Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 13:58 
User avatar
Ready for action

Joined: 9th Mar, 2009
Posts: 7438
Location: Top Secret Bunker
I'm nearly finished a second playthrough of The Last of Us on PS4. I played it when it first came out and wanted to remind myself of the story before the next one is released. I forgot how creepy some of it is!
Has anyone played the DLC prologue and is it worth my time?

Not sure if I'll have time to move onto another game next or if I'll just wait for TLOU2. I quite fancy replaying all of the Assassins Creed games from 2 onwards but not sure if they're available on PS4 and really not sure if I can afford the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 14:08 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13571
sdg wrote:
Has anyone played the DLC prologue and is it worth my time?


I've not played it but it got very good reviews and everything i've seen on it suggests its much more of a story than an extra set of maps or challenges

It apparently takes 2 hours to play through - there are spoilers in this review but linking it just for the title alone

https://www.polygon.com/2014/12/31/7475 ... -hours-dlc

Quote:
2014 in review: The Last of Us: Left Behind was the best two hours of the year


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 14:30 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10433
I enjoyed the DLC more than the full game for what it's worth.

And this would cover you for AC games:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Cree ... B01LXUGJKB

Quote:
...includes the acclaimed single-player campaigns and single-player add-on content* from Assassin’s Creed II, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, and Assassin’s Creed Revelations with enhanced graphics systems.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 15:53 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53306
Location: Liberty City
I loved the DLC.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 16:37 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11271
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Still Fallout 3. Absolutely loving it.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:00 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12788
Quote:
Has anyone played the DLC prologue and is it worth my time?


If you loved the characters and the story then absolutely. If all you want to do is blast zombies then you’ll be disappointed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 19:07 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 12438
sdg wrote:
Has anyone played the DLC prologue and is it worth my time?


It's a wonderful addition to the main game, as has already been noted, it's quite a different thing to the main game, but for my money that made it even more magical.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 6#p1003216

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 21:28 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45500
Location: The erogenous zone
I’m sure you’d enjoy the DLC, SDG

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 21:33 
User avatar
Rude Belittler

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 4761
Yeah, the DLC is worth a play through.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 22:01 
User avatar
Ready for action

Joined: 9th Mar, 2009
Posts: 7438
Location: Top Secret Bunker
I’m definitely in it for characters and story over shooting zombies. Great news, thanks all!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 22:01 
User avatar
Ready for action

Joined: 9th Mar, 2009
Posts: 7438
Location: Top Secret Bunker
Bamba wrote:
I enjoyed the DLC more than the full game for what it's worth.

And this would cover you for AC games:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Cree ... B01LXUGJKB

Quote:
...includes the acclaimed single-player campaigns and single-player add-on content* from Assassin’s Creed II, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, and Assassin’s Creed Revelations with enhanced graphics systems.

This is perfect! I’ll need to make the time for this!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:07 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10433
Archero, a roguelike 'shooter' for Android (and iOS) built around the central conceit that your character fires whenever he's not moving. Each stage is a very short and randomly generated opportunity to either (a) murder a load of guys and earn XP towards one of a load of inventive and stacking weapon upgrades or (b) fuck it up and lose loads of health/die. There are permanent upgrades to also earn and multiple stages to progress through if you can survive through the 50 levels require to move on from one to another. It's free with microtransactions (of course) but I've been playing it for a wee while and happily ignored all that bullshit while still feeling like I'm getting a little bit further each time. Your guy auto-targets so literally the only control is a single joystick to move or stop with and so far I haven't felt like death was anything buy my own fault. Because it's randomly generated it does have that issue where you can have an otherwise great run fucked into the ground by a particularly ruinous combination of specific enemy types and level layout but that's the nature of the beast I suppose. Due to the generally repetitive and unending nature of these type of games I'll probably get bored with it sooner rather than later, but the fact it's got it's hooks into me at all is a point in it's favour as I'm not normally down for this sort of thing at all so if you're into these it's probably a good example of the genre.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 14:24 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20911
Bamba wrote:
Archero, a roguelike 'shooter' for Android (and iOS) built around the central conceit that your character fires whenever he's not moving. Each stage is a very short and randomly generated opportunity to either (a) murder a load of guys and earn XP towards one of a load of inventive and stacking weapon upgrades or (b) fuck it up and lose loads of health/die. There are permanent upgrades to also earn and multiple stages to progress through if you can survive through the 50 levels require to move on from one to another. It's free with microtransactions (of course) but I've been playing it for a wee while and happily ignored all that bullshit while still feeling like I'm getting a little bit further each time. Your guy auto-targets so literally the only control is a single joystick to move or stop with and so far I haven't felt like death was anything buy my own fault. Because it's randomly generated it does have that issue where you can have an otherwise great run fucked into the ground by a particularly ruinous combination of specific enemy types and level layout but that's the nature of the beast I suppose. Due to the generally repetitive and unending nature of these type of games I'll probably get bored with it sooner rather than later, but the fact it's got it's hooks into me at all is a point in it's favour as I'm not normally down for this sort of thing at all so if you're into these it's probably a good example of the genre.


