you want.

The story telling aspect is remarkably well done too and fully fleshed out. Basically, if you’re interested, you land on an island and your son is captured by the inhabitants. You then spend all your time looking for the little shit. It’s all open world and there’s a number of cave systems hidden around. The centre of the island has this massive hole and the aim is to get down it. It’s accessible through the caves and, of course, you can’t access most of it until you find all the gear needed which are also in the caves. So basically it’s spelunking for fear and then down the big hole to what waits. And what waits is this cool end section and the rest of the story.

But if you can’t be arsed, then you stay on the surface building stuff and defending against attacks from the inhabitants. Or you go looking for another cave entrance and the next bit of gear.

It’s all typical FPS stuff with a leaning on melee combat and survival horror. The island is beautiful on the surface and filled with horrors underneath. It’s proper scary shit too.

Sat recommends.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:13 
Paws for thought

As a game, I preferred subnautica to the forest.

Felt much more polished. Admittedly forest was early access, but AFAIK the general feel remains similar.

Don't know... My coop partners didn't seem interested in playing the finished version.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:19 
ugvm'er at heart...

Did they think it was fowl, or were they too chicken to try?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm still playing Sea of Thieves.

They've added a story mode to it now and it's brilliant! The four of us were playing last night, working out the clues and all sorts.

It really is a great game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 13:17 
UltraMod

The Forest didn’t grab me at all and I’m not interested in Subnautica. HTH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 22:11 
Skillmeister

I have brunked PostFrunk. It is most harsh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 22:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dimrill wrote:
I have brunked PostFrunk. It is most harsh.

It is! Especially when idiots won't go to work and your fucking heating goes off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 
Paws for thought

still playing xenoblade chronicles 2 in amongst sekiro.

So sekiro does stealth well.

Whoever decided to put a stealth mission in xenoblade deserves to be punched firmly in the face.
But you're ok. it's optional.
Well, except for the fact that you'll lose one of your characters until its completed. so not that optional at the point you discover the horrific stealthishness of the mission.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:41 

Dipping in and out of Celeste on the Switch, but I'm preferring the parts of the game where I'm not being relentlessly chased across the screen (but maybe that's the point).

Metropolis Street Racer (Reicast/Switch) - it's MSR, but in my hands, it's still really hard to see where the corners are when racing in the dark.

Jet (Set - Ed) Radio (Reicast/Switch) - Why is the American version called Jet Grind Radio? Why did they only change the title screen and no other references to Jet Set Radio?
Oh, anyway, it's still ace, but I still prefer JSRF.

Legend of Zelda - Windwaker (Dolphin/Lakka/Switch) - bit flaky, but so far, so payable. I think this is the third time I've played this, and I don't think I've ever got past the Forsaken Fortress (which is basically the first level if you've never played it). That's where I am at the moment, so I guess I'll either get past it, or work out why I keep giving up.

Shenmue (Reicast/Switch) - more for novelty value as I'm already playing it on the PS4. The QTEs are interesting as the dreamcast buttons are different to the Switch ones (I'm constantly pressing A to select an option, but A on the Switch is B on the Dreamcast). Also, the texture issues make half the notebook unreadable, so you need to remember what you're doing.

Hmm, given that I do about 10 minutes of gaming a day, I might be spread a bit thin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 19:08 
UltraMod

Steamworld Dig (Switch)

Your uncle Joe leaves you a mine in his will, so you travel to Tumbleton and start digging. It starts out as a basic “dig up as much as you can before you run out of light and have to resurface” game, but soon you stumble upon weird stuff your uncle was working on and even find a buried town.

It’s quite fun, and was only £4.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 19:12 
Bad Girl

I really loved Steamworld Dig. It’s really charming and just loads of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 20:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Satsuma wrote:

:this: I started number two a while back and its more of the same so just as good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 22:59 
Prince of Fops

TheVision wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

:this: I started number two a while back and its more of the same so just as good.

I enjoyed number two much more, some power ups make things less of a slog.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:18 
Paws for thought

Mr Chonks wrote:
Steamworld Dig (Switch)

Your uncle Joe leaves you a mine in his will, so you travel to Tumbleton and start digging. It starts out as a basic “dig up as much as you can before you run out of light and have to resurface” game, but soon you stumble upon weird stuff your uncle was working on and even find a buried town.

It’s quite fun, and was only £4.

