Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:23 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19081
Location: shropshire, uk
I got one of the free google home minis with spotify. I have been using it for a while, and love how I can control hive and listen to my pod casts. etc

I have been looking at the google home about £55 from CEX, are they worth the step up from the mini, is it just a bigger speaker?

I have noticed LG and Sony also go a google assist version, how do they compare to the google home.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:30 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20688
Just better sound quality I think.

I did the same and got the free mini from spotify. So far I use it as a timer for cooking, to cast podcasts to, and to tell me the weather and if my commute is fucked up as I get my breakfast.
It's convenient, but I could definitely live without it :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:32 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19081
Location: shropshire, uk
also its jokes are terrible :)

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52820
Location: Liberty City
They are great for adding baked beans to shopping lists and telling children off in different parts of the house.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:54 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 20160
My mother cooks for any number of people over a three storey house, so she uses it to announce that dinner is ready :D

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:55 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19081
Location: shropshire, uk
I can get one for Mini Kov's room, he uses it mainly for finding drop points on Fortnite :)

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:17 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66503
Location: Your Mum
Trooper wrote:
Just better sound quality I think.

You are correct. The software is the same.

Trooper wrote:
So far I use it as a timer for cooking

You'll be pleased to hear you can now just say "stop" to silence an alarm, without having to "OK Google" it first.

Mr Chonks wrote:
They are great for adding baked beans to shopping lists

The shopping list is pretty much universally-hated. There's not even a companion app! Fucking idiots.

Mr Chonks wrote:
telling children off in different parts of the house.

Again, it's not great for that either, because you can't specify where things are announced. It comes out of every Google Home you have (but, rubbishly, not your Chromecast Audio devices).

Protip for new users! Go into the app, find the accessibility options and turn on the noise when it starts to listen, it's a far nicer experience.
Protip #2! If you use the right accent you can activate it with "hey girl".
Protip #3! If you don't like your Mini's shitty sound quality you can pair it with a bluetooth speaker.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20688
Oooooh!

Stop for stopping alarm, super useful thanks.
Listen sound, again, super useful.
Pairing with a bluetooth speaker. Interesting, hadn't considered that, I think I have an old BOSE one kicking around, I shall experiment.

Thanks dude!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:33 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19081
Location: shropshire, uk
I have just turned on my listen sound... cheers

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52820
Location: Liberty City
Sorry, I was talking about voluntary surveillance devices in general.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20688
Educate me, does audio cast from your phone get classed as music when it comes to playback on google home?
I see that I can set a bluetooth speaker to be used for music, but is that only direct from the mini?

i.e. I cast my podcasts from my phone to the mini, I want that to come out the bluetooth speaker, will it?

I could try it myself, but that involves leaving the house to go buy a power supply, as i've lost the one for my bluetooth speaker.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 3345
Location: , Location, Location.
You're all fools. All your data are belong to them.

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 13:15 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20688
Trooper wrote:
Educate me, does audio cast from your phone get classed as music when it comes to playback on google home?
I see that I can set a bluetooth speaker to be used for music, but is that only direct from the mini?

i.e. I cast my podcasts from my phone to the mini, I want that to come out the bluetooth speaker, will it?

I could try it myself, but that involves leaving the house to go buy a power supply, as i've lost the one for my bluetooth speaker.


The answer to this is yes, casting to the mini gets treated as music and comes out the bluetooth speaker.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 16:17 
Best
User avatar
Board Mother

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 9891
Location: Mount Olympus
Grim... wrote:

Mr Chonks wrote:
telling children off in different parts of the house.

Again, it's not great for that either, because you can't specify where things are announced. It comes out of every Google Home you have.

I thought you could? I'm pretty sure we use it to "broadcast kitchen" etc. But I'll get Joans to clarify as I haven't used the feature for ages.

_________________
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GJ is right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smart Speakers - Google Home
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 21:26 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 8261
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Mr Chonks wrote:
telling children off in different parts of the house.

Again, it's not great for that either, because you can't specify where things are announced. It comes out of every Google Home you have.

I thought you could? I'm pretty sure we use it to "broadcast kitchen" etc. But I'll get Joans to clarify as I haven't used the feature for ages.

Me neither, sorry. Although I thought you had to say "broadcast message..."?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Findus Fop, Kris, MaliA, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.