I had a go on this after your review... and i've played it every day since. It's a great little game, tough but never unfair, and like you said you always get a little bit further each time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 15:45 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10433
Trooper wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Archero, a roguelike 'shooter' for Android (and iOS) built around the central conceit that your character fires whenever he's not moving. Each stage is a very short and randomly generated opportunity to either (a) murder a load of guys and earn XP towards one of a load of inventive and stacking weapon upgrades or (b) fuck it up and lose loads of health/die. There are permanent upgrades to also earn and multiple stages to progress through if you can survive through the 50 levels require to move on from one to another. It's free with microtransactions (of course) but I've been playing it for a wee while and happily ignored all that bullshit while still feeling like I'm getting a little bit further each time. Your guy auto-targets so literally the only control is a single joystick to move or stop with and so far I haven't felt like death was anything buy my own fault. Because it's randomly generated it does have that issue where you can have an otherwise great run fucked into the ground by a particularly ruinous combination of specific enemy types and level layout but that's the nature of the beast I suppose. Due to the generally repetitive and unending nature of these type of games I'll probably get bored with it sooner rather than later, but the fact it's got it's hooks into me at all is a point in it's favour as I'm not normally down for this sort of thing at all so if you're into these it's probably a good example of the genre.


I had a go on this after your review... and i've played it every day since. It's a great little game, tough but never unfair, and like you said you always get a little bit further each time.


Sadly I ended up uninstalling it a couple of days ago. I'd got past the first 50 level stage with nice constant progression but the second level set just fucked me. I once got to 43 out of 50 and then never made it to those heady heights ever again. On one run I actually picked up an extra life--which I never saw before or since--and bought the resurrect for gems, and still only made it to level 37; that was pretty much the kicker for me. Don't get me wrong, I really loved it for the time it had my attention and still totally recommend it to anyone, but I did hit a point where I felt I wasn't actually progressing and that was it for me. I don't even think I'd seen everything it had to offer; for example, I never got enough item duplicates to find out what the 'fuse' mechanic even did.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 17:30 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20911
I have fused, I've got pets that fight for me, the third level is waves of enemies not single rooms. I'm still enjoying it :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 17:36 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12788
Quote:
So WWZ: not bad so far but might get repetitive after a while. We shall see.


Turns out that World War Z does get repetitive after a while. Just on level 2 (of 3 levels) of Chapter 3 (of 4 chapters) and I’m just wanting it to end. There’s no tricks, no unique set pieces, nothing you haven’t already seen in the first Chapter.

Essentially it’s a one trick pony.

And one that dishes out XP far too slow for upgraded weapons that aren’t worth the time it would take playing levels over and over and over to grind XP to unlock.

*yawn*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:17 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12788
So like some kind of Retro game playing pleb I bust out the PS Vita last night.

I wanted to play Muramasa which I remember starting at some point and then being distracted and forgot about. Anyway, I turned on the PS Vita and got distracted and started playing Geo Wars 3. Fucking hell, man, that game was great and I hadn't finished the campaign so I spent a couple of hours blasting away at this level which was called Titan (or something) and was like Asteroids but in Geometry Wars! Amazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.