I own it, It's in my list of things to play soon. After xenoblade. And sekiro. And RE6. And RE5. And Titanfall 2.And...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 13:13 
Esoteric

I've not really been playing much of anything. Just keeping up on chores, housework and etc. Plus the lack of black out curtains or blinds due to the Velux windows doesn't help any. Bognor Regis is apparently the sunniest place in the UK, and I would have to agree. So whilst a bit of TV is OK I can't really game properly until around 10pm by which time I am knackered.

However due to the inclement weather I have been playing Metro : Exodus on my PC, now that I have fixed all of the niggles it developed when I rebuilt it last year.

I was getting stuck right into Metro before on my gaming PC at my mother's, but I then found out when returning home that Epic store has no cloud save. Thus, I would have to repeat the 8 hours or so I had already put in, and the story and cut scenes in it really go on and on and you can't skip. Finally yesterday after putting in a couple of hours on Saturday was I able to pass the threshold of where I was before when it was all boring mindless nonsense now that I had watched it all once.. And the game really improves. I was kind of worrying that it may be all story and no action, a bit like Wolf 2. But no, once you get into the sand level it really starts to kick some ass. There was a wonderful bit that reminded me so much of my days looking through various creepy vaults in FO3, only this time I had beautiful graphics to stare at. Really brought back some emotions though, and reminded me just what a treat finding a new vault in FO3 was. You entered, and you got loads of lovely gameplay and hunting etc.

Not sure if I will play it any more today, but I had my chores done at 11:30 AM and it's peeing with rain again so hey, never say never. I just need to be able to sit still for more than 30 seconds which I am finding hard on the dose of anti depressants I am taking. They make me a proper fidget !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:29 
Skillmeister

Just knocked off the elusive targets for the week in Hitmans Twos. Gave up on Frostpunk for the time being. It's very linear and the options for building is really limited. Plus I got past the horrific end of the first scenario and felt that the unfairness was outweighing any sense of fun. Went back to Banished instead and finished off the cheevs in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Been getting back in Forza Horizon 4 the last few nights. I have accepted it is impossible to finish the game, (they keep adding stuff to it), so I just have a wibble around and knock a few events off, my long term goal is to buy all the properties on the map so any credits earned are progress towards that achievement.

It's a glorious game to simply play, and I love the soundtrack (Hospital and Pulse FTW), and they even have a Hyundai Veloster N in it, which is similar to my car but not the same. So I drive around in that.

Attachment:
velossso.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 
Bad Girl

The upcoming LEGO update to Forza looks amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:30 
Excellent Member

After starting it weeks ago I put some more time into Get Even last night. It's a bit of a shitshow technically (the aforeranted controller issues and now a lot of the voice clips don't play so I'm having to read subtitles for some stuff) but I'm enjoying it enough to keep going for the moment. There are hints throughout that you can get through it with the minimum of violence but every time I'm attacked in the main asylum bit I can never see a way to progress without just murdering people.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:21 
Skillmeister

Vampyr. It's already pissed me off with the lack of blood and how your character tries to find somewhere to hide while yelling "I MUST GET OUT OF SIGHT!" incredibly loudly. If you're going to made a game aboot vampires at least have lots of claret spurting all over the place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:41 
Paws for thought

I played more RE6 with mop.
It had a bad stealth section. Somehow, this wasn't even close to the worst section of the game.

Only 8 more chapters...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:16 
Skillmeister

Dimrill wrote:
Vampyr. It's already pissed me off with the lack of blood and how your character tries to find somewhere to hide while yelling "I MUST GET OUT OF SIGHT!" incredibly loudly. If you're going to made a game aboot vampires at least have lots of claret spurting all over the place.

The combat is _appalling_. And everytime I eat a rat he goes "Hur Nang! Hur Nang! NNnn Gwak!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:17 
Gogmagog

Mr Dave wrote:
It had a bad stealth section. Somehow, this wasn't even close to the worst section of the game.

Only 8 more chapters...

I dunno, mate, maybe sack it off and play something better? You aren't obliged to finish games, same way you can put a book down that you are not enjoying. Brighter options for a sunnier tomorrow and all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:18 
Paws for thought

MaliA wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Only 8 more chapters...

I dunno, mate, maybe sack it off and play something better? You aren't obliged to finish games, same way you can put a book down that you are not enjoying. Brighter options for a sunnier tomorrow and all.

Coop complaining is OK.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Only 8 more chapters...

