Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Doom Eternal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Made more progress on NIGHTMARE last night. It's brutally difficult, but also completely fair, you're never in any doubt as to what killed you, what you did wrong, and what needs to be done differently next time.

I had to try one arena section about ten times, in fact I'll say easily ten times, but I enjoyed every single attempt, and each time my moves and kill priorities were getting honed and more effective, and the sense of satisfaction when I nailed it was off the charts.

Headphones at max volume are definitely the way to go. I actually swore at one point without even realising I'd done it, and when I removed myself from the DOOM ZONE, was admonished by my daughter for using a naughty word.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Does the sword have any usage limits or cool-down timers or does it turn you into (even more of) a straight-up killing and rampaging machine?

It needs ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:01 
Hello Hello Hello

This game defeated me on NIGHTMARE, I hit an arena section that I simply couldn't get past. And I don't mean I tried it a few times and then gave up, I spent two evenings on it, and then gave up, and dropped down to ULTRA VIOLENCE.

I came irritatingly close a few times but never quite managed to complete it. The game is brutally difficult on NIGHTMARE and you really need to be cycling through the various replenishment options (health, armour, ammo) on a regular basis, and swapping mods on weapons mid-combat. (So you're having to make sure you use your flame thrower thing, and do glory kills, and use the chainsaw when it's off cooldown, use blood punch when available, constantly dashing and jumping around (because you absolutely cannot stay still), switching guns and switching mods, it's a lot to juggle, all whilst an army of demons are actively hunting you down and trying to kill you.)

Ammo is irritatingly limited, I get that the chainsaw constantly refilling one charge is designed to replace plentiful ammo, but it still starts to get a bit trying.

The game also seems to expect you to get hit more than in DOOM 2016 as there's stuff that'd kill you on NIGHTMARE in that game, but doesn't in DOOM ETERNAL, almost like they know they've made the combat quite a bit fiddlier and compensated things in that regard.

Annoyingly, once I dropped down to ULTRA VIOLENCE I completed the section relatively easily, but I've decided to leave the game on ULTRA VIOLENCE for this playthrough, I might return for a full NIGHTMARE playthrough at a later date.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 15:31 
Worst

I like this thread. It's fun to read about a series when someone like Hearthly knows it in such detail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:26 
Hello Hello Hello

This really isn't as good as DOOM 2016, not by a long chalk.

I've knocked it down to HURT-ME-PLENTY now just to get through it, as the combat loop isn't immensely satisfying, just too many mechanics to juggle.

WHAT WILL MAKE THE DOOM GUY FEEL REALLY BAD ASS?

I know, let's have him constantly running out of ammo, that feels good.

Oh yeah, and lets introduce a load of extra buttons you have to press for no good reason, that'll be fun.

OH AND PLATFORMING, nothing screams DOOM more than fiddly fucking platform sections. And monkey bars, people have been screaming out for monkey bars.

Yes and let's have the player getting hit all the time, even on NIGHTMARE setting that won't be lethal, because we're tacitly admitting we've made combat fiddly compared to DOOM 2016.

And we'll throw in a boring story no one gives a fuck about.

PUZZLES, PEOPLE LOVE IRRITATING PUZZLES IN A DOOM GAME, LET'S DO THOSE.

I'd say DOOM 2016 is one of the best videogames of all time, and I made a case in its thread that it may just be THE best videogame of all time.

DOOM ETERNAL is 8/10 stuff IMO. When it fires on all cylinders it's still great, but it doesn't do so nearly often enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:50 
Rude Belittler

The Phobos level is the highlight of the entire game.I have a feeling it was done when Eternal was in its early stages. It has a sense of place the other levels lack, the BFG 10,000 firing in the background for most of it, the "that's a weapon not a teleporter" bit... it feels a bit more 2016-ish than the rest of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes I would agree with the above. I get that games aren't made by one person, Manic Miner style, and haven't been for decades, but holy crap Doom Eternal really feels like a game made by lots of different people in a way that 2016 never did.

2016 felt like it had a coherent design philosophy right the way through, and whilst there were only really two locations, they worked together and the story ran through them in a logical fashion.

Half the time I have no real idea where I am in Eternal or indeed why I'm there, or how the location is supposed to fit in with the story, which is weird since Eternal makes a big point of story, but I don't care about the story so I'm basically ignoring it.

That said, the levels I was doing last night were fantastic, a minimum of stupid platforming, lots of killing demons, and some decent fighting arenas to really go nuts in.

I've got the Super Shotgun fully upgraded and unlocked its mastery ability too, so that's a pretty devastating weapon now, even if the game doesn't want me to have enough ammo for it.

When this game works, it's amazing, but there's too much fluff and baggage in there for it to soar to the heights that 2016 did.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Custom PC pretty much nailing this game in their review IMO.

8/10 feels right to me.

Attachment:
DOOM_ETERNAL_01.jpg

Attachment:
DOOM_ETERNAL_02.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:06 
Hello Hello Hello

That is totally the right way up on my PC.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 
Rude Belittler

If Doom 2016 was a 9, I'd give Eternal a 7.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

Rootkit shenanigans abound though, users not happy, more at ten, over to the weather.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Well yes it's a kernel level driver but then again so is a lot of stuff. The shit bit is that it's being added after launch and it's only for anti-cheat in multiplayer, but the single player stops working if you don't install the fucker.

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2