Agree with games but I find that hard with books. I often don't get into books until I'm 200+ pages in, so I often keep reading hoping it will get better at that point. And if it doesn't, then I've invested too much time and have to finish it off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:21 

Findus Fop wrote:
Agree with games but I find that hard with books. I often don't get into books until I'm 200+ pages in, so I often keep reading hoping it will get better at that point. And if it doesn't, then I've invested too much time and have to finish it off.

I find it's easier to give up on a library book than one I've paid for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:17 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Only 8 more chapters...

It’s fucking hilarious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 13:54 
Bad Girl

Currently making slow progress on Halo 2 Legendary difficulty in coop with my buddy.

Frankly, it’s stupid. The snipers are 95% laser accurate and kill you as soon as you startle them. We’re up to about chapter 8 and each chapter has taken at least 90 mins to 2 hours to crack through (with a 15 min par time!?!).

The Regret chapter (where you punch the wheel chaired alien at the end because apparently the Chief is a cunt) took a whopping 5 hours and 30 mins. But to be fair we had to have two attempts at the entire chapter cause it doesn’t save your progress during a chapter. It’s strange how this game remains so much fun despite being so immensely frustrating!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:42 
Skillmeister

I have a few stars left to mop up in Mario Odyssey. And since the new location was released today for Hitting Mens 2, that's what I'm doing most of.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 
Hibernating Druid

This week I finished RE2 (Leon & Claire) playthoughs :zombie: and Astro Bot Rescue Mission :luv:

Looking at either Skyrim VR or Sekiro as my next purchase/swap.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:14 
UltraMod

- Still plodding along in Morrowind, mainly doing the story quest as it’s so bloody long!
- Failing miserably at trying to get out of silver in Rocket League solo standard
- coop puzzle platformer Degrees of Separation on the Switch with Sal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:35 
Excellent Member

Recently started Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which may have been a mistake. I adored the previous game, Origins, but that was relatively recently and I spent a long time on it. Odyssey is basically more of the same but much, much longer by all accounts and I think I'm feeling fatigue for it despite only being a handful of hours in. It's not helped by the fact that I'm not liking the main character as much as Bayek, the story is a bit odd so far and I've got a horrible feeling they're going to make me do a lot more of the awful fucking ship combat this time around. I've barely scratched the surface of it so I'll keep going--and the basic stealthy infiltration gameplay loop is still great fun--but I'm really hoping it starts to grab me properly soon as it would be a shame to give up on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:54 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
Recently started Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which may have been a mistake. I adored the previous game, Origins, but that was relatively recently and I spent a long time on it. Odyssey is basically more of the same but much, much longer by all accounts and I think I'm feeling fatigue for it despite only being a handful of hours in. It's not helped by the fact that I'm not liking the main character as much as Bayek, the story is a bit odd so far and I've got a horrible feeling they're going to make me do a lot more of the awful fucking ship combat this time around. I've barely scratched the surface of it so I'll keep going--and the basic stealthy infiltration gameplay loop is still great fun--but I'm really hoping it starts to grab me properly soon as it would be a shame to give up on it.

Ship combat is why I ditched Black Flag within the first couple of hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:54 
UltraMod

Similar reasons are why I bailed out of Skyrim so early on. I’d only just finished Oblivion and I couldn’t face it again.

It’s also why I’m leaving Fallout 4 until I can’t remember NV anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:56 
Prince of Fops

Currently playing Borderlands 2 on PS4. I took Hearthly's advice for a good time ( :hat: ) and am Mechromancing around the wastelands and focusing on developing DeathClaw. It's actually a very liberating experience not having to worry about where I dispense my skill points. Sure, I'm missing out on other aspects of the game, but I simply don't have time to suck the marrow from any game I play, let alone one the size of Borderlands.

Enjoying the gun play very much. I find the array of weaponry a tad tiresome if I'm honest, though I'm finding I'm getting the odd gun or two that I like and sticking with those and ignoring the new ones. All the new weapon pickups tend to amount to little more than tedious inventory management.

Still struggling with audio levels, though now I've switched dialogue to come out of my controller, it's better.

But I'm just enjoying stomping around, doing pleasingly self-contained quests, grabbing XP, the world is vibrant and fun. Even though it's a maniac-packed wasteland, it's a much nicer place to be than Brexit UK.

It's a great game for 30-60 minute pockets.